Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

The Rosie Project (Don Tillman, #1)
This topic is about The Rosie Project
Archive > The Rosie Project Buddy Read - begins Oct. 23

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 5864 comments Mod
This is the thread for the buddy read of The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion, which begins on October 23, 2013. Everyone is welcome to join! Please feel free to post comments before, during, or after reading the book. Please add page numbers and spoiler tags when appropriate. Happy reading!

Synopsis:
An international sensation, this hilarious, feel-good novel is narrated by an oddly charming and socially challenged genetics professor on an unusual quest: to find out if he is capable of true love.

Don Tillman, professor of genetics, has never been on a second date. He is a man who can count all his friends on the fingers of one hand, whose lifelong difficulty with social rituals has convinced him that he is simply not wired for romance. So when an acquaintance informs him that he would make a “wonderful” husband, his first reaction is shock. Yet he must concede to the statistical probability that there is someone for everyone, and he embarks upon The Wife Project. In the orderly, evidence-based manner with which he approaches all things, Don sets out to find the perfect partner. She will be punctual and logical—most definitely not a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker, or a late-arriver.

Yet Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is also beguiling, fiery, intelligent—and on a quest of her own. She is looking for her biological father, a search that a certain DNA expert might be able to help her with. Don's Wife Project takes a back burner to the Father Project and an unlikely relationship blooms, forcing the scientifically minded geneticist to confront the spontaneous whirlwind that is Rosie—and the realization that love is not always what looks good on paper.

The Rosie Project is a moving and hilarious novel for anyone who has ever tenaciously gone after life or love in the face of overwhelming challenges.

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I'm in :)

message 3: by Annabel (new) - added it

Annabel (kirbyland1986) I'm in

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Excellent!

message 5: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4040 comments Mod
I'm in!

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yay!

Diane | 69 comments I'm in too!

Dana Farmer | 20 comments Can't wait! :)

Sarah | 1467 comments I want to. I am sooo behind in all my reading right now:(

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) I am on page 121 and its so hilarious that I can't but help laughing out loud.

Angela M I'm in too ! I need a feel good story !

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Awesome light right; just perfect for between heavy, "I've been thinking too much, need some fun" time!

Angela M I've been reading some heavy ones back to back so looking forward to this one, Cathie .

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) finished it off. Was a very hilarious respite for me. So much is being written nowadays about men and boys with something akin to Asperger. Do fictional females never suffer from such conditions?

Misha (itz_mie) | 365 comments got my copy... just can't wait to strt off.... :-)

message 16: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica (rickie1974) | 80 comments i am going to read this next ... if it is a light read that is what i need...

message 17: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments I'm going to try and join this one too :)

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yay! I am waiting on book to arrive. :)

message 19: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments I may need a reminder though! Lol! Allegiant is out the day (?) before this starts... I will more than likely read that first!

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joanne wrote: "I may need a reminder though! Lol! Allegiant is out the day (?) before this starts... I will more than likely read that first!"

We have a buddy read of Allegiant in November. I planned it then so that people would have time to get the book, but I don't think people are going to want to wait! lol I have to read it later because I still haven't had time to read Insurgent! I had better get to that soon.

message 21: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments Yeah, I've waited long enough! Lol! it will probably be one of this years winners too!

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm sure it will!

Misha (itz_mie) | 365 comments hey ladies, 've u all started with the book?? :-D

Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui (lifeisbooks) starting it now :)

message 25: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4040 comments Mod
Still in the middle of another book .... will start this asap.

Diane | 69 comments So behind in my reading endeavours.. *sigh*

Misha (itz_mie) | 365 comments started... quite hilarious from page one :-)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Because of Allegiant I'm much behind my schedule. I will come to this book next week most probably, but I will definitely join the discussion :)

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I haven't had much reading time, so I'm a bit behind too. I'm hoping to start next week.

message 30: by Anne (new) - added it

Anne | 16 comments I loved this book, I read it a month ago and I reckon its one of my favourite reads this year.

Marnie (marnie19) | 116 comments I'm planning on starting this today. I have read some intense books lately and this sounds like a nice change of pace.

Sarah | 1467 comments Chapter one - OK just started and I think it is funny the main character is going to give a lecture on Aspergers because I can't help but wonder if he has this.

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marnie wrote: "I'm planning on starting this today. I have read some intense books lately and this sounds like a nice change of pace."

Welcome to the buddy read Marnie. I have a similar situation - I've been reading a lot of thrillers (just finished The Passage, reading The Cuckoo's Calling & Doctor Sleep now, The Twelve is up next with a whole list of action type books), so I'm looking forward to something a bit different too.

Sarah | 1467 comments Me too. I am supposed to be reading The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson right now but too depressed right ow and needed something light not dark

Angela M I finished this book a few days ago and originally gave it 4 stars ,but then I thought about how good I felt after reading this and changed it to 5 stars. It is just that - a wonderful feel good story that made me laugh out loud and get a few lumps in my throat . It is funny , sad, quirky and much more. I fell in love with Don and Rosie . Looking forward to discussing it further when others have commented.

Sarah | 1467 comments I usually read more dark or intense books, but this is a great reprieve. Just what I needed. It feels good to laugh - and learn about Aspergers at the same time.

Angela M Sarah,
I felt the same way ! I usually read books that are pretty serious and many times sad . It's not that I don't love these books but The Rosie Project was a nice change for me . I hope you enjoy it as much as I did .

Pattie | 1 comments This was a great change of pace read for me: It was engaging, heartwarming, funny -- just what I needed this week. What a great feel good story that was well written. I understand it a sequel is in the works!

Marnie (marnie19) | 116 comments Just got through 5%
I was reading this on a plane today and found myself laughing out loud.
It cracks me up when people say outrageous things especially when they aren't trying to be hurtful.
(view spoiler)

message 40: by Yessi (new) - added it

Yessi Smith (emosewa_yessi) This is fantastic! I've been wanting a heartwarming read. Can't wait to start it

message 41: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4040 comments Mod
I'm at chapter 5 (page 35, 12% in) and loving it so far. Already had quite a few laugh out loud moments including ....

Sarah wrote: Chapter one - OK just started and I think it is funny the main character is going to give a lecture on Aspergers because I can't help but wonder if he has this.

..... when his wife's friend (who he suppose he could class as a friend too) asked him if he enjoyed giving the lecture and did it remind him of anyone :)

I did a big massive awwwwww when he was describing his relationship with his neighbour and the flowers, follwed quickly by a shocked OH! when he stopped visiting her!

Angela M I know what you mean , Lynn. The touching scenes just keep coming . While there are many lol moments , I had lump in my throat a number of times .

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Just started this today. Love his view of the world. Up to the part where he goes into his friends lecture at 5.00pm and tells everyone : "time's up, I have a meeting with Gene"

Ill definitely be encouraging my book friends to read this one and I'm only at 8%

Marielle Starting today!

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) (booklovercatlady) Started it last night! As a woman with Aspergers it's always interesting to read fiction with Aspergers characters to see how well the author is at portraying it. I have just finished reading "Rubbernecker" by Elizabeth Bauer in which the main character also has Aspergers and she did that really well. So looking forward to this one on a number of levels. :-)

message 46: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4040 comments Mod
Hey Maxine, I think I can speak for us all that it will definitely be interesting to hear your thoughts on the book. Do you think the author is doing a good job so far?

Angela M Maxine,
Looking forward to your views on the book when you finish.

message 48: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (bookhound18) | 814 comments I can't wait to read this now based on you guys enthusiasm for it! I just have to get my hands on a copy! :)

message 49: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alycia wrote: "I can't wait to read this now based on you guys enthusiasm for it! I just have to get my hands on a copy! :)"

I haven't started it yet either and I can't wait. I'm a little behind with other reads. I just need to finish Doctor Sleep, then I'm starting this one.

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Hi Maxine, I'm also interested to hear your thoughts. I added Rubbernecker to my TBR - looks good and has such good ratings.

« previous 1