Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

The Bridgertons: Happily Ever After (Bridgertons, #1.5-8.5; 8.6)
This topic is about The Bridgertons
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived: Series Reads > The Bridgertons: Happily Ever After (Bridgerton #9)by Julia Quinn START DATE: October 1, 2013

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

For the first time in print, New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn presents a collection of "second epilogues" to her Bridgerton series, previously published as e-originals, plus a new bonus Bridgerton novella: "Violet in Bloom," a short story in which we finally meet Edmund Bridgerton.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

We're wrapping up the Bridgerton series with this collection of 2nd epilogues that will give us one last look at this wonderful family!

As always, EXPECT SPOILERS!!

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments reserved

message 3: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'm in!

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I was wondering if we were doing this. I'm in!

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'll be lurking , I've read most of the second epilogues !

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Are we moving this to October, to make room for Kate?

message 7: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Are we moving this to October, to make room for Kate?"

sounds good to me!

June (ladyjune) | 315 comments I already read all the epilogues, can't wait to see what you ladies think about Violet's stories

message 9: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Ladies, I hope you don't mind, but the lovely Mods and I have decided to hold off on this one till October so you can all start the new series read, Kate Daniels.

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Sounds good to me.

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) | 506 comments I missed this thread originally, but it works out perfect I just got notice yesterday that it is on hold for me at the library. I'll pick it up on Monday.

message 12: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Super, Dawn!

message 13: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments My hold is not available yet.I hope I can get my hands on it before the end of October.

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I was bad and bought the audio today, even though I have it in Kindle format... at least, I think it is on my Kindle. LOL!

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments So, should we read this in three or four days? The chapters don't really divide up equally for either of those.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Im in , im in , im in.

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Great, Karen! How many days would you like us to take to read this one?

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) | 506 comments Note to self... make it into town tomorrow to the library.

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "Note to self... make it into town tomorrow to the library."

Ditto! Follow Dawn's note to self.

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Still haven't made it to the library. But, I'm going to get off GRs and get in the shower.

(view spoiler)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) | 506 comments Ha Ha

I just got back, now to fit in reading time...

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I would say a day or two , or if you ladies wanna make it longer i don't mind that too

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Oct 02, 2013 11:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I wish I could let go of the "just one more thing" compulsion I have when it comes to GRs.

Sooooo... how should we divide the chapters? Or should we go by stories? I think there are nine stories. Should we do three a day?

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

3 a day sounds perfect

its not just u Lisa kay , its all of us

message 25: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Not a lot of questions here, as these are basically sweet little short stories, but I'll give it a whirl:

The Bridgertons: Happily Ever After - #9.1, #9.2, #9.3

1. It is nice JQ is doing a little explanation about the aftermath of each book, by either the reaction of her fans, or her reasoning for things. Do you agree? Or did you know most of it already from blogs, etc.?

The Duke & I: 2nd Epilogue
2. Well, sounds like Daphne and Simon are having a “change-of-life” baby. My BFF was one and she grew up near the age of her nieces and nephews. Thoughts on this?

3. Did you know for certain Daphne was pregnant, or did you think it was something else?

4. I didn't even think about the consequences of having the last name of Basset, did you?

5. After reading the first book, did you feel the need to know what was in the letters from Simon’s father?

The Viscount Who Loved Me: 2nd Epilogue
6. Is the Pall Mall scene your favorite from all JQ’s books?

7. Did you like the playfulness and diabolical ruthlessness with regards to the game between Kate and Anthony, or did you think it was time for them to grow up?

8. Did you like the “two days prior,” “one day prior,” etc.?

9. Favorite scene in this one?

An Offer From a Gentleman
10. Were you surprised, pleased, disappointed, or what, when you discover this story was really more about Miss Posy Reiling? Or didn’t you feel that it was all about her, and that it had plenty of Sophie and Benedict?

11. What did you think of the “love at first sight” between Posy and the Vicar, Hugh Woodson? Were they kissing too soon?

12. This one had kind of an epilogue within an epilogue. Did you like that?

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 27: by June (last edited Oct 05, 2013 03:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

June (ladyjune) | 315 comments June's answer to Lisa K's qs

1. Yeah its nice to catch up with the Bridgertons again :D
The Duke & I
2. Well I actually hoped that their 2nd epilogue would be more about Simon interactions with his kids, like maybe he go fishing with his son, teach his daughters to waltz, etc, he was so alone before, it would be nice to see him as a father. The baby plot was nice, but a bit overdo, IMO.
3. Yeah I knew it.
4. LoL, no. I didn't remember Simon's last name was Basset. I rarely remember the heroes' names in historical romances, since they use their titles so much.
5. Not really.

The Viscount Who Loved Me
6. Yes!!!
7. LoL. We never grow up when it came to a game, Lisa :D
8. Its okay
9. Penelope's comments :D

10. I think it sweet that Posy also get her happy ending.

11. It mirrored Benedick and Sophie's story, isn't it?

12. Yeah I like it.

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments @ June

#1 - Yes, loved reading about the characters again.

#2 - Good point.

#5 - Yes, I didn't feel that urge, either.

#6 - LMBO! It is very funny and memorable.

#7 - True!

#9 - Yes, love Penelope.

#11 - Ah! Yes, it did.

#12 - I did really enjoy little Minty.

message 29: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Oct 11, 2013 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments And to continue…

Romancing Mister Bridgerton
13. I must admit, I was expecting Eloise to be told about Mrs. Whistledown somehow, in some volume of this series. And I agree that there really was no way to squeeze it into the story. Therefore, I’m glad this second epilogue covers it. Comments.

14. I love Colin and Penelope; they are one of my favorite couples in the series. It is nice to see them on their honeymoon. And I did like to see that all was well between Penelope and Eloise’s friendship. Comments.

15. However, Hyacinth is a stinker in this story. Right? She stole the thunder. Or did you find it funny?

To Sir Phillip, With Love
16. I don’t blame an author when they want to spread their wings. Nevertheless, this was one of my least favorites. Maybe I just don’t like first person POV. You?

17. Or maybe it was because it was about Amanda, mostly. Or that I didn’t warm to her. I thought her a little cold, saying she’d thought her mother could have committed suicide earlier. Weird. Plus, I felt the same way about Charlie, who slashed one of Dulcie’s sister’s dolls – even if it was in childhood. Comments.

18. Although, I did like the scene between Amanda and her father. Did you have a favorite scene in this one?

When He Was Wicked
19. Ah! The original book is one of my favorite in the series. A little darker and and little sexier, in my opinion. Same with this second epilogue. This is one of the few second epilogues I read when it first came out, since I like the book so much. Did you buy any before this collection?

20. I felt the scene between Francesca and her mother, Violet, was particularly poignant – again! It made me cry. **sniffle** Comments.

21. I was one of those fans who wanted to know if Francesca had her longed-for child. Were you?

22. I listened to this one on audio, and Michael’s Scottish accent was delicious. I don’t know why I didn’t think to add that in my brain when reading the book. Now I’ll have to listen to the audio. Anyway… favorite scene for you in this one?

message 30: by June (new) - rated it 4 stars

June (ladyjune) | 315 comments Aww this thread so quite, need a bit cheering up  photo tumblr_lyf0ph4tyH1r6s66vo1_500_zps5d33b57e.gif

Romancing Mister Bridgerton
13. This 2nd epilogue is not among my favorite, actually, but yes its nice we can see Eloise' reaction. Poor Eloise!!! The bestfriend was the last to know!
14. I love Penelope and I adore Colin, but their 2nd epilogue was not truly memorable,unlike Anthony's

15. Well, she's almost stole the show in Romancing, too :D

16. Somehow, I think its like Amanda wrote her story in her diary, or a letter to Eloise. I think it worked since Eloise also love writing, in her case letters.

17. I didn't remember that. I think she's not that bad, she just didn't know her mother enough to form an opinion, its like she merely stated a fact. Not sure about Charlie though, maybe the doll was really ugly, and he actually did a noble service to got rid it :D

18. It was sweet.

When He Was Wicked
19. This one another winner. Love it! And I adore little Charlotte (Anthony's daughter)!
20. Love mother-daughter moment!
21. I'm glad she finally got her wish to be a mother, among Bridgerton heroine, I think she is the most maternal type ( To be honest I can't really imagine Hyacinth being one! LoL)

22. Michael-Francesca-Charlotte scene, and then in the end with the baby and Violet :)

message 31: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments @ June

#15 - She did? I don't recall.

#19 - Adored Charlotte. I thought her scenes with Francesca were well done.

#21 - LOL!

#22 - Yes, Machael is a charmer, even to little girls.

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Love that puppy gif! ☺

message 33: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm going to get the book from the library today. Finally!

message 34: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Great! You can do the last set of DQs. LMBO! (view spoiler)

message 35: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments You scared me for a sec :D I'll come back with my comments !

message 36: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Neat.

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) | 506 comments So I've renewed this a few times from the library and still not through it. I am through the first set of questions.

1. I don't follow blogs so it is nice to see her thoughts on what she felt needed a follow up.

2. My only thought on the baby is better her than me. Yipes.

3. Yeah, I knew.

4. Like Jane said above, I didn't even think about it I am often confused by the referring of people by their titles. So confusing.

5. No, because I didn't really expect the father to have some great revelation in them that earned forgiveness.

6. Pall Mall is definitely up there in the favorites.I love that it is still tradition.

7. I liked that they still played around.

8. It set the scene that we know they had been plotting for days.

9. ??? hmmmm...not sure

10. I liked that there is a Posy story. I remmber in the books thinking, well what happened to Posy? Going to live with the Bridgertons had to have had some impact.

11. Love at first sight is always a little too mushy... maybe because I've never felt it. So a kiss I think was fine but the almost lying down, that was a bit much he is the vicar after all.

12. I honestly didn't even notice.

message 38: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments @ Dawn,

#2 - LMBO! Really.

#7 - ☺

#10 - Yes, I had wondered the same thing about Posy.

message 39: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Oct 31, 2013 02:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Not a lot of questions here, as these are basically sweet little short stories, but I'll give it a whirl:

The Bridgertons: Happily Ever After - #9.1, #9.2, #9.3

1. It is nice JQ is doing a little explanation about the aftermath of each book, by either the reaction of her fans, or her reasoning for things. Do you agree? Or did you know most of it already from blogs, etc.?
No I hadn't read any of those so it I thought it was nice to read them.

The Duke & I: 2nd Epilogue
2. Well, sounds like Daphne and Simon are having a “change-of-life” baby. My BFF was one and she grew up near the age of her nieces and nephews. Thoughts on this?
2 of my aunts have children the same age as their grandchildren even younger I'd say awkward :D

3. Did you know for certain Daphne was pregnant, or did you think it was something else?
Oh I knew ! it was obvious . how is it possible not to get pregnant for 17 years without any protection ,people get pregnant with protection

4. I didn't even think about the consequences of having the last name of Basset, did you?
Hahaa no but it was funny

5. After reading the first book, did you feel the need to know what was in the letters from Simon’s father?
It's been a really long time , I couldn't even remember there were letter ,let alone being curious about the content!!

The Viscount Who Loved Me: 2nd Epilogue
6. Is the Pall Mall scene your favorite from all JQ’s books?
I love it .

7. Did you like the playfulness and diabolical ruthlessness with regards to the game between Kate and Anthony, or did you think it was time for them to grow up?
Nah , I think they are great they way they are, what's the point of growing up?!

8. Did you like the “two days prior,” “one day prior,” etc.?
yes it showed and added to the excitement

9. Favorite scene in this one?
I can think many but the funniest one was when they all told Penelope No! that she can't talk to her husband and Simon said that he made no objection.
I loved the scene in shed when Kate tried to distract Anthony and then when she hit his ball and it went up the hill and then down! I think I can write the whole thing as my favorite :P

10. Were you surprised, pleased, disappointed, or what, when you discover this story was really more about Miss Posy Reiling? Or didn’t you feel that it was all about her, and that it had plenty of Sophie and Benedict?
I attempted to read this right after I finished the book a few years ago . but I couldn't get into it .I was disappointed that it wasn't about Sophie and Benedict but when I read it just now I loved it.It had perfect mix of everyone in it.

11. What did you think of the “love at first sight” between Posy and the Vicar, Hugh Woodson? Were they kissing too soon?
It was hilarious .Not realistic but so funny

12. This one had kind of an epilogue within an epilogue. Did you like that?
Yep .I enjoyed it

message 40: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments @ ShoSho

#3 – Oh, it happens!

#5 – I remembered there was a letter, but didn’t care at the time, nor now, really.

#7 – LBMO!

#9 – Yes, I enjoyed the shed scene, too.

#10 – Interesting how that happens, isn’t it?

message 41: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I finished all of them expect Hycinth's .
My God !The last one choked me up! It was soooo sad!

message 42: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments 15. However, Hyacinth is a stinker in this story. Right? She stole the thunder. Or did you find it funny?
I didn't think it was funny. she stole the thunder , it wasn't her place to do it. We still didn't see Eloise's reaction !

16. I don’t blame an author when they want to spread their wings. Nevertheless, this was one of my least favorites. Maybe I just don’t like first person POV. You?
Nope , not a fan of first of POV either. I only can listen to 1st POV. But this one was OK. I think JQ did a great job of it.

17. Or maybe it was because it was about Amanda, mostly. Or that I didn’t warm to her. I thought her a little cold, saying she’d thought her mother could have committed suicide earlier. Weird. Plus, I felt the same way about Charlie, who slashed one of Dulcie’s sister’s dolls – even if it was in childhood. Comments.
hmm yes the comment about the suicide did bother me too. the doll slashing didn't bother me!

18. Although, I did like the scene between Amanda and her father. Did you have a favorite scene in this one?
I can't think of anything

When He Was Wicked
19. Ah! The original book is one of my favorite in the series. A little darker and and little sexier, in my opinion. Same with this second epilogue. This is one of the few second epilogues I read when it first came out, since I like the book so much. Did you buy any before this collection?
Yep I read and loved this one. Francesca story was one of the best for me so was the epilogue

20. I felt the scene between Francesca and her mother, Violet, was particularly poignant – again! It made me cry. **sniffle** Comments.
I love Violet

21. I was one of those fans who wanted to know if Francesca had her longed-for child. Were you?
Hmmm I can't remember what I thought. I think I read the epilogue right after finishing the book so probably didn't even think about it

22. I listened to this one on audio, and Michael’s Scottish accent was delicious. I don’t know why I didn’t think to add that in my brain when reading the book. Now I’ll have to listen to the audio. Anyway… favorite scene for you in this one?
all of it .I can't pick . When michael was looking at her from the window or her talk with Violet or when violet was waiting for them and saw the baby or the scene where they started to suspect there was a baby

message 43: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments @ ShoSho

#22 - Yeah, I'm with you on this. LOL!

message 44: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Did you like Violet story?

message 45: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yes. I thought it was well done, considering how sad it was. I'm glad she had such a wonderful marriage and lovely children.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.