Jack Reacher Series discussion

General Topics > What Reacher should look like --

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy | 17 comments I just read about the man doing the voiceover for the UK VOD ad for Jack Reacher - - -his name is Glenn Wrage.
His photo is here - - (he's no Tom Cruise - fortunately)

http://glennwrage.com/resources/asset...

Yum!

message 2: by Brunhilde (new)

Brunhilde | 14 comments I think he is better than Tom Cruise, not perfect but much better.

message 3: by Bru (new)

Bru (brucoder) | 107 comments Mod
Judy I think that's a good choice! Wonder how tall he is?

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy | 17 comments hmm, apparently he is 6'tall - - - so he's what, maybe 6" taller than Cruise???
So I've been doing some research - for actors over 6' tall. Some are too young, some are too old. The following could be just right:
Josh Holloway (Sawyer from Lost)
Matthew Fox (Jack from Lost - he really bulked-up for the Alex Cross movie)
Armie Hammer (Lone Ranger & The Social Network movies) young, but maybe
Liam Neeson (maybe too old)
Hugh Jackman (has good potential for Reacher)
Joe Manganiello (36 yrs old, 6'5", on True Blood & Magic Mike - - - probably the best fit of the group)
Chris Hemsworth (Thor) (young)

message 5: by Dorothy (last edited Sep 09, 2013 07:56AM) (new)

Dorothy The more I read and I have read them all, and learning more of the author, this is my new image of Reacher. ?

Lee Child Lee Child

message 6: by Charlesa (new)

Charlesa Stewart | 1 comments I could definitely see Jim Caviezel as Jack Reacher. He's characters are always soft spoken and say very little but when he does speak watch out. Lee Child did say at a book signing that Tom Cruise really wanted the part of Jack Reacher and finding an actor that is excited to play a particular character is important. Was Tom Cruise MY first choice? No but no one asked me and I was not financing the movie. I hope there will be more Jack Reacher movies!

message 7: by Damon (new)

Damon (damonone) I've always pictured Dolph Lundgren, minus the accent. Same height, same age, same weight as Reacher. Wife says that kid that's currently playing Thor, not quite tall enough, but close. Plus he's huge.

message 8: by Mimelo (new)

Mimelo | 11 comments If you add about 30 pounds of muscle on the slim, lanky Child, I can see picturing him as Reacher easily.

Maybe it's because I'm not that tall myself, but I have no problem picturing Cruise as Reacher. The self-confidence, the intelligence, the determination -- they all fit my image of him from Collateral, Last Samurai and Minority Report. It doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the books -- I only read one before the movie, and I've read about TEN since.

I equate it with the Bond series. The first movies I saw were with Moore, with only parts of the Connery movies when they were on TV. I then started reading the Fleming books, and Connery fit the old Fleming novels for me, but then I pictured Moore when I read the John Gardner books written in the 80s. Now, if I re-read the classics, I can picture Craig in the role.

I wish other book fans would lighten up, but I guess I can't blame them for being protective of a character they enjoy.

message 9: by Dave (new)

Dave Berkers | 7 comments I JUST saw the movie today. I had been boycotting the movie, but decided to give it a shot. Its kind of funny how they are able to make Cruise look taller (the bar scene where he is half a head taller than nost of the people in the bar). I was pleased with the movie but had to check my 'Reacher knowledge' at the door and see it as pure entertainment. Like you all, i had been puzzled as to who should play Reacher, and the one actor that stood our was Vince Vaughan because of his size. I am not sure if he could pull off the tough stuff though. I think if Mickey Rourke were a bit younger, he also may have been a good fit. thoughts?

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy | 17 comments Dave - - camera angle is everything, isn't it? I also noticed that Cruise didn't look so short, but still - - he wasn't the big dude I was hoping for. And yeah, sometimes you have to turn off the "book" in your mind.

I personally can't comment on Vaughan or Rourke, as I'm not a fan of either. My FAVORITE actor is Russell Crowe, but he might be a couple years too old for Reacher. He can play big and bulky (Cinderella Man and L.A. Confidential come to mind). Oh well, we'll see.

message 11: by Brunhilde (new)

Brunhilde | 14 comments Judy wrote: "Dave - - camera angle is everything, isn't it? I also noticed that Cruise didn't look so short, but still - - he wasn't the big dude I was hoping for. And yeah, sometimes you have to turn off the..."
Love Russell Crowe. Hee can do anything in my book.

message 12: by Renee (new)

Renee | 1 comments i just saw Lee Child in person. He mentioned four actors that had enough box office appeal to play the part of Reacher; Matt Damon, Tom Cruise, Russell Crowe and Johnny Depp. His comment on Russell Crowe was he was "too fat and Australian" to play Reacher. He got a big laugh with that comment.

message 13: by Judy (new)

Judy | 17 comments So cool you got to see Lee Child - - - it's surprising to see his 4 choices are all under 6' tall. So he was looking for "box office appeal" and not true to story. However, I'm sure it's that way with most of the books to movies authors. I mean, why make a movie if you can't draw in the crowd to see it???

BTW, as a huge Crowe fan, to say he was too fat and Australian - - Mr. Child must not have seen RC's movies.

message 14: by Judy (new)

Judy | 17 comments Brunhilde - - -
I'm with you - - Russell can do anything, and I'm there!

message 15: by Juli (new)

Juli Temple (iowalass) | 5 comments From Lee Child's website:
Name Jack Reacher
Born October 29
Measurements 6'5", 220-250 lbs., 50" chest
Hair Dirty-blond
Eyes Ice Blue
Clothing 3XLT coat, 95 cm. pants' inseam

Yep...that's Reacher

message 16: by Judy (new)

Judy | 17 comments I don't remember ever seeing his age, but guess him to be 35-ish?? or late 30's??

message 17: by Dan (new)

Dan Randau | 9 comments I believe he was 30 in 1997 wasn't he?

message 18: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 1 comments I picture him to look like the guy who plays Damien Scott on "Strike Back." I know he's not quite tall enough, but few people are. Anyway, he's big and tough and still likeable. I could totally see him as Reacher.

message 19: by Mimelo (last edited Sep 23, 2013 02:55PM) (new)

Mimelo | 11 comments If they ever get movie sequels off the ground, Josh Holloway from "Lost" would be good. Early 40s, about 6'2", and can handle action roles. The 10 minutes he had at the start of Ghost Protocol made up a great action sequence all by itself.

message 20: by Brunhilde (new)

Brunhilde | 14 comments Seriously, and this is embarrassing, I never really picture his face. I get lost in the huge body. If the body is right I can deal with any face. And the way he carries himself. That is other thing that has to be just right about Reacher.

message 21: by Juli (new)

Juli Temple (iowalass) | 5 comments I agree! It's the size and the ice blue eyes!!!

message 22: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandyclaus30) | 1 comments That Glenn Wrage is very yum!

message 23: by Aidan (new)

Aidan | 2 comments Dolph Lundgren 10 or 20 years ago in his prime would have had the perfect look. Perfect height, build, and hair, but his acting and accent wouldn't cut it.

Liam Neeson is a little too old now, and unfortunately was already too old when he started playing badasses (Taken). And even though he's one of my favorite actors, I don't see him as the Jack Reacher type.

Chris Hemsworth is currently too young to play Reacher.

Hugh Jackman and Jim Caviezel would both be decent choices. They both have close to the build if not the blond hair. And Caviezel already plays a similar badass character in Person of Interest.

But overall, after seeing the movie I thought Tom Cruise was a pretty good choice. His acting was great. And even though I knew in reality he was too old, he didn't look it.

message 24: by Dan (new)

Dan Randau | 9 comments I like Clive Owen and he's 6'2"

message 25: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Laursen | 9 comments In my mind I see Rutger Hauer as Jack Reacher.
I picture he has the same character as Jack. And he is tall and well built. Sadly I wonder if he is not too old.

message 26: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Laursen | 9 comments Dan wrote: "I like Clive Owen and he's 6'2""

Clive is a good choice. Not bad.

message 27: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Laursen | 9 comments Renee wrote: "i just saw Lee Child in person. He mentioned four actors that had enough box office appeal to play the part of Reacher; Matt Damon, Tom Cruise, Russell Crowe and Johnny Depp. His comment on Russe..."

Russel Crowe would look fine as Jack. Can picture that. Matt Damon too could be a candidate. He was awesome in Bourne. Depp seem to delicate.

message 28: by Thomas (last edited Nov 12, 2013 12:33AM) (new)

Thomas Laursen | 9 comments Judy wrote: "So cool you got to see Lee Child - - - it's surprising to see his 4 choices are all under 6' tall. So he was looking for "box office appeal" and not true to story. However, I'm sure it's that wa..."

Yes I agree it is wrong to see to box office appeal.
I like Crowe too. His face is easy to see as Jacks.

message 29: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Laursen | 9 comments Judy wrote: "hmm, apparently he is 6'tall - - - so he's what, maybe 6" taller than Cruise???
So I've been doing some research - for actors over 6' tall. Some are too young, some are too old. The following co..."

Not Josh Holloway. He looks too young. Unexperienced look. Jack has that look in his face you get respect just to look at him. Take a look at Rutger Hauer he comes close to that face.

message 30: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Laursen | 9 comments In my mind I see Rutger Hauer as Jack Reacher.
I picture he has the same character as Jack. And he is tall and well built. Sadly I wonder if he is not too old.

message 31: by Chris (new)

Chris Juricich | 5 comments I kinda picture Robert Mitchum as Reacher, though obviously a dead man won't play out, but I see him as tall and muscled, obviously, with a craggy, broken nose type of face. But yeah, Robert Mitchum.

message 32: by H.hartmann (new)

H.hartmann | 2 comments Anybody but Tom Cruise. The actor that plays the lead role in Longmire....minus them cowboy hat of course.

message 33: by Dave (new)

Dave Berkers | 7 comments I know that I have suggested this before, but the more i think about it, Mickey Rourke would be a good candidate. He has the 'weathered look' from years of hard living (looks like a mile of bad road!) and the physical presence. he also can pull off the bad-ass tough guy vibe that I envision Reacher having....

message 34: by Oonagh (new)

Oonagh Sloan | 1 comments Anyone but Tom Cruise!

message 35: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Laursen | 9 comments I can play Jack Reacher! I have that look.

message 36: by Bru (new)

I have to go with Ray Stevenson..

http://www.imdb.com/list/zJltbjbxvME/

Add some grey sideburns and you got him, lol.

message 37: by J.T. (new)

J.T. Patten (jtpattenbooks) | 3 comments Josh Brolin if they could grow him 5"

message 38: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Stewart | 4 comments Movie magic can make someone seem taller/bigger through angles, lighting and even standing the lead actor on a box (it happens). So I wouldn't be too hung up on the height of the actor, for me it's the look and attitude. A couple of commenters mentioned some options that I hadn't thought of: Hugh Jackman, who can definitely pull off the physical side of Reacher, and Josh Holloway, who I wouldn't have picked from "Lost" but has the feel in "Intelligence".

message 39: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Stewart | 4 comments Scott wrote: "Josh Brolin if they could grow him 5""

Josh Brolin looked pretty tall in The Goonies!

message 40: by Annie (new)

Annie | 1 comments I think Cruise got the attitude and character down, he's obviously a fan. He clearly doesn't look like him but I'd say he did Reacher justice and that's important. You could have someone that was Reacher physically but just couldn't get the act right, and that would be worse for me :)

message 41: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Stewart | 4 comments Annie wrote: "I think Cruise got the attitude and character down, he's obviously a fan. He clearly doesn't look like him but I'd say he did Reacher justice and that's important. You could have someone that was ..."

I agree Annie, Cruise does a good action hero. Real life size isn't the main thing. I didn't think the movie was so good, but it wasn't because of Cruise.

message 42: by Bru (new)

If height isn't an issue, how does Tom Cruise go up against the Cornhuskers football jocks in "Worth Dying For?" Will the jocks be played by kids from the local midget football team (kind of like the tiny guys they picked for the brawl in the movie)?

"The engine idled. The doors opened. Two guys climbed out.

They both looked like Brett, only bigger. Late twenties, easily six-six or six-seven, probably close to three hundred pounds each, big waists made tiny by huge chests and arms and shoulders. They had cropped hair and small eyes and fleshy faces. They were the kind of guys who ate two dinners and were still hungry afterward. They were wearing red Cornhuskers football jackets made gray by the blue light from the cabin's eaves." (pg. 41, Worth Dying For).

The whole novel revolves around these massive gladiators that keep popping up. How do you pull that off with a guy that probably comes up to their belly buttons?

If Tom Cruise wants to play an action figure just play an action figure with a different name. But don't take an established character that has a huge following and recreate him into something he isn't. That's just poor casting.

message 43: by Bru (new)

I guess the burning question is, "Will this movie ever be remembered by anyone?"

What is so sad is the missed opportunity here. I remember seeing, "From Russia With Love" as a kid. Sean Connery (6'3") going up against Robert Shaw (5' 11") in the tight confines of a railway car. No real special effects. Just two juggernauts going at it in a fight to the death. Nothing pretty, nothing campy. No karate kicks. Nothing that looked like it wasn't actually happening. A scene burned into all of our memories forever.

That's what I want in a Jack Reacher movie. I want to see that scene again. I want to see chairs and tables disintegrating into toothpicks as two enormous gladiators fight to the death with no special effects. I want to see the real Jack Reacher as portrayed in the books. Not some egotistical 5'5" punk jump out of a rolling car and disappear into a group of people because he is the shortest person in the crowd. This movie will disappear into obscurity like all the other formula crap Hollywood pumps out. It is such a missed opportunity for something that could have been a classic blockbuster franchise.

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bandukwala | 2 comments What about Dwayne Johnson? Fits the bill.

message 45: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Hudson (docnancy) Cruise bought the rights to the movie versions so I will assume if they make more he will continue to be in it. Which is BS. I thought the movie was OK but he was no Reacher.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bandukwala | 2 comments Just watched Intelligence tv series. I think Josh Holloway would be perfect for the role.

message 47: by J.T. (new)

J.T. Patten (jtpattenbooks) | 3 comments Holloway could be strong. He'd be good to see in some action adventure big screen roles with grit and snark.

message 48: by Erik (new)

Erik Barnes | 3 comments Liev Schreiber.. has the height 6'3"

message 49: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 2 comments Liev Schreiber whines.

message 50: by Parker (new)

Parker (paraprax) Kevin Durand, Kevin Durand, Kevin Durand. This guy: http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photo...

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photo...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31...

He's 6'6 and jacked, but aside from his ideal size and colouring.... he embodies the three most important traits Reacher needs to have on screen -

1) Easy charm and likability. We need to understand, without a second thought, why people wouldn't be completely on-edge around this hulking killing machine. Why young women feel safe around him, not threatened.

2) Ferocity. The second he's mad, there is no doubt he could murder three men with his bare hands(and forehead) and eat the bones. His fight scenes on LOST were savage and mesmerizing.

3) Silence. Reacher needs to be the most interesting, irresistible character in the room even when completely, inertly quiet. Durand has a chilling intensity and just an amazing face, almost supernatural-looking.

He's got all the specs, he's a great actor, he's the right age and he's even blondish. I sorely hope he gets to play Reacher someday, especially if they do a much-needed TV series.

« previous 1