All About Books discussion

Book Chat > Pick My Next Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 242 (242 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11958 comments Mod
If you are unsure what to read next, why don't you have other members pick what you should read.

You can either post a link to your to-read list or write out a list of books you have lying around waiting to be read.

message 2: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13414 comments Mod
Good idea Alannah!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Great idea! May help me a lot, as I'm quite indecisive lol.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) Mine are normally determined by due dates on the library books! Will be happy to participate though.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Paul wrote: "Mine are normally determined by due dates on the library books! Will be happy to participate though."

Me too! I think I might need a library ban so I can read some of the stuff on my own shelves :P

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) Leslie wrote: "Paul wrote: "Mine are normally determined by due dates on the library books! Will be happy to participate though."

Me too! I think I might need a library ban so I can read some of the stuff on my..."

me too! I am a member of several libraries which doesn't help...

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments What book on my Kindle should I read next:

The Sea and The Silence by Peter Cunningham (for our Sea theme)
The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad (guardian list classic thriller)
January Exposure by Sunny Benson (mystery set in North Dakota for my Read the USA challenge)
A Room with a View by E.M. Forster (guardian list classic for readalong with Laura)

message 8: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Hey leslie why don't you do a room with a view next? That way you can get your readalong done. :-)

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Amber wrote: "Hey leslie why don't you do a room with a view next? That way you can get your readalong done. :-)"

Thanks Amber, sounds like a plan :)

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) No problem Leslie. ^_^ I hope you enjoy reading it. I got Styxx by Sherrilyn Kenyon to read next and I don't know what I'll read after that from my to-read list. I'll figure it out.

message 11: by Abi (new)

Abi (abi_b) OK, Currently reading the Mystery of Ediwn Drood, but I tend to read two books at a time and could do with a hand in chosing my second book! Here's a list of the books that I currently own, but haven't read - http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/... - any thoughts/reccommendations? Don't think I want to read another 'classic' whilst reading Drood, but I'm open to anything else!

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments How about The Line of Beauty Abi? I tried ruling out everything that is either a classic or another mystery, and this one was the one that kind of jumped at me. Plus you have two books by him in your shelf still waiting to be red, this might be a nice one to start?

message 13: by Alannah (new)

Abi wrote: "OK, Currently reading the Mystery of Ediwn Drood, but I tend to read two books at a time and could do with a hand in chosing my second book! Here's a list of the books that I currently own, but ha..."

I recommend Belle, I haven't read it myself but have heard great things about it. It's really easy to read apparently if you want that after a classic.

message 14: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Hmmm...once I am done with The Hobbit, I wonder: Middlemarch or A Room with a View?
Leslie, will you be starting the latter soon?

BTW: Alannah, I was wondering whether this thread might be better in "Book Chat"?

message 15: by Alannah (new)

Jenny wrote: "Hmmm...once I am done with The Hobbit, I wonder: Middlemarch or A Room with a View?

BTW: Alannah, I was wondering whether this thread might be better ..."

I have been thinking that myself. I can change it if you think it would be best as well?

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Jenny wrote: "Hmmm...once I am done with The Hobbit, I wonder: Middlemarch or A Room with a View?

BTW: Alannah, I was wondering whether this thread might be better ..."

Yes, probably tomorrow.

I agree that Book Chat seems more appropriate for this thread. Alannah, if you have trouble moving it just let Jenny or me know & we can help.

message 17: by Abi (new)

Abi (abi_b) Thanks for the recommendations Jenny and Alannah. Think I'll start with Belle then go on to The Line of Beauty after - its quite a hefty book so choosing to go with the 'lighter' option first!

message 18: by Alannah (new)

That's it done. :)

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments @Abi, you're welcome

@Leslie, that makes two of us then.

message 20: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Hey guys, I will need something to read next after I finish styxx by sherrilyn kenyon. I have a few on my tablet i'd like to read next so after styxx should I read Unicorn Western, Japanese Fairy Tales, The King in Yellow and Other Horror Stories, The Haunted HouseThe Legend of Sleepy Hollow or the bat by mary roberts rinehart. I saw a film version of the bat that starred vincent prince and endora from betwitched last year for halloween and it was a pretty good film. Please let me know what book on my tablet I should check out and I will when I get finished with styxx. Thanks guys! :-)

message 21: by Alannah (new)

When I finished Harvesting the Heart, I have

You Against Me
A Dangerous Inheritance
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
What should I read first?

message 22: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Amber wrote: "Hey guys, I will need something to read next after I finish styxx by sherrilyn kenyon. I have a few on my tablet i'd like to read next so after styxx should I read Unicorn Western, Japanese Fairy T..."

Sorry about my previous post (I have deleted it). Anyway, I don't know most of these but I would recommend The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

message 23: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Thanks leslie, I'll have to think about it. Unicorn western is 89 pages though. :-)

message 24: by Sabine (new)

Sabine | 15 comments i'll go on a long train ride tomorrow and i can't decide between these two books:

Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl
marisha pessl - special topics in calamity physics

OR

philip roth - der menschliche makel (the human stain)
The Human Stain by Philip Roth

hm? :)

message 25: by Alannah (new)

comehome wrote: "i'll go on a long train ride tomorrow and i can't decide between these two books:

OR

phi..."

The Human Stain looks like it would be perfect for your long train journey.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone! I have a very long haul flight next week (I'll be travelling over 24hours, seriously long haul). I have my kindle with loads of things on it but I want a audiobook for if I get too tired to read. It doesn't have to be on my TBR but needs to be good quality, preferable a good reading of a classic I haven't read yet. Any ideas?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Also, where does everybody get audiobooks from? I find Audible scarily expensive

message 28: by Amber (last edited Sep 12, 2013 10:28AM) (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Hey Heather,I recommend Doug Bradley's Spinechillers. They are classic horror short stories and poems read by actor Doug Bradley. I got Doug Bradley's Spinechillers, Vol. 6volume 6 as an audiobook cd, but u can get them for 99 cents to $3 at their official website http://www.renegadeartsentertainment.com as an mp3 file.

message 29: by Amber (last edited Sep 12, 2013 10:33AM) (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) U can also get them on the overdrive library catalog for free. Just got to look up your local library on the http://search.overdrive.com/ website and click on library search then you'll go to that website and enter in your local library and library card #. they have audiobooks and ebooks you can borrow for free.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I assume as I'm UK based that I won't be able to use the free ones but the Spinechillers look good. Nice and short so I can change between activities on my flight

message 31: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Heather wrote: "Hi everyone! I have a very long haul flight next week (I'll be travelling over 24hours, seriously long haul). I have my kindle with loads of things on it but I want a audiobook for if I get too tir..."

Hi Heather, I would recommend Skellig, which is a great story, read by the author, David Almond. I know it's not a classic as such, but it's a great book for a journey, as I have listened to it on a long journey once, and when we arrived there was still five minutes left, and we sat in the car until it had finished, even though we had arrived!

message 32: by Jenny (last edited Sep 12, 2013 11:50AM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments comehome wrote: "i'll go on a long train ride tomorrow and i can't decide between these two books:

OR

phi..."

I would also go for The Human Stain comehome! (and on a side note: it very nice that you are here, eventhough I will have to get used to talking to you in English ;)
Where does the train ride take you?

message 33: by Sabine (new)

Sabine | 15 comments Thank you Alannah and Jenny, it's already packed in my bag now!

Jenny, thank you, this is really a wonderful group here :) I will visit my parents for the weekend, and it will be lots of reading time for me, i love it :)

message 34: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Heather wrote: "Also, where does everybody get audiobooks from? I find Audible scarily expensive"

Audible has a bunch of classics for $0.99 if you "buy" the Kindle book first (the Kindle books are free) - look for "Whispersync for Voice" in the Amazon Kindle store.

There are also 5 classics for free -
The Scarlet Letter (but a pretty bad narrator);
The Heart of Darkness
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Moll Flanders

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Leslie wrote: "Heather wrote: "Also, where does everybody get audiobooks from? I find Audible scarily expensive"

Audible has a bunch of classics for $0.99 if you "buy" the Kindle book first (the Kindle books are..."

Thanks Leslie. Will try the Whispersync. I found Wuthering Heights narrated by a very posh English lady so I might give that a go

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

It appears, yet again, that you can't sync the classics in the UK Kindle yet. I have an old kindle as well with a very bad automated voice. Will have to keep searching!

message 37: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments @Heather - you don't have to actually listen through your Kindle. I use my iPod Touch to listen. I am pretty sure the Whispersync deals are available in the UK but you could check in the Goodreads Audiobooks group.

message 38: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (lanybum) Heather wrote: "It appears, yet again, that you can't sync the classics in the UK Kindle yet. I have an old kindle as well with a very bad automated voice. Will have to keep searching!"

Hi Heather,

I just mentioned it in another thread but I know some libraries in the UK offer free audiobooks which you can download onto your phone. If you can renew or reserve books online have a look at what else they offer (it took me a while to find it). I've been listening to a lot of audiobooks recently this way. If your library doesn't offer it, perhaps suggest it.

message 39: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments comehome wrote: "Thank you Alannah and Jenny, it's already packed in my bag now!

Jenny, thank you, this is really a wonderful group here :) I will visit my parents for the weekend, and it will be lots of reading t..."

Viel Spass! ;)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm undecided between:

The Book Thief
Uglies
Amity & Sorrow
Daughter of Smoke & Bone
The Husband's Secret

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

message 41: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Hey Becca, I took a look at all of them and I say you should check out The Husband's Secret because that one looked pretty interesting. ^_^

message 42: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Becca wrote: "I'm undecided between:

The Book Thief
Uglies
Amity & Sorrow
Daughter of Smoke & Bone
The Husband's Secret

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)"

Becca, the only one I have read is The Book Thief, which was a good read - so I'd recommend that one.

message 43: by Alannah (new)

Becca wrote: "I'm undecided between:

The Book Thief
Uglies
Amity & Sorrow
Daughter of Smoke & Bone
The Husband's Secret

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)"

I strongly recommend The Book Thief, did take me a while to really get into it but I loved it!

message 44: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments LOVED the Book Thief! ;)

message 45: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13414 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "LOVED the Book Thief! ;)"

Me too!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks folks! :-) The Book Thief it is.

message 47: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 456 comments I only have the Book Thief on my kindle and I'm lending it to my sister in law whilst they go on holiday, otherwise I'd have read with you, Becca!

I can't decide between..

A Thousand Splendid Suns
The Chaperone
Pigeon English

That's all I'm going to short list, otherwise it could be a very long list!

Great idea by the way, Alannah!

message 48: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) The Chaperone looks interesting Gemma. You should check that one out. Its the most interesting of the three I looked at. ^_^

message 49: by Jenny (last edited Sep 19, 2013 12:00PM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments I did the, "what-did-my-friends-rate-it" test for you Gemma (since I havent't read any of them myself) and A Thousand Splendid Suns definitely wins (Pigeon English comes last) However I personally would be tempted to go with The Chaperone as well.

message 50: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I've read two of them - "A Thousand..." and "Pigeon English" and I would definitely recommend "A Thousand..."

« previous 1 3 4 5