What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Shy, clumsy, unexperienced or otherwise "imperfect" heroes

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 271 comments I recently enjoyed reading Pricks and Pragmatism by J.L. Merrow, it features 2 very different MCs, one a hot and "street-wise" guy, the other a shy and "hopeless" nerd. Needless to say, the two learn to know each other and fall in love. I found the story very funny and endearing. Another "nice" and "beta" hero I loved was in Cotillion by G. Heyer.

I'd like to know if you can suggest other examples of books with shy, clumsy, unexperienced or otherwise "imperfect" heroes, not gorgeous, not supersexy, maybe matched with their exact opposites

If possible, with a light-hearted tone, funny but not "no brain" reads; I like plots that show some originality and don't only repeat the same old tropes over and over

It doesn't have to be only a M/M romance, it can be M/F, as well as historical

Thank you very much :-)

message 2: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 391 comments But you do want a romance novel.

message 3: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 271 comments Yes, but anyway feel free to suggest anything that you think fits, I will check

message 4: by Feliks (last edited Sep 02, 2013 10:15AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) The Man from Greek and Roman: A novel
a forgotten thriller novel written by playwright James Goldman, brother of William.

What Do Women Want?
Gets my vote for the funniest modern rom-com novel--perhaps, ever--outside of Noel Coward.

V.
In Pynchon's epic "V."; Benny Profane (the protag) is a sort of schlemiel. Yet, he must piece together the story behind his father's mysterious disappearance in the Mid-East years ago.

Pretty Poison
From whence came the famous movie. The protag here is a young man who can't keep out of reformatories.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Actually Heyer (isn't she a GREAT writer?) had several heroes who kind of fit your parameters.

message 6: by Chelle (new)

Chelle | 1 comments Carla Kelly's "Libby's London Merchant" is one of my favorites - and definitely the kind of hero you're looking for.

For something very different - "To Say Nothing of the Dog" by Connie Willis.

message 7: by Jesse (last edited Sep 06, 2013 10:45AM) (new)

message 8: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 271 comments Thank you very much everybody for your suggestions, I'll check them :-)

MB (What she read) | 136 comments I believe either Dearauthor.com or the website All About Romance has a pretty good list of romances with this trope. I suggest searching for a list of 'Beta Heroes'.

message 10: by Moira (new)

Moira (11moira) | 251 comments Ooh you should read Picture Me Perfect by Stormy Glenn. It's a really nice series with opposite attracts, I especially like the second one!

message 11: by Empress (last edited Sep 23, 2013 12:55PM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) | 228 comments Blunder Woman: This book was given to me from the author to listen and I totally loved it. I do not read romances and many comedies, and while this is classified as a romance it is more of a comedy. As I listened to the book, I don't know if the paper version is as good, but the narrations is great. And yes, she is imperfect, clumsy and as far as I was told not all of it is fiction.

message 12: by Yue (new)

Yue | 137 comments The Student Prince: MM romance, fanfiction. Arthur/Merlin. Super funny, and Merlin is just the character you are looking for.