Start by marking “The Student Prince (The Student Prince, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Student Prince (The Student Prince, #1)

The Student Prince

(The Student Prince #1)

A modern day (BBC) Merlin AU set at the University of St Andrews, featuring teetotal kickboxers, secret wizards, magnificent bodyguards of various genders, irate fairies, imprisoned dragons, crumbling gothic architecture, arrogant princes, adorable engineering students, stolen gold, magical doorways, attempted assassination, drunken students, shaving foam fights, embarrass ...more
Published July 10th 2010 by Archive of Our Own

To ask other readers questions about The Student Prince, please sign up.
Pam It's definitely not necessary. I have never seen the show and quite enjoyed the book. It tells it's own story.…moreIt's definitely not necessary. I have never seen the show and quite enjoyed the book. It tells it's own story.(less)

Start your review of The Student Prince (The Student Prince, #1)
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
"...the inescapable knowledge that this was finite, was stolen, was not supposed to be."

description

Talking Dragons, Magic, Gay Wizard, Gay Prince, Sexual Tension, Phone Prank Wars, Love Potions, Fairies, Hammer Dance, Queer Romance and Clever Writing. Not to mention this is a free read.

Have I won you over yet?

_________________

The Story
To start, I should probably mention that this is web published fan fiction. Before you already start putting up guards (and in all defense, totally understandable)
Judith
5 + Stars.

I'm more than giddy after reading this.I just loved every word from beginning to end and this little gem is why I absolutely LOVE reading and LOVE getting swept away in a book that you simply can't put down and don't want it to end.

The writing,characters,story telling .....just brilliant.

A modern twist on the legendary story of King Author and Merlin....yes,I was sceptical because this wouldn't normally be my go to thing but it was brilliantly done with truly engaging characters.

-the s
Dd
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it

Oh my,my!!What a delicious cocktail this was.

FUN.FUN.FUN.

CRAZY.CRAZY.CRAZY.

And I savoured it till the very last drop.

What can I say,it had all my favourite ingredients....

Magic, warlocks, a Prince (not so charming), dragons, fairies, assassins.....and so on.

See? What's not to like?

This tale is about Prince Arthur and Merlin the wizard.

Now,don't confuse it with old tale we know.

Remember...details do change.

And oh,how they changed!!!**sigh**

So you don't have to worry about an old man with a hu
Ami

Where is the 10 stars rating when I need one?!?

I rarely give out 5-stars, even for books I love. By the time I am writing this down, I only list 86 books out of 2,699 that I have rated here, which means it's not even 5%.

But this book is just BLOODY BRILLIANT. Now, I wonder if I compare all those 5-stars rating books, will they even deserve it? Because it'll be hard for another story to match this one. I can't believe that this is available for readers without having to pay any darn cents!

Th
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
"The Student Prince" had everything I love in a book. Humor? Check. Great chemistry? Check. A quirky or unusual story? Check and check! Oh my, this just was everything for me.

I wasn't familiar at all with the Merlin/Arthur storyline when I started reading this one. I mean, I vaguely remembered them from childhood stories but nothing substantial. Thankfully, I didn't need any prior knowledge of the tale to love this book. And the fact that it was free? Holy mother did I luck out!

I think what re
Julio Genao
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Julio by: Emma Sea
Shelves: fanfic
Very British.

A true delight if you're into puns and sexual tension and skinny boys with long limbs and a fetish for bacon butties.

I liked that it's not precisely a fanfic; it owes as much to The Sword in the Stone as to The Mists of Avalon, and I think co-opting the Merthur iconography (Merlin's big ears, Arthur's posh condescension) was a successful gambit—especially since it's set in modern Britain, not the Dark Ages.

Many, many UK references. In fact, pretty much all the humor is UK-derived, s
Kat
Re-read -- the podfic this time, woo! -- for the holidays *megawatt smile*.

November 2013 Oi! I’m sure my UK based friends will snort at this confession, but the scones and English Breakfast tea that I had bought especially for a dreary November afternoon on the sofa with The Student Prince, made reading this truly and thoroughly British book an even more dorktastic experience. Repeat after me, my pillocks: fanfic is free, fabulous and few published fics are more fantastic!

An ode to fanfic!

...a
Meags
5 “This fanfic needs to be published, like, yesterday!” Stars

FayJay states in her bio that she loves narrative - and I have to say, I loved her narrative with a fiery passion that cannot (and will not) be contained!

This review will (hopefully) make sense to those who have read this story, but to those who have not, the following may appear to be nothing more than the incoherent ramblings of a seemingly deranged book-lover. Either way, buckle up, because I have shit to say!

Firstly, this is an ou
Chris, the Dalek King
One thing I think you should know about me: I hate the Arthurian legend. I despise it. If it was possible to throw a party to its demise and watch as it slowly drowned in a vat of maple syrup, I'd be the happiest man on the face of the planet. I don't like the original source material (stupid English 101) and I have wanted to burn just about every movie, tv show, and book, play, or song sung by the wino on the corner, to ash.

Except I kinda have a thing for the BBC Merlin series. I wouldn't call
LenaLena
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fanfic-merthur
This book may just have officially entered my top 10 of awesome free reads. 'May' because I don't actually have a top 10 written down anywhere and I am not about to take time to make one now, but, believe me, it's up there. It is that good. And by good I mean funny and entertaining. Not 'wow, that's deep, let me reconsider the choices I have made in my life' kinda good. Which is good, really, because who has time for that kinda good? Maybe when my kids have gone through college and are out of my ...more
Kaje Harper
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a delight. This book is funny, sweet, and entertaining with a warm heart and a few moments of understated angst. It's very British in tone and language and that's part of its charm. I'm told it's fanfic, but I have no knowledge if the fandom from which it is ficked, and that felt unnecessary, as long as the Arthur/Merlin referents are generally recognizable. Those are definitely part of the fun. Although, in fact, I bet this could be read without the cultural references (of which there are ...more
Rosa, really
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rosa, really by: Meep

As a member of TeamPeen! (a subset of Club Perv) I would've liked some of this a little earlier and more often:

But other than that and some other minor complaints, it was adorable, funny and so very fluffy.

I'll definitely be rereading this one.

Thanks for the BR, Otila & Jen! (And Meags, Meep & Maygirl7!)
Simone
DNF @43% and no rating

It's totally on me, I probably never should have started to read it in the first place since I'm not a fan of YA/NA. I know I'm disappointing a lot of people and I'm really sorry.

Fans of YA/NA stories will love it. It's absolutely well written and funny as hell, but the story is not my thing and after the umpteenth drinking game I'm giving up. 🙁
Macky
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
To all the m/m lovers out there this is a hard sell , recruiting review! READ THIS BOOK YOU TWATWAFFLES, ITS BLOODY BRILLIANT AND IT'S FREE. Come on, what more could you ask for? Here follows a list of why this book should be read:

1. Merlins sexy and gay... That's awesome in itself!
2. Arthur's sexy and gay ... That's even more awesomerer! ( ok not a word but it sounds good)
3. It's FREE.. ( I know said that already but its a biggie), it's really decent length and it's well written and its FREE -
Karla
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it

4.25 stars**

So good, and sweet and funny and deliciously hot! I enjoyed this book throughly and I’ve never even watched the show! It kinda of reminded me a tiny bit of Harry Potter just because of the magic.

Anyway “the student prince” was a pleasant surprise. I loved both MC Merlin and prince Arthur. When they first meet at school they don’t like each other but their banter was so funny with their British slang it really had me cracking up. Their relationship was slow burn regardless though you
Irina Elena
Okay, so I'll try to get this out of the way quickly without making a huge fool of myself: this is review #100. I feel so fucking accomplished. FUCK YEAH!

Moving on.
I believe this is the most enjoyable:
- fanfic
- fantasy
- romance in general
- M/M more specifically
- book
- piece of writing of any kind
- ...whatever else comes to your mind
EVER. Honestly.
And by enjoyable I mean that it gives that pure feeling of happiness. It does have its faults: I found a couple typos (but that's like three in a 387-p
Otila
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fanfic, merthur

Okay, not exactly perfect. The slooooow burn didn't pay off because fade-to-black first time sex(booo). There were other explicit sex scenes but I would've preferred the first one.

I also would've liked to see more magic stuff. Merlin mentions all the magical baddies that he fends off but we don't see it. Some time in his classes also would've been great.

Other than that, though, I loved it. It was funny and sweet. I loved Arthur and Merlin's relationship. From enemies to friends to lovers. Their
MLE
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm so happy, and grateful to my friends for brining this story to my attention.

description

Everything about this story makes me happy. The writing, characterization, plot, and sense of humor just do it for me.

How I much do I love this story? Let me give you a few examples that I did not already use as status updates.

"Oi! Enough with the stereotyping, thank you very much! We don't all get handed a sheep at birth, you know!" Merlin said, in mock-outrage. "We could only afford a picture of a sheep, in our ho
Lorraine Lesar
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judith, can you hear me? You can? Good. Because I want to thank you for putting this absolute little gem on my radar. It was your review that sold it to me. It sooooo worked. It was a joy to read. I got lost in the storyline and that is what reading is all about, right?
Anyta Sunday
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing

What a read, what a read.

So much for my new reviewing policy--I'm breaking my no 5 star rule before the end of the month with the second read of the year, but when a book is that good (I want to marry it and have its babies), intentions be damned.

I want everyone to read this awesomeness. One of the best books I've read in a long time, I fell in love with the banter and the tension and the slow burn and the dragon, and the fantasy, and the everything.

Only my second book of 2015 and I know it'll
Bookwatcher
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Freebie, click here to get it too

I'm giving 5 stars because of:
1) the humor. I laugh a LOT read it, and it's now easy write a protagonist so funny as Merlin is
2) the protagonist, Merlin, is one of the best main character I ever read. He is clumsy, extremely powerful and clueless about it, and of course funny, as I said before.
3) all secondary characters are perfect to the story
4) all magic and magic creatures are perfect too... The best was the dragon. Twitter account? IPod? Hilarious!
5) it's a
Vivian
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very amusing and smile inducing.

When I started this I was like...you have got to be kidding me---Prince Arthur, Merlin, and Gwen?! *exaggerated eye roll* But as ridiculous, or maybe because of it, I actually got into the groove with this fanfic Round Table in modern Scotland story. If it had tried to be serious, it would have failed, but it had just enough tongue-in-cheek to keep it amusing--not lame.

Meet Merlin, warlock extraordinaire and Arthur's roommate. A mere commoner, but gotta love his
Meep
Re-read - Still makes me grin :D
.. ..
Doesn't matter how many re-reads/listens this story still makes me laugh and leaves me grinning. Fun, feel-good, touching and sweet.
-- -- -- --

Great fun, lots of pop culture references, several from the eighties or before. At the risk of being cliché this book made me LOL!, I genuinely couldn't read it in work, the risk of farting laughter was too great!

Note - I've only watched a few Merlin so read this as original (mostly ignoring legend!).

Lots of great char
Susan
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it

I don't read a lot of fanfic, but when I do, Merthur AU is my favorite go-to.

This book was hysterical and clever. The characters were smart and smartly written - the kind of characters I would want to call friends. The dialogue made me wish that the whole book was written in conversation form - and also made me wish I could be there to take part! And the enemies-to-lovers relationship between Arthur and Merlin...well, it was sassy and fun and aggravating and hot and gawwwww...

I try to remember
Mandapanda
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous fanfic of the Arthurian legend that gives more than a passing nod to Harry Potter, LOTR, Blackadder, The Famous Five, and every naughty story ever written about boys behaving badly in old English Universities. Merlin is a commoner who has come to St Andrews as a physics student but in reality he is enrolled in their secret Magic course. He finds himself the roomate of the gorgeous, snobbish, and maddeningly straight Prince Arthur. It's funny, witty, politically incorrect, extremely Brit ...more
Sanaa
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
[4 Stars] I enjoyed this one so much. It was the cutest thing, and I totally cheered like a silly person at the end.
Lost in a Book
5++++++++++ Stars

This book.

complete gif.gif

Ok, that may be a tad dramatic but it should be a warning to all that there will be much squeeeeing, gushing, professions of love, etc., coming up in this most likely incoherent review of The Student Prince. You've been warned.

I think that most of the population has heard of the names Merlin and Arthur at some point. That's pretty much my experience prior to reading this book. I knew their names and that there was a sword in a rock(stone?) but hadn't watched movies or
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fanfic, merthur
First and foremost, this is like the last thing I need in my life, but ah, now that I have gotten one taste, I in fact do need it in my life.

description

Secondly? I don’t think I have ever used the dictionary feature on my Kindle as much as I did with this book. Stupid American me, ha!

Chuffed, hobnob, boffin, wellied, corker, pillock, plonker, just to name a few…

Never in a million years did I think I would ship anyone besides Sterek but with one book I fell in love with Merthur.

This was an excellent adventu
Sophia Triad
Very clever fanfiction about Merlin and Arthur set at a modern date at the University of St Andrews.
It is inspired by story of the Prince William of Wales who studied at the University of St Andrews and the operetta 'The Student Prince'.

Loved it!

RTC
♥Sharon♥
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Well, well, well. What have we here? A little gem!

I enjoyed Merlin and Arthur’s story. Which is a lovely surprise because quite honestly I wasn’t certain I would. I have not read fanfiction before. I was simply going on a high recommendation from the lovely Judith. And it paid off!

Do yourself a favor and check out her review Judiths's review.

I loved lots of things about this unusual tale. Merlin and Arthur of course. The banter. Gwen and Morgana were fantastic too. The magic. The setting. St. A
The Backlot Gay B...: The Student Prince (The Student Prince #1) by FayJay 3 57 Jun 17, 2018 11:47AM
YA LGBT Books: * November 2017 BotM - The Student Prince (poss spoilers) 11 162 Dec 20, 2017 09:11PM
Fluffy Bunnies? 1 17 Mar 04, 2014 01:39PM
Which Maine? 2 23 Jun 10, 2013 07:19PM

• The Crown of the Summer Court
  • Close Protection
  • Sebastian (Family of Lies, #1)
  • Drunk Text
  • Heart in Hand
  • Shattered Glass (Shattered Glass, #1)
  • Love for the Cold-Blooded, or The Part-Time Evil Minion's Guide to Accidentally Dating a Superhero
  • The Violet and the Tom
  • The High King's Golden Tongue (Tales of the High Court, #1)
  • Evenfall (In the Company of Shadows, #1)
  • Dark Space (Dark Space, #1)
  • Tournament of Losers
  • The Lightning-Struck Heart (Tales From Verania, #1)
  • Wolves of Black Pine  (The Wolfkin Saga #1)
  • Lord of the White Hell, Book 1 (Lord of the White Hell, #1)
  • I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier
  • Latakia
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
Art by citrineviolin

The Student Prince (2 books)
  • Straight on Till Morning  (The Student Prince, #2)