David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Shadow and Bone
Buddy Reads! > Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo Buddy read!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
On Tuesday, August 26th, DeAnna and I are starting a buddy read of Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo!! All are welcome to read along and join in the discussion! Read at your pace and let us know how far along you are and then add spoiler tags for anything that might spoil things for those who aren't as far into the book.

Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments Yay! Gotta find something short to read in the meantime!

Cindee | 331 comments sounds like fun I have had that in my library for awhile and have yet to read it, I hear its awesome tho!

message 4: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Ooh I'm in! I've had this book for a while and haven't gotten around to it yet.

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
I started today! Whoopsies! About 51% in and really loving this one so far! David, I think you'll like this one!

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments I'm probably going to start tonight since I'm not reading anything else and don't have time before tomorrow. ;)

Cindee | 331 comments I thought I was almost done throne of glass when I was on chapter 17 I looked and I am only a quarter way thru. I'm gonna have to start shadow a bone in a couple days.

Rebecka | 115 comments Just picked this up! I'm going to divide my time between this and UnWholly, so I'll probably be a bit slow :)

message 9: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yay!! Thanks Rebecka, Cindee, Karen, Laura and Katelyn for joining DeAnna and I!! This will be SO FUN!! And don't worry about your pace, we'll all use spoilers so you can always catch up on the discussion as you go :)

I started! 20% in so far!! (view spoiler)

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments I actually haven't started yet but I'm about to!

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments I downloaded the first 5 chapters to my kindle to lessen the amount of time I have to read my paperback. lol I'm almost done with those, so not very far in yet.

message 12: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cool beans! I had zero reading time today so you can catch up :)

Cindee | 331 comments I'm on chapter five. its pretty good, some confusing parts but it seems to come together. its good enough to keep me going thus far. not sure about the characters yet, alina seems sassy but so far we are not shown to much of anyone else. but again, I'm only on chapter 5.

Az (أسماء) | 89 comments I read this already and it was pretty good! Hope u guys enjoy it as well : )

If after wards u decide to read book 2 let me know xD

message 15: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thanks Asma! There's definitely going to be a buddy read of the sequel at some point soon so watch the Buddy Reads thread!

message 16: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cindee wrote: "I'm on chapter five. its pretty good, some confusing parts but it seems to come together. its good enough to keep me going thus far. not sure about the characters yet, alina seems sassy but so far..."

I'm at 40% (maybe chapter 13 or something?) and I'm still not sure about the MC. She's not my favorite character, I like the Darkling the best :)

Cindee | 331 comments Funny David, when I ended chapter five last night in the brief time the Darkling showed up to rescue her, what like two pages? I thought "oh he's a good character" the others like I said not sure of yet.

Cindee | 331 comments although if its the same Darkling that made her glow, I didn't like him then lol....just a side note... but now I do lol its like two different characters.

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments I just started chapter 7. Alina's okay, if a little timid. I really like the Darkling, but I knew I would. I went to a signing that had Leigh Bardugo and 4 other authors there, and a couple of the other authors mentioned the Darkling as a potential love interest (or something along those lines), so I expected to like him.

I think that the action is really well-written, and I expect we'll see a lot more of it as the book/series goes on.

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments I just finished chapter 7 and (view spoiler)

message 21: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cindee wrote: "Funny David, when I ended chapter five last night in the brief time the Darkling showed up to rescue her, what like two pages? I thought "oh he's a good character" the others like I said not sure o..."

Hehe good instincts!!

message 22: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

DeAnna (Mommy's Reading Break) wrote: "I just finished chapter 7 and [spoilers removed]"

Lol I want to smack her a lot! I'm at 60% and to be honest, I'm really not into it :( Way too much filler and not much related to the main plot, which was the bit I liked! I feel like it's just taking all the typical cliche YA stuff and dumping it in a different place...hmmm hoping the last 40% changes my mind!

I finished and have to say I really enjoyed it. I{m typing on a Mexican keyboard and can{t find the symbols I need for spoilers. Dang. Will do this without any spoilers.

The Darkling surprised me. Did not expect that. Overall, I thought the storyline was new. David, I hear you about the best friends don´t know they{re in love storyline. But overall, I enjoyed the rest of the storyline and even Alina. I´m excited to read the sequel. :)

Back to the beach! ;)

Rebecka | 115 comments I'm only at like chapter 6 or 7, I'm liking it so far. But I agree the whole best friend love triangle being old. Been there done that lol

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments I'm liking it, too, but it's not a "can't put down" book for me. Half the time, I'm having to remind myself to pick the book up! I think I'm only on chapter 7 or 8.

message 26: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) I'm only on chapter 5 and I like it but there is a lot that I'm finding a bit confusing/weird. I'm sure it will get clearer as it moves along. I like the idea of the plot and I'm interested to see where it goes.

Cindee | 331 comments I was the same way, I had to remind myself to pickup the book. I'm now on chapter 15, it does pick up, gets a little less confusing! However, I'm with everyone else with love triangle stuff, why can't it be for once that the second guy that comes along just wins and the other guy goes and sucks rocks or something? Seriously, so far, Mal doesn't even seem worthy of being a love interest, he's a big ol jerk...the darkling has way more personality, kill Mal in battle, cry a little, boo hoo and let's get on with the darkling lol. Alright, Mal just rubbed me the wrong way in the last chapter...done venting lol

message 28: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Omg I sort of have to eat my words (just a little). Although I still think from 10-60% was a lot of annoying unnecessary filler stuff (and a little boring), the author has really turned up the heat (in a really good way) from 60-70%. All of a sudden I'm really into it! (view spoiler)

Rebecka | 115 comments Just finished chapter 15 (about 70%) and what a twist! I don't even know what to think anymore.

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments Rebecka, I'm at the exact same place as you, and I feel the same way! Holy crap!

message 31: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lol!! Glad you all caught up, I suddenly became VERY interested in the story after being bored in the middle. Can't wait to see how it all ends!

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments How far are you now, David? I'm on page 270, so about 75%. (view spoiler)

On the beach typing this (yes I'm going to rub it in just a little bit!). ;-)

So glad you guys have got to (view spoiler)

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments (view spoiler)

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments Ugh! 93% (view spoiler)

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments Done.

(view spoiler)

Anyone up for an IMMEDIATE buddy read of Siege and Storm?

message 37: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

DeAnna (Mommy's Reading Break) wrote: "How far are you now, David? I'm on page 270, so about 75%. [spoilers removed]"

Ha I'm at that part right now :) Might take me another day or two to finish, but there are definitely some people (cough, Jen) who are looking to read the sequel right away :)

message 38: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen wrote: "On the beach typing this (yes I'm going to rub it in just a little bit!). ;-)

So glad you guys have got to [spoilers removed]"

Ha! You deserve to rub it in, enjoy yourself! And I was swimming in the Medterranean off of Santorini today so we can make them jealous together!

WOOT WOOT for gorgeous locations and vacations!

Cindee | 331 comments Good book, who's ready for book 2 ha! it was slow going, I think it was the explanation of everything and on and on and what the???.....but after chapter five it got better and after 15 WAY better. I still felt the two characters weren't very strong, in the sense that they are forgettable, they are very similar personality's. but there was some other great characters, the Darkling, Genya I even didn't mind the two chatty girls. perhaps book two will even be better!

message 41: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) I'm way behind most of you at only 40%. It's starting to make more sense now and I'm starting to like it. I'm interested to see what this "twist" is that everyone is talking about! :)

message 42: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katelyn wrote: "I'm way behind most of you at only 40%. It's starting to make more sense now and I'm starting to like it. I'm interested to see what this "twist" is that everyone is talking about! :)"

Hehe you'll catch up to me as I'm getting busy and slowing down :) You'll love the second half of the book!

message 43: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cindee wrote: "Good book, who's ready for book 2 ha! it was slow going, I think it was the explanation of everything and on and on and what the???.....but after chapter five it got better and after 15 WAY better..."

I agree with all that ;)

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments Cindee wrote: "Good book, who's ready for book 2 ha! it was slow going, I think it was the explanation of everything and on and on and what the???.....but after chapter five it got better and after 15 WAY better..."

I already started reading it yesterday and am at 23% already. It's MUCH better! I think because there doesn't need to be as much world-building this time around that it really picks up quickly!

Cindee | 331 comments I think also, its like she started describing this world using words you....well at least I have never heard of, that is clearly a different language all together, with people that have unique names as well, making all the names and places seem to be the same and us trying to get used to these names and what they all mean. maybe by chapter five we started to catch on to what the names and places meant. I'll have you all know I read two chapters from the second book and so far so good, some cute silly moments too already :-)

message 46: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished!! This one is sooo hard for me to rate because I LOVED the last 30% and the ending, but I just felt jipped for about 50% of the book when I was bored to tears with all the YA cliches.

Sounds like the next one at least picks up where the first one ended so I guess I'll have to give it a shot!

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments I think I'm going to give it 4 stars, but I haven't fully decided yet. The ending of a book is way more important to me than the beginning, and though I thought it was slow at times, I was never as bored as you were. lol

I think I gave it a 4. Ending was so much better than the beginning and made me want to continue on to the next!

message 49: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 3 stars

DeAnna (Mommy's Reading Break) wrote: "I think I'm going to give it 4 stars, but I haven't fully decided yet. The ending of a book is way more important to me than the beginning, and though I thought it was slow at times, I was never as..."

Lol, fair enough and I'm glad! I think it was more an expectations thing...after the beginning being so intense with the shadow fold, I didn't expect there to be such a lull with her in a school-like environment with "cafeteria" scenes, makeovers, dancing, and "training". I think I just wanted more. But the end DEFINITELY gave me what I had been waiting for!

message 50: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) I'm finally 70% in and I am loving it! I know that I'm going to want to read the 2nd book ASAP but I think I might need to wait until the 3rd book comes out in June.

« previous 1