Something Old, Something New discussion

General Chit Chat > What Have You Recently Finished Reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 111 (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Michelle (shelld79) | 754 comments Mod
I finally managed to finish Your Heart Belongs to Me by Dean Koontz which was utterley disappointing for a Koontz book. I usually love his books so am annoyed that I didn't find this one very good at all.

message 2: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 140 comments I used to read Koontz religiously in my 20's and early 30's and loved him. Haven't read any of his books for such a long time. It's a shame you didn't enjoy it, Michelle. I just finished The Tenderness of Wolves The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney which I really did enjoy.

message 3: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Lauren, I certainly find Dean Koontz hit or miss sometimes. Some of his books, I absolutely adore, some of them, I just don't like. But I keep reading him (and will probably continue doing so as long as he keeps writing books). Have you read any of his Odd series?

Elaine, I am glad to hear you liked Tenderness of Wolves, I have just added it to my TBR list. :)

I have recently finished several books, but two I enjoyed were The Bean Trees and A Summons to Memphis.

message 4: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Kate S wrote: "Lauren, I certainly find Dean Koontz hit or miss sometimes. Some of his books, I absolutely adore, some of them, I just don't like. But I keep reading him (and will probably continue doing so as ..."

Kate, I own all of the Odd books but haven't had the chance to read them yet. I'll get to them one day.....

message 5: by Kate S (new)

Kate S I really enjoyed the first three in that series. The fourth one annoyed me because the Odd books were supposed to be a trilogy and the fourth one was released instead of the third book in his Frankenstein trilogy (which I was not so patiently awaiting) and since then have felt they are a little contrived, but I will still read them when they show up at bookstores. I have not read any of the interludes and have no real interest in doing so. I still really like Odd as a character.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (BalmainBeauty) | 1 comments Hi, thanks for inviting me to the group. I finished reading 2 of 3 Lauren Oliver books and now I'm starting LA Candy by Lauren Conrad. I also enjoyed The Hunger Games trilogy and 2 of Veronica Roth's books. I'm a big fan of the Twilight Saga as well.

message 7: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Kate S wrote: "I really enjoyed the first three in that series. The fourth one annoyed me because the Odd books were supposed to be a trilogy and the fourth one was released instead of the third book in his Fran..."

I've heard so many people say they like Odd as a character so I can't wait until I do get the chance to read these. I'm going to try really hard to get to the first book next month if I can.

message 8: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Karen wrote: "Hi, thanks for inviting me to the group. I finished reading 2 of 3 Lauren Oliver books and now I'm starting LA Candy by Lauren Conrad. I also enjoyed The Hunger Games trilogy and 2 of Veronica Roth..."

I'm interested to see what you think of the Lauren Conrad book Karen. I'd love to know if she is actually any good as a writer or whether it's just her fame that makes her books sell.

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (maechs) | 5 comments Just finished reading The Secret Star by K.C. Finn! Gave it 4 out of 5 stars! A Book Blitz is about to start to promote The Secret Star! There is also a Giveaway for an eBook of The Secret Star and a $10 Giftcard! I'll be posting a link to the giveaway when it goes live on 8/27 :) Hope my fellow Goodreads Making Connections friends will check it out!

message 10: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I managed to finish Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) by Janet Evanovich last night and I think I'll try to sneak in The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King over the next couple of days as another group I'm a member of are currently reading this and it's bringing back some great memories of when I first started the Dark Tower series.
It might be dangerous though because if I start them again I might not be able to stop!

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 7 comments Michelle wrote: "Kate S wrote: "I really enjoyed the first three in that series. The fourth one annoyed me because the Odd books were supposed to be a trilogy and the fourth one was released instead of the third b..."

Odd Thomas is Dean Koontz' best work, IMO - I don't like a lot of his stuff, but I love the Odd series.

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (maechs) | 5 comments Just finished The Emblazoned Red by Dawn McCullough White for an upcoming Blog Tour! Gave it a 4 our of 5 stars! I can't believe how much I enjoyed this book! I'll be posting my review and a link for a Giveaway on 9/7. Hope ya'll stop by and enter for your chance to win!
http://maechs.wordpress.com

message 13: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (maechs) | 5 comments Shannon wrote: "Just finished reading The Secret Star by K.C. Finn! Gave it 4 out of 5 stars! A Book Blitz is about to start to promote The Secret Star! There is also a Giveaway for an eBook of The Secret Star ..."

Here's the link to the Giveaway! Only 2 more days to enter to win $10 giftcard or eBook copy of The Secret Star!
http://maechs.wordpress.com/2013/08/2...

message 14: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Jason wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Kate S wrote: "I really enjoyed the first three in that series. The fourth one annoyed me because the Odd books were supposed to be a trilogy and the fourth one was released inste..."

That's it. I'm determined to fit Odd Thomas in during October. I've been putting it off for way too long!

message 15: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

So I finally managed to finish The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin today and I'm totally exhausted.
I feel as if I was part of the massive journey along with the characters and it's worn me out.
I did enjoy it though and will be reading the second one whenever I get the chance.
Now to try and tackle Under the Dome by Stephen King , the other epic book I'm determined to get through in the next month if it kills me!

message 16: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Michelle wrote: "So I finally managed to finish The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin today and I'm totally exhausted.
I feel as if I was part of the massive journey along with the characters and it's worn me out.
I did..."

I love finishing a big book! But it is a little strange to then try to rejoin the 'real world'. :)

Good luck with Under the Dome.

message 17: by Kate S (new)

Kate S I finished Life After Life by Kate Atkinson late last night (or was it just really early this morning?). I liked the writing and the characterizations, but I felt like the author forgot the point somewhere in the middle and let the story and the tightly knit story line fall apart a little bit. The scenes of Ursula during the War (WWII) were fascinating to me and I could feel the strain of the various raids and the emergency of each situation. I did not need the end of this story to be tied up in a nice neat package, but I did hope for a stronger ending than what I was given.

message 18: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Kate S wrote: "I finished Life After Life by Kate Atkinson late last night (or was it just really early this morning?). I liked the writing and the characterizations, but I felt like the author forgot the po..."

I'm thinking of adding this one to my TBR because I've been seeing it everywhere and I'm really intrigued about it now. I think the peer pressure has finally gotten to me :-)

message 19: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I managed to also finish The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King yesterday. I absolutely loved revisiting the Dark Tower characters and landscape and can't wait to try and fit in the rest of the series somewhere again.
I think this is definitely going down as my favourite series of all time.

message 20: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 7 comments Michelle wrote: "I managed to also finish The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King yesterday. I absolutely loved revisiting the Dark Tower characters and landscape and can't wait to try and fit in the rest of the series so..."

Gonna do the Drawing of the Three soon? It's next up for me, after I finish my current read.

message 21: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Jason wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I managed to also finish The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King yesterday. I absolutely loved revisiting the Dark Tower characters and landscape and can't wait to try and fit in the rest..."

I'd love to but I have a bit of a crisis. I've started listening to Under the Dome by Stephen King on audio which I really want to continue with but I know it's going to take me a year to get through it because it's so long! I'm thinking of listening to the audio version of The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2) by Stephen King instead now I've been bitten by the bug again and coming back to the other one later on.

message 22: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 7 comments That's okay. I bet you're a faster reader than me and will pass me up as soon as you get to it. :)

message 23: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Actually, it takes me ages to get through most books. I am a fast reader in general but with having a very active 2 year old as well as working from home I don't get to fit half as much reading time in as I'd like. I mainly only get to read during my boy's sleeps if I've caught up on work or late at night when he goes to bed!
That's why I have an audio book on the go as well as a physical book so that I can listen to it in the car when driving around or while doing housework but they always take ages to get through because the narrators read quite slowly.

message 24: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I recently finished In the Shadow of Revenge by Patricia Hale and overall thought it was a really good read.
I recommend it to anyone after a fast paced mystery with a female lead.

message 25: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Finished reading The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell and LOVED it.

Here is my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 26: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Yesterday I finished reading A Wicked Kind of Dark by Jonathan K. Benton and it was a definite struggle to get through it. Not my cup of tea at all..... I'm still thinking about how to word my review of it without sounding too critical.
I started reading Coraline by Neil Gaiman last night and didn't realise how much of a quick read it will be.
I might also start The Secret Lives of Dresses by Erin McKean soon for my real life bookclub read this month.

message 27: by Simone (new)

Simone Ramone (simoneramone) | 19 comments Just finished a short story called The Yellow Wallpaper.
It absolutely blew me away. Cannot recommend it enough.

message 28: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Simone wrote: "Just finished a short story called The Yellow Wallpaper.
It absolutely blew me away. Cannot recommend it enough."

Wow! Sounds like one to check out!
How great is it when we read something that makes us feel like that??

message 29: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I finished reading Coraline by Neil Gaiman today and wish I liked it a bit more than I did. It definitely would have been a great read when I was a younger teenager.
I really want to see the movie now to compare.....

message 30: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I recently finished reading Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach and absolutely loved it.
I haven't been so consumed by a book for a long time. It was fascinating!

message 31: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I finished reading Love Gone to the Dogs by Margaret Daley last night. It was a fun little romance that was what I needed to break up the heavier books I've been reading lately.

message 32: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I recently finished reading Outback Dreams by Rachael Johns which I actually quite liked even though it was pretty heavily romance based. I found it refreshing to read something so aussie focused for a change.

message 33: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Finished Tampa by Alissa Nutting Tampa by Alissa Nutting WOW!!! But it's not for everyone.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 34: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Sharon wrote: "Finished Tampa by Alissa Nutting Tampa by Alissa Nutting WOW!!! But it's not for everyone.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Wow, that does sound interesting. I've never heard of that book before.

message 35: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I finished listening to the audio version of UR UR by Stephen King today. It was only a very short story but still quite an interesting one none the less.

message 36: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Finished Last Horse Standing by Mike Keenan I really enjoyed it.

message 37: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I finally finished reading The Good Guy The Good Guy by Dean Koontz last night and found that I ended up really liking it. It was a really fast paced thriller that I couldn't put down once I hit the last third.

message 38: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

The only book I managed to finish during the whole month of November was Vampires Don't Sparkle! Vampires Don't Sparkle! by Michael West .
I quite liked it as it was written in the way vampire stories used to be written where they are the scary creatures they're supposed to be.

message 39: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I managed to finish Darkness First: A McCabe and Savage Thriller Darkness First A McCabe and Savage Thriller by James Hayman yesterday and I ended up thoroughly enjoying it!
I give it 5 stars and will hopefully have my review up soon.

message 40: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Finished reading December's Wish by Karly Lane December's Wish by Karly Lane I enjoyed this one.

message 41: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I just recently finished reading Organic Beauty with Essential Oil by Rebecca Park Totilo Organic Beauty with Essential Oil and I really loved it. I've always wanted to try and make my own beauty products at home and most of the recipes in this book are so simple. I know what I'm going to be doing over the Xmas holidays!

message 42: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I finally managed to finish The Graveyard Book the other day and have to say I was a little bit disapointed. For some reason I was expecting a bit more from the book than I got. Maybe I'm just a bit too old to appreciate a book like this anymore.

message 43: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I recently finished reading The Carrie Diaries The Carrie Diaries (The Carrie Diaries, #1) by Candace Bushnell .
It was ok, but I think I would have liked it a lot more if I'd read it 10 years or so ago :-) It was interesting to see the start of where Sex in the City came from even though I was never a huge fan of the show.

message 44: by Sharon (new)

Sharon A few days ago I finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I really enjoyed it and thought it was an incredible read.

message 45: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Sharon wrote: "A few days ago I finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I really enjoyed it and thought it was an incredible read."

I've heard so many good things about this book but still haven't made up my mind as to whether I want to read it or now as it's not something I'd usually read.
Maybe one day I'll check it out.

message 46: by Sharon (new)

Sharon I hope you enjoy it when you get around to it. It's well worth the read :)

message 47: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Finished reading Still Alice by Lisa Genova Still Alice by Lisa Genova A fantastic read.

message 48: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I flew throught the last couple hundred pages of I Am Pilgrim I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes yesterday and finally got it finished. Now I am exhausted but don't think I will stop thinking about this book for a long time.

Everyone must read it!! I haven't been so engrossed in a story for a long time.

My review will be up very soon.

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) (1) “The House On The Cliff” Leslie McFarlane, 1927 (4/5)
(2) “Then Came Two Women” Charlotte Armstrong, 1962 (5/5)
(3) “Witch In The House” Ruth Chew, 1975 (4/5)
(4) “Mystery Of Disaster Island” Ann Rivkin, 1975 (4/5)
(5) “Angel's Verdict” Mary Stanton, 2011 (3/5)
(6) “Vampires Of Ottawa” Eric Wilson, 1984

message 50: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I recently finished listening to the audiobook of 11/22/63 11/22/63 by Stephen King and can't seem to stop thinking about it.
Wow, what a story! Being Australian I have never really had a huge interest in the whole Kennedy assasination but this book has so many other elements in it that kept me interested the whole way through and the research that would have been done by King to write this book in so much detail is amazing.

« previous 1 3