A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

ASOIF finished, now what do I read?!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Having read the ASOIF series over the summer I now can't find any books that satisfy me enough to finish them! I've been spoilt and now only want books of this quality!
Does anyone have any recommendations?

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Hannah_Stark_Targaryen) | 22 comments The Fault In Our Stars and Looking For Alaska by John Green were the firt books I read after finishing ASOIAF and I found them a really nice read

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat (katsobsession) | 141 comments The Wheel of Time series.

I'm reading The Malazan Book of The Fallen series right now, which is good. Very confusing at first tho.

message 4: by Bryan (new)

Bryan You might try looking for the Dunk & Egg novellas by George R.R. Martin. They take place in the ASOIAF world about 100 years before the start of A Game of Thrones. The first one is called The Hedge Knight, and it first appeared in a fantasy anthology called Legends along with a bunch of other great stories.

If you're looking for another fantasy series with terrific characters, I can't recommend Robin Hobb highly enough. She has 4 series that all happen in the same world. The first book of the first trilogy is called Assassin's Apprentice. I got turned on to her stuff from a recommendation from Martin.

message 5: by Seed (new)

Seed | 64 comments If you like Thrones, The Wheel might not be the best way to go. Tonally couldn't be any more different from Thrones.

message 6: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Geary (kennethhayes) Anything by Brandon Sanderson start with Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set and I'll second the Robin Hobb recommendation

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat (katsobsession) | 141 comments Seed, I disagree. The story is very different yes, but many characters, many viewpoints, lots going on...is kind of similar, I think. I second Brandon and Weeks.

message 9: by Seed (new)

Seed | 64 comments I third Sanderson and Weeks. I'm making my way through Night Angel Trilogy now. I'll be attending a Sanderson reading next weekend (squee!)

message 10: by Seed (new)

Seed | 64 comments Kat, I'm struggling to finish WoT...I think I'm more eager to finish than to see how it ends.

message 11: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Geary (kennethhayes) WOT is amazing the middle did have me worried for a bit, but it bounced back and made even the ending satisfying, if bittersweet. originally there were going to be outriggers with some of the other characters but no RJ = no outriggers.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 197 comments I will third the Robin Hobb series, Tawny Man set after the Farseer Set. Also if you enjoyed GRRM you Most likely will enjoy Patrick Rothfuss KingKiller Chronicles Book one is Called 'The Name of the Wind" and its a really enjoyable read. Also Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards, book one is 'The Lies of Locke Lamora", and Last but not Least is Brandon Sandersons Mistborn Trilogy just finished it and loved it. Read Alloy of Law and reading Warbreaker all have been good. Just a few thoughts sorry if any repeats didnt read all the posts.

message 13: by K-dizzle (new)

K-dizzle (kvb666) | 19 comments I would suggest The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie...I found solace in it after I finished ASOIAF :)
I will also agree with the Mistborn series suggestion

message 14: by Eric (new)

Eric Godin I spent considerable time researching my post-ASOIAF reading and I wound up picking The Kingkiller Chronicle by Rothfuss. No regrets at all. Great series! Once I finish Book 2, I've lined up The Way of Kings and Acacia. Not sure which I'll hit first.

message 15: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Geary (kennethhayes) @Eric if you haven'y read anything else by Sanderson The Way of Kings may not be the best place to start it's huge and complex and has elements of his Cosmere that you might not pick up on without reading some of the other books. don't get me wrong, the book is truely a work of art and masterfully written it's just alot to take in. and I don't know your reading style but I always recommend new Sanderson readers start with Mistborn.

Cosmere = All of Sanderson's books take place within the same universe on seperate worlds. One or two characters may know of this while the general populations have no idea any other worlds exsit.

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen Azinger | 256 comments Can I suggest my own medieval fantasy saga inspired by Game of Thrones, The Silk & Steel Saga. Written in the style of GOT, with each chapter from the point of view of a character, The Silk & Steel Saga has complex plots and complex characters, but more strong women. An epic tale of knights and swords, castles and monasteries, sorcery and seduction. The Steel Queen (The Silk & Steel Saga, #1) by Karen Azinger The Flame Priest (The Silk & Steel Saga, #2) by Karen Azinger The Skeleton King (The Silk & Steel Saga, #3) by Karen Azinger The Poison Priestess (The Silk & Steel Saga, #4) by Karen Azinger The Steel Queen

message 17: by Eric (new)

Eric Godin @Kenneth
Thanks, I haven't read any Sanderson, so I may follow your suggestion. I've been interested in Mistborn, but the mixed reviews always make me hesitant. So many books, so little time!

message 18: by Stevie (new)

Stevie Heidenreich | 22 comments I definately recommend the Malazan Book of The Fallen series. In terms of epic fantasy with its own original magic system that you will think is crazy yet soo badass, and just so many characters it rivals asoiaf, the series is amazing. The best part, the 10 book series is already finished!

message 19: by Seed (new)

Seed | 64 comments Eric wrote: "@Kenneth
Thanks, I haven't read any Sanderson, so I may follow your suggestion. I've been interested in Mistborn, but the mixed reviews always make me hesitant. So many books, so little time!"

Eric, I loved Mistborn. I'm struggling to decide if I want him to sign my copy of Mistborn or The Way of Kings.

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen Kelly, I feel your pain. I have read so many books, I have forgotten more than I have remembered. Nothing compares to ASOIAF, and Martin's style of writing.I have read all 5 twice now as I found I missed so many of the nuances first time around. You might want to try "Legends" a 3 book series by Weiss and Hickman, part of the DragonLance series that goes on forever.I am reading the Wheel of Time, it's good but leaves me wanting more! Good luck

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (gielske) | 107 comments @karen: That's just the reason I joined gr. Ideal for keeping track of them :) Though I still have forgotten some titels I read years ago and so can't add them. At least it won't happen again. And I rediscovered some just browsing the read lists of people who reviewed books I'd just finished.

message 22: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 764 comments Kelly wrote: "Having read the ASOIF series over the summer I now can't find any books that satisfy me enough to finish them! I've been spoilt and now only want books of this quality!
Does anyone have any recomme..."

Aarrrggghhhhhh.....I know the feeling well, I read them all over again!
TWICE!

message 23: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 764 comments Third time'round I started underlining all the quotes I loved the best, in colored pencil to match the colors of the covers....( obsessed much? )

message 24: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 764 comments Then I started reading in German....
Someone save me please!

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen Azinger | 256 comments I've read and re-read Game of Thrones so many times my autographed copy is torn and tattered with pages falling out!!!

message 26: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (gielske) | 107 comments autographed copy? why didn't you just buy a cheap extra paperback?

message 27: by Karen (new)

Karen Azinger | 256 comments Got it autographed after it was already tattered! Grabbed all my books from my shelf before I headed to the con, hoping he would sign them. He did! :)

message 28: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 15 comments Omg! Just finished reading the three Dunk and Egg tales. Now in addition to the next book in the Games of Thrones series, I have to pray for another short story or something about these two! Seven Hells! True fans will enjoy.

message 29: by Stevie (new)

Stevie Heidenreich | 22 comments For anyone who hasn't read the black company books, you should check them out. its dark military fantasy that revolves around this mercenary group, ita cool because the characters are grey and they could switch sides at any time it just depends what contract they take

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 197 comments Just Looked it up Stevie it is a very Long series, i never read Glenn Cook before. Is the series complete? Has anyone else read this series, i Have stayed away from Long series just like the Wheel of Time. It has Mixed reviews from readers

message 31: by Stevie (new)

Stevie Heidenreich | 22 comments I recommend u read the chronicles of the black company series, then if u like it go to the books of the south series

message 32: by Bill (last edited Aug 28, 2013 03:12PM) (new)

Bill I enjoyed the chronicles of the black company but it got kind of repetitive during the south series. I started but didn't finish book 7 but will probably go back and finish the series at some point. Also while it is a long series the books themselves are short especially by asoiaf standards.

message 33: by Stevie (new)

Stevie Heidenreich | 22 comments I completely agree with u bill. Try out the malazan book of the fallen. they are very long but they add new definition to the term epic fantasy.

message 34: by Bill (new)

Bill Agreed malazan book of the fallen blows away everything else I have read.

message 35: by Stevie (new)

Stevie Heidenreich | 22 comments exactly! I'm surprised its not as popular as other works. the magic system is just crazy

message 36: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 197 comments is the book series complete? I was looking at it but was curious if it was compete

message 37: by Stevie (new)

Stevie Heidenreich | 22 comments the malazan 10 book series is done, but he's writing other series showing backgrounds and how certain characters come to be. he's currently working on the kharkanas trilogy. the first book is out and I've heard good things

message 38: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Geary (kennethhayes) I didn't like the Black Company but I only made it though the first book. I felt like the 1st person was to shakey it might be worse for me though because I a Fitzgerald fan and his first person is close to flawless.

message 39: by Stevie (new)

Stevie Heidenreich | 22 comments I've actually never read a fitzgerald book, are they good?

message 40: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Geary (kennethhayes) Yes, he really brings you into the story and into the era. If you get a chance pick up The Great Gatsby it's pretty short (under 200 pages i think) and is a good example of his writing.

“He smiled understandingly-much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced--or seemed to face--the whole eternal world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself, and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey.”

message 41: by Stevie (new)

Stevie Heidenreich | 22 comments I've wanted to read the great gatsby since I saw that they made a movie about it starring leonardo dicaprio

message 42: by Edgar (last edited Aug 30, 2013 06:26PM) (new)

Edgar | 43 comments Read the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. It is really good. The main character is Fitz, the royal bastard. The books are from his perspective, he reminds me of Jon Snow because in the second book he forms a bond (with the Wit) with a wolf called Nighteyes. Fitz actually knows he has the Wit, whilst everyone knows Jon Snow isn't aware he can warg. There isn't that much fantasy in the Farseer Trilogy except for the Skill (which means you can influence other people to do things, usually royal people have the Skill) and the Wit(the Wit means you can communicate with animals, usually forming a bond with one particular animal). The Skill is seen as a good magic, whilst the Wit is seen as something that can make a man become more like an animal. Fitz has both the Skill and the Wit.

message 43: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (gielske) | 107 comments you should at least read the tawny man then. it returns to fitsy fits and our dear fool. though then you might as whel read liveships, tawny man and the rain wilds in order...

message 44: by Edgar (new)

Edgar | 43 comments Jenny wrote: "you should at least read the tawny man then. it returns to fitsy fits and our dear fool. though then you might as whel read liveships, tawny man and the rain wilds in order..."

*Fitz not Fits

message 45: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (gielske) | 107 comments you cant tell with audiobooks. been years since i read the paperbacks since i personally only own the tawny man. (picked it up in a bookstore never having heard of hobb) besides... I can't edit spelling mistakes as i can't hide spoilers. The app just isn't that extensive

message 46: by Colin (new)

Colin | 10 comments try mark lawrence broken empire series...prince, king and emperor of thorns...best series ive read in ages.

message 47: by Adam (new)

Adam Evans (adamandeveevans) The First Law Trilogy followed by Best Served Cold, The heroes, and RedCountry. I can't say enough about this series

message 48: by Terence (new)

Terence Adam I second The First Law trilogy and the second of the three standalones the Heroes. Best Served Cold and Red Country didn't do it for me, but I really enjoyed the other four.

message 49: by Todd (new)

Todd (teddyruxpin) | 1 comments The Codex Alera books by Jim Butcher were enjoyable and the Nightside books by Simon R. Green were excellent as well.

message 50: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions, that certainly gives me a list to go at :) having now watched the dvd series i am very tempted to re-read them all again though!

« previous 1