Start by marking “Legends” as Want to Read:
Legends

Legends

(Legends I (all stories))

Acclaimed writer and editor Robert Silverberg gathered eleven of the finest writers in Fantasy to contribute to this collection of short novels. Each of the writers was asked to write a new story based on one of his or her most famous series.
Stephen King tells a tale of Roland, the Gunslinger, in the world of The Dark Tower, in "The Little Sisters of Eluria."
Terry Pratche
Published August 15th 1998 by Tor Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Legends, please sign up.

Eric
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
The stories I read from this collection are:

'The Hedge Night' by George R.R. Martin

What a phenomenal story. I'm glad I was introduced to Dunk and Egg in the Warriors anthology, even if it meant reading these characters' stories out of order.

'Grinning Man' by Orson Scott Card

An interesting story set in a unique alternative America. I was particularly fond of the "knack" magic system. This story makes me want to read other Alvin Maker tales, despite my reservations that the character is based on T
Miloș Dumbraci
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book was an excellent showcase for some of the most famous fantasy series out there. Perfect for me to get a glimpse and decide a ”to read next” list, since many have not been translated into my language and I knew only their names. The average would be 3/5, but it gets an extra star for that great idea and for the enthusiasm with which I read through them like opening mysterious Christmas presents.
Amanda
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this compilation of short stories in the fantasy genre. I've read a few of the big name fantasy series, but still not a ton, and this was a good way to get introduced to some other fictional worlds. I'd only read work by three of the 11 authors in the book, two of which I've read the series the short story is meant to be companion to. Hands down my favorite was Terry Pratchett's short story about Granny Weatherwax. I'd never read any of his work before, but own ebook cop ...more
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) by: Danielle

The Dark Tower: The Little Sisters of Eluria: 3/5

Decent, but I gave up on this series after the fourth book. So no real connection or investment in the short story for the series.

Discworld: The Sea and Little Fishes - 4/5

I always enjoy a visit to Pratchett's Discworld and Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are big favorites.

The Sword of Truth: Debt of Bones - 1/5

A short story from a series I really do not like. I can't stand the way Goodkind writes women (or antagonists, or protagonists, or humans)
Wastrel
Epic fantasy was big in the nineties. Both commercially, and physically. It made sense, therefore, for someone to provide a little (or, in fact, quite big) roadmap: eleven little introductions to eleven very big authors.

The genius, and great virtue, of Legends is that it gathers in one place works by, and in the most popular settings of, most of the most iconic fantasy writers of the age, making this a wonderful entrance point for writers you might otherwise not have read (perhaps intimidated b
Agnes
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent short story collection. I really loved almost all off them .

The Dark Tower: The Little Sisters of Eluria: 5/5

The Riftwar Saga: The Wood Boy - 3/5

The Wheel of Time: New Spring - 3,5/5
Chance
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Since this is an anthology of short stories from a number of fantasy series writers I'll give a quick run down of my feelings about them individually.

Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Little Sisters of Eluria. I love the Dark Tower series, and I remember searching this anthology out just to read Little Sisters when I was reading The Dark Tower books. It remaninds one of my favorite King short stories, but that may just be because I love Roland so much. :)

Terry Prachett: Discworld: The Sea and
Amy
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
My main reason for buying this book initially was the new Robert Jordan story "New Spring," which sheds light on certain events in the Wheel of Time series. That it also had stories by some of my other favorite authors, Tad Williams and Anne McCaffrey was a bonus. I didn't read all the stories included (I wasn't interested in the King or Silverberg ones at all), but I found most of them quite enjoyable. Marketing genius here: I started reading the Alvin Maker (Card), Discworld (Pratchett), Riftw ...more
Liss Capello
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I requested this book in order to read the first of the Dunk and Egg tales by George R. R. Martin. Typically I'm not very enthusiastic about anthologies, because they tend to be huge (meaning they take forever to read) and uneven (meaning I have to slog through boring stories in order to get to the ones I enjoy). Although this clocks in at 715 pages and therefore fills the first downfall, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the stories contained herein. Most of them are actually pretty ...more
Erik
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not going to spend a lot of time grading every story, but will say the book overall was a good read. I really enjoyed Jordan's contribution and thought Martin's tale was the best of the book.

I really did not care for Card's story... an oddity since I have liked his other works. But no other clunkers to be found, and that makes this a solid compilation.

A 3.5 out of 5 stars, rounding up for high caliber authors inside.
Reynar Swan
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Of the stories in this collection, I found only two I really, really liked: that by King and Pratchett. Everything else, including Martin's The Hedge Knight (surprising because I like his Ice & Fire series), was rather...blah.
Richard
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this collection up primarily because it is the only place I could find online that had the first of George R. R. Martin's Dunk and Egg stories set in the Song of Ice and Fire series and wasn't priced preposterously high. As a whole, the collection was well worth it for the rest of the stories it contained. Some were bound to be better than others, of course, but there were a few gems. Since this is an anthology, I've tried to keep up with my opinions of each of the stories it contained ...more
Matt
The eleven stories with in this first "Legends" anthology are by some of the best writers of fantasy and science fiction, both in prose and sales. Edited by Robert Silverberg, who also contributed as well, the stories range within their established fictional worlds from stand alone either connect with the main series or in-between main series books or prequels with mixed results.

The best stories whether, stand alone or prequel, had the same things in common. First the reader did not need to know
Jeremy Preacher
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is really a brilliant idea for a collection, and the execution is fantastic. If you follow long-form fantasy at all, you'll probably at least recognize all of these authors, and each story is a pretty good capsule of the author's style and world. I've found that my reaction to the story maps pretty closely to my reaction to the series as a whole, and so this was a great way to encounter authors I hadn't yet read (Terry Pratchett, most notably - the Granny Weatherwax story is perfect and a p ...more
Gulen
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Çok sevdiğim yazarların, yine çok sevdiğim serilerinden hikayeler içeren antolojinin ilki, Lan ve Moirane'in tanışmasını anlatan New Spring'in ilk yayınlandığı antoloji..Aynı şekilde Hedge Knight'da ilk burada yayınlanmıştı..
Ria
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredible array of talent in this book is amply displayed with quality short stories and novellas.
It's impossible to list and recap them all as there are 11 tales included.
Suffice it to say the editor has done a sterling job of bringing some of the biggest and best names of fantasy together and putting them all in one book.
Fans will love returning to the mythical worlds these fantasy novelists have created and all give a little more insight into the books involved in each series.
Bought this
Markus
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good overview of some of the best fantasy authors there is. Personally I only thouroghly enjoyed a few of the stories, mostly Ursula. K. Le Guinn's and Silverberg's, but none the less it was worthwhile to get a sample from each.
R.G. Ziemer
Jun 12, 2013 rated it liked it
The concept behind this weighty 1998 tome was the publication of new short novels and stories by “legendary” creators of popular fantasy worlds – original adventures of their heroes, sequels, or prequels foreshadowing the events chronicled in their classic series. I’ve never been a big fan of fantasy fiction – my usually broad interests encompass hard sci-fi among other forms of popular and classic literature.

George R. R. Martin’s Song of Ice and Fire has been a major deviation for me. I’ve beco
Elizabeth
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I only read the GRRM Dunk & Egg novella, and that is what my review is for. I had no interest in reading the rest of the short stories, as they all seemed to belong to existing series rather than being stand-alone tales, and I always find myself mostly lost when reading those sorts of stories.

I picked up this story with some trepidation, because I have mixed feelings about GRRM’s writing. I loved the first three ASOIAF novels, but reading the last two brought back feelings of be
Emily
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very well-written collection of short stories by sci-fi & fantasy authors, each related to one the authors' series. My favorite was probably the Earthsea story by Ursula K. LeGuin, but all of them were quite good. This is the first "Legends" collection by editor Robert Silverberg, and includes all the stories. It was also published in a 3-volume set as "Legends Vol. 1" etc.

For my own convenience I'm listing the stories, the authors and their series here:

"The Little Sisters of Elur
Lauren
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Picking a star rating for an anthology is difficult since I had a range of reactions to the stories in this book. The Terry Goodkind and Robert Silverberg stories were my least favorite. The writing in both was immature and overly moral, particularly the Goodkind. The Silverberg stretched too long and just was not interesting. Ursula K. LeGuin and Anne McCaffrey's stories were middling quality; I didn't dislike them like I did "Debt of Bones" and "The Seventh Shrine", but they didn't strike me t ...more
Adrienne
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, fantasy
Not read all of these stories, only The Hedge Knight by George R. R. Martin and New Spring by Robert Jordan. What a fortuitous collection of short stories this was. Both are add on stories to my favourite fantasy worlds. I look forward to exploring the rest of these when I'm done reading the other series I am invested in.

Fans of Martin may be tempted to pick this up to get more of the world in his gigantic The Song of Ice and Fire series. For best results and the most payoff in connecting the t
Bryan
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I bought this book for George R. R. Martin's first Hedge Knight story, which is excellent. It also has stories set in Anne McCaffrey's Pern and Robert Silverberg's Majipoor, as well as a number of other popular fantasy worlds. If I remember correctly, the theme is encompassed by the title, and all of the stories take place in those worlds' early histories.
Mike
Nov 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
I haven't read all the stories yet, but have enjoyed most of them so far. Picked it up for George RR Martin's ASOIAF prequel "The Hedge Knight", which was awesome as expected, 5 stars easy. Also honorable to mention to "Debt of Bones" by Terry Goodkind from The Sword of Truth series which grabbed my attention. Some other entertaining stories mixed in there as well and I may have found a few new series to get in to like The Tales of Alvin Maker and The Wheel of Time. I'd recommend the whole colle ...more
Cathy (cathepsut)
I read this book several years ago. I don't remember when or where or what it looked like. Back then I probably picked it up because of Anne McCaffrey. But the only reason I remember the book at all and why I found it again is The Hedge Knight. My memory of the story is sketchy at best, but it made me get the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire. And the rest, as they say, is history.

I am now listening to the audiobook of A Dance with Dragons. If you are a fan of classic fantasy and are not scar
Nicole
John Ferringer
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I made a point of grabbing this specifically because it had the first Dunk and Egg short story from George R.R. Martin, but top to bottom its filled with outstanding stories from so many authors. Highly recommend...
Nelly
Díky sborníku jsem narazila na povídku od nějakého pana Goodkinda (prioriteně jsem si knihu pujčovala dysi kvůli Kingovi, ale pak jsem si koupila kvůli Dlužní kosti :D )
Gloria
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Foreword gives distinction between fantasy and science fiction as well as how fantasy was revived by interest in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series. Introduces some of the authors and mentions their contributions to the anthology.

A synopsis/summary of the series is given in the front of each story. Author's notes may be included saying "This may be enjoyed as a stand-alone story."

Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Little Sisters of Eluthra

Terry Pratche
Thijs
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-fantasy
This anthtology is a great collection of short stories by THE most well known fantasy authors (barring Tolkien and Rowling). And it is well worth a read, if you're looking for new great fantasy series to read.

In fact, the only writers/series I didn't know were 'Majipoor' and 'Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn'. And there is a reason why.

Robert Silverberg's Majipoor is a horrible peace of writing. A completely illogical world building and his discriptive writing is atrocious. (However much I would like t

• Warriors
  • Symphony
  • Black Magic
  • The Wildman
  • Sword and Sorceress XV
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more

Legends (2 books)
  • Legends II
“Because love does not do sums, but instead make choices, and then gives its all.” 6 likes
“You’re not too tall,” Dunk blurted out. “You’re just right for …” He realized what he had been about to say, and blushed furiously. “For?” said Tanselle, cocking her head inquisitively. “Puppets,” he finished lamely.” 2 likes