Manga Book Club discussion

Claymore, Vol. 1: Silver-eyed Slayer (Claymore, #1)
This topic is about Claymore, Vol. 1
Action > Claymore

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike, Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike | 52 comments Mod
What does everyone think about our current monthly read?

Claymore is a personal favorite of mine. It's very dark and quite violent, but has a great balance of intrigue, action and character development.

Just reread and reviewed the first volume. Excited to go back through the rest of the series to refresh my memory before reading the new volumes I have waiting.

message 2: by Mike, Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike | 52 comments Mod
Reread volumes 2-4, where Yagi moves from the single chapter intro stories of volume one to longer, more layered tales (usually 6-7 chapters, or about a volume and a quarter apiece). The pacing and execution is great. The danger and stakes are already ramping up severely.

The art is a perfect compliment to the story and is clear and easy to follow even when the action gets hectic. And there are some incredible, dramatic double page spreads.

These are the volumes that really hooked me for good on the series and rereading them is reminding me why I adore Claymore so much.

message 3: by Cozen (new)

Cozen Claymore is kinda meh. But hey you can't please us all, right. I would have suggested Kimera but their releases aren't steady enough. Are these titles to be read in the "completed" status? Just curious.

Josiane Claremont | 15 comments I've read up to the last chapter of Claymore online, and I think it's pretty dang awesome!

I've noticed that the youma really look like the akuma from D. Gray-Man. Is that weird?

message 5: by Cozen (new)

Cozen Josiane wrote: "I've read up to the last chapter of Claymore online, and I think it's pretty dang awesome!

I've noticed that the youma really look like the akuma from D. Gray-Man. Is that weird?"

Yeah, I kind of figured watching the anime on Crunchyroll tainted and ruined my whole experience with Claymore. You know... like how "Escaflowne" was so brutally mutilated from the original story once the U.S. tried their hands at translating and then converting it. That was such a shottie job.

Not that Crunchyroll did that but still there is always that missing info and different retelling of the story when it comes from book (in this case manga) to film (anime).

That and I tend to shy from dark depressing horror titles. . I'm more of a comedy type of reader like, "Immortal Rain", dark psychological titles like, "Sensen Spike Hills", or epic tales like "Amakusa 1637" "Gakuen Alice" and "Akagami no Shiraukihime". God, I'm such a girlie, girl.

Don't tell that to TZA (The Zero Alliance scanalation group). For being an all female scanalation group, we seldom touch anything in the Romance, Shoujo, Smut, or Josie genre. Well, that is unless it's in a One Shot, Arcana Anthonlogy title or a joint title from another group.

We deal mainly with titles like "Conductor" "Bloody Junky" and "Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist". More towards the psychological horror and drama.

So, basically most of my suggestions are going to be non published titles available to read on the web. I just wasn't sure if suggested titles should be ones that were in the "Completed" and not the "Ongoing" status.

message 6: by Miss Ryoko, Supreme Overlord ;) (last edited Aug 24, 2013 07:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Miss Ryoko (missryoko) | 375 comments Mod
I also think Claymore is kind of meh. The art... I try not to judge the art of manga because I can't draw to save my life, and it's something I really wish I could do, but the art of this series is really ugly. I can't pinpoint what it is that I don't like (I feel like it's the shape and look of the people's head and faces... they look weird), but there is nothing about this artwork that draws me in.

The storyline is interesting, but while I read the first 5 volumes, the only storyline I found I cared about was Teresa. She was awesome and bad ass (swear I'm not biased because we share the same name ;) haha!) But before and after that, I really didn't care much.

This bums me out because I really do like the premise of the storyline and feel like I should love the manga, but I just was only very mildly interested, and I'm sure the art has something to do with it. I think in the future I'll finish the rest of the series, but for now, I only have a slight interest in seeing what happens next and how it ends :-/

message 7: by Mike, Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike | 52 comments Mod
I'm definitely biased by having read several volumes and gone back to the begining as far as the art goes. I remember not really caring for some of it and having trouble with distinguishing the faces first time through. Don't know if I've just gotten used to the odd style or that my tastes have changed over the years (probably both) but I really like it now.

I agree that the most compelling part of the first five volumes was Teresa's story, but I like Clare too so was interested enough in her adventures and how what happened with Teresa connects to them to keep going.

Cozen wrote: "So, basically most of my suggestions are going to be non published titles available to read on the web. I just wasn't sure if suggested titles should be ones that were in the "Completed" and not the "Ongoing" status. "

I'm pretty sure we've had ongoing monthly reads before (which isn't much of an issue anyay since we rarely read more than the first five volumes). Don't know if there are any rules or preferences for things published in the US. You might want to ask about it in the suggestions thread here.