YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Sia
This topic is about Sia
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > Sia by Josh Grayson - Restarting October 21st 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sarah Elizabeth (last edited Aug 22, 2013 01:57AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83071 comments Mod
When seventeen-year-old Sia wakes up on a park bench, she has no idea who or where she is. Yet after a week of being homeless, she’s reunited with her family. At school, she’s powerful and popular. At home, she’s wealthy beyond her dreams. But she quickly realizes her perfect life is a lie. Her family is falling apart and her friends are snobby, cruel and plastic. Worse yet, she discovers she was the cruelest one. Mortified by her past, she embarks on a journey of redemption and falls for Kyle, the “geek” she once tormented. Yet all the time she wonders if, when her memories return, she’ll become the bully she was before…and if she’ll lose Kyle.

Rachmi and I will be reading this book on August 24th. Everyone welcome ☺

This book has not yet been released, and is available to review on Netgalley here:
https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/sho...

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Thanks for making the thread, Sarah.

This will be my third ARC from NetGalley, they don't often approved my request :D

It's a good idea to read and review some of the 'read-now' titles that are available, that way publishers know that you will read and review the books they give you, and you are more likely to get approved in future ☺

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Oh, I didn't even know that there's read-now books there. I think all of my request are need an approval first :)

If you go to 'find titles', on the left hand side of the page, under 'browse' there should be an option for 'Read now', if you click that, all the titles that come up should be available without approval ☺

Rachmi  | 4945 comments My goodness, I didn't realize that :D I always search through categories and/or publisher. Thank you.........

message 7: by Greta (new)

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments i don't know how fast i'll read this, but i'll join you on this one. :)

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Started this book an hour ago. I liked that it's typo-free & well edited so far, unlike my last ARC from NetGalley.

starting now ☺

3% (view spoiler)

message 11: by Sarah Elizabeth (last edited Aug 24, 2013 02:50AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

6% (view spoiler)

21% (view spoiler)

27% (view spoiler)

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Sarah, since I use my phone for a whole weekend, instead of laptop, I can't remove your spoiler alert. But you are such a fast reader. I'm only 30% now and wondering how the doctor knew Sia's last name.

I'm at 66% now. It's okay so far but nothing amazing. It's reminding me of the film 'clueless' at the moment!

69% (view spoiler)

message 17: by Sarah Elizabeth (last edited Aug 24, 2013 05:00AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

74% (view spoiler)

82% (view spoiler)

83% (view spoiler)

88% (view spoiler)

Rachmi  | 4945 comments I haven't watched Clueless yet but agree with you, there's nothing amazing so far in this book. But I want to know how Sia lost her memory. How is it so far, Sarah? gosh...you are really fast!

Hmm, not impressed. This is all a bit too unrealistic for me.

This is getting 2 stars from me. It's just so difficult to believe! It's as if the author has never even met a teenage girl!

Rachmi  | 4945 comments I can't feel Sia's voice and wondering what is missing in this story. In some part it's too fast and other part there's feel like the author didn't put much work to the characters. I also understand of what you said about unrealistic, like what I just read. Regarding to Sia's mom problem, I think it's too easy. I mean she has it for a year then suddenly Sia talked to her about and voila...she realizes her problem and wants to seek help, something that her husband can't do for months.

Her mom also changes her ways and starts praising Sia for things that she previously wouldn't have done. It's like she has a personality transplant.

Rachmi  | 4945 comments :D

I think I should pay more attention to my first impression of this book. When I read chapter one, I thought that she didn't nervous and fear enough as someone who woke up without memory. I even wrote a note about it. I guess from that chapter I should know that this whole story are getting too fast with more unrealistic characters.

I don't understand why she didn't try to find out who she was. Why not go to the police station and see if she'd been reported missing? So silly when it was obvious that she hadn't been living on the street before.

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Me either and again her life as homeless seems way too easy for me. That's from first few chapters too. I think what happen in this book are way too easy and too fast, it makes the story feels unrealistic.

message 29: by rachel ☾ (new)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8564 comments Hey guys! Me and Maddison are going to be reading this soon! Since there is already a thread for this book do we just post below? Ta. :)

Yes ☺

If you let me know what date you're starting, I'll change it in the thread title.

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 46266 comments Mod
I don't know what date we're starting sorry. So are you going to read with us even though you've read it before?

Is it good?

message 32: by rachel ☾ (new)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8564 comments Thanks Sarah! We'll let you know the date as soon as we know it! :)

Maddison wrote: "I don't know what date we're starting sorry. So are you going to read with us even though you've read it before?

Is it good?"

No, I wasn't a fan of this one :(

message 34: by rachel ☾ (new)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8564 comments Sarah wrote: "Maddison wrote: "I don't know what date we're starting sorry. So are you going to read with us even though you've read it before?

Is it good?"

No, I wasn't a fan of this one :("

Aww that's disappointing! :( We'll have to see what we think then!

Oh, and we are going to start on the 21st Oct, if you could pls add that to the title! Thanks Sarah! :)

message 35: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat (kaitlins16) I need to read this book, so I'm going join you. :)

Date changed ☺

message 37: by rachel ☾ (new)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8564 comments Kaitlin wrote: "I need to read this book, so I'm going join you. :)"

Awesome, Kaitlin! :)

message 38: by rachel ☾ (new)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8564 comments Sarah wrote: "Date changed ☺"

Thanks Sarah!

Nicole M. Hewitt (nicolemhewitt) I'll join in on this one!

message 40: by rachel ☾ (new)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8564 comments @Nicole Awesome! :)

Awesome Nicole!

And thanks Kaitlin!

11% chapter 5 (view spoiler)
Alright, sorry, rant over... For now.... XD

Maddison wrote: "11% chapter 5 [spoilers removed]
Alright, sorry, rant over... For now.... XD"

(view spoiler)

message 44: by rachel ☾ (new)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8564 comments (view spoiler)

Rachel wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 46: by rachel ☾ (new)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8564 comments Sarah wrote: "Rachel wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Did you guys know that the author has already re-written this as a movie and is hoping to sell the rights? I will be seriously shocked if he actually manages it!

message 48: by rachel ☾ (new)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8564 comments Sarah wrote: "Did you guys know that the author has already re-written this as a movie and is hoping to sell the rights? I will be seriously shocked if he actually manages it!"

Yes, I heard. He is working on the script right now! I won a copy of this book, and in the email saying I had won he said that he was going to make a movie of it and if we think it should be made into one as well, to add that in our reviews and he will send that to the producers! I cannot see this as a movie!

Me either. I think he's a little over confident. I've yet to speak to anyone who actually liked this.

message 50: by rachel ☾ (new)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8564 comments @Sarah I agree. No offense but even at the 12% mark, I can figure that out! Same, no-one seems to like it at all!

« previous 1 3