The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2013 > 30.7.Delicious Dee's task: I blame Ms Anderson….and Ellen Hopkins

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Sep 02, 2013 06:55AM) (new)

Sandy | 15903 comments Mod
30.7.Delicious Dee's task: I blame Ms Anderson….and Ellen Hopkins
When I first saw Ms Anderson’s task this past season, I was worried because of the poetry option and I’ll readily admit that I dislike poetry with a vengeance…ironically enough, I rolled a double 5, which meant I was faced with finding not only 1, but 2 poetry books…but Ms Anderson came to my rescue (thankfully) and recommended Ellen Hopkins – who writes novel-in-verse/poetry, and I was hooked. I read 4 of her books during the course of the season and look forward to reading more…so in honor of Ellen Hopkins and Ms Anderson’s help…a task was born ;)

For this task, you will roll 2 dice to determine your options. Dice Roller. If both dice are the same, roll again until you get two different numbers. Read 2 books, corresponding to your dice roll.
REQUIRED: Indicate in your post the numbers you rolled.

No re-reads allowed and at least one author must be new to you. REQUIRED: Indicate in your post which author(s) are new to you.

Roll 1 – Ms Anderson has rated all of Ellen Hopkins books either 4 or 5 stars – read a book that Ms Anderson has rated 4 or 5 stars. Ms Anderson's "read" shelf

Roll 2 – Read a book written by Ellen Hopkins, or one that she contributed to (as an editor, short story in an anthology etc). You can find has a list of her published works according to Goodreads here.
Required - if she is not the primary author of the work, state her role in the book.

Roll 3 - Read a book whose author's initials appear in MS ANDERSON. Letters can only be used as often as they appear in MS ANDERSON - so the only double initial names that can be used are "SS" and "NN." Middle initials can be ignored - only first and last names count.

Roll 4 - For me, Ms Anderson has been great for providing recommendations on books to read, it's like we are reading sisters separated at birth and have never met – read a book that was rated 4 or 5 stars by a Goodreads friend who you have never met. REQUIRED: state the friend whose rating you used and provide a link to his or her profile.

Roll 5 - Read a book that has poetry, sociology, or young adult as a genre listed on its Goodreads main page.

Roll 6 - Using one of the following 2 links, read a book by an author “similar” to Ellen Hopkins - Literature Map or Goodreads – Authors Like Ellen Hopkins.
Required: state which link you used.

message 2: by Dee (last edited Aug 30, 2013 02:46AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments option 5
libriomancer

option 6
Literature Map - Laurie Anderson is Laurie halsie Anderson on Goodreads

message 3: by Dee (last edited Aug 22, 2013 12:55PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments Not approved

1 - Coraline

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15903 comments Mod
This thread is now opened!

message 5: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments cute task, Dee!

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments Thanks Sassy! r u playing again?

message 7: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments I like it Dee! I rolled a 5,6.

message 8: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Hey Dee,

I have a question. When I plugged Ellen Hopkins into the Literature Map one of the authors that came up was Laurie Anderson. When I plugged that name into GR I only got Laurie Halse Anderson. I'm assuming Lit Map means LHA. Just confirming with you that I can use LHA for this challenge.

Thanks!

message 9: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Love this task. That Ms Anderson is responsible for a lot of clever ideas--even when it's other people getting them.

I rolled 1 and 5, but I haven't started looking for books yet.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments Yep Fran - LHA is the author

message 11: by Fran (last edited Aug 21, 2013 07:27PM) (new)

Fran | 736 comments Dee wrote: "Yep Fran - LHA is the author"

Thanks Dee! There are a few other authors that are also interesting to me from the Lit Map so I have some good choices :)

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments I just came home from Seattle to see this posted. Yay for finishing, Dee! But I sense some apologies in my future...

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

rolled a 1&5

for 1, can i read Coraline?

for 5, i am reading The Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments Unfortunately no children's books less than 300 pages are approved for this task so coralie won't work

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1019 comments Great Task DEE!!! I LOVE ELLEN HOPKINS!!!! There are several good books/authors who write novels in verse but Ellen is my fav :) I am impatiently waiting for Smoke (Burned, #2) by Ellen Hopkins to be released.

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments Glad you like it robin - I have that one on my list

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, thanks Dee! Wow! Ms Anderson has read A LOT of books I found a few I might like! I will look for another one.

message 18: by Bec (new)

Bec (foreverfnm) | 135 comments I rolled a 6 (and a 4, but that isnt important)... and in the literature map the only author on there that I have the slightest interest in reading is 'jodi picault', who I assume is Jodi Picoult? I just wanted to check that it is her despite the spelling...

message 19: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Dee wrote: "Thanks Sassy! r u playing again?"

Not sure. Just checking out tasks right now. I've got a lot on my plate coming up. We'll see. I'm missing it though.

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments @ Bec - yep - I'll add that to the list in post 2...Literature Map is user derived, so if they spell names wrong, you may end up with the same author twice, with different spellings

message 21: by Bec (new)

Bec (foreverfnm) | 135 comments Thanks Dee. :)

message 22: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments Roll 4: Burnt Shadows by Kamila Shamsie. Friend: Bernadette Robinson 4/5 http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

Roll 5: Abandon by Meg Cabot listed as Young Adult.

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments sound good

message 24: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3929 comments Claire wrote: "Roll 4: Burnt Shadows by Kamila Shamsie. Friend: Bernadette Robinson 4/5 http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

Roll 5: Abandon by Meg Cabot listed as Young A..."

Claire, I loved Burnt Shadows by Kamila Shamsie. I gave it 5*.

message 25: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments I love this task! I'm excited to read a book by Ellen Hopkins and a little worried that I'll get hooked!

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments yeah - they are highly addictive Jayme...as long as you are prepared...I re-counted - I read 5 last challenge...the Crank trilogy; Burned and Identical - she also has a couple of adult books, and has edited/contributed to quite a few anthologies

message 27: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Jayme VA wrote: "I love this task! I'm excited to read a book by Ellen Hopkins and a little worried that I'll get hooked!"

Burned is my personal favorite, and its sequel, Smoke, is coming out right after my birthday (best. present. ever.)!

message 28: by Jayme VA (last edited Aug 26, 2013 01:01PM) (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments I got Tricks out of the library and have a feeling I'll be reading more this challenge. Might have to get Burned next if the sequal is coming out soon!

message 29: by Angela (new)

Angela | 441 comments I quickly devour her books as soon as they become available! I had no idea that she wrote in verse style, so when I opened the first book I checked out of the library by her, I almost sent it back. Glad I gave it a chance!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1019 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Jayme VA wrote: "I love this task! I'm excited to read a book by Ellen Hopkins and a little worried that I'll get hooked!"

Burned is my personal favorite, and its sequel, Smoke, is coming out rig..."

Burned is my all time favorite too :)

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments The audiobooks are really good as well

message 32: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Jayme VA wrote: "I got Tricks out of the library and have a feeling I'll be reading more this challenge. Might have to get Burned next if the sequal is coming out soon!"

Jayme - I am reading Tricks for Ms. Anderson's task for the book shelved LGBT. I was so excited when I saw this book was on that shelf because, tbh, that isn't my genre of choice. So far I have two Ellen Hopkins books on my list for this season and I hope to squeeze in some more. I don't think I have read Burned yet so I will definitely be looking to check that one out.

message 33: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Dee wrote: "The audiobooks are really good as well"

I haven't tried them as audiobooks because I wasn't sure how the poetry style would translate into audio. I might have to try that, though, if it is good.

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments They read like a book - I was surprised but then I'm big on poetry/plays being listened to/seen rather than read

message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments But then you miss when she offsets certain words to create another message. Or do they read that sentence too? I always read her books like non-poetry (I am not a poetry fan), but I look for those hidden sentences.

message 36: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments For #6, Hannah Moskowitz was on the literature map. I am going to read Marco Impossible. I really enjoyed Gone, Gone, Gone by her, so I am looking forward to this one :)

message 37: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments you don't hear the "shapes" of the poems (for lack of a better word) - but my mind honestly does't comprehend those all that well, so for me, they weren't all that striking

message 38: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Jayme VA wrote: "I got Tricks out of the library and have a feeling I'll be reading more this challenge. Might have to get Burned next if the sequal is coming out soon!"

Jayme - I am reading Tric..."

I was thinking of using that one for Ms. Anderson's task too. I just want to see how much I like her first :)

message 39: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Dee wrote: "The audiobooks are really good as well"

Bah- my library doesn't have any :/

message 40: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 29, 2013 08:49AM) (new)

roll 1- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne <-- i have never heard or read anything by John Boyne (is this ok?)

message 41: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments unfortunately, its shelved as childrens and has less than 300 pages, so it wouldn't work - sorry

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok- how about --> Jane Eyre?

message 43: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments yep - JE will work, if you have never read Bronte/or it isn't a re-read

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Nope, I haven't read anything from the Brontes.

message 45: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "Nope, I haven't read anything from the Brontes."

I only rated Jane Eyre a 3, though...

I have a whole shelf of 5-star reads, if that'll make it easier to find one.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (booksandbosox) | 109 comments So no children's or graphic novels for option 1, even though a lot of Ms. Anderson's 4/5 star books fall in one of those categories?

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess, maybe I will have to do another option. Thanks for the 5 star shelve link but a lot of them are under 300 pgs or children's or graphic novels...I will do another option/roll

message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments nope - had to make it a bit of a challenge :)

message 49: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "I guess, maybe I will have to do another option. Thanks for the 5 star shelve link but a lot of them are under 300 pgs or children's or graphic novels...I will do another option/roll"

Libba Bray's books are awesome, and they're long enough...if you like historical fiction, you shoul try A Great and Terrible Beauty. Also, The Fault in Our Stars was one of the absolute best books I've ever read. If you can get a copy, The Compleat Works of Wllm Shkspr is hysterical. If you let me know what genres you like, I can help you wade through the books that won't work.

message 50: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments just remember - you can only roll once...its not like you don't like the option and re-roll ;)

« previous 1