What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED: Girl who invents stories and makes them come true? [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Feb 01, 2008 10:54AM) (new)

Anna I vaguely remember reading this story years ago, but can't remember all the details and I'd like to reread it.

There was a girl who lived near a big old posh house. In the big house there lived a man/boy who she befriended but he was either mute or didn't talk much. I think he was beholden in some way (like a spell) to the woman who lived there. I think this woman was evil in some way - but definitely magical in some manner. I think the girl grows up during the course of the story (I can't remember if the man/boy does).
I think she and the man make up stories/games. The man was special in some way and I think the girl realises that anything he made up would come true. I think there was an accident in the book, maybe a car accident, which helped him to break the spell over him.

I'm sorry this is so vague, I would appreciate any insight people could give!

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 2 comments I'm not really sure, but bits of this sound a little bit like Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna | 207 comments It sounds as though you're thinking of Fire and Hemlock (http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Hemlock-Di...), by Diana Wynne Jones, which is one of her books by older readers. The girl is called Polly, and the man is called Thomas Lynn, who is under the power of a woman called Laurel.

Ring any bells for you?

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Fire and Hemlock, that's it, thank you!

message 5: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 5 comments It's a magical book, one of my all time favs. :)