Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Welcome > Welcome! Please Read if You are New to Us!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited May 17, 2015 04:25AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8255 comments Welcome to the Goodreads M/T Reading Friends group!

About Us. This group was started in March 2009 by a group of online reading friends exiled from America Online (AOL) when it decided to eliminate most of its message boards, including the Mystery/Thriller board. Many of us have been together over 10 years, with others having joined more recently. We welcome new members and invite you to read and share.

As you can imagine, as longtime friends the group has built up a history and a culture of sorts. Some of it will be obvious (happy birthday wishes to members), others of it will not be (what the !?@ is UOOOR?*). If something isn’t obvious to you, don’t hesitate to ask!

A Little About Goodreads (GR). Below is more information to help you understand and navigate this particular group. If you are new to Goodreads please look for the “New to Goodreads?” post for some tips about how to get started.

If you are familiar with Goodreads you will know that there are at least two places to get information about how to make the most of GR. One is the Help area, reached by clicking on the link at the very bottom right hand side of every page. The other is by searching for the group called “Goodreads Feedback.” This group contains information on how to do stuff, and is where people from all groups list their questions and requests for new features.

How We’re Organized. We have tried to take advantage of GR’s folder system to loosely group posts into the areas listed below (the folder names and order may change). Please feel free to post as little or as much as you like, it’s all voluntary.

Monthly “Reads”: This is where to post the books you’ve read in a particular month. Please start a new post with your name and the month in the title.

Upcoming Book Releases. This is mostly for posts from our Gail, who kindly lists upcoming books and release dates. Sometimes others stumble on info that hasn’t been listed, so feel free to add, or comment.

Books Just Finished/Now Reading. Sometimes you don’t want to wait until the end of the month to talk about a book! All book comments welcome, even if you wind up repeating/summarizing in your monthly reads post.

Spoiler Talk on Books We’ve Read. It is time to confess that some of us get hives if a plot point is revealed (aka “spoiler”) for a book we haven’t read, without some warning. To take the stress out of spoiler talk we’ve created a thread where you can spoil the plot to your heart’s content. Please, one book per post, someone reading spoilers about a book they’ve read will not be happy to have the post morph into spoilers about other books they may not have read.

Miscellaneous Book Talk. Anything book related that doesn’t fit into the above categories. e.g. author signings, book conferences, books-to-movie news, etc.

Goodreads Tips, etc. This folder contains all sorts of good stuff we’ve learned as we’ve gotten oriented to Goodreads and want to share with others. It probably duplicates some of what’s in the Help feature and on the Goodreads Feedback Group’s board. If you don’t find your answer here, go to those other areas.

Etcetera. Anything that doesn’t fit into the above goes here, e.g. Birthday Wishes, personal news, TV talk, rants about AOL (we’re mostly over this but every now and then….), etc.

Archives. Posts that are no longer active (no new comments in 2-3 months).

Author Promotions and Events If you are here to share your body of work, newly published books, or upcoming promotional events, please post them in the Author Promotion and Events folder. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group.... We are firm about this request; any author promotion posts that appear elsewhere will be deleted. We'd move them if we could, but Goodreads doesn't have that capability.

ENJOY! We love it that you are here.

________
* UOOOR is a term coined by our Ann to describe that she is an Unrepentant Out of Order Reader, as opposed to a RIO, someone devoted to reading series books IN ORDER.

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellenrt) | 18 comments I am pretty new here, and I have a question. I just found an e-book that I did not order and did not want, although, looking at it, I think I want to read it. Then, I found a long list of books-classics that are also sitting there waiting to be downloaded to my iPod. Should this happen? My paranoid husband is convinced that when I sync my iPod someone will get into my computer and steal all my writing or my genealogy or get into our bank accounts. The book is "In the Garden of Beasts: Love , Terror, and an American family in Hitler's Berlin" by Eric Larson.
I must have clicked something, like "download"

message 3: by Ann (last edited Apr 23, 2011 08:06PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Ellen:
That sounds really odd. I won't begin to speculate on the safety of the Internet or of syncing devices, where there is a will there is a hacker, but with normal precautions of virus software and firewalls you should be safe. I read about In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin tonight in the latest issue of Bookpage magazine and it looks good(and chilling). http://bookpage.com/book/erik-larson/...
Good Luck figuring out what you downloaded. Since the book doesn't release until May, perhaps it is a sample excerpt. *There is an excerpt available here on GR.

Ellen wrote: "I am pretty new here, and I have a question. I just found an e-book that I did not order and did not want, although, looking at it, I think I want to read it. ........My paranoid husband is convinced that when I sync my iPod someone will get into my computer and steal all my writing or my genealogy or get into our bank accounts. The book is "In the Garden of Beasts: Love , Terror, and an American family in Hitler's Berlin" by Eric Larson."

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie Raffety (jraffety) | 16 comments Ann, I read In the Garden of Beasts this year & I thought it was one of the best books of the year. It was so hard for the family to truly get how evil it was.

message 5: by Ann (last edited Dec 22, 2012 06:44PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Julie: That is good to know that you rank it so high; I never got to In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin in 2012, hopefully I can in 2013!
Julie wrote: "Ann, I read In the Garden of Beasts this year & I thought it was one of the best books of the year. It was so hard for the family to truly get how evil it was."

message 6: by Ann (last edited Dec 22, 2013 12:19PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Well there is nothing like seeing a post twelve months old and realizing another year went by without reading the book I planned to read soon last year!
Anyway to continue our welcome to new posters here on our group, feel free to drop in and post what you have been reading, what you plan to read in 2014 and soon we'll post threads for you to post your favorite books of 2013.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments 2014 Update - Group Read books
We are selecting a book (or two) to read together each month (or two!) and invite everyone to participate in the discussion threads that will be found under the Spoilers Welcome folder.
We'll break each book into smaller chapter-group threads with an intro thread (no spoilers) and an overall impressions thread. The first posters will add a synopsis of that set of chapters to guide us in posting within that set.
We look forward to chatting about books with you!

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 226 comments WELCOME EVERYONE!

message 9: by Jenj (new)

Jenj | 1 comments Hello! I just joined the group today and am excited to find some new material to read and discuss. Thanks for welcoming new members and defining UOOOR, of which I'm one. Although I'll tend to start a new series from book one. - Jen

message 10: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments Welcome, and don't forget to share YOUR choices. We're always looking for something new or different to read.

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments welcome, jenj!

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Welcome Jenji!

message 13: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8255 comments Jenj, good to see you! I look forward to your joining the conversations and hearing what you are reading.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome everyone! :)

message 15: by Neha (new)

Neha hey guys. I am neha. Love M/T genre.
Discussing books would be a new experience for me. Looking forward to it! :)

message 16: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments welcome, everyone!

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Welcome all.

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Welcome Neha!

message 19: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8255 comments Glad to see you here, Neha!

message 20: by Neha (new)

Neha Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Glad to see you here, Neha!"
thanks carol

message 21: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3667 comments hiya Neha welcome to the group.

message 22: by Peter (new)

Peter Wick | 3 comments Hey All my new release "Key West The Companion Episodes" is free in the kindle store through Sunday. Join the many who have already downloaded it Free!
http://www.amazon.com/Key-West-Compan...

message 23: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8255 comments Hey Peter,

I just posted this after the other post you wrote on this topic. Definitely no need to post your news twice in this group! In future please post your author promotions here. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

Thanks.

Peter wrote: "Hey All my new release "Key West The Companion Episodes" is free in the kindle store through Sunday. Join the many who have already downloaded it Free!
http://www.amazon.com/Key-West-Compan......"

message 24: by H.L. (new)

H.L. Walton | 17 comments Hi I've got a question. I am running a giveaway on my mystery/thriller novel Behind Blue Eyes and will be giving away ebook copies to the first 100 people to request it in order to get my book out there for people to read and enjoy and try to generate some honest feedback in the form or reviews on Goodreads and/or Amazon and I'm just not sure where I should post this. I want to get the word out there to as many mystery/thriller readers as possible but I don't want to be annoying anyone by posting the wrong thing in the wrong place. Thanks :-)

message 25: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments + Author Promotions and Events

message 26: by H.L. (new)

H.L. Walton | 17 comments Thanks Barry!

message 27: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Watt (thomasMwatt) | 4 comments Thank you so much for posting this. You have no idea how grateful I am to finally have someone point me in the right direction here.

message 28: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8255 comments Thanks for reading it, Thomas! It gave me a chance to re-read it. There are several out of date references (our dear Gail is no longer with us; we are well and truly over the AOL debacle) but I am loathe to change for sentimental reasons. Maybe someday....

message 29: by Maryjo (last edited Sep 12, 2015 01:41PM) (new)

Maryjo Hello all! Been wandering around goodreads for a couple years now and decided to join this group due to my love of thrillers and lack of "what-to-read-next" decision making skills.

I'm looking forward to diving into the group's bookshelves!

message 30: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Maryjo: we may not help with the decisions of what to read next, but can definitely help seed the piles to choose from! Welcome!!
Maryjo wrote: "Hello all! Been wandering around goodreads for a couple years now and decided to join this group due to my love of thrillers and lack of "what-to-read-next" decision making skills."

message 31: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments Welcome, Maryjo.

message 32: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8255 comments Maryjo, great to see you.

message 33: by Jen (new)

Jen | 10 comments Hi! I'm Jen! I'm looking forward to great book recommendations from everyone!

message 34: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Welcome, Jen! The JF NR (just finished / now reading ) thread and monthly lists are great places for recommendations!
Jen wrote: "Hi! I'm Jen! I'm looking forward to great book recommendations from everyone!"

message 35: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments Welcome, Jen.

message 36: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Welcome Jen.

message 37: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments ...not to mention the monthly reviews.

message 38: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8255 comments Glad to have you with us, Jen!

message 39: by Jen (new)

Jen | 10 comments Thank you all for the welcome!

message 40: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Sandler | 11 comments I am new to this group, I need to ask I revised my mystery/thriller and would like to get people to read/review, but some groups I tried to mention this found my request, well they didn't like it. I have another of the same type book. How can I get people to consider this book.

message 41: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Welcome to the group, Douglas!
Good luck with your newly revised book. I see you posted an offer for free coupons under the Author Promotions area. Perhaps you could include the title so we know which of your books you refer to and a brief description.

Douglas wrote: "I am new to this group, I need to ask I revised my mystery/thriller and would like to get people to read/review, but some groups I tried to mention this found my request, well they didn't like it. ..."

message 42: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Sandler | 11 comments I fixed that just now

message 43: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8255 comments Hi Douglas. I will add that most groups I have joined on GR have a definite way they would like authors to present/announce their books. Some have created a topic for this, like we did, because it is annoying to have authors pop into the middle of a book discussion thread, hawking their books. (and speaking for myself, I want people to join this group to discuss what they're reading, not to just promote their books.) I bet other groups don't want it, period. Groups usually have some sort of introduction or "rules" post that will state what their policy is, so I would suggest always looking for this post when you go to a group to share your book. Good luck!

message 44: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Best (ambest) | 3 comments I'm new to this group. Always looking for a mystery book to dive into..book stores have become expensive, so I mainly purchase from my Kindle or check the library..Looking forward to meeting friends and finding new books!

message 45: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8255 comments Amanda wrote: "I'm new to this group. Always looking for a mystery book to dive into..book stores have become expensive, so I mainly purchase from my Kindle or check the library..Looking forward to meeting friend..."

Welcome, Amanda! Nice to meet you. I look forward to your comments on what you're reading and what we're talking about!

message 46: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments We do love our libraries Amanda! Welcome!
Amanda wrote: "I'm new to this group. Always looking for a mystery book to dive into..book stores have become expensive, so I mainly purchase from my Kindle or check the library..Looking forward to meeting friend..."

message 47: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments Welcome, Amanda.

message 48: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Tristem | 1 comments Hello to the group from a debut author.
I've just claimed my novel, The Incidental Murderer, on Goodreads as the writer, so I'm very much learning the ropes.
I'd be pleased to chat with anyone who has tips for new writers, or who justs wants to chat about books.
Andrew

message 49: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Welcome Andrew! we are all about book chat here; from the group read books to monthly read lists to a running commentary on our current and just finished books. We invite you to join in the discussions or post about your work in the author promotions folder we have designated. What are you currently reading? Here's the thread for that: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Andrew wrote: "Hello to the group from a debut author.
I've just claimed my novel, The Incidental Murderer, on Goodreads as the writer, so I'm very much learning the ropes.
I'd be pleased to chat with anyone who..."

message 50: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenpb10) Hi. I've just joined this group, my first on Goodreads, in fact my first book club type thing ever. I'm looking forward to reading reviews of some books I know, just to see what others like to discuss.

« previous 1 3