The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Need some Reccs!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosie (new)

Rosie | 1 comments Okay, I'm not really a big reader...I used to be but then for some reason I stopped and over the past few years there havn't been many books that I've managed to read to the end, sadly...

I've been reading "The Gargoyle" by Andrew Davidson and I LOVE it. I love the plot, but especially the writing style and imagery. This book has made me want MORE great books to read and has made me want to have a book splurge again - But I don't know what I want to read!

Books I've enjoyed in recent years (As well as The Gargoyle):
Ways To Live Forever by Sally Nicholls
Change Of Heart, Keeping Faith and My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult (I've tried to read more of her books, but they all seem a bit "meh" to me.)
The Time Travellers Wife by Audren Niffenegger (Another book where I really enjoyed the writing style.)

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

message 3: by Anna (new)

message 4: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (marybethbaker) | 98 comments If you like historical fiction, I really enjoyed The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan.
American Fuji by Sara Backer was also good, as well as The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry. Away by Amy Bloom was great in my opinion, although I've heard mixed reviews. And, I'm a big fan of Emily Giffin's work because she can make even a situation like adultery palatable.

message 6: by Brenda (last edited May 26, 2009 02:32PM) (new)

Brenda | 163 comments I would recommend Ann Patchett. She has several very well written, interesting books.

Also, I really loved The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon.

message 7: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments Practical magic by Alice Hoffman and Chocolat are great magical realism books that have great prose to them.

message 8: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) Pope Joan, The Historian, Dracula, The Messiah (suspence), Bel Canto, and The Good Earth.