Cozy Mysteries discussion

"Featuring" author...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 452 (452 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Candace (new)

Candace Davidson | 833 comments Mod
Starting 6/17/13 I will be "featuring" a different cozy author each week on this thread. Each day I will have different info regarding the author and their books. These will only be authors that I've read so far. As of today, the number is 22. To be different I will be starting at the end of the alphabet and working backwards. Til then Happy Reading!

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna Carter | 7 comments Sounds good. Hope to hear about alot of new authors with cozies to read....

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina | 247 comments Thanks!!!! That will be great!!!!!

message 4: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 106 comments Thank you. I can't wait.

message 5: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige Looking forward to it!!

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (1chpwife) | 29 comments Nice! :)

message 7: by Candace (new)

Sorry for posting so late in the day. It has been a very busy day. Having said that here is the featured cozy author for this week.

NINA WRIGHT
The first release from The Whiskey Mattimoe series (2005) is called "Whiskey on the Rocks"
The first release from the teen paranormal series(2006) is called "Home Free"

Each day I will be posting different info on this author. Stay tuned for what I will be posting tomorrow!! :)

message 8: by Candace (new)

2nd day featuring NINA WRIGHT:
Here are her websites and email info:
www.ninawright.net
www.whiskeymattimoe.blogspot.com
nina@ninawright.net

message 9: by Candace (new)

Day 3, NINA WRIGHT
Nina writes 2 series:
The Whiskey Mattimoe series
A Teen Paranormal series

message 10: by Candace (new)

Day 4 NINA WRIGHT:
Her books listed in chronological order:

Whiskey on the Rocks 2005
Whiskey Straight Up 2006
Whiskey and Tonic 2007
Whiskey and Water 2008
Whiskey with a Twist 2009

2nd series
Home Free 2006
Sensitive 2007

message 11: by Candace (new)

Day 5 NINA WRIGHT:
(I have only read The Whiskey Mattimoe series so I can only comment on that series)

Here is a synopsis of The Whiskey Mattimoe series:
Whiskey Mattimoe who's real name is Whitney Houston Halloran Mattimoe is a widow who has a realty business that she and her late husband started. She has an Afgan hound (it was her husband's) who likes to steal things. Whiskey has an 8 yr old neighbor, Chester that spends more time with her than his mom. This series a cozy mystery with humor, some may consider it dark humor.
Two more days left on Nina Wright! :)

message 12: by Candace (new)

Day 6 NINA WRIGHT:
I have only read The Whiskey Mattimoe series so I only have an opinion on that. This series is full of humor thorough out. The characters are relatable and real. Nina does a great job of making you "feel" for each character. One of the main characters is an Afgan hound so what is not to like?

message 13: by Candace (new)

Final day of NINA WRIGHT:
On day 4 when I was posting titles already out I forgot one :(
Whiskey and Soda 2012

Today the last day featuring NINA WRIGHT, I am posting her newest release.
Whiskey Large, due summer 2013

message 14: by Candace (new)

Day 1 HEATHER WEBBER:
These are the 1st books in all the series she has out currently.

Truly Madly (Lucy Valentine series)
A Hoe Lot of Trouble (Nina Quinn series)
Surrender, My Love
The Cinderella Plan
As Heather Blake
It Takes a Witch

message 15: by Candace (new)

Day 2 Heather Webber:
Here are her websites
www.heatherwebber.com
www.heatherblakebooks.com

message 16: by Candace (new)

Day 3 HEATHER WEBBER

Heather Webber also writes as Heather Blake

Heather Webber series:

The Lucy Valentine series
The Nina Quinn series
A Romance series
There are also some E-Titles

Heather Blake series:

The Wishcraft series
The Magic Potion series

message 17: by Candace (new)

Day 4 HEATHER WEBBER
Her books in chronological order:

Lucy Valentine series
Truly Madly 2/2010
Deeply Desperately 8/2010
Absolutely Positively 2/2011
Definitely Maybe (short story) 2/2011
Perfectly Matched 5/2012

Nina Quinn series:
A Hoe Lot of Trouble 2004
Trouble in Spades 2005
Digging Up Trouble 2006
Trouble in Bloom 2007
Weeding Out Trouble 2008
Trouble Under The Tree 2011

Romance series:
Surrender, My Love 2002
Secrets of the Heart 2003
Hearts are Wild 2004

Other series:
The Cinderella Plan 2011
Sweet Dreams 2011

Cookbook:
The Cozy Chicks cookbook 2012

As Heather Blake
Wishcraft series:
It Takes a Witch 2012
A Witch Before Dying 2012
The Good, The Bad, The Witchy 2013

message 18: by Candace (new)

Day 5 of Heather Webber {a day late ;( }
I can only give you information on the series that I've read.

Lucy Valentine series:
Lucy inherited the family "power" of seeing auras but as a teenager she gets struck by lightening and now her "power" is finding lost objects. Her family are desendents of Cupid. This is a romance mystery series w/ humor.

Nina Quinn series:
Nina runs a buisness called Taken By Suprise. Her company does a yard makeover in one day without the knowledge of the homeowner. Nina divorced her cheating cop husband and has his son (her step son) live with her. Nina tends to stumble onto dead bodies in her life. She tries to solve the murder. This is a murder mystery with humor.

Wishcraft series:
Darcy Merriweather has the power to grant wishes. This power runs through her family but it is also a secret. There are talking animals that are friends with these "wishcrafters" Darcy helps to solve the murders that happen in her small town. This is a paranormal murder mystery with humor and romance.

message 19: by Candace (new)

Day 6 of Heather Webber
I have read the Lucy Valentine, Nina Quinn and the Wishcraft series. I have immensley enjoyed each series. They each are different but you can tell they are the same writer. I would highly recommend any of these books.

message 20: by Candace (new)

Final Day of Heather Webber
New Releases:

Nina Quinn series
The Root of All Trouble
May 2013

Lucy Valentine series
Untitled Fall 2013

*BRAND NEW SERIES*
A Magic Potion series
A Potion to Die for Nov 2013

Wishcraft series
The Goodbye Witch May 2014

message 21: by Candace (new)

Hello cozy lovers! Today starts Denise Swanson week!
Her first releases:

Scumble River series
Murder of a Small Town Honey, 2000

Devereaux' s Dime Store
Little Shop of Homicide, 2012

Join me here everyday this week for different info on Denise Swanson and her books!

message 22: by Candace (new)

****I have a special treat for current and future fans of Denise Swanson. Denise was kind enough to take time out of her busy schedule and do a "mini interview" with me via email. See below for the "mini interview"****

Mini Interview with Denise Swanson 6/26/2013

#1 You have 2 incredible series published, have considered doing a 3rd series, if yes any hints on what it would be?

(D.S.) I doubt that I'd do another mystery series at this time. It took me forever to come up with the dime store concept and I don't have any other ideas for a good series right now. I am planning to write and release some contemporary romances within the next year or so. I have one complete--Good Girl Overboard, and am working on two more when I have a spare minute. I want to have all three finished before releasing them, then do so a month apart.

#2 If you could live in any state regardless of the weather, what state and why?

(D.S.) I love my home state of Illinois and if weather weren't a factor would never want to move. If I won the lottery, I'd love a second home on the big island of Hawaii.

#3 Where do you see yourself as a writer in 10 years?

(D.S.) I hope to still be writing a couple of books a year, but with a bit more variety. As mentioned above, some romance and perhaps a thriller and an apocalyptical sage.

#4 To your knowledge have any of the authors that you are a fan of, read your books and if so did they comment on them?

(D.S.)I know Charlaine Harris does, but I'm not sure whether others that I admire do.

#5 When you have time, what genre of books do you enjoy?

(D.S.) I read cozy mystery, romance, some urban fantasy, and any apocalyptical or zombie book I run across.

#6 What is the most thoughtful gift you have received from a fan?

(D.S.) I think a pair of earrings with a red high heel when Murder of a Smart Cookie came out was one of my favorites. She had made them herself. But I think the biggest gift from my readers are the wonderful e-mails and FB messages telling me how my books have impacted their lives.

message 23: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 106 comments I am loving the "feature author" section. Thanks Candace you are making me want to read the books that I haven't. I look forward to more.

message 24: by Candace (new)

You are so welcome Jeanie! :)

message 25: by Candace (new)

Day 2
DENISE SWANSON
www.deniseswanson.com
She also blogs on www.killercharacters.com as well

message 26: by Candace (new)

Day 3
DENISE SWANSON

She writes 2 series:
Scumble River series
Devereaux's Dime Store series

message 27: by Candace (new)

E-books:
"Not a Monster of a Chance" (short story)
From the anthology "And the Dying is Easy'"
6/2001

"Dead Blondes Tell No Tales" (novella)
From the anthology "Drop Dead Blonde"
2/2005

Scumble River series
Murder of...
Small Town Honey 7/2000
Sweet Old Lady 4/2001
Sleeping Beauty 4/2002
Snake in the Grass 4/2003
Barbie and Ken 11/2003
Pink Elephant 7/2004
Smart Cookie 7\2005
Real Bad Boy 8/2006
Botoxed Blond 4/2007
Chocolate Covered Cherry 4/2008
Royal Pain 4/2009
Wedding Belle 4/2010
Bookstore Babe 3/2011
Creped Suzette 10/2011
Cat's Meow 9/2012

Devereaux Dime's Store series
Little Shop of Homicide 3/2012
Nickeled and Dimed to Death 3/2013

message 28: by Candace (new)

Day 5 DENISE SWANSON

Scumble River series:
Skye Denison is a school psychologist who helps solve crimes in her small town. She has dated the town's coroner and also dates the chief of police. When Skye is not dealing with her mom's "antics"(she means well) she is finding dead bodies. Mystery and humor!

Devereaux's Dime Store series:
Devereaux owns a five and dime store in a small town in Missouri. When not selling antiques or making one of a kind baskets, she helps solve murders. She has trouble deciding between her current flame and her ex-flame. This series is a bit more risque than Scumble River series. Mystery and humor!

message 29: by Candace (new)

Hint for next week' s author
She only has 1 cozy mystery published
She is from Chagrin Falls, OH

message 30: by Candace (new)

Hint 2
The author's initials are J.O.

message 31: by Candace (new)

Day 6 DENISE SWANSON

Scumble River series
It is light hearted, has plenty of mystery and most definitely humor. One of my favorite characters are the Doozier family. A Scumble River book isn't complete without them. You can always be sure you'll be left in stitches from what they add to the book.

This series is a little more risque than the other series but still mild when compared to other mystery books. This series also has plenty of mystery, humor and you can't forget romance.

Denise does a tremendous job in wanting you to connect with the characters. When they feel pain you sympathize. When there is a "bad guy" you hope he/she will get what is coming to them.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND BOTH SERIES!
Buy her books today, I guarantee you will love the series as I do.

message 32: by Candace (new)

Final day for DENISE SWANSON

Up and coming releases:

Scumble River series
Murder of a Stacked Librarian
9/3/2013

Dead Between the Lines

message 33: by Candace (new)

DAY 1 JAYNE ORMEROD

10/2011 The Blond Leading The Blond

message 34: by Candace (new)

Day 2 JAYNE ORMEROD

www.jayneormerod.com
She is also on goodreads.com

message 35: by Candace (new)

Day 3 JAYNE ORMEROD

She only has one cozy mystery out currently. She is hoping that a publisher will pick up her Avalon Mystery, Blond on the Beach series.
****Special treat***** The author herself was kind enough to do a interview via email. (see below for interview)

Mini Interview with Jayne Ormerod

#1 Is there any information on a release date for Blond Faith or
Blond Justice?

J.O. I so wish I had some good news on that front. But my books are considered "orphans" because my original publisher Avalon Books got bought out by Amazon. So the mystery arm of Amazon (Thomas & Mercer) hasn't contracted any new books from Avalon authors...yet...and no new publisher is interested in picking up something mid-series and putting a lot of effort into marketing it so that the other company (Amazon) makes more $$ off the first! But I'm now shopping it through some small presses and worst worst worst case, I self-publish these two and try to find a publisher for my new series, the military spouse mysteries (I'm still trying to come up with a catchier series title...)

#2 What genres do you like to read when not writing?

J.O. I read all things mystery, from classics to contemporary, from historical to futuristic. I'm also a huge fan of humorous women's fiction, like Mary Kay Andrews and Sophia Kinsella. And every now and then I force myself to read something "good for me" and I'll pick up something literary. But that's few and far between.

#3 If you could live in any state regardless of the weather, what state and why?

J.O. I have lived in 7 states, and traveled through many more on our 6 cross-country moves. Each has its own "flavor" if you will, and each has things that make it great. Wow, this is a really hard question. I know I have to live somewhere that's green in the summer and a wee bit of snow in the winter. So far, Virginia is suiting my needs just fine.

#4 Where do you see yourself as a writer in 10 years?

J.O. With 10 published books under my belt! My goal is to publish one book a year. I have titles/ideas for at least 6 "Blonds at the Beach" series, and 3 for my military spouses. But ideas don't count...I have to actually write them first! :)

#5 Do you do book signings/meet and greet? If you don't do you plan on it and if so where and when?

J.O. I am always available for a SKYPE book club. I have book club questions posted on my website www.jayneormerod.com I know when the Virginia Is for Mysteries anthology comes out in 2014 we will be doing a lot of signings locally. That's something I will tweet out when the time comes.

#6 What was the inspiration for "The Blond Leading The Blond"?

J.O. Jessica Fletcher with a wee bit of humor. :) It really is that simple.

#7 Do you "base" any of the characters in your book from your personal life?

J.O. I have a lot of friends who see themselves in my characters, but honestly, it's not a conscious thing at all! Some I hadn't even met yet when I wrote the book. I've had many people say that my POV character Ellery "sounds" just like me, and I suppose that's inevitable. I do have people BEG me to write them into a story, but I figure, that's probably a lawsuit waiting to happen. :)

message 36: by Candace (new)

Day 4 JAYNE ORMEROD

Three Little Words 2002

The Tide Also Rises (Chesapeake Crimes 3)2007

The Case of the Stolen Cookies 2009

When We Were Middle Aged and Foolish 2012

Best Friends Help You Move the Bodies 2013

Behind the Blue Door 2013

message 37: by Candace (new)

Day 5 JAYNE ORMEROD

There are 2 protagonists: Ellery and Samantha

Ellery inherited the family house, role of Queen Bee (w/ all the problems that come along with it. She is accused of her Aunt Izzy' s murder

Samantha was Aunt Izzy 's BFF. She knows anything and everything about the history of the town. She prides herself on being a socialite.

Together they try to clear Ellery's name

message 38: by Candace (new)

Day 6 JAYNE ORMEROD

I enjoyed The Blond Leading The Blond very much. This book has mystery as well as plenty of humor. It is a nice change of pace having two protagonists instead of just one. By both women being complete opposites it makes for a good laugh.

message 39: by Candace (new)

FINAL DAY FOR JAYNE ORMEROD

She is trying to find a publisher to con FINAL DAY FOR JAYNE ORMEROD

She is trying to find a publisher to continue her Blonde series, no luck yet. She is starting a new series called (though she may change the name) Military Spouse series. 'Virginia Is for Mysteries" , anthology 2014 tinue her Blonde series, no luck yet. She is starting a new series called (though she may change the name) Military Spouse series. 'Virginia Is for Mysteries" , anthology 2014

message 40: by Candace (new)

Oops typing problems, sorry lol :)

message 41: by Candace (new)

Day 1 TAMAR MYERS

She has 3 series and one non-series

Here are the first titles in those series:

Series

"The Witch Doctor's Wife"

The Den of Antiquity series

"Larceny and Old Lace"

The Pennsylvania Dutch mystery series

"Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth"

Non-series

"Angels, Angels Everywhere"

message 42: by Candace (new)

Day 2 TAMAR MYERS

tamarmyers.com

message 43: by Candace (new)

DAY 3 TAMAR MYERS

HERE ARE THE SERIES SHE WRITES

DEN OF ANTIQUITY SERIES

PENNSYLVANIA-DUTCH MYSTERY SERIES

UNNAMED SERIES

THEN SHE HAS A COLLECTION OF BOOKS THAT ARE A NON-SERIES

message 44: by Stef (new)

Stef | 18 comments Randale, terrific job! I absolutely love your mini-interviews. And please don't Beat yourself up for being a little later than usual with anything - we have seen that you carry things through and we're not paying subscribers, we're greatful for what you provide.
Hugs from Germany!

message 45: by Stef (new)

Stef | 18 comments See what my German Kindle spell checker does? I typed in “Candace“ and out come “Randale“, which means noisy trouble, sometimes violent, as seen around soccer stadiums in Europe... Sorry!

message 46: by Candace (new)

Stef, you make me LOL! :) Thank you so you much for the feedback I appreciate it very much! :)
I am glad you are enjoying yourself in this group!

message 47: by Christina (new)

Christina | 247 comments LOL!!!!! That is so funny Stef!!!

message 48: by Candace (new)

Day 4 TAMAR MYERS

Other series:
The Witch Doctor's Wife 2009
The Headhunter' s Daughter 2011
The Boy Who Stole the Leopard's Spots 2012
The Girl Who Married an Eagle 2013

The Den of Antiquity Mystery series:
Larceny and Old Lace 1996
Gilt by Association 1996
The Ming and I So Faux, So Good 1998
Baroque and Desperate 1999
Estate of Mind 1999
A Penny Urned 2000
Nightmare in Shining Armor 2001
Splendor in the Grass 2002
Tiles and Tribulation 2003
Statue of Limitations 2004
Monet Talks 2005
The Cane Mutiny 2006
Death of a Rug Lord 2008
Poison Ivory 2009
The Glass is Always Greener 2011

Pennsylvania- Dutch Mystery series:
Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth 1995
Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime 1996
No Use Dying Over Spilled Milk 1997
Just Plain Pickled to Death 1997
Between a Wok and a Hard Place 1998
Eat, Drink and Be Wary 1998
Play it Again, Spam 1999
The Hand that Rocks the Ladle 2000
The Crepes of Wrath 2002
Gruel and Unusual Punishment 2003
Custard' s Last Stand 2004
Thou Shall Not Grill 2005
Assault and Pepper 2006
Grape Expectations 2007
As the World Churns 2007
Hell Hath No Curry 2008
Batter off Dead 2009
Butter Safe than Sorry 2009

Non series:
Angels, Angels Everywher 2004
Criminal Appetites (yr ?)
The Dark Side of Heaven

message 49: by Candace (new)

Day 5 TAMAR MYERS

I have only read the Pennsylvania- Dutch mystery series so I can only comment on that.

Pennsylvania- Dutch Mystery Series:
Magdalena Yoder is the protagonist and sleuth. While running her B&B in Pennsylvania- Dutch country, dead bodies seem to fall across her path. She is very whitty and sarcastic. Her sister is a free spirit who left the Mennonite culture to get married. Magdalena was raised Mennonite, and lives in Hernia, PA.

message 50: by Candace (new)

Day 6 TAMAR MYERS

I have only read the Pennsylvania-Dutch Mystery Series:

I have read about 4 books in this series. If a book doesn't have humor I don't like it. This series is fully chalked of humor. I am constantly laughing through each book. I most definitely recommend this series! If you enjoy laughing (and who doesn't) you will like it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10