Christian Mom Reads discussion

General > What are you currently reading?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Makeda (new)

Makeda (makedar02) | 188 comments Mod
What are you currently reading?

I am reading The Perfect Love: Intensely Personal, Overflowing, Never Ending...

and I am also reading our June group book Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No, to Take Control of Your Life

message 3: by Makeda (new)

Ruby wrote: "I'm about to start The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for?"

That's a great read. It's very encouraging and purposeful (obviously, right :) )

I hope you enjoy it

message 4: by Gee (new)

Gee  Dixon (goodreadscomgee_lucdix) | 8 comments I am reading Look into my Eyes by John Elder. A goodread for me because I have an Aspergers son and John is an Aspie as well.

message 5: by Juliana (last edited Sep 04, 2013 11:16AM) (new)

Juliana Lyon | 8 comments I've just started Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis and I've been slowly reading Under His Shadow for a while now. I am a big fan of C.S.Lewis and so far (I'm only on chapter three) this autobiographical work is pretty good. Spurgeon recommended Havergal and except for the first two poems I have been LOVING her work.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (numercies) | 16 comments I'm reading "Meeting God At a Dead End" and "Asperkids"

message 7: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer One of the many books I'm reading at the moment is Sophie's Heart by Lori Wick by Lori Wick. I have never read any of this author's books before and I must say that so far I'm impressed. I'm only up to about page 20 or so so it's still very early days. Has anyone else read any of her books? If so, what did you think of her writing?

message 8: by Makeda (new)

Gee wrote: "I am reading Look into my Eyes by John Elder. A goodread for me because I have an Aspergers son and John is an Aspie as well."

I read the synopsis for this book. It looks like a very interesting book. I hope you enjoy it and receive some helpful information from it as well.

message 9: by Makeda (new)

Juliana wrote: "I've just started Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis and I've been slowly reading Under His Shadow for a while now. I am a big fan of C.S.Lewis and so far (I'm only on chapter three) this autobio..."

I have told myself that I would read all of C.S. Lewis' works. I started, but I need to pick it back up. I'm sure it's a great read...right?!

message 10: by Makeda (new)

Michelle wrote: "I'm reading "Meeting God At a Dead End" and "Asperkids""

Michelle,

What do you think of "Meeting God at a Dead End?" It looks like a really good book.

message 11: by Makeda (new)

Zara wrote: "One of the many books I'm reading at the moment is Sophie's Heart by Lori Wick by Lori Wick. I have never read any of this author's books before and I must say that so far I'm impressed. I'm ..."

I've never read her writings, but I am often impressed when a writer can grab my attention and keep it within the first few pages. I am adding it to my "want to read" list. It looks like a good book. Let us know what you think of it once you are done.

message 12: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer Makeda wrote: "Zara wrote: "One of the many books I'm reading at the moment is Sophie's Heart by Lori Wick by Lori Wick. I have never read any of this author's books before and I must say that so far I'm im..."

Thanks Makeda. I will let you know my thoughts once I finish it. I'm still enjoying it and I'm only up to page 58 or so.

message 13: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Lyon | 8 comments Makeda wrote: I have told myself that I would read all of C.S. Lewis' works. I started, but I need to pick it back up. I'm sure it's a great read...right?!
It is different from anything of his that I've ever read before. I am enjoying it, because Lewis is a fantastic writer, but there are moments when I'm a little shocked. Some things that he glosses right over are a little startling.

message 14: by Makeda (new)

Juliana,

I was reading a book of his. I believe it was called "Mere Christianity." In that book he mentioned some topics and then skimmed over them. I left me thinking that I needed to read the book again to ponder some of the things that he mentioned. So, I think I can understand what you are saying...

message 15: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Lyon | 8 comments This one is very different from Mere Christianity. It surprised me to learn about the atmosphere of boys' schools in England when Lewis was a child.

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (numercies) | 16 comments Makeda, in response to your question, I just started and it has intrigued me. A major trial for me, has recently occurred in my life so it is really timely. I have only read the first few chapters. Well see how it goes...

message 17: by Parvin (new)

Parvin Ngala | 1 comments I am currently reading, actually listening to the audible version of "Calm Parents, Happy Kids". This is probably the upteenth book I am reading on parenting…I struggle and I feel I just want to get encouragement and ideas from books as much as possible. Will share how it is at the end.

message 18: by Makeda (new)

Are you finding that the books are helping?

message 19: by Makeda (last edited Mar 27, 2015 07:09AM) (new)

I am currently in three college courses, so I'm reading those books. However, I have also started reading two other books. One is The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer and the other is Candle in the Darkness (Refiner's Fire, #1) by Lynn Austin . One is my morning read and the other is my nightly read. I must say that I am really enjoying both of them.

message 20: by Rene (new)

Rene Garcia acosta | 2 comments I am currently reading Lioness Arising by Lisa Bevere. Very good book so far!

message 21: by Rene (new)

Rene Garcia acosta | 2 comments Makeda wrote: "I am currently in three college courses, so I'm reading those books. However, I have also started reading two other books. One is The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer and the other is [bookcover..."

The Pursuit Of God is one that's on my to read list!

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2 comments I just finished For All Maternity What They Didn't Tell Me About Marriage, Motherhood, and Having A Baby by Emily Pardy and loved it! Great for a bridal shower gift or a baby shower gift and very funny!

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura Waddell | 1 comments Hello! The book A House Called Askival is written by Merryn Glover, who is a committed Christian and the child of missionaries. It's about missionary life in India, and all the trials and tribulations and joys of being a missionary's child told in a sensitive and complex way. It's very beautifully written. I'm trying to spread the Word.

'The book drips with local colour and nostalgia, and yet the central themes — about love, parental influence, hidden secrets, loyalty, and the importance of faith — produce a gripping storyline.' Church Times

message 24: by Makeda (new)

Sounds like a great book Laura.

& Thanks for sharing what you are currently reading ladies.

message 25: by Gee (new)

Gee  Dixon (goodreadscomgee_lucdix) | 8 comments Where Courage Calls by Janette Oke and Laurel Oke Logan

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (aohmit) | 3 comments Boundaries by Dr Henry Cloud and Dr John Townsend and The 10 Best Decisions Every Parent can Make by Bill and Pam Farrel (2nd time I'm reading it).

Both are amazing... I'm loving both.

message 27: by Gee (new)

Gee  Dixon (goodreadscomgee_lucdix) | 8 comments Murder Freshly Baked Book 3 Vannetta Chapman