Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > need recommendations!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike | 2 comments I'm interested in the fantasy and sci-fi genres, but I'm more interested in some specifics for the romance sub-plot. I absolutely love novels where the main male protagonist falls in love with a exceptionally strong female(strong willed, feisty, etc). Moreover, if there is adult content to the romance subplot - that is great!
I was thinking of reading books such as the Riyria Revelations, Mistborn, and The Night Angel Trilogy but I wanted some recommendations to see if they actually contain what I'm looking for!

message 2: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t have you tried either Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson or Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1) by Elizabeth Vaughan

message 3: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 201 comments Both of my novels fit the theme you are interested in, Mike so please check them out and be sure to let me know what you thought!

I, the Provocateur I, the Provocateur by Vardan Partamyan

The After/Life The After/Life by Vardan Partamyan

message 4: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 9 comments All About Jane may fit your needs...realistic YA fiction set in Flint, 1990s. Raw language and extreme details make it controversial like Catcher in the Rye.

Read prologue at www.carriemattern.com

message 5: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) I've read Mistborn, and certainly there is a romance sub plot, but definitely no adult content. Having said that, it's a great series.

message 6: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Fitzpatrick (l_e_fitzpatrick) Although I hate recommending my own work I've been looking for the link to set up this book for reviewing by this group so I hope you'll forgive me posting it here but it does cover the criteria you are after.

It's a fantasy with a long building romance between the two heroes, there is some adult content. The female in question - Adiah - was incredible independent, very much a free spirit, but is also broken.

This book is part one of a series of three, romance throughout, mixed with adventure and humour too. And best of all you can download it for free from Smashwords:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

I'm really after exposure for this story so feel free to share.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol | 78 comments Have you tried The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher or The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne?

They are both very good series to read. The Dresden files is about a wizard and The Druid chronicles is about the last druid alive in the world.

I have read them all and can honestly say that I was reading one a day as I couldn't put them down.

message 8: by Mike (new)

Mike | 2 comments Still looking for more recommendations! :)

message 9: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 23 comments Mike wrote: "Still looking for more recommendations! :)"

Mike, My second book has some strong female characters although told from the male POV. It's a sci fi dystopian catastrophe so the genre may not appeal

To The Survivors by Philip G. Henley