THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > The elusive Author Dashboard

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.A. (new)

D.A. Metrov (metrov) | 5 comments THIS IS A SUGGESTION FOR IMPROVING OUR GOODREADS EXPERIENCE, but I couldn't find anywhere else to post it: Why is it so difficult to find my "Author Dashboard?" I've found it a few times by accident in the past, but I've just spent 30 minutes clicking everywhere imaginable trying to find my Author Dashboard, still no success. Please make the Author Dashboard easier to navigate to. Every time I need to go to it, I can't find it. Again, in the past, I've only found it by accident. Why not just put it where we can easily see it... like on the drop down menu next to our photo? That would be so awesome. So simple. Such a no-brainer. Is that a programming challenge? Thank you

message 2: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Hornby (goodreadscomuser_jeanettehornby) | 2 comments Hi D.A.
If you go 'Home' you should see the author dashboard to your right.

:) J

message 3: by D.A. (new)

D.A. Metrov (metrov) | 5 comments Ah, I found it by going to "Home." I wonder why the link to "Author Dashboard" only exists on the home page? Once I start navigating around, it vanishes, right? (Unless I remember to go back to the home page.) Good modular design would dictate that the user can get anywhere from anywhere. Maybe that's not possible because of the complexities of the Goodreads site? Anyway, thanks for the tip.

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments D.A. wrote: "Ah, I found it by going to "Home." I wonder why the link to "Author Dashboard" only exists on the home page? Once I start navigating around, it vanishes, right? (Unless I remember to go back to the..."

Good feedback to hear. We'll look to add some more conspicuous links to it (not sure how hard it is to modify the dropdown menu for authors only, but I will look into it).

message 5: by D.A. (new)

D.A. Metrov (metrov) | 5 comments Awesome, I'm sure many will appreciate it. Thanks!

message 6: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie | 61 comments I've been having the same problem. Having now found the Dashboard, I can't remember how to add my new book to it! I have a jpeg of the cover, the ISBN and a forward publishing date, but how do I add it to my existing publications, and why is it so difficult to identify such as basic procedure? Thanks.

message 7: by rivka (new)

rivka | 563 comments Authors follow the same process to add a book as any other user. http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/9-...

message 8: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) I have to agree that this site is not easy to navigate. Although I manage to do most of what I need to do, the next time I have to do the same thing, I've forgotten how because it's so non-intuitive. One thing I'd like is a header that stays in place when you scroll (think LinkedIn).

message 9: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie | 61 comments Thank you Rivka, but should it not be possible to add a new book from one's dashboard?

message 10: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie | 61 comments Rivka, I have just been through the procedure, and was then asked for my views on this book. Surely I am not supposed to comment on my own book? It is very puzzling.

message 11: by rivka (new)

rivka | 563 comments Many author do post something in that space, although probably just as many do not. It will be clearly marked as from the author if you do.

message 12: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie | 61 comments Thanks, Rivka. I've left it blank.

message 13: by Grey (new)

Grey Wolf | 31 comments I added my new book as above, but it did not add it to myself as the author and it does not appear in my list of my books. It was as if I was adding the book to the site for another random guy who had the same name as me? Its much easier to claim your own book on other sites... I spent an hour going back and forth and only getting a headache

message 14: by rivka (new)

rivka | 563 comments Because we have more than one author named Grey Wolf, you are Grey-2space-Wolf. The extra space between your first and last names only shows up on book edit pages and your profile edit page, but it tells the system which books are yours. When adding a book manually, be sure to include the extra space, and the book will go where it belongs. If you forget, post in the Librarians Group and any librarian can fix it for you. I got that one.

message 15: by Grey (new)

Grey Wolf | 31 comments I am??? Ah, I didn't know that! Soomehow I must have done it right for the 5 books that I was able on a previous day to add to my list of my books. Thanks.