quotablebookquotes discussion

The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
This topic is about The Vile Village
A Series of Unfortunate Events > The Vile Village: An Overview

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen, Head of the Secret Police (new) - rated it 4 stars

Colleen Earle (unphilosophize) | 261 comments Mod
thoughts?

message 2: by Trish, IT (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trish (the-bookshelf-at-the-end) | 112 comments Mod
Oh my gosh, I don't even remember writing this because I was literally half asleep when I wrote this and I thought "Did I write anything here last night?" Why yes I did and wow xD

Okay well I really did like this book and I did read it one sitting haha. I thought Lemony Snicket's focus on mob psychology was interesting kind of how he addresses people's obsession with "in" and "out" in Ersatz.

I'm really wondering how the Quagmires will get off Hector's balloon unless it doesn't actually work correctly. I was so disappointed that their notebooks got destroyed and I'm dying with all these cut off sentences and Jacques and Baudelaire connections just please tell us Lemony!

Speaking of Jacques, I fell in love with the name when I read this years ago, but I never said it right and no one corrected me haha... But for some reason I remembered he had a bigger role in this book, but I probably remembered incorrectly because I liked the name and it stuck with me haha.

Okay so WOW sorry about the previous post here I had nearly fallen asleep on top of my AP Calculus homework and I was pretty much a nonsensical zombie...

message 3: by Colleen, Head of the Secret Police (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trish, this is wonderful.

I too enjoyed the discussion of mob psychology in the book. I also found his discussion of the authoritarian society and how uncomfortable it can make people (Hector).

What did you think about Hector?

I can't wait to learn more about Hector and who he really is.

Calculus is fun times.

message 4: by Trish, IT (new) - rated it 3 stars

These books have such mature themes for children--I'm sure they don't understand it on a more complex level like we do reading it now, but I like that it gives a foundation for them to think on. Like, don't be afraid to have your own opinions even when no one else agrees, etc.

To me, Hector was a good friend, but probably not guardian material for the Baudelaires. At this point in their lives, they need a caring person who is dependable, stable, and firm. Hector had the best intentions, but because of the authoritarian society, he's unable to provide the Baudelaires with... Security. Which is what I think they really need most.

I did like Hector though. He's a likeable guy, just sad he couldn't bring himself to fight the power and ran away instead. But I guess if he's happy in his balloon life, then good for him. I wonder if he knows somewhere deep down inside that he *could* be happy on the ground if he wanted to.

My question is, how is that balloon going to last him and the Quagmires? That is some intense planning!

I think the only thing I didn't like about these books is how obvious Olaf and Esmè are, and the newspapers get them wrong all the time. I'm sure this is a point to how people are easily influenced by the media or willing to believe anything. But you'd think at least the Baudelaires would have caught on by now...

Oh, yes. Calculus is my favourite sleep depriver...

message 5: by Colleen, Head of the Secret Police (new) - rated it 4 stars

It really bothered me too. I mean, the villains are normally pretty obvious, but this time they were screamingly so..

I concur with you analysis of Hector. It was really hard to dislike him so I don't, no matter how much I want to.

I think the Baudelaires also need someone who challenges them and who sticks to their convictions. They're having a hard time finding someone like that.

I can't believe that they've gone through 7 guardians in less than a year... That's pretty intense. I mean, they were only in the village for a day. It must be so hard for them.

I don't miss calculus one bit.

message 6: by Trish, IT (new) - rated it 3 stars

Very true. They are intelligent children and need someone who would be compatible with their abilities. A lot of their guardians are lovely people, but aren't exactly the same level or challenging enough for the Baudelaires. As an adult, they should be able to give them guidance and share experiences they don't know, while most of the guardians they've had would have been learning more from the children, which can't be very good for them either.

I really wish they would find an adult who could stick with them for more than one book and be a little more competent. Like maybe the adult goes with them while they're on the run or something. I don't even want to know all the psychological damage this has done to them...

message 7: by Colleen, Head of the Secret Police (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think Uncle Monty was really good for them. He cultivated them so well! Unfortunately, he's dead. (wow, look! It's the plot of the series!)

Yeah, I think a psychologist would have a lot of fun with them (especially sunny after the slippery slope #spoilers). At least they have each other?