Start by marking “The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)

The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events #7)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  101,035 Ratings  ·  2,173 Reviews
Dear Reader,

You have undoubtedly picked up this book by mistake, so please put it down. Nobody in their right mind would read this particular book about the lives of Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire on purpose, because each dismal moment of their stay in the village of V.F.D. has been faithfully and dreadfully recorded in these pages. I can think of no single reason why
Published April 24th 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Vile Village, please sign up.

Annabelle The language is fairly basic (with definitions provided for less-basic words) and the sentence structures are definitely easy for a young child to…moreThe language is fairly basic (with definitions provided for less-basic words) and the sentence structures are definitely easy for a young child to understand, but there are several references and allegories that would probably fly over a young child's head, with pretty cutting social commentary. (less)

Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I didn't like this one as much.

The kids are sent to a vile village to live. It was filled with weirdos and crows. And of course Count Olaf, I'm beginning to think he has a tracking device on them !

And the mystery of the Quagmire Triplets grows!
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_to_kids
Here at the halfway point of the series, the author is finally dropping more hints and clues about what seems to be a rather large conspiracy against the Baudelaire orphans, the Quagmire orphans, and I gather orphans everywhere who have large fortunes to be acquired.

The search for the Quagmire triplets in The Ersatz Elevator ended with a literal red herring, but The Vile Village is almost entirely red herring, as the children are sent to become the wards of a village known only by the mysteriou
Mark Lawrence
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it
The Vile Village is where the whole VFD thing really starts to take off and the original formula of a new guardian followed by Olaaf turning up in a new disguise starts fraying.

The village is quite fun, replete with dozens of vile villagers, hundreds of ridiculous rules, and thousands upon thousands of crows.

The off-beat humour continues with Sunny's one worders and their elaborate translation, and the extreme stupidity of everyone who isn't a Baudelaire.

The penalty for breaking almost any villa
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“There is no way of knowing for sure whether or not you can trust someone, for the simple reason that circumstances change all of the time.”

I don't really have a lot to say about this book. It was ok, there were some cute parts. I like that the book always has some spot-on satire about society and adults especially. This book did push the series along a bit but I'm getting tired of the formula with these books. Orphans go to terrible place, all the adults are horrible human beings, the orphan
Ashley Daviau
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was nice to dive back into this series after taking a little break from it! This book is definitely one of the stranger ones in the series in my eyes. Something about a village adopting children and the crows mixed together was incredibly creepy! But that doesn't mean I enjoyed this book any less, in fact I think it made me enjoy it more. As the series goes on, the books really become more intricate and mature and I find that's particularly prominent in this one!
Kate (GirlReading)
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was bizarre but another fun read! It genuinely had me anxious as times and worried for what was going to happen. I'm enjoying the way the plot is starting to somewhat (very slightly) deviate away from the original formula and new characters, mysteries and objectives are being added. I'm still not entirely sure where this series is heading (although I have my guesses) so I'm still very intrigued!
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books, 2017
The most lackluster, nonsensical and frustrating of the series so far.

Regardless, I love the Baudelaires with all my heart and can't wait to devour the next book!

Nicholas Karpuk
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
If I had to draw a line in the sand with the Snicket books between overly formulaic but funny, and genuinely well put together, I'd put it within the first few chapters of The Vile Village.

There's a few things absent from this read through, most of them positive. He isn't constantly reiterating the three children's skills in a "this is for Violet, this is for Klaus, this is for Sunny" sort of rhythm. There guardian is slightly more relatable, and altogether decent guy who gets severely skittish
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
El mejor hasta ahora sin duda ninguna. POR FIN le pasa a estos niños algo """bueno""".

"For sapphires we are held in here.
Only you can end our fear."

This is definitely my least favorite out of the whole series so far.
It was just okay, nothing exciting happens in here.

I liked at the beginning the idea of the entire village that adopts the kids and all the absurd rules that were created for the habitants.
Then it became pretty boring to be honest. The most exciting part was definitely the "riddles" that were left for the children by their missing friends.
It was fun to build th
Apr 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I am actually enjoying reading this series. I think I liked the first 3 books best but this one was fine. I would love to read another type of book or series from this author sometime.
Anastasia ^^
Αυτά τα βιβλία με κάνουν τόσο εκνευρισμένη στο τέλος... (με την καλή έννοια). Λες "εε δεν γίνεται!", εε και τελικά γίνεται >.<
John Velo
May 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: listenedto

Seventh book already and the plot of this one doesn't really differ much from its predecessors. And I'm getting a bit tired of it... And I am so frustrated about the adult's logic in this world! The same thing happens over and over, yet no one believes the Baudeliere children.

I feel like the readers haven't been given answers to the bigger mysteries of this series. Although, Lemony Snicket is slowly dropping hints and facts of a bigger overall series storyline here, sometimes, I still
This series is starting to improve and I'm liking it even more despite the fact that it is so repeatative. I am now soooooo excited for the TV show coming out next month!!!!!
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maine Caulfield
Exciting ending, very boring beginning.
Drew The Reviewer
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is probably my least favorite in the series so far. Nothing really happened. When stuff did happen, it was connected to a setting and characters that just don't work for this series. I'm sure the TV adaptation will be much better!
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Well, I'm more than halfway through now! And it's pretty crazy how little I actually know about the overarching mystery of the series.

I loved the absurdity of V.F.D., the Elders who wore crow hats, the thousands of pointless rules, burning people at the stake, the constant migration of the crows. Watch as mob mentality seizes the villagers and you find yourself reading bizarre chants like, (view spoiler) Grab your torches and pitchforks, folk
Kat Thomas
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
As a series these books are incredible. The formulaic plot that is repeated in every book satisfies the child who is being read to's expectation of what's going on, right and wrong and the band of simple characters.

Where the books become really clever is the additional bits of plot woven into the anecdotes, dedications and acknowledgments, written for the older reader, whether parents reading aloud or older children.

The humour is clever, beautifully insightful and infinitely quotable. Type Lem
Rebecca McNutt
This series is beginning to get very repetitive, but I do like The Vile Village's imagery and the author's dark wit.
Bruna Miranda
3,5 - Gostando de que as histórias tem ficado mais complexas. Me disseram que no próximo livro, O Hospital Hostil, tudo muda então fiquei lendo ansiosa para seguir em frente. Finalmente parece que as crianças estão evoluindo e acho que no próximo livro a história vai se conectar com algumas informações de Só Perguntas Erradas <3
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The seventh book in this upsetting series. It is yet another tale of how the Baudelaire children are a well placed razor away from death. The scoundrel Count Olaf is up to his old tricks. How he is able to baffle entire crowds of people with his guile, which in this case refers to his uncanny ability to fool adults. Luckily Violet, Klaus and Sunny are sharp children and are using their individual talents to stay alive.

Thanks to the heroic and mysterious efforts of Lemony Snicket it seems that th
Miss Bookiverse
"It takes a village to raise a child"? Gosh, I love that the author takes everything so literally and actually allows a whole village to be the new legal guardian for the Baudelaire orphans.

What's really bugging me is this slow dribble of information. Who was Jaque Snicket? What does Beatrice have to do with everything? I never would've thought there was such a mysterious storyline behind these books, one that weaves through the whole series. I'm so curious about the final solution.
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reread. I remember this being a favourite but not anymore.
Liv (Оља)
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2017
I can't even begin to explain how funny I find the fact that that Esme bitch and Count Olaf are dating :')
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
At A Glance

Young Adult; Mystery
Love Triangle/Insta Love/Obsession?: nope.
Cliff Hanger: eh.

Total: 8

In Dept

Best Part:
The village rules!
Worst Part: A bit slow paced.
Thoughts Had: how many rules?!; you're kidding!; there they are!!!

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: yes

Short Review: easily one of my favorite of this series. these "rules" the vil
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Упорито повтарящата се матрица на писане на тази поредица започва да ми дотяга леко, но в същото време ми е любопитно как ще свърши.
Ако се придържа към мрачната си логика би трябвало накрая всички налични сирачета да измрат, а граф Олаф да гушне златото и сапфирите. Да видим.
Josh BookDragon
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
The overall plot of the series has gotten exponentially better with the last couple books! I hope it keeps up like this.
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood, read-2016
Ooo a change of plot. My new favorite.
First Class Realty Lake Villa Il 1 5 Nov 09, 2017 11:12PM
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3)
  • Terrible Times (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #3)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Dread Mountain (Deltora Quest, #5)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Public Enemies (On The Run, #5)
  • The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)
  • The Edge Chronicles 2: The Winter Knights: Second Book of Quint
  • Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (The Children of the Red King, #3)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Calder Game (Chasing Vermeer, #3)
  • Mermaids Don't Run Track
  • Molly Moon's Hypnotic Time Travel Adventure (Molly Moon, #3)
  • Gilda Joyce: The Ladies of the Lake (Gilda Joyce, #2)
  • The Valley of Adventure (Adventure, #3)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:

For All The Wrong Questions:
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • East Wind: West Wind: The Saga of a Chinese Family (Oriental Novels of Pearl S. Buck Book 8)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
  • The Paris Wife
    $11.99 $2.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“It is true, of course, that there is no way of knowing for sure whether or not you can trust someone, for the simple reason that circumstances change all of the time. You might know someone for several years, for instance, and trust him completely as your friend, but circumstances could change and he could become very hungry, and before you knew it you could be boiling in a soup pot, because there is no way of knowing for sure.” 56 likes
“Normally I don't approve of children staying up late,' he said finally, 'unless they are reading a very good book, seeing a wonderful movie, or attending a dinner party with fascinating guests.” 43 likes