quotablebookquotes discussion

The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
This topic is about The Austere Academy
A Series of Unfortunate Events > The Austere Academy: Chapters 1 - 4

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen, Head of the Secret Police (new) - rated it 5 stars

Colleen Earle (unphilosophize) | 261 comments Mod
Pages 1 - 68

message 2: by Colleen, Head of the Secret Police (new) - rated it 5 stars

If I didn't know better I'd say that Nero is Olaf. What a terrible man.

I'm glad that the Baudelaires have found some friends.

message 3: by Trish, IT (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trish (the-bookshelf-at-the-end) | 112 comments Mod
I still can't get over "cakesniffers" as an insult ahahaha

Why does Mr. Poe think this school is perfect? Oh Mr. Poe... Okay maybe the tombstone thing may be a matter of perspective, but when the motto is "Remember, you will die" I would be reconsidering my options (but then again what other choices does he have with no other schools taking them in).

But what's with all the talk of Nero being the vice principal? Where's the real principal, the person who should have all the power?

There's definitely a more hopeless mood in this book. I'm happy the Baudelaires finally have some friends to break the uniformity of the other books where their only ally would be someone utterly useless. The triplets are so sweet but with such fortune, there's bound to be something awful sevenfold coming their way...

And I just can't stand nero and how he mocks the Baudelaires, it just gets on my nerves can I just smash his violin through his head or something.

I know it's a day late everyone, but any thoughts?

message 4: by Colleen, Head of the Secret Police (new) - rated it 5 stars

cakesniffers is the best insult. Nero annoys me too and I'd also like to know where the actual principle is.

What about those rules?

message 5: by Colleen, Head of the Secret Police (new) - rated it 5 stars

FUN FACT: On page 45 when the Baudelaires meet the Quagmire's, when Isadora says that she likes to write poetry Sunny replies "Sappho!" (Which means "I'd be very pleased to hear a poem of yours"). Interestingly enough, Sappho was an ancient Greek poetess, from the Island of Lesbos,often remarked upon for her many erotic poems! ~history!~

message 6: by Trish, IT (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trish (the-bookshelf-at-the-end) | 112 comments Mod
That is so cool! I don't have the book with me now (library book, darn it), but somewhere, Sunny says "Denada" and shrugs. In Spanish, "de nada" literally means "it's nothing" but translates to "you're welcome." I like that Lemony Snicket throws in little Easter eggs like that for older audiences and is making some sense in Sunny's babble.

message 7: by Colleen, Head of the Secret Police (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes! I was so excited when I found that one! I giggled so much. I think that's part of what makes his writing so brilliant.