Start by marking “The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)

The Austere Academy

(A Series of Unfortunate Events #5)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  121,403 ratings  ·  3,480 reviews
Dear Reader,

If you are looking for a story about cheerful youngsters spending a jolly time at boarding school, look elsewhere. Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire are intelligent and resourceful children, and you might expect that they would do very well at school. Don't. For the Baudelaires, school turns out to be another miserable episode in their unlucky lives.

Truth b
Published August 31st 2000 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published August 8th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Austere Academy, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Adilene thanks for the spoiler
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  121,403 ratings  ·  3,480 reviews

C.G. Drews
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018, childrens
I'm so FOND of this series. *sniffles happily* I was absolutely obsessed with them as a kid and particularly remember this one's audio because it was narrated by Tim Curry and all I can hear is him sqwaking "CAKESNIFFING ORPHANS IN THE ORPHAN SHAKE CAKESNIFFING ORPHANS IN THE ORPHAN SHAKE."

Obviously my brain retains only the best and most useful things.

Anyway. This was a thoroughly great reread and perhaps one of the worst tortures the Baudelaire had to go through is Nero's horrific viol/>.
Kai
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
“Friends can make you feel that the world is smaller and less sneaky than it really is, because you know people who have similar experiences.”

This was better than The Miserable Mill, mostly because of the Quagmire siblings.
This doesn't change the fact that it's one of the most tiring series ever. It is comical how depressing these books are, but a little change here and there wouldn't hurt. On one hand I really want to finish this series, on the other I really don't want to read about Olaf tricking
Mischenko
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Baudelaires have been whisked away from Count Olaf once again, this time to a boarding school called Prufrock Preparatory School. Principal Nero has assured them that Count Olaf will never find them because of his sophisticated computer system. Of course, his guarantee becomes questionable once the children realize that he’s just another adult that can’t be trusted. All he seems to care about is playing his violin, and horribly I might add! The orphans have been housed in a fungus dripping, ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved this book because the kids are taken to a boarding school where they actually make friends! They meet The Quagmire Triplets and they all hit it off so good until Count Olaf messes things up again !!
Mark Lawrence
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Another decent read with Celyn. It seems that The Miserable Mill may have been the low-point of the series as this volume is an improvement. The formula is applied once more, but with a slight variation in that the Baudelaires find friends of their own age and this alliance faces Count Olaaf with predictably grim consequences.

What steps this up from the previous book is a return to the established level of surreal, i.e. marked but not extreme. In The Miserable Mill we had Sunny fight
☽¸¸.I am¸¸.•*¨ The ¸¸.•*¨*Phoenix¨*•♫♪ ☾
For Beatrice-
You will always be in my heart,
in my mind,
and in your grave.

This book may not be the most interesting of the five I read so far plot-wise, but man was it funny! I was actually laughing out loud at some point, and really isn't the humour the best thing about this whole series?

I also liked the setting and the new characters... there really haven't been other young characters in the series apart from the protagonists, and it was ni
emma
AND SO IT BEGINS.

Yes, technically this is the fifth book in the series, but to me, it is the very first.

This is the book when I really start to love this series, which, in case you are new to my reviews or have been otherwise purposefully ignoring my Snicket-related screeching, is my favorite in the world.

This book introduces V.F.D., my favorite combination of three letters in the universe. Over such fan favorites as "eat" and "bye." This book also introduces the Quagm
Ruby Granger
Apr 04, 2018 added it
Shelves: bullying
I decided to re-read this before watching the new tv adaptation on Netflix. This was by far my favourite book in the series and so it was beautifully nostalgic to return to it...
Lemony Snicket is surely one of the greatest children's writers of our time.

What was your favourite book in the 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' library?
Vanz
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
4.4

The best ASOUE book I've read so far. I love how the story is starting to have a bit of depth in it. For instance, we were introduced to the Quagmire twins (supposed to be triplets) who were also orphans whose parents died in a fire along with their third sibling. Vice Principal Nero was also very despicable, as well as the cheeky Carmelita Spats. Basically, the misfortunes of the Baudelaires are getting worse in every book. The vocabulary was excellent, it has characters that could potentiall
Jason Koivu
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Oh, oh! This is the one where the orphans get thrown into a difficult situation and are overseen by a caretaker who just doesn't care, allowing the evil Count Olaf to get at them...like deja vu all over again.

In The Austere Academy the Baudelaire kids end up at a school, which should be good news, because they love the learning, but of course it's not good. It's never good.

I stopped reading the series for a good long while at this point. Although the quality of this one is sligh
Kat Thomas
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
As a series these books are incredible. The formulaic plot that is repeated in every book satisfies the child who is being read to's expectation of what's going on, right and wrong and the band of simple characters.

Where the books become really clever is the additional bits of plot woven into the anecdotes, dedications and acknowledgments, written for the older reader, whether parents reading aloud or older children.

The humour is clever, beautifully insightful and infinitely quotable. Type Lem
Alex
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, 2018
I feel like I keep repeating myself about the series, so I will keep this very short. The Austere Academy is about the Baudelaires attending a boarding school. Of course, it is awful and Count Olaf finds them, again. I assume this will be a repeated sequence of events through out the whole series, but there is a change in the plot that will make the series more exciting. Maybe, this cat and mouse game will cease to exist, and the Baudelaires find happiness! It is nice that the children did find momenta ...more
Ashley Daviau
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are so addictive, I'm totally absorbed in the Baudelaire's world and I'm absolutely loving it! Despite these books being totally depressing and grim, I just can't get enough of them! I especially enjoyed this book because it introduces the Quagmires and V.F.D. which adds a whole new aspect to the series. And I still can't get over how ridiculously blind the adults in this series are, it's quite hilarious actually! I've said it in a review for one of the previous books in the series b ...more
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Quote from Lemony Snicket-"a good night's sleep helps you perform well in school, and so if you are a student you should always get a good night's sleep unless you have come to the good part of your book, and then you should stay up all night and let your work fall to the wayside, and flunk" lmao
Nat
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the celery part 😂
Best one so far
Liam
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not surprised I was so addicted to these books when I was younger, they're super addictive! When season 1 of the Netflix show ended where it did I literally had to reread this because I can't wait much longer for the next season!!

Feel like this book's plot is quite simple compared to the others and not a great deal happens, but Count Olaf's wicked plan still hit me hard. I found myself getting pretty emotional at times because we get to see the Baudelaire's happy with their new f
Alaina
That cliffhanger though...

The Austere Academy is the firth installment of A Series of Unfortunate Events series. I really enjoyed this one and I think it might be my favorite so far. In this, you are still following the crazy adventure that the Baudelaire children are on. Violet, Klaus, and Sunny are now attention a boarding school where they still end up running into Count Olaf in disguise.

Now, of course, I complain about the adults in these books but today I'm going to switch it up. One character, c/>The
Lauren
This is possibly one of my favorite books in the series. It was kind of different. I liked the new setting and the new characters. Also, it was quite mysterious. Can't wait to start the next book!
Bea
3 stars!

I enjoyed this one more than the previous one. It was better than ‘The Miserable Mill’ and much better than the initial books in the series. Will definitely carry on with the books to see what’ll ultimately happen to Baudelaire children!
Kelli
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, childrens
I’m over these but the kids still like them.
Kimberley doruyter
you would think a grown man would get tired of being bested by 3 children.
Tana △⃒⃘ ⚯͛ Cozyreadings
Oooeeeh a new plotpoint... what/who is this VFD?
Kate (GirlReading)
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75* this was a really fun read! I definitely enjoyed it more than book four, it didn't feel quite so dreary and I loved the fact that the siblings finally have someone on their side! It was nice that the plot wasn't quite so similar as the previous few books and I'm excited to see how it continues on from here, as it feels as though this is the first book in the series so far to have left off on a lightly less conclusive cliff hanger!!
Richard Cardenas
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS!

A little better than The Miserable Mill but it did have some chunky boring bits that really could've been scrapped. I did like that there was this little mystery thrown in near the end of the book that intrigues the hell out of me and now Count Olaf has kidnapped the Quagmire triplets and will be using them for his insane fuckery filled operations I presume. Those two things I'm excited to see develop in book 6 which I will be starting soon. Carmelita Splats thooooooooooooooo! someo
Irene△⃒⃘➰
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
3.8/5

It's school time for the Baudelaires!
But of course this is no normal school for them lol

The thing that I liked the most in this book is that finally these children interact with other kids and have relationships with them.
We can see how they approach people of their age and how they interact with them.

I liked that the plot for this book is completely connected to the previous one.
You know, usually once Count Olaf is discovered the kids get passed to anothe
Valentina
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Memento Mori. Remember you will die.

Another pleasant chapter disentangling the Baudelaire orphans' misfortunes.
In this episode, they befriend the Quagmire triplets who will help them defeating Count Olaf.
We finally start having more action and some clue about the big scheme, hinge point of the series.

Five down, eight to go. Next!

description
Elaina
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think I did like this book more than some of the others in this series...Of course, I was still irritated by some of the same things that happened in previous books...(Just so you know, a lot of these basically have the same plot lol :P, but they are pretty fast reads to me so I figured I might as well finish the series lol) But I'm glad the Baudelaire children at least have some friends in this one that help them with Count Olaf's evil schemes.
Paul E. Morph
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Again, our augural author apprises us of the Baudelaire anklebiters' agonising (mis)adventures; this time in appalling academia. Allies are attained but, alas, almost at once abhorrently abducted! Can their atrocious antagonist ever be annihilated? Aaargh!
Julie
I really do love Lemony Snicket. Reading this just brought up so many feelings from childhood. Real review to come eventually.
Tisha
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The starting was a bit less depressing from the other books of the series as the Baudelaires got to meet the Quagmires. But if you have read the other book of this series, you already know that nothing good can happen to the Baudelaires! Yeah, the unfortunate event continues....
I wanted to stop here for now, but the little V F D twist has already got me! Now I must read the next book!

P.S. I hate Mr. Poe more than Count Olaf! ফালতু লোক একটা! :|
The Neverlanders: The Austere Academy - Goodreads Discussion 2 20 Mar 24, 2015 01:41PM
The Neverlanders: The Austere Academy - Voxer Discussion 1 11 Feb 02, 2015 05:58AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Speak
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Dial-a-Ghost
  • The School Story
  • Ghosts Don't Eat Potato Chips (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids #5)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • The Ironwood Tree
  • The Edge Chronicles 5: Stormchaser: Second Book of Twig
  • Reach For The Stars (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #3)
  • Anastasia's Chosen Career (Anastasia Krupnik, #7)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy (Sammy Keyes, #6)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All T

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)
“Assumptions are dangerous things to make, and like all dangerous things to make -- bombs, for instance, or strawberry shortcake -- if you make even the tiniest mistake you can find yourself in terrible trouble. Making assumptions simply means believing things are a certain way with little or no evidence that shows you are correct, and you can see at once how this can lead to terrible trouble. For instance, one morning you might wake up and make the assumption that your bed was in the same place that it always was, even though you would have no real evidence that this was so. But when you got out of your bed, you might discover that it had floated out to sea, and now you would be in terrible trouble all because of the incorrect assumption that you'd made. You can see that it is better not to make too many assumptions, particularly in the morning.” 1019 likes
“There is no worse sound in the world than someone who cannot play the violin but insists on doing so anyway.” 603 likes