Where's George? Readers discussion

Monthly Updates > What Are You Reading June 2013

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn | 30 comments Hopefully everyone is engrossed in a great book as this thread is a bit late!
I'm starting June out with The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck , Whiskey Beach by Nora Roberts and Birdsong A Novel of Love and War by Sebastian Faulks .
I've only a few pages left on the Steinbeck so will start the fluff book as a palate cleanser before I start Birdsong. :o)

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill | 192 comments I'm just about halfway through The Blackwater Lightship by Colm Tóibín and expect to finish it off in a few days.

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill | 192 comments I rarely recommend a book to everyone as we all have different taste and enjoy different genres. But I can't imagine anyone NOT liking Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks By far it is one of the most creative stories I've read.

And now I'm almost at a loss because I sort of feel whatever I read next will be a letdown. I'm going to take a day or two off from reading beacuse of that

message 4: by Luke (new)

Luke (lbrown) | 5 comments I am reading a very fine book, The End of Your Life Book Club, as well as a good apologetics book, What They Need to Know by Klemet Preus

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 372 comments Mod
I jsut finished reading Banished: Surviving My Yeas in the Westboro Baptist Church by Lauren Drain. I live in Topeka, KS and see the Phelps out protesting on a regular basis. This book was interesting to see what goes on inside the "church." I've read two books in a row about hate so I need to find some happier reading.

message 6: by Ronald (new)

Ronald | 159 comments Mod
Just started reading One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich my parents keep bugging me to read this set of books after they bought all the books in the series.

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill | 192 comments Ronald wrote: "Just started reading One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich my parents keep bugging me to read this set of books after they bought all the books in the series."

I also had friends recommend the series; they do take place in NJ and I was semifamiliar with some of the towns mentioned so I gave them a shot. But I stopped after the third book, it wasn't really my thing.

message 8: by Ronald (new)

Bill wrote: I also had friends recommend the series; they do take place in NJ and I was semifamiliar with some of the towns mentioned so I gave them a shot. But I stopped after the third book, it wasn't really my thing. i>

I had also avoided these books because they were often advertised as light summer poolside reading. So I figured not worth my time. But at 50 pages into the book and the story is really funny and entertaining. Well see if I can make it through all 19 books though.

message 9: by Melanie (new)

I find the Stephanie Plum series to be an enjoyable light read. I can't tell you what happens in each book, but I'm waiting on #20 to come out.

message 10: by Ronald (new)

Melanie wrote: "I find the Stephanie Plum series to be an enjoyable light read. I can't tell you what happens in each book, but I'm waiting on #20 to come out."

My parents won an ebay auction for 43 Janet Evanovich books so this might take a while. I think we have up to 18 in the main set of books (all paperbacks).

message 11: by Melanie (new)

I think 19 came out last fall and 20 is getting ready to be released soon.

Most people discover the series becomes very similar. I can't believe the people that know everything that happened in each book. I find they are a nice escape.