The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

The Elite (The Selection, #2)
This topic is about The Elite
Group Book Of The Month > The Elite - June BOTM Discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Booknut, Head Moderator (last edited Feb 01, 2014 01:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4592 comments Mod
Discuss the book here!

The question to think about is:

What characteristic or quality does America possess that would make her the perfect choice, as well as future co-ruler?

Please feel free to extend the discussion beyond the questions (which are there as a topic-starter!) and simply talk about the book as well :D

Victoria Ivia (vicivia) | 8 comments I think she has a kind of strength that differentiates it from the others, for it to be a lower caste.
Somehow, the story of Selection, in general reminds me of the story of the Bible ester (:

message 3: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Victoria wrote: "I think she has a kind of strength that differentiates it from the others, for it to be a lower caste.
Somehow, the story of Selection, in general reminds me of the story of the Bible ester (:"

Oh my gosh, it is alot like Esther's story isn't it? I just made the connection when you mentioned it, and I have to agree that quite like the Biblical figure, America has a silent kind of strength that she's gained through her experiences (as well as it being apart of who she is).

But what I find interesting to watch is the evolution of this strength in the second book - how it becomes less silent, and you can see it more in her actions and words as she becomes more sure of herself, who she is and what she wants to stand for. Especially in one of the ending scenes where she talks with the king. America has a iron backbone and won't break!

Victoria Ivia (vicivia) | 8 comments I also had not noticed the similarity,
was when I told the synopsis of the book to my mother that she immediately noticed the similarity xD

message 5: by Cam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cam Garza (camgarza) | 137 comments I thought in this book America was being kinda whiny, not with her actions with the king or with her friend but with her indecision for Maxon, when she'd go to Aspen for comfort, etc, etc. In this book, I saw Maxon's backbone, sure, in the first book America was full of sass but in this book I saw a lot more from Maxon, how he stood up to his dad, his quiet determination for change, and things like that, don't you think?

Elaney | 60 comments Definitely. This book actually made me unsure about her being a good ruler.

message 7: by Booknut, Head Moderator (last edited Jul 10, 2013 06:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hmm - @RitaSkeeter I have to agree on the impulsiveness issue! I think she'd have a lot to give if she became part of the monarchy, but I worry about her tendency to make rash decisions sometimes.

♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties (NotJustAnyOrdinaryGirl) | 200 comments Please, please, pleeeeeaaaaaassssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeee say we shall be reading The One this year as a BOTM???

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEEEEEEEAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

It'll give me an exuse to fangirl over the book - y'know... I assuming the ending is good...

message 9: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

It'll definitely be on the BOTM poll - probably for June, seeing that it comes out in May :)

♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties (NotJustAnyOrdinaryGirl) | 200 comments YES! YES! YES! YES! YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I now know what I shall be voting on for June. :)

Now all I have to do is make those incredibly harrrrd decisions for the months from now until June...