The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Thrillers of any Kind > Has anybody read Jeff Lindsay's Dexter series?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Rubin (carrierubin) I love the TV series 'Dexter.' I buy the previous season's DVD as soon as it's out and 'binge' watch it. I've been tempted to start reading the books on the same character by Jeff Lindsay, but I always opt not to, determined they won't be as good as the show. Has anybody read them? I'd be interested in thoughts comparing the two and whether the books are worth my time or not. I think the first in the series is Darkly Dreaming Dexter

message 2: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Cardenas (aecardenas) | 53 comments This is one of the rare cases where the book is not nearly as good as the TV series. The series is absolutely incredible, well-acted, suspenseful, sardonic and darkly funny, and Michael C. Hall's performance is a revelation.

The idea of Dexter is brilliant (A serial killer who kills only killers) and it's easy to see how it became the seed to a really great, well-written, and brilliantly acted TV series. And it was a real disappointment to find the book it was based upon to be so sloppily written (scenes are rushed through, plot lines are convulted, and characters are thinly drawn).

I did not bother reading the subsequent novels in the series, but I heard through the grapevine that in one of the novels that the author actually tried to "explain" Dexter's psychosis in something like "supernatural terms" (shudder), much in the same way George Lucas attempted to explain The Force by inventing "midichlorians" (barf).

Anyway, I recommend you stay with the TV series. It's excellent! One of the best things on TV in a long time.

message 3: by Marie-Jo (new)

Marie-Jo Fortis | 118 comments I, too, am a Dexter (the series) fan!

message 4: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Rubin (carrierubin) @Anthony Thanks so much for the input. Sounds like I've been wise to avoid the books so far. I agree--the TV show is brilliant. The writers really know what they're doing with that one.

message 5: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments i bought the 1st two books but so far i've avoided reading them i've just had other books i fancied reading more

message 6: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 144 comments I really liked the first two seasons of Dexter, and I'm now in the middle of Season 4, but I haven't read the book(s) and I have to admit, I'm losing interest at this point. Someone who's seen the whole series, does it get better again? My favorite character (view spoiler)

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) I've watched every season of Dexter - loved all of them. Haven't read the books. Not sure it would be worth it ?

message 8: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Rubin (carrierubin) K.A. wrote: "Someone who's seen the whole series, does it get better again?"

I think it does. It went through a bit of a low period, but I'm loving season 7 so far. I try not to read TV reviews when the new season starts, because I'm a season behind, and I don't want a spoiler!

message 9: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Cardenas (aecardenas) | 53 comments K.A. wrote: "I really liked the first two seasons of Dexter, and I'm now in the middle of Season 4, but I haven't read the book(s) and I have to admit, I'm losing interest at this point. Someone who's seen the ..."

This is one of those series where I'm thinking at the end of one season..."Okay, they can't get better than that. How is he going to deal with such-and-such...how are they going to reconcile this-or-that...?" and then I watch the next seasons, I'm like "OH, my god...!"

The series doesn't just get better, it evolves---or rather, Dexter himself evolves--and so the series takes on new dimensions and goes into some very strange, very dark places.

Go with the series and see where it takes you, is my advice. So far, I've been enjoying the ride.

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 7924 comments Marie-jo wrote: "I, too, am a Dexter (the series) fan!"

me too!

message 11: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 144 comments Started the first book in the series to see what it's like. I'm almost at the end of Season 5 on Netflix.

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Anthony wrote: "This is one of the rare cases where the book is not nearly as good as the TV series."

I couldn't agree with you more! My husband and I started watching the show on Netflix and LOVED it. We actually got impatient waiting for the DVDs in the mail and went out and bought the seasons.

When we ran out of shows, I decided to give the books a try. I got through the first one and it was...ok. But I couldn't get past the first couple pages of the second one. The writing is too much. The author went so overboard with all the descriptions that I lost focus and had to keep rereading until I eventually gave up.

I would definitely recommend sticking with the show.

message 13: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1347 comments I'm interested in how this series will end. Will Dexter end up dead, in prison, on a tropical island? Will Deb end up in prison, going back to being a cop, committing suicide - or maybe homicide? This should be interesting.

message 14: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 144 comments I hope he commits suicide. He's a killer of serial killers, it makes ultimate sense.

I just started reading the first book and am enjoying it so far...

message 15: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Rubin (carrierubin) K.A. wrote: "I hope he commits suicide. He's a killer of serial killers, it makes ultimate sense."

I suppose that would be the ultimate poetic justice, but I'd be sad if he did. How messed up is it that I'm rooting for a serial killer?! Guess that's the sign of good writers (I'm referring to the TV show as I haven't read the books).

message 16: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 144 comments Well, how messed up is it that I'm rooting for someone to commit suicide?! We're apparently just two different angles of the messed-up polygon...

message 17: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Rubin (carrierubin) K.A. wrote: "Well, how messed up is it that I'm rooting for someone to commit suicide?! We're apparently just two different angles of the messed-up polygon..."

Haha, yes, I think so.

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 674 comments I can't comment on the TV series as I haven't watched any of it, but have to say I couldn't get through the first book. Probably my background as a police dispatcher and wife of a police officer, but I simply could not wrap my mind around a serial killer as a police officer comfortably at all.

message 19: by Alison (new)

Alison Minister | 1 comments I've read all but the last one.
The first book is very similar to series one, however the other books are totally different to the series.
I loved dexter the tv show too, and it's very difficult to try and comprehend how the characters completely differing from the tv characters.
For example Batista is a forensic guy and hasn't a huge part in the books. Also Harrison Dexters son, is a girl.
Some of the differences like I mention above are small but others aren't ( I won't give away any spoilers) but I prefer the tv show to the books. Which I have to say, is the first time I've preferred tv or film adaptation to the book.
I think if I'd have read the books without watching the show then I have enjoyed them but I wouldn't say they were outstanding in any way.

message 20: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Rubin (carrierubin) Alison wrote: "I loved dexter the tv show too, and it's very difficult to try and comprehend how the characters completely differing from the tv characters."

I think that's why I've steered away from the books. The characters from the TV show are so ingrained in my mind, it would be hard to shift them to new ones.

message 21: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 144 comments Chapter 7, still enjoying the book. Yes, I'm imagining the characters looking and sounding like their TV versions, but it doesn't seem to be interfering with anything for me. As far as suspending disbelief, I'm an LEO and not having a problem there, either. We'll see how things go as I get further into the book, though...

message 22: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 144 comments Finished it. Liked it, about as well as the series. Of course, I'm not a huge TV person - I'll probably continue with the books at this point, though.

message 23: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (undertowsoul) | 2 comments I've read all of the books to date as well as seen all of the seasons so far. I have to say, I usually like books much more than a TV show or movie but I think the actor, Michael C. Hall, who plays Dexter really brings the character to life for me. The books are great for the first few but I feel like he's had to push them out faster because of the series and the last couple haven't been as good. I do like that the book and the TV show go in different directions though so I feel like I'm getting extra Dexter time. Ha ha!

message 24: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1347 comments K.A., I think you have something there. Dexter killing himself would wrap things up - not nicely - but psychologically neatly.

message 25: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 144 comments I just finished the second book - didn't like it as well as I liked the first one. Bummer. I'll probably give the third one a go anyway.

Sabrina Vonhoegen (infaerieor) I really really love Dexter - the tv series! I'm far behind though, just finished season 6....I recently tried reading the first book, as someone recomended it to me. Oh it was such a let down. Put it away after abut 100 pages in. One of the few books I would never recomend to anyone.

message 27: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 144 comments I'm at the same spot in the TV series as you are, Sabrina - didn't care for Season 6 much, I must say. But I did like the first book, although not the second so much. Willing to give the rest a try.

message 28: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Vogeler (rlvogeler) | 1 comments I really like Dexter's show, I mean that is how I got into the books, the books are different (none of them actually match the story except the first book and the first season).

Personally, after reading all six books I wish the show was a little more like them. I know that is not the popular reaction for fans of the show, but the books held me better. Season 1 and 4 were Dexter's best, the 2nd one was okay. Did not like season 3 and 6 at all.

message 29: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 144 comments I'm now most of the way through Season 7 and just going through the motions. Funny, at first I didn't like the Deb character, and now she's the only one I care about anymore...

I've only read two of the books, but I'll probably go through the rest at some point.

message 30: by Daniel (last edited Aug 23, 2013 09:57AM) (new)

Daniel (diaze) | 1018 comments I've read two of the books, which were okay but nothing spectacular, IMO. The series has been hit and miss for me, mostly miss the last 2-3 seasons.

I much prefer the Hannibal series. By a long, long shot.

Hannibal's "dark passenger" can kick Dexter's "dark passenger's" ass any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

message 31: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Martin | 27 comments I read the first three, I think... it was either that or the first four. Anyway, loved the first two (three?) and then could not hang with the turn the next one took, involving the supernatural. And I like supernatural stuff, but it's like apples and oranges, you know? The brilliance of the Dexter series lay in its unique psychological portrayal of Dexter. It needed no extra bells or whistles, as far as I'm concerned.

message 32: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (diaze) | 1018 comments I agree. The novelty had worm off after the first two. The combination of aloofness and supernatural didn't play well for me.

message 33: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 144 comments I was planning to go on to the third book, but supernatural? No thanks. What's with that?

message 34: by Denise (new)

Denise Berndt (poriomaniacs) I've read the first three so far and loved them. Really looking forward to attending a reading by Jeff Lindsay in November.

message 35: by Lori (new)

Lori King (lbking94) | 0 comments I actually enjoyed the books. I loved being inside of Dexter's head, especially the times he is reminding himself to show human emotion. Or to be appalled on the technique of the serial killer, while inside he is totally admiring the work.

message 36: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Powell | 101 comments I read the first two and enjoyed them a lot. But I was already a fan of the TV series and I don't know how much that has influenced me. I want to give book #3 a try and am interested to see how the change in direction works.

message 37: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) | 374 comments I absolutely loved the show, but do not like the books. The books do not have the charm of the TV series. But, I have heard that is why people do not like the TV series. I also have a feeling it depends on which you have seen first.

message 38: by Izzy (new)

Izzy Holmes | 28 comments I read the books first and loved the first 2 books then felt they lost their way the first one such a surprising book as I hadn't read the blurb about it. I never really warmed to the tv version of Dexter maybe it depends on what version to start with.

message 39: by Chelsie (new)

Chelsie (chelzlou) | 68 comments I have all of them- however I have not read them yet because I was addicted to the show which just ended it's last season last year. The how was amazing and I want to give it time before I jump into the books- although I am looking forward to them- books are always better than the shows/movies I think.

message 40: by Red (new)

Red Heaven The first book is the only one I read, and it's utter hogwash. Dexter comes across as a kind of American fop. His ability to track down the bad guy is some kind of intuition - there's no real detection. I guess that's a precursor to the later supernatural themes.

If you came to the books expecting the Dexter of the TV show, forget it. He's a much more developed and likeable character in the TV show. The difference in quality between the two is night and day. In fact, I seriously question how such an awful, inconsequential book got published in the first place.

message 41: by Marian (new)

Marian I have only read 1 of these books..there ok.Love the TV show instead.

message 42: by Alex (new)

Alex Dolan (alexdolan) I've read one for the same curiosity. It's good. The main character actually is a lot more charismatic, and is funnier, than the Michael C Hall version. The tone isn't as dark, and it's a little more playful. It's worth reading just to compare the book versus the series.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Darkly Dreaming Dexter (other topics)