Summer of Jest discussion

Reading Goal #2 (June 9) - up to p. 93: Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Davy (new)

Davy (davidfung) | 15 comments Mod
Full disclosure, I'm behind, but wanted to create this topic as a placeholder to get people talking. =)

message 2: by Marco (new)

Marco V (madrush) | 2 comments Mod
I hope you catch up, dude! It would be great to have more discussion here. I LOVE the Facebook group, but it's crazy-making to keep up with. I think we need an oasis of categories, topics, and threads ;)

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenina77) | 32 comments Mod
Infinite Jest is not so "infinite" for me ... my copy is due back at the library today and I can't renew it because someone else has a hold on it. [Anyone here? ;-) ] I do have an ebook version but that's not nearly as satisfying. But I will soldier on.

message 4: by Dallas (new)

Dallas (damedallas) | 3 comments Thanks! That helps a lot actually!

Alan wrote: "closest endnote to page 93 is #42. For those following in e-readers and such, hope that helps."

message 5: by Jenny (Reading Envy) (last edited Jun 07, 2013 10:01PM) (new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 8 comments As has been discussed some in Facebook, I think the most compelling part of this second reading goal is the description of depression and attempts at suicide, pages 72 or so in my copy. Illuminating, realistic, heartbreaking. Then on page 84, Mario is thinking about the difference between tennis and suicide. We've moved from a story about events to a deeper narrative, and this was a move I appreciated. I can invest more into this kind of novel.

Also, WHAT WAS ON THE FILM at the attache's house? Does this story have any bearing on the others? Why was it introduced? Is everyone dead? Argh!

message 6: by Alik (new)

Alik (afuchs) | 4 comments Jenny, every story here stands in multiple relations to others. The story of the attaché is VERY important.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 8 comments I'm just glad it comes back because it dropped off so abruptly without explanation!

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 6 comments Karen wrote: "Infinite Jest is not so "infinite" for me ... my copy is due back at the library today and I can't renew it because someone else has a hold on it. [Anyone here? ;-) ] I do have an ebook version bu..."

Karen, why do you say that the ebook version is not nearly as satisfying? I find my ebook version quite handy for bookmarking and flipping back and forth to the footnotes. Although, it would have been more convenient if he had put the footnotes at the bottom of the pages!

message 9: by Karen (new)

Heidi wrote: Karen, why do you say that the ebook version is not nearly as satisfying? I find my ebook version quite handy for bookmarking and flipping back and forth to the footnotes. Although, it would have been more convenient if he had put the footnotes at the bottom of the pages!

It's mostly the footnotes that pose a problem for the ereader version, it's just not as easy flipping back and forth on my Kobo copy. But I will say that it's a lot easier holding up the Kobo compared to the 1000+ page physical copy!

Generally, though, while I love the convenience of ebooks, esp. for travelling ... given the choice I still prefer the aesthetics of a physical book. I'm just old-school I guess.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Jenny wrote: "As has been discussed some in Facebook, I think the most compelling part of this second reading goal is the description of depression and attempts at suicide, pages 72 or so in my copy. Illuminati..."

I agree, Jenny, this was one of the most powerful scenes thus far. Judging from what I know about the themes of the book -- as well as the life (and death) of the author -- I think this chapter is an elemental story that could easily stand on its own.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (noporunner68) Reference the e-book vs physical copy discussion, I read the paperback during Infinite Summer in 2009. My husband is now reading the paperback and I am reading the Kindle version for Summer of Jest. What I enjoy about the Kindle version is that I can click (in my e-reader) or touch the footnote (in my Kindle Fire) and it goes right to the footnote. Click on the number in the footnote and, voila, I'm back to the text. Plus the built-in dictionary has been a huge boon for me. I think I missed a lot of vocabulary the first time through reading the book.

But I do think flipping back and forth through the physical copy is likely the experience that DFW wanted us to have, or envisioned us readers having. It would have been interesting to hear what his thoughts would have been on e-readers and IJ. :(

message 12: by Chiles (new)

Chiles | 1 comments Heidi wrote: "Karen, why do you say that the ebook version is not nearly as satisfying? I find my ebook version quite handy for bookmarking and flipping back and forth to the footnotes. Although, it would have been more convenient if he had put the footnotes at the bottom of the pages!"

an electronic version, particularly the iphone app w/c i've myself tried & that allows you to flip back & forth between notes & main text (other ebook formats, i understand, not so much), is no doubt more convenient, but certainly not as satisfying, being, i believe, somewhat contra to the intention behind the design of the text, w/c forces you to engage with the book as a physical object. if ever a book justified its existence as a physical, i.e. paper, object, it's this one. not to dis anyone who prefers one way over the other, i tend to think if you're not reading the printed book, you're not getting the full IJ experience.

message 13: by mark (new)

mark (mejabbour) | 1 comments I'd just encourage y'all to jump in/on to the Facebook discussion, if at all possible. It's lively, expansive, spontaneous, and there is a great Summary post by Colbert Root @ the end of each scheduled reading block. If he can keep that up - that'll be amazing!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 8 comments And someone else made it seem like we should discuss here to limit spoilers in Facebook. ;)

message 15: by Davy (new)

Davy (davidfung) | 15 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "And someone else made it seem like we should discuss here to limit spoilers in Facebook. ;)"

That's me, bc I think there's lots of good discoveries of characters linking together and since the Facebook group isn't structured, I was trying to promote section based discussion and questions here.

message 16: by scott (new)

scott (scottbdz) | 15 comments late to the party, but am trying to catch up; I am at page 91.

"You seek to vanquish and transcend the limited self who limits make the game possible in the first place. It is tragic and sad and chaotic and lovely. All life is the same, as citizens of the human State: the animating limits are within, to be killed and mournded, over and over again."

Great lines...