Mythic Fiction discussion

Name Your Favorite Myth-Folklore Monsters

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gene (new)

Gene Phillips | 18 comments I'd like to see what people come up with for the most disgusting and/or creepy creatures to come out of traditional myth and folklore.

I'll lead off with that old Irish favorite, the Banshee.

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 4 comments Russian - Baba Yaga

message 3: by Kevis (last edited Jun 15, 2013 08:02AM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 6 comments The Giants from Norse Mythology. Surtr and Ymir are the stuff of nightmares.

message 4: by Duntay (new)

Duntay | 1 comments The Yule Cat, the terrifying Icelandic Christmas monster.

message 5: by Viv (new)

Viv (vivsshelf) | 1 comments The Aswang, the half vampire half wereworf from the Philippines

message 6: by Gigi (new)

Gigi Anderson | 6 comments For disgusting/terrifying I would say goblins like Gollum that have scared me since I was little but my favorite mythological monster would be the Benu Bird AKA the Egyptian Phoenix that created everything and can change everything at its will. A really powerful and beautiful creature.

message 7: by Amalia (new)

Amalia Dillin (amaliadillin) | 13 comments I don't know, I think some of those Greek snake ladies are pretty creepy. Like the Echidna. Yugh. Also the Sirens -- in the traditional sense, with lady chests and faces and bird bodies. Creeptastic.

message 8: by C.B. (new)

C.B. Pratt (cbpratt) | 5 comments Medusa, no two ways about it.

Sara: I adore the old Hammer Studios movies. I even blogged about 'The Gorgon' last week when it came on the retro channel.

message 9: by Michele (new)

Michele The Krampus, hands down.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie | 3 comments Michele wrote: "The Krampus, hands down."

A Bao A Qu is a deadly monster from Malay Peninsular. Oh, and also he loves to suck out the life force of pilgrims

message 11: by Michele (new)

Michele Katie wrote: "A Bao A Qu is a deadly monster from Malay Peninsula. Oh, and also he loves to suck out the life force of pilgrims..."

Go Borges!!

message 12: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Freilich | 2 comments The Six Headed Scylla for sure...I once read that she had barking dogs melded into her body! I would not have relished sailing past her!

message 13: by Serena (new)

Serena | 19 comments Hmmmm...I was frightened of Ursula in the little Mermaid. Refused to watch it after the first time I saw it I think my mother had said.

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie | 3 comments nice. I always hated the little mermaid. So inaccurate. and boring. the people at my pre school mad us watch it once a week. ugh

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annhunter) | 4 comments Celtic- Donestre
Epic monster. Morbid, but cracks me up.
This creature has the head of a lion and the body of a man. It decapitates its victim and then...

wait for it...

WEEPS about it

HAHAHA!

Barghest (celtic) are pretty cool/creepy too

message 16: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Hollyberry | 12 comments um, Yallery Brown is pretty creepy. Only monsters I've ever had actual nightmares about are vampires though. I had nightmares about Bunnicula as a child.

message 17: by Eve (new)

Eve | 1 comments the Kraken or any kind of giant spider

message 18: by Amy (last edited May 20, 2014 11:16AM) (new)

Amy Keeley (safire_blue) | 1 comments Dragons have always been, and always will be, my favorite. I like both the evil ones and the not-so-evil ones.

I'm also fascinated by kappa, though I haven't learned nearly enough about them.

Oh, wait...not our favorites, but the ones we thought were the most creepy and disgusting? That'll teach me to read the post as well as the title. *facepalm*

I must be weird because none of the ones on this list have ever struck me as creepy and/or disgusting.

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Porter (trolltails) | 5 comments I've always been a little creeped out by Pan. Just too many different parts and he's supposed to represent sex. eeeewww

I've only recently learned of Baba Yaga. Really creepy.

message 20: by Rusty (new)

Rusty Nugent (RustyNugent) | 3 comments Werewolves and Dragons.

message 21: by Valkyrie (new)

Valkyrie | 13 comments My favorite monster is Fenris. A son of Loki who can shapeshift into a wolf. He is, however, not really a werewolf because he can shift at will. Destined to kill Odin, he is potrayed as quite fearsome.
Jormungandr is my second favorite. He is also known as the Midguard Serpent. He is feared because he is destined to kill Thor.

message 22: by Valkyrie (new)

Valkyrie | 13 comments Kevis wrote: "The Giants from Norse Mythology. Surtr and Ymir are the stuff of nightmares."

Surtr is the fire giant destined to set Yggdrasil on fire, right?

message 23: by KirtChrisMorris (new)

KirtChrisMorris | 13 comments Eve wrote: "the Kraken or any kind of giant spider"

Yes the Kraken is so scary like in the Pirates of the Caribbean

message 24: by KirtChrisMorris (new)

KirtChrisMorris | 13 comments Valkyrie wrote: "Kevis wrote: "The Giants from Norse Mythology. Surtr and Ymir are the stuff of nightmares."

Surtr is the fire giant destined to set Yggdrasil on fire, right?"

Hey I'm writing a book called Yggdrasil

message 25: by Valkyrie (new)

Valkyrie | 13 comments Really? Is it about how Yggdrasil grew or the norns who water the roots to keep them from decaying or the Eagle at the top who argues with Nidhogg at the bottom with a squirrel who carries the messages?

message 26: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy | 1 comments Chinese ghosts are pretty evil. If a person dies far from home, they can't get back to be laid to rest and haunt the area. They used to hire people to walk the land, whistling, to call the ghosts and bring them home... I have a friend who was recently smacked upside the head for whistling at night! "Don't you know you'll call the ghosts!"

message 27: by John (new)

John Triptych | 8 comments I like the tzitizmitl- Aztec demon star goddesses!

message 28: by C. (new)

C. | 4 comments My favorites are from the Sinbad, Jason and the Argonauts(1963), and Clash of the Titans(1981) films....

Cyclops, Dragon, the mythical Hydra, Medusa, Harpies, Skeleton army, the massive statue of Talos, and the Kraken.

message 29: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Wilbrink (memoirlady) | 4 comments I like Pegasus, Ariadne and Perseus

message 30: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Lentz (kalentz) | 1 comments So I was looking for one I had come across a couple years ago and found a new yuck/creepy!

Akaname from Japanese folklore. It's a *eerrrp* filth licker that comes out at night, in the dark to lick up *uurrp* filth from the floors of unclean bathrooms. This brings back that scary, fluke-man fear X-files instilled in me decades ago.

message 31: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 295 comments the nuckelavee

message 32: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Burton-Bukhari (maureenlb) | 3 comments definitely the 9 muses, the sirens of the sea and the gorgons

message 33: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) Any form of giant spider, no matter what part of the world. Those things creep me out every time. Books, movies....::shudders::

message 34: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 68 comments Snakes creep me out. So for me, it has to be the hydra.

message 35: by B. (new)

B. Forrester (bforresterauthor) | 4 comments Where to start?

Pishtaco from Supernatural are pretty creepy. Although, that said, a monster than can make me lose weight instead of my life would probably be at the top of my list to make friends with :)

I hate fly monsters. I don't know if they have a name but I've seen them in cartoons and stuff where they are like these giant freaking flies. I think there's a The Simpson's episode where Bart's head gets replaced with that of a giant fly?

Kraken obviously, and I'm also in the camp of "no giant spiders".

Also, the Basilisk from Chamber of Secrets had me terrified of bathrooms for years.

message 36: by Jen (new)

Jen Pretty | 2 comments Mahishasura. Big hairy buffalo man.

message 37: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Hayes (hayesstw) | 2 comments Bodachs and likho are pretty creepy.

message 38: by Michael (new)

Michael Harvey | 7 comments The Twrch Trwyth is pretty cool. He is a monstrous wild boar that King Arthur is obliged to hunt in the Mabinogion story Culhwch and Olwen. He is huge and brutal and leads a team of seven wild boar. He was once a human king but was turned into a wild boar for being evil and really violent. Interestingly he has a golden comb and shears between his ears.

message 39: by Poppy (new)

Poppy Minnix (poppyminnix) | 2 comments The most terrifying... Kelpies. I think of them each time I visit a lake. And wendigos. Creeeeeepy.

Favorites? I honestly can't pick one. Sirens, kitsune, or the firebird maybe?

message 40: by Michael (new)

Michael Harvey | 7 comments The Twrch Trwyth from the Arthurian story Culhwch and Olwen is pretty scary. Huge and heartless with the ability to spit poison out of his hackles. But he does have a rather splendid comb and scissors between his ears (that have to be snatched as part of the story, of course). If you are looking for something a bit more sophisticated than huge, hairy and violent there is always Y Widdon Orddu ferch y Widdon Orwen (The Very Black Witch, Daughter of the Very White Witch) who lives in an Otherworld cave. Arthur has to go in and face her at the end of the story.

message 41: by James (new)

James Pyne | 3 comments The Wendigo and Skinwalkers. Legendary.

message 42: by P.B. (new)

P.B. Flower (pb_flower) | 2 comments The Destroyer and Menaka

PB Flower