UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past group quizzes/comps > Writing Contest #15

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jud (last edited Jun 05, 2013 09:24AM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments This months theme is 200 words on "memories inspired by colour"

PM all entries to me by midnight Wednesday 19th June.
The winner will receive a £5 Amazon Gift Voucher!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh.

Wow.

I might actually throw myself into this one. Remind us who chose the theme please Jud? Wonderful!

Of course, I'll not be up for the prize as a mod. But wow, this one is speaking to my soul.

message 3: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments David S picked it

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh.

Gee. I hope it scabs over again soon.

message 5: by David (last edited Jun 05, 2013 12:02PM) (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments So, Patti, when it was anonymous, it spoke to your sole. Revealed that it was I: "oh"!

What am I to make of this exclamative?

Look forward to seeing what everyone writes, and now I need to come up with something myself. Perhaps the smart move would have been to write first and then reveal the topic :~/

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9112 comments I love these little contests :) - short enough not to be onerous, just right to flex one's creative muscles. And I love reading the entries! This looks like a good one

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Yay. Still going! :)

message 8: by Mago (new)

Mago (Mark) | 1750 comments Bugger!

Colour-blind.

message 9: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Should have a good twist in the tale then!

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Oh, sorry, *memories*

Must get new glasses...

message 11: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Pearson | 259 comments I might have a go this time.
How strict is the word count?

message 12: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Usually to within a slack handful either way - but not abusively so.

So - that didn't help did it! Just as long as we don't push our luck, I think.

message 13: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Pearson | 259 comments Ok, so about 20 or so words over is reasonable you think?
(My idea may well be a bit complicated lol)

message 14: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Well, I won't shout at you. Mind you, I'm nice. (It says here.)

message 15: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Pearson | 259 comments Hahaha! I think you are nice.

I'm not a suck-up! Who said that? ;~P

message 16: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments I wouldn't vote for anything that exceeds the stated maximum. An extra 20 words is an extra 10% in length; that means potentially 10% more character development; 10% more plot - which simply isn't fair.
I may well be the only one who thinks like that.
But with a substantial cash prize this time, others may take the same view!

message 17: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Pearson | 259 comments lol just seen that I put 20 or so words! Was supposed to put 2 or so words :~P

message 18: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Oh, I forgot about the substantial cash prize! I'm easily impressed eh!

message 19: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments You can suck up to Ignite all you want Victoria but it won't do you any good!

I have never wanted to make the word count too strict (although you are all usually very good) cause I don't want to take the fun out of it but if everyone prefers I am happy to set an agreed limit since there is a prize this time.

message 20: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Pearson | 259 comments It's ok Jud, I can suck up to you too ;~)

*goes off to trim some fat from story*

message 21: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments That's good, I only like the lean!

message 22: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments Victoria, even I wouldn't notice an extra 2 words. But having said that, just 2 words are easily cut, so it probably wouldn't arise. I don't know about everyone else, but I find that writing to a fixed maximum is an integral part of the challenge.

message 23: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Pearson | 259 comments One more question (I know, I'm annoying) does the title count towards the word count limit too? (I don't mean lets make the title a paragraph long, by the way :~P)

message 24: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments I wouldn't count the title in the word count, but then, I don't have any authority :~)

message 25: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments No, the title doesn't count.

message 26: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments The title is really just a way of separating each story from the other for the purposes of voting.

message 27: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Pearson | 259 comments Ok, brillo. Thank you :~)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Grrrr I hate paragraph long titles.

I've not bought books because of that.

message 29: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments It's known as Title Stuffing, I believe. Serve them right when they try to tweet it! ;)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh it has a name, eh?

It screams amateur.

message 31: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Aye well. Even amateur has a name!

message 32: by Gingerlily - The Full Wild (last edited Jun 07, 2013 04:13AM) (new)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments If you look at some of the really old books on Project Gutenberg, some of them have 3 or 4 sentences in the title!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yep.

Written in archaic language too.

message 34: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Pearson | 259 comments Now wondering if I am guilty of title stuffing with my short story books. It doesn't count if it is a subtitle though, right? *panic attacks* (not that they are 3 or 4 sentences long!)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I will have a go. It makes the race for last place harder for you all.

message 36: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments You're such a sportsman Simon ;)

message 37: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I haven't got many entries yet! 1 more week to go. Get writing people :o)

message 38: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments I'l be sending mine later today, wrote it yesterday and want to give it another read first :~)

message 39: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1603 comments Thanks for the reminder. *puts thinking cap on*

message 40: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments submitted

message 41: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments My entry is in.

message 42: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Pearson | 259 comments mine too :~)

message 43: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments There's hardly any entries compared to the months when we had no prizes!!

message 44: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "There's hardly any entries compared to the months when we had no prizes!!"

got a few more days to go., I suspect some writers are like students with essay crises, they leave it all to the last minute!

message 45: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments I'm afraid I'm a deadline person. I'll work myself up into a minor frenzy over the weekend and see what I can come up with!

message 46: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments I'd always taken you for an organised, methodical person, ignite. Just goes to show, don't it? :~)

message 47: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Oh no! You're thinking of another Ignite entirely! I'm random in the extreme. :)

message 48: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments I wrote mine in about 10 minutes during lunch break at work this week. Straight after I'd seen the challenge. Best not to overthink these things when it's 200 words.

Plus I like riffing stories on my feet :-)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Sadly, all I'm getting are disjointed thoughts that don't make a story.

I'm so not a writer. :(

message 50: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Patti (Number 69) wrote: "Sadly, all I'm getting are disjointed thoughts that don't make a story.

I'm so not a writer. :("

I dunno, that sounds like literary modernism's stream of consciousness to me :-)

« previous 1