The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2013 > 20.4 - Author! Author! - Ann A's task: Initial Fun

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 05, 2013 03:24PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10635 comments Mod
20.4 - Author! Author! - Ann A's task: Initial Fun

Most of us enjoy trying new authors, so for this task choose one of the options below and read ONE book by an author that is NEW TO YOU:

Option 1. The author's initials must be found in any order in your Readerboard name. Only author's first and last names will be used (ignore middle names). For example, since my Readerboard name is Ann A, my book's author would have to have the initials AN, NA, AA, or NN. If a letter appears only once in your Readerboard name, it should appear only once in the author's initials.

Option 2. If you find your own name to be too limiting, you may "borrow" one of our moderators' Readerboard names:

Dlmrose
Sandy
Kristi Passion for the Page

If the book has two or more authors, only one is required to have initials in the Readerboard name, but all authors should be "new to you".

Required: State the option chosen when you post and confirm that the author(s) is/are new to you.

message 2: by Ann A (last edited Jun 21, 2013 06:27PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 853 comments NOTE ****** Please be sure to confirm that the author is new to you when you post!

message 3: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 853 comments And reserved again...

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10635 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments if there are two authors are both required to be in the readerboard name?

message 6: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 842 comments Would NN also be able to be used by you or are we only allowed to use the first two or the last two initials?

message 7: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 853 comments JennRenee wrote: "if there are two authors are both required to be in the readerboard name?"

Good question! I'm going to say that only one of the authors needs to be in the Readerboard name. However, both authors should be new to you.

message 8: by Ann A (last edited Jun 04, 2013 09:57PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 853 comments Tammy AZ wrote: "Would NN also be able to be used by you or are we only allowed to use the first two or the last two initials?"

Another good question. You people are thinking through my task better than I did! Using my Readerboard name, I should have included the initials NN and AA. In your case, your choices would include MM and AA, as well as combinations using one occurrence of any of the letters. I will ask Kristi to edit the task description...

message 9: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Does The Zarder by Sara Jo Easton work for me? S and E are in my name, but I just wanted to be sure that the "Jo" in Sara Jo Easton counts as a middle name and can be ignored.

message 10: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 853 comments Lindsey wrote: "Does The Zarder by Sara Jo Easton work for me? S and E are in my name, but I just wanted to be sure that the "Jo" in Sara Jo Easton counts as a middle name and can be ignored."

You are correct. That book works just fine!

message 11: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Bleeding Heart Square - Andrew Taylor as my readerboard name is FIONA (TITCH)?

message 12: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Thanks, Ann!

message 13: by Bea (last edited Jun 05, 2013 07:32AM) (new)

Bea | 3757 comments I found one! Really was surprised to find author's initials for my 3 letter name.

Good Blood by Aaron J. Elkins

message 14: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments Yay, I found a place to fit The Lies of Locke Lamora. Great task Ann! (I'm borrowing DLMRose's name for SL).

message 15: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 853 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Bleeding Heart Square - Andrew Taylor as my readerboard name is FIONA (TITCH)?"

That works, Fiona!

message 16: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 853 comments Bea wrote: "I found one! Really was surprised to find author's initials for my 3 letter name.

Good Blood by Aaron J. Elkins"

Yes, you didn't have a lot of letters to choose from! Glad you found a book.

message 17: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 853 comments Chaitra wrote: "Yay, I found a place to fit The Lies of Locke Lamora. Great task Ann! (I'm borrowing DLMRose's name for SL)."

Thanks, Chaitra. Hope you enjoy your book. It looks interesting!

message 18: by Deedee (last edited Jun 05, 2013 06:40PM) (new)

Deedee | 2020 comments Does Don DeLillo count as "D D"? (I'm unsure about the "DeLillo")

message 19: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 842 comments Ann A wrote: "Tammy AZ wrote: "Would NN also be able to be used by you or are we only allowed to use the first two or the last two initials?"

Another good question. You people are thinking through my task bette..."

Thanks!

message 20: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments Ann A wrote: "Hope you enjoy your book. It looks interesting!"

It does, right? It's very boring actually. :( Although given the reviews on GR, I'm in the minority.

message 21: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 853 comments Deedee wrote: "Does Don DeLillo count as "D D"? (I'm unsure about the "DeLillo")"

Yes, DD is fine, as both the "De" and "Lillo" appear to be part of his last name.

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie This may be a stupid question, but how exactly would you like us to confirm that the author is new to us? Should we just say, "This author is new to me"?

message 23: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 853 comments Katie wrote: "This may be a stupid question, but how exactly would you like us to confirm that the author is new to us? Should we just say, "This author is new to me"?"

Yes, any type of comment confirming the author is new to you will do!

message 24: by Andy (last edited Jun 18, 2013 03:01PM) (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3287 comments Andy P.
I wonder if
Purity of Blood by Arturo Pérez-Reverte would work for me for Option 1? My initials match the first letter in the first part of the author's hyphenated name and I have not read anything by this author.

message 25: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 853 comments Andy wrote: "Andy P.
I wonder if
Purity of Blood by Arturo Pérez-Reverte would work for me for Option 1? My initials match the first letter in the first part of the author's hyphenated name and I have not rea..."

Yes, the initials AP would work, since the whole hyphenated name would be considered his last name.

message 26: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3287 comments Ann A wrote: "Andy wrote: "Andy P.
I wonder if
Purity of Blood by Arturo Pérez-Reverte would work for me for Option 1? My initials match the first letter in the first part of the author's hyphenated name and I..."

Thank you!

message 27: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments My reader name is Claire.

Would Killing Floor by Lee Childbe OK?

message 28: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 853 comments Claire wrote: "My reader name is Claire.

Would Killing Floor by Lee Childbe OK?"

Yes! Just be sure to confirm that Lee Child is new to you when you post. I've been wanting to try something by him myself.