Addicted to Novels - YA Books and more... discussion

Dave Matthes
This topic is about Dave Matthes
Dave Matthes (June 3rd, 2013)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Dave Matthes
Who are you? Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I've been writing since I could pick up a pencil, literally. During the summer between First and Second Grade, I attended a summer club thing my school was having, and the one particular club I signed up for was a Short Story Workshop. I couldn't tell ya what initially attracted me, because that was almost twenty fucking years ago. But since then I've been addicted to writing everything and anything.

What type of books do you write?
I try to keep away from classifying myself in one particular genre; I realize a lot of writers like to stay in one area because that's where they feel comfy and cozy or because their publishers "advise" them what the market is into, but I feel like that would limit myself. I try to write something different with each book I endeavor, as well as doing something different with them whether it's the plot's direction, character styles, or even something as technical as font styles or the way the text is presented on the actual page. I attempted writing with a Blog Group even just for kicks, hoping that conversing with a group of authors might be a way to get to know other writers. Their namby-pamby attitudes couldn't handle my flavor of awesomeness, unfortunately, and kicked me to the curb for having a slightly more-than-healthy love affair with the F-Bomb. I'll write anything and try to write anything though. Science fiction, fantasy, comedy, dramedy...anything.

When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
As aforementioned, I started playin' house with my literary self at a fairly early age, but I didn't really get neck-deep into writing until a few years ago. What became my first book started off as a journal to keep myself company while working endless third shift debauchery. Someone, whom I swear I can't remember who, got a hold of it one day and jokingly said I should try publishing it for the sheer hilarity of the subject matter. I pitched the idea to a few publishers but so far no one has wanted to anything to do with a book titled "The Slut Always Rides Shotgun". So I turned to self-publishing, and since it's publication in 2011 it's earned a fairly decent underground fanbase.

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?
Where...anywhere and everywhere. I'm sure most writers are familiar with having to keep some kind of little notebook handy wherever they go; literally, tiny little strands of thoughts will fart their way into my mind outta nowhere and I'll have to write them down. How they'll be used later on is anybody's guess. But when I'm actually sitting down to work on something significant, I prefer it to be in my room, lights dimmed, candles and/or incense burnin' the night away. As far as the when is concerned...I prefer to do all my writing during the twilight hours. There's just something about the solitude of working after hours that gets the mind chugging. Writing after midnight also eliminates the threat of being interrupted.

What inspired you to write your first book?
That's easy: life. Being my first book is essentially an autobiography, everything around me was sort of erupting in a way that would prompt most idiots into venturing some form of art just to cope. Since writing is my canvas of choice, Life gave me the inspiration, my imagination did the rest.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I honestly don't have a real favorite; in a semi-recent twisted bit of fate, I've come to realize that I don't really like reading much, at least most anything that's written these days. Some books that've stood out to me though are The Great Gatsby, The Road, anything by the godfather Hunter S. Thompson, and on the rare occasion I'll come across a piece by Stephen King, although his stuff is usually hit or miss for me.

How do you react to a bad/good review of one of your books?
Good reviews are always nice, no author can deny that. But it's the bad ones that really show you your strengths and weaknesses, at least in the eyes of the reviewer. I've always tried to write with the intention of wow-ing people with something they've never read before, but the truth is I'm one of those peeps that writes simply for myself. I couldn't really care less what people "think" about my work. The only thing that matters to me is that if someone does read something that's mine, they get something out of it that they can take with them. For me, it's not really a question of what a good or bad review is; the review is our chance as authors to get something back from the reviewer's point of view. The superficial side of me, however, calms my nerves by saying that if in the case a bad review is given, if that reviewer has a hard-on for anything Twilight-related, then their opinion is entirely worthless.

What’s more important: characters or plot?
I'd say it's neither here nor there. Characters depend on the plot, and vice versa...so by that logic, if one is lacking, the other will suffer. But I suppose it really depends on what the author is trying to convey.

If your book was made into a TV series or Movie, what actors would you like to see playing your characters?
Funny, my first book "The Slut Always Rides Shotgun" is currently in the last phase of filming by a low budget, low-key, fairly unknown IndyFilm company. But honestly, I've never really thought about it. With my third book, "In This House, We Lived, and We Died", one of the main characters, an old man, I imagined as Robert Duvall-type guy...and in the book I'm working on now, there's definite inspiration from shows like "Californication" and "Shameless".

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Assuming they're asking for it: write, and don't stop. It's a craft that needs constant sharpening; there is no right or wrong way to really go about it. Just don't corner yourself into a place that demands of you what you don't want to do. Editors, publishers, anyone really, can brainwash you into writing what you don't want to write. If it's something you want to write about, write about it, write the shit out of it.

Will you have a new book coming out soon?
"In This House, We Lived, and We Died" was just released this April. I'm working on "Sleepeth Not, the Bastard" right now, and given its subject matter I don't see it being finished anytime soon. I never give myself a due-date, but I'm shooting for a 2015 release; we'll see.

Can you leave us a quote from one of your books?
- Taken from "The Slut Always Rides Shotgun"---
“I fancy myself a writer. And writing, in its most eloquent manner, since time became a concept indoctrinated by true troglodytes, tickles my dong; it throttles my flume; it punts my epididymus to horizons fantastical. And not just writing bullshit; a few seemingly overused words to describe the belched bark of a goddamn sequoia, but actually writing. Writing to me is not about thinking, it's not about personality traits or hell, even the conveyance of feelings. Writing is like breathing to me. I have to do it. I have to inhale it and exhale it, no matter what comes in and likewise what comes out. Traversing the slopes of the soul, scratching that all but intangible itch, I find solace in the abyss of my complacency. It‟s not for recognition, not for income or monetary satisfaction. None of that really matters to me. The only thing that matters to me is finding the way to transfer a thought to paper; a heartbeat to the surface; a blink and a gasp to submissively correspond with the outcry of tangible suspense.”

13. Where can we find your books?
My blog: I don't really keep a blog anymore.
My facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Theslutalway...
My Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
Twitter: Screw that noise...
Amazon: They don't support my literary genius anymore. Sad story, but true.
Other: Lulu Marketplace for buying paperbacks: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Thenaca...
Is your book in Print, ebook or both?
Paperbacks can be bought from the Lulu Marketplace link posted above, and ebooks can been downloaded for free from each book's goodreads page.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

CHECK OUT
In This House, We Lived, and We Died by Dave Matthes
There couldn't be a verb, an adjective, a noun, a pronoun profound enough to literarily liberate the emotion, the feeling, the thought and power felt below my feet as I turned onto that forested bypass, leaving the city and suburbs of my post-adolescence behind. It was freedom without a flag, pestilence without a cure; both likewise and subverted. And in lighting the spliff held gingerly between my aged, wrinkled and dilapidated lips, my destiny was prolonged only for the better. If the night were thicker, I might cast myself into an ocean of doubt. If my headlights were dimmer I might exalt myself under the most rude of Kings. It seemed that the only obstacle on the start of my journey was merely the wind; backward and pressing it was, as the Autumn always presumed it to be. And I felt as though I might be a kite without a string, a hook without bait; yes, the only deceit at my fingertips was the dirt beneath my fingernails. This journey of mine, wherever it took me, would be my last."

In This House, We Lived, and We Died, is a story about a man, aged and lost, in mind, body, and spirit, whose last quest takes him into the deepest abysses, across the sharpest precipices, and through the darkest abscesses of his soul so that he may collect the shattered and sunken remains of his all-but vanquished memory.

A sort of Spiritual Epic in the same way "What Dreams May Come" inspires to alter life dispositions, and in the same way "Fight Club" aspires to inspire with violent psychological psithurism, "In This House, We Lived, and We Died" aims to break all the rules of the literary journey and set a new tone for the world of
imagination.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Check Out
The Slut Always Rides Shotgun by Dave Matthes
Traversing the parallels and hoaxes of a sex-addict, within these pages depicts a random and defunct narrative of what could be considered an absolute travesty of collective insults and inane sexual debauchery and nothing but. The life of all nymphomaniacs, however, isn't just about the hunt for the next pair of legs to spread; there are those who actually fathom the depths of what it is to rot upon that all but elusive landscape...of "love".

Written in the form of a journal, The Slut Always Rides Shotgun depicts a very brief time in the life of the author. Written originally to pass the time during working the overnight shift alone at a bakery, this journal eventually evolved into its current state: a short book written for the sole purpose of helping others find the ability to be honest with themselves and all those around them.