Stephen King Fans discussion

Shutter Island
This topic is about Shutter Island
Other Books (Non-King) > Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2528 comments Mod
Hello!! It's time for our June book discussion. Please mark all spoilers. Sorry I am late posting this... I was at Comic Con Denver and couldn't get on the internet all weekend!!!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Without a doubt, this is my favorite LeHane book. The character of Teddy is so well written, and the atmosphere is eerie and menacing.

A great mystery with a very shocking climax! One of the best books I've read in years.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I really enjoyed this one too...

Courtney | 293 comments I'm reading it now and really enjoying it. I saw the movie a few years ago, but I don't remember it well.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

The movie followed the book pretty close.

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Dubay (lauriedubay) I have really enjoyed most of Lehane's books. This was probably my favorite. I think he is a master of scene, really makes the setting its own character. He also has a great sense of how to build a plausible reality by carefully choosing his details. This was a great read!

Courtney | 293 comments Question for those who have finished the book, or are further than page 205: (view spoiler)

Veronica (veraj121) | 300 comments This is a great read. I loved this book. Enjoy

message 9: by GeneralTHC (last edited Jun 04, 2013 06:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

GeneralTHC | 7 comments Courtney wrote: "Question for those who have finished the book, or are further than page 205: [spoilers removed]"

Yes. Look near the end of chapter nine when they're (Chuck and Teddy) taking shelter from the hurricane.

Courtney | 293 comments Chuck wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Question for those who have finished the book, or are further than page 205: [spoilers removed]"

Yes. Look near the end of chapter nine when they're (Chuck and Teddy) taking shelt..."

Found it, now I remember! Thanks Chuck!

Malina | 304 comments After Mystic River, this is my favorite Lehane's book, I loved the suspense and the psychological twist

Shannon (shannondisbell) | 51 comments I read this one over the weekend and I loved it alot better then Mystic River. Looks like I got another fav author now lol

Angela (asheck) | 9 comments I've just started reading it. Wasn't interested in seeing the movie so was hesitant to read the book... so far, very excellent!! I'll have to make sure I avoid the temptation to look at the spoilers you all post!

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments A very interesting book and faithful adaptation movie. I love when its hard to separate reality from mind games stories

message 15: by Iain (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iain Black | 1 comments Started and finished the book in record time for me. Absolutely loved it. Was aware of the movie but never watched it, and although it was obvious that there was going to be a twist to the ending, I wasn't even close to guessing right.

message 16: by Tony (last edited Jun 12, 2013 03:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tony Talbot Great book. I loved the concept of the (view spoiler) The setting was superb, the writing excellent, the atmosphere genuinely creepy.

Also, I saw the movie first, and it didn't detract or spoil my enjoyment of the book one bit. Excellent film.

Aditya I selected this book for the buddy read based on the movie which I loved.I must say the book is even better (though the movie was also a very faithful adaptation), the detailing as well as the mystery is captivating and now I will look forward to reading more Lehane books.

A quick request to all members of the group if you know any such intricately plotted psychological thriller like Shutter Island please suggest it to me.

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Aditya - If you are looking for books that are similarly brilliantly plotted, try Carol O'Connell's Mallory's Oracle

She's written at least 10 other Mallory books - simply because the title character is endlessly fascinating -- but the first book, mentioned above, is truly breathtaking.

message 19: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Bondama wrote: "Aditya - If you are looking for books that are similarly brilliantly plotted, try Carol O'Connell's Mallory's Oracle

She's written at least 10 other Mallory books - simply because the title charac..."

I'll check that one out, as well! Thank you, as always, for your great recommendations, Bondama!

Alison | 3 comments My 1st Lehane book. Loved it. Crazy plot twists, very surprising ending. Saw the movie Mystic River several years ago, but can't wait to read that book too. Thanks for the great selection.

Aditya Bondama wrote: "Aditya - If you are looking for books that are similarly brilliantly plotted, try Carol O'Connell's Mallory's Oracle

She's written at least 10 other Mallory books - simply because the title charac..."

Thanks for the suggestion Bondama I will make it a point to check it out if I can get hold of the book as none but the most popular American authors (like King,Brown,Grisham) are available in my country.

Michelle (shelld79) | 44 comments I really want to read this book as hubby made me watch the movie ages ago and I was just so confused....
Maybe I'll bump it up on my TBR pile so I can see if the book clarifies things a bit better for me....

message 23: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Moore | 1 comments This was my first Lehane book and I really liked to plot and the characters. I feel like the movie was made to be more of a scary suspenseful but it adapted pretty well. I haven't read or watched Mystic River so after reading Shutter Island I feel I will be following Lehane more closely.

Veronica (veraj121) | 300 comments Mystic River is amazing. You should also read his Patrick Kenzie & Angie Genaro series.

message 25: by Sean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sean Brennan | 1 comments I was going to write a review stating that the book was a damning expose of how mental health services dehumanise the individual then BANG, back to the drawing board.

By far his best work!

Danell (danellbookworm) | 4 comments It was my first time reading Lehane and really liked this book! Thank you for exposing me to a new author and expanding my tbr shelf!! Ventured to the library and have started "Mystic River".

Catherine (yarnmama10) | 89 comments Danell wrote: "It was my first time reading Lehane and really liked this book! Thank you for exposing me to a new author and expanding my tbr shelf!! Ventured to the library and have started "Mystic River"."

Same here. First book by this author which I might have missed and I also got

Mystic River to read next. :-)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) My first book by him and enjoyed it. I saw the movie first though so this kind of dampered my enjoyment of it, I think. I found the first half of the movie more engaging than the first half of the book, but the second half of the book beat the film version.