Harlequin Presents Readers discussion

Themes > Recommendations for Raped or Abused heroines

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 11 comments Hi,
I just joined this group and my favorite trope is raped(not by Hero) or abused heroines. I would appreciate any recommendations you could give me.

Thanks!

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (bscharwath) | 55 comments Michelle Reid's The Marriage Surrender is a good one.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31...

message 3: by Verity (last edited Jun 02, 2013 09:48PM) (new)

Verity | 567 comments Raped :
Laurey Bright (aka Daphne Clair) ~ A sudden sunlight.
Daphne Clair ~ The loving trap.

Abused :
Anne Mather ~ Hot pursuit.
Daphne Clair ~ Carpenter's mermaid.
Sandra Canfield ~ The loving.

I 2nd The marriage surrender.

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 2277 comments Mod
Welcome, Nicole.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 11 comments Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out.
Nicole

message 6: by Roub (new)

Roub (roubina) | 34 comments i checked the loving trap. it seems very nice.i'm going 2 read it. thnxs verity:-)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Virgin on Her Wedding Night (Harlequin Presents, #2915) by Lynne Graham

It's not a rape situation but it was a bad abuse situation. Pretty good book and interesting.

message 8: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 5 comments Back in the Lion's Denh's hubby, H's bro, seems to have smacked her around a bit.

There was another one that fits that description too. the h's hubby, H's cousin this time IIRC, smacked h around and lied all over town about her too. He kicked bucket and H moves in w/.....ultimatumThe Greek Tycoon's Ultimatum

message 9: by Demetra (new)

Demetra (demetrahp) | 88 comments Raped Falco The Dark Guardian by Sandra Marton
Abused Forbidden The Sheikh's Virgin by Trish Morey
Accidentally raped by the hero! Innocent Pawn (Harlequin Presents) by Catherine George

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 2277 comments Mod
Oh I remembered one, Velvet Promise. Her ex actually raped her and got her pregnant, and because she was young, she got bullied into marrying him. Her marriage was hell. She finally had the courage to break free, but the family essentially demonized her. The hero is a cousin to her ex, and has to realize she is actually the victim and not the bad person the family says she is.

message 11: by Verity (last edited Jun 05, 2013 03:43PM) (new)

Verity | 567 comments Charlotte Lamb ~ Stranger in the night. Heroine was raped then the rapist had some nuts & tried to come back into her life as if she could fuggedaboutit.

message 12: by Verity (last edited Jun 05, 2013 03:54PM) (new)

Verity | 567 comments Demetra wrote: "Raped Falco The Dark Guardian by Sandra Marton
Abused Forbidden The Sheikh's Virgin by Trish Morey
Accidentally raped by the hero! Innocent Pawn (Harlequin Presents) by Catherine George"

Innocent pawn has the sweetest accidental rapist hero in HPlandia.

message 13: by Demetra (new)

Demetra (demetrahp) | 88 comments Verity wrote: "Innocent pawn has the sweetest accidental rapist hero in HPlandia. "
Yes, I totally agree!

message 14: by Verity (new)

Verity | 567 comments Charlotte Lamb ~ A violation. Haven't read but the title is self-explanatory. Not sure I'll evah read it.

message 15: by Asteropê (last edited Jun 19, 2013 06:08PM) (new)

Asteropê (21tauri) | 82 comments The heroine in this one has a sexual assault and near rape as a 16 years old:
The Greek's Innocent Virgin (Kouros Brothers Duo #1 & Greek Tycoons #2) by Lucy Monroe

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 11 comments Thanks for all the recommendations! Keep them coming!

Nicole

message 17: by Asteropê (last edited Jun 19, 2013 06:48PM) (new)

Asteropê (21tauri) | 82 comments Savage Atonement  by Penny Jordan
From summary: When she was fifteen Laurel had been the victim of an attempted rape, and Oliver Savage was the reporter who had twisted her story, tearing her reputation to shreds and leaving her fearful of every man who came too near...

The Marriage Surrender (Passion) (Harlequin Presents, # 2014) by Michelle Reid
Heroine is a rape victim

The Sicilian's Baby Bargain by Penny Jordan
Raped by H's dead brother

The Greek Prince's Chosen Wife by Sandra Marton
Review I read said h was sexually abused in foster care

For the Sheikh's Pleasure (Surrender to the Sheikh) (Harlequin Presents, #2656) by Annie West
Review I read says, "a woman struggling to be physically and emotionally intimate after being drugged and raped during a night out."

A Sudden Sunlight (Silhouette Special Editions, #516) by Laurey Bright
Amnesiac rape victim

Stranger in the Night (Harlequin Presents, #417) by Charlotte Lamb
Reviews state she's a rape victim

message 18: by Liliah (new)

Liliah | 43 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/79...

I think the h was raped by her stepfather

message 19: by Asteropê (new)

Asteropê (21tauri) | 82 comments Virgin on Her Wedding Night (Harlequin Presents, #2915) by Lynne Graham
Her (dead) husband was basically verbally and emotionally abusive which left her with major issues with intimacy. He (dead husband) only hit her once, but I think the rest would count as being abused.

message 20: by Verity (new)

Verity | 567 comments Lynsey Stevens ~ Man of vengeance. Hero's cousin's sloppy 2nds. Allegedly her expired hubby roughed her up.

message 21: by Asteropê (new)

Asteropê (21tauri) | 82 comments Since you said you like this trope, I came across these in my search before. They're not Presents, but I thought you might be interested.

The Man from Her Past (Welcome to Honesty, #2) by Anna Adams
She was raped

The Mistake She Made by Linda Style
She was raped and accused the wrong man, consequences occurred...

message 22: by Asteropê (new)

Asteropê (21tauri) | 82 comments found another one in my reading for the Bingo Challenge:
The Andreou Marriage Arrangement by Helen Bianchin

h was abused mentally, emotionally, physically by her ex-husband. He (the ex) used sex as punishment and she became afraid of it, even having nightmares. She also had past injuries like broken ribs, etc.

message 23: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 11 comments Thanks again everyone for the recs!!

Nicole

message 24: by Asteropê (new)

Asteropê (21tauri) | 82 comments & another:

The Prince's Royal Concubine by Lynn Raye Harris

Her father, the king was physically cruel and abusive. Hit her, terrorized her and her brother, leaving her with nightmares and issues.

message 25: by Asteropê (new)

Asteropê (21tauri) | 82 comments The Sheikh's Virgin Princess by Sarah Morgan

Abused by her uncle. More along the lines of emotional and psychological abuse with physical (not sexual) implied. The things he did caused her PTSD (hinted at in the book) and nightmares. Her uncle also tried to kill her a few times, leading to more anxiety issues.

message 26: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 178 comments ^^^^Sounds good!

message 27: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 11 comments Hi,

Thanks for the recommendations Asterope!!

Nicole

message 28: by Pea (new)

Pea | 5 comments I'm curious what people mean when they say "accidental" rape?

message 29: by Nicole (last edited May 18, 2014 07:52PM) (new)

Nicole | 11 comments Two books that I categorize as "accidental" rape are: Waiting In The Wings (Second Chances) by C.J. England - hero and heroine are both given date rape drug by his unscrupulous manager.
Promises Keep (Promises, #2) by Sarah McCarty - heroine in given drug by whorehouse madam and hero thinks she is just another prostitute.

message 30: by Pea (new)

Pea | 5 comments Nicole wrote: "Two books that I categorize as "accidental" rape ..."

I guess I'm curious why woman are using the term, (even if it is just fiction), "accidental" with rape. I think it's a little careless, don't get me wrong, this is about fiction and I have my own "rape" fantasies. (Great thing about fantasies is that what you control them).
BUT if the reading community keeps perpetuating this myth - it doesn't help any of us. *Sigh* Maybe I'm sensitive to this since I was a target of abuse. Also the irony doesn't get missed by me that the same people who say "accidental" also call women "doormats/weak/TSTL/etc". Each to their own on that, but rape and accidental don't go together for me. EVER.

message 31: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 11 comments I get where you a coming from.

message 32: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 102 comments It is probably to distinguish that the hero is unaware that he is actually raping the heroine.

message 33: by Asteropê (new)

Asteropê (21tauri) | 82 comments JennyG wrote: "It is probably to distinguish that the hero is unaware that he is actually raping the heroine."

That's how I took that term. That a situation arises that makes it unclear if consent is there or not -- especially from the hero's POV.

For example, pretend in a historical romance a woman is told her whole life that during sex to just shut up and lay there. She does and her new husband consummates the marriage. She doesn't want it and we may hear her thoughts saying so, but she follows what she knows and she doesn't say anything or fight back. To her, this is rape, to him? It's not. He has no clue that anything is amiss. Perhaps she tells him later and he's shocked and angry, wondering why she didn't say something. He tries to make it up to her, etc. This to me is more so an "accidental" rape than anything else.

message 34: by Pea (new)

Pea | 5 comments I understand that people are using this term with fiction, but I guess I'm just advocating for use of a different term. Because rape is very real and to see so many different romance novel communities using this term so carelessly is why I had to say something.

For me, it's about the responsibility of putting things out there. And this subject is one that *I* personally feel strongly about. I just don't want a girl or boy/men to get the wrong idea... that a girl/woman can be "accidentally" raped or boys/men can rape someone and say it was an "accident". And to me it doesn't matter about the other person's intent - it matters about what the person who had it happen feels.

From my perspective(real life situations, not fictional): If a person was so scared that s/he didn't do anything when a person who they were kissing/making out with becomes more insistent or even violent - does this mean they aren't being raped? Or say person A is flirting with person B and person B takes it wrong and decides that means person A want to have sex and so person B does it- is the flirter responsible for "leading" the other on and therefor deserved what they got? Insensitivity doesn't excuse accountability for your behavior. JennyG in your example, If you're in bed with someone and they aren't responding, why not just check-in and say "Hey, wassup?" or "You diggin me or what?" lol. I know that's about a historical fictional romance but like I said for me the use of that term goes beyond referring to fiction.

So my question is what is another word or description to use in place of "accidental" so we don't perpetuate old myths about rape/"date rape"/"marital rape"?

Btw, I read these so I'm not upset about the content. I understand about rape fantasy. Or some of the circumstances I don't see it as rape, I see it as seduction and it has that loss of control element to it. Like take me awayyyy my hero! :) Isn't that what most rape fantasies are about anyway? Where the H does everything that you want without having to say a word and some of things you secretly want but would never ask for?

message 35: by Kay (new)

Kay (kaybuck) | 4 comments Father of Her Child
This one has the h being physically and emotionally abused by ex. H is perfect protector. Laughed out loud during one scene. Loved it!

message 36: by Mareli (new)

Mareli | 53 comments Wise Folly, she was raped by the hero's brother. I was considering, due to the great amount of titles, that this is a very popular theme, oh my.