New Adult Book Club discussion

Real (Real, #1)
This topic is about Real
Author Q+A's > Q&A with Katy Evans - CLOSED

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Laura | 500 comments So, are there any guys that were your inspiration for Remy? ;)

Shaunna McLaren (shaunnareads) How long did it take you to write Real, and how did you keep yourself inspired? Also, which part of the book was your favourite to write? :)

Jaydb | 49 comments Hello Katy! :) I'm excited to find out that one of the sequels is titled "Remy". Is that going to be his POV, or is there more that we are about to find out about him? :D

message 4: by Suz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suz (goodreadscominsomniacs) | 2 comments How did you come up w/the Remy's animalistic traits? (Lion-licking?) Have you ever experienced such an intense personality in your romantic life? It was brilliant for you to make music so important in Remington's life since he has such a hard time expressing himself. How did you come up w/the songs he and Brooke shared?
Finally, thank you so much for giving us these characters! REMY has become my new favorite obsession!

Danielle ⚾️ (Danielle's Escape) (fernieswifey) | 4 comments Hi Katy.. Do you have a playlist yet for MINE?

Sarah Oxford (sarahloxford) | 110 comments Hi there,

I read Real because my update feed on Goodreads was all of a sudden full of people gushing over it and writing 5 star reviews. So my question is...
Do you read the reviews? Good and bad? And do you let them influence your mood or even your writing?
You have a lot of big fans already so I would assume that would be a good motivator!

message 7: by Katy (new)

Katy Evans | 48 comments Hey guys!

Thanks for visiting! :)

Laura, no! Remy came to me fully fleshed and forme on his own, so I had no "muse" for him. He was my own muse for him, haha!

message 8: by Katy (new)

Katy Evans | 48 comments Hey Shaunna,
It took me about a month to write REAL, but I had no time to sleep, eat, or practically do anything else. It completely absorbed me! And my favorite part has to be the "reveal" where he tells her he wants to be her REAL. :)

message 9: by Katy (new)

Katy Evans | 48 comments Hey Ava!!

Yes! Of course! Tons more ideas after this series, which I can't wait to share, of course! :)

message 10: by Katy (new)

Katy Evans | 48 comments Hey Jaydb,

Yes, that story is entirely in his POV and we get to see some scenes from REAL and MINE in his point of view, along with us discovering some new things as well. I love being in his head! Can't wait to share!!

message 11: by Katy (new)

Katy Evans | 48 comments Hey Suz,

Oh Remy! I love him. I am a very passionate persona all over, but it wasn't any personal experience that made me "make" him the way he is; he was just a lion from the start. He wasn't raised in a normal way, so normal "society" rules just don't apply to him. He's a very instinctive man with very instinctive and primal traits. I love that so much about him!

So happy you love him as much as I do!!

message 12: by Katy (new)

Katy Evans | 48 comments Danielle,

I do have some songs I've been listening to while writing MINE - two of them are Remy's. One is one Remington uses to pump up for his fights called UPRISING by Muse! Can't wait to share the rest soon! :)

message 13: by Katy (new)

Katy Evans | 48 comments Hey Sarah,

I do read reviews, but I don't let them influence my writing. The creation process if very fickle. When you create, you need to be true to yourself and what you believe in, and what you are passionate about. The moment you start giving over your "book" to someone else, your spark is killed, and you end up sometimes even unable to find the force to create anything at all.

So, yes, I read! And it's exciting when people "get" it in a way you meant for them to. Bad reviews are valid as well, and some very useful to weigh and consider. But at the time when you sit down and actually WRITE, every single voice in your head, the good and the bad, needs to be shut down so that you can listen to the characters instead. :)

Tessa | 4 comments Hi Katy,
I loved the book and can't wait to read the rest! I was interested in how you came about portraying bipolar disorder in this context- was there a lot of research involved?