Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Christian Fiction Group Reads > Nominate July 2013's Group Read ***VOTING FINISHED***

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane U (last edited Jun 14, 2013 07:48AM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments For July 2013, this month's theme is:

Contemporary

Rules:
1. Nominations are open until the 14th of the month. I will let us know which book has "won" on the 15th.
2. Books must be Christian fiction, or "clean" fiction to be eligible for this read.
3. Books are chosen using Random.org to make it completely fair.
4. One nomination per person.

Please make sure that the group has not read the book in prior reads by checking this thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

Nominations so far:

1. Her Restless Heart by Barbara Cameron - Tina
2. This Side of Heaven by Karen Kingsbury - Brittany
3.The House that Love Built by Beth Wiseman - Lorie
4. Shattered by Dani Pettrey - Tina
5. Love, Charleston by Beth Webb Hart - Melissa
6. Against All Odds by Irene Hannon - Victoria
7. The Beach House by Sally John - Diane
8. Southern Fried Sushi by Jennifer Rogers Spinola - Natalie

message 2: by Janet (new)

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Tina wrote: "I would like to nominate The Heart's Frontier by Lori Copeland & Virginia Smith"

Tina, I believe this is a historical novel?

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina Watson | 222 comments I would like to change my nomination to Her Restless Heart by Barbara Cameron

message 5: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 340 comments Mod
I'd like to nominate This Side of Heaven by Karen Kingsbury

message 7: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Janet wrote: "Pennsylvania Patchwork by Kate Lloyd"

Janet, this book is #2 in a series and we have not read book #1. Please make another selection.

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina Annie's Truth--Touch of Grace book 1 by Beth Shriver
Blessings,Tina

message 9: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Tina wrote: "Annie's Truth--Touch of Grace book 1 by Beth Shriver
Blessings,Tina"

Tina, our group theme for this month is Contemporary christian fiction. Since we read this book in the Amish group in March, I would like you to make another selection.

message 10: by Tina (new)

Tina Oops, sorry I had Amish on my mind....how about Shattered (Alaskan Courage Book #2) by Dani Pettrey?
Blessings, Tina

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 127 comments I will nominate Love, Charleston by Beth Webb Hart.

I bought this book because I love Charleston, SC and it's been in the TBR pile awhile.

message 12: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 1079 comments @Diane: How do you contemporary? I don';t want to keep changing my nomination.

message 13: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Natalie wrote: "Does my nomination not count as contemporary? I guess I'm going to change my nomination. Does Southern Fried Sushi work better?"

You did not list a book for your nomination. I would define contemporary as relatively current time frame (not historical) and usually one that deals with social issues such as adoption, abortion, infedility, disease, drugs, death and more.

message 14: by ⚜️Trea (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) Natalie wrote: "Does my nomination not count as contemporary? I guess I'm going to change my nomination. Does Southern Fried Sushi work better?"

If I recall correctly, you had done a huge list spam of book nominations a few months ago and the moderators asked you to stop posting them. I think they want you to go back and re-nominate those books month by month, rather than forcing them to go hunt up your list. However, each nomination must conform to the monthly group theme.

I would also like to add my thoughts on what defines a contemporary novel. Diane U put up a great list, I must say, but I also think that contemporary can also include multicultural relationships. I'm currently re-reading Sushi for One? which has an Asian heroine. It makes for an interesting read to me! To me, a multicultural relationship is a cornerstone of contemporary fiction, because say 50-75 years ago, it was taboo to engage in those types of relationships, and yet now it is a mostly accepted practice!

message 15: by ⚜️Trea (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) And now to bring the thread back on track from the contemporary definition discussion tangent I added to...I would like to nominate Against All Odds by Irene Hannon.

message 16: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Victoria wrote: "Natalie wrote: "Does my nomination not count as contemporary? I guess I'm going to change my nomination. Does Southern Fried Sushi work better?"

If I recall correctly, you had done a huge list s..."

Vicoria, that's a good point about mulitcultural relationships, I did not even think about that.

message 17: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I would like to nominate:

The Beach House by Sally John

The Beach House by Sally John

message 18: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 1079 comments Trying again: How about Southern Fried Sushi?

message 19: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Updated!

Today is the last day before Rachel picks the group read tomorrow!

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Next month's read will be...

#7: The Beach House by Sally John!

Thanks for nominating, Diane! :)

message 21: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis | 44 comments I would like to nominate Missing Your Smile by Jerry Eicher

message 22: by Lorie (last edited Jun 15, 2013 02:53PM) (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
Phyllis you may want to keep that nomination until next month as we have already picked this the winner for next month. We usually ask for nominations from the 1st thru 14th and then pick on the 15th.

message 23: by Shaz (new)

Shaz (zabooksihaveread) | 74 comments I hope to be able to read this book this month as my library has a copy available.

message 24: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Just in case anyone was interested, The Beach House is available for the kindle for $7.58.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Beach-House...

For for the Nook it is $10.19:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/beach...

Or you can buy it from Christianbooks.com for $3.99:

http://www.christianbook.com/the-beac...