What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. 3 book series; realistic witches;solve mystery of nursing home residents being killed by drug that starts with p

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 6 comments Three books, the main protagonist moves in somewhere rural/country. Kitchen witch/herbal witch. Her name might begin with M. I believe she baked and had a cat. One friends name is Polly. Can't remember the other friends name. It's a series of 3 books. In one book the protagonist solves a mystery where nursing home residents are being killed with a drug that starts with the letter p. there are no fantasy creatures, no spooky supernatural/paranormal happenings. The protagonist meets and falls in love with a man who is like a sheriff or forest ranger, something to so with preserving the area where they live. I read these books probably at least 15 years ago, and i dont believe they were new at that time. they were oversize paperbacks on the hardcover shelf of the library and from what I remember, the authors last name began with a letter on early part of the alphabet (a-d) judging by where I found them.

message 2: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 6 comments Pavulon is the name of the drug.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Let me make sure I understand> This is for adult readers, right? And it's not fantasy, the witchcraft is more like paganism? And the protagonist is a witch herself?

Ok are there other witches? Is Polly a witch?

Do you remember anything about the cover at all?

Did it take place in modern times, or historical times?

Do you have a sense of whether the books were popular, or the author well-known?

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Looks like the author was inspired by a true story:
http://www.nytimes.com/1988/02/10/nyr...

message 5: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 6 comments Yes it is modern. Polly is a witch who in one part used a glamour spell in some way. Not young adult but not at all racy or explicit. More like Wicca than the popularized concepts of witchcraft seen in a lot of the new things.

message 6: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 6 comments I am pretty sure it takes place in America.

message 7: by Kaion (last edited Jun 04, 2013 02:14PM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments Bewitching Mystery series, beginning with The Trouble With Magic by Madeline Alt?

If not, try this tag mash list: http://www.librarything.com/tag/myste...

I encourage all searchers to try librarything's tagmash engine; it's frequently been very helpful for me!

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Tx the for reminder, Kaion - I just tried it for something of personal interest and got a terrific list, we'll have to remember to use if regularly here!

message 9: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 6 comments Thanks :). I'm going to check that list!

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39359 comments Mod
Deanna, are you still looking for this series or did you find it?

message 11: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 6 comments I haven't found it.

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Deanna, if you bump your thread up periodically--like every 30 to 90 days--you'll have a better chance at getting your book found.

message 13: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5014 comments Here are a few to check out:
Witches' Bane
Ravenmocker

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Here's a bump for summer, come back in a couple of months and give it another, ok?

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 16: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Still looking?"

No response in 2+ yrs. Moving to Abandoned.