Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
This topic is about The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Wizard of Oz Discussion > Final Thoughts: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandra (sandraselvasv) | 47 comments I would've loved to see the tin man finding the munchkin girl he loved so much. And whatever happened to Oz?

What are your final thoughts of this book?

Did you like the ending?

Did you wanted the story to end differently?

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim (kadykayf) I've read the book numerous times in the past, most recently probably 10 years ago when I read nearly all 14 in Baum's Wonderland (there are even more written by others). My memories of it were that it was good, but not great. Reading it again, I realized how wonderful it actually is. I can see why I kept coming back to the sequels. Oz is a really engaging world.

I really liked the ending. I especially liked it that Oz wasn't dreamed up by Dorothy. It always bothered me that it's a dream in the movie version. Though I have to admit that the trip to Glinda sort of lost my attention. I love the characters(china dolls, hammer-heads, etc), but I really just wanted them to get to the point after Oz left. Perhaps this is also because of the movie (which I'm sure I watched before I read the book). I wanted Dorothy to go home immediately after Oz left like she did in the movie. I wonder how my reaction would differ had I never seen the movie.

Sandra (sandraselvasv) | 47 comments I feel the same way. Oz is a fantastical world, I really enjoyed the original characters, and I think I was a little biased because I watched the movie first too, but the book was wonderful. I liked to read that some elements were actually different in the book. I have only read this book three times, and the first time I read it I was 9. It's very interesting how my understanding of this story evolves within the years.

Theo | 116 comments I agree that the ending lost my interest when I read it. I think I'm probably biased by my love of the Judy Garland musical, but I thought that the movie did a better job with pacing the plot than the book did. Everything just seemed to take longer, and it bored me a little. I think I even remember a scene where the scarecrow has been waiting for so long and he just watches a spider build a web. I felt that way sometimes reading the book. In the movie the killing of the Wicked Witch of the West is the big climax, but in the book it just seems to happen and then they move on to the next part of the story.

message 5: by willaful (last edited Jun 06, 2013 06:59PM) (new)

willaful Sandra, the Tin Woodman does meet up with her again in The Tin Woodman of Oz, but it's not exactly romantic. :-) And we meet up with Oz again in Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz

I've never liked the first book as much as the sequels. It has a sort of fable-ish feel to it, while the other books, while fanciful and outlandish, feel more down to earth. Dorothy never feels real to me in the first book, but has a strong personality in all the others.

Sandra (sandraselvasv) | 47 comments Theo wrote: "I agree that the ending lost my interest when I read it. I think I'm probably biased by my love of the Judy Garland musical, but I thought that the movie did a better job with pacing the plot than ..."

I agree with you too Theo, the killing of the wicked witch was much more exciting and intriguing in the movie than in the book. Having watched the movie first, I kind of expected something similar, and a lot of situations weren't as exciting in the book as they were in film.

Sandra (sandraselvasv) | 47 comments willaful wrote: "Sandra, the Tin Woodman does meet up with her again in The Tin Woodman of Oz, but it's not exactly romantic. :-) And we meet up with Oz again in Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz

I've never liked the f..."

Oh, I've been dying to read the sequels you know? But I live in southern Mexico and it's kind of difficult to find some books (those included) I think I will probably read them on my kindle. And I would love to read about Dorothy's development in the other books, hopefully I'll be able to read them soon! Thanks! :)

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim (kadykayf) Theo wrote: "I agree that the ending lost my interest when I read it. I think I'm probably biased by my love of the Judy Garland musical, but I thought that the movie did a better job with pacing the plot than ..."

I wonder if this is really just an issue of the time period. The musical came decades later and the time period was much closer to our own. Perhaps the pacing would actually seem quick to readers at the time it was written. It would be interesting to know.

message 9: by willaful (new)

willaful Sandra wrote: " But I live in southern Mexico and it's kind of difficult to find some books (those included) I think I will probably read them on my kindle. "

I think they're all in the public domain, though the free digital copies aren't always the best quality.

Sandra (sandraselvasv) | 47 comments willaful wrote: "Sandra wrote: " But I live in southern Mexico and it's kind of difficult to find some books (those included) I think I will probably read them on my kindle. "

I think they're all in the public dom..."

Thank you, I will keep looking for them! x

message 11: by Rene (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rene (rlh77) I enjoyed the book!!! I was shocked by how different the movie and book were. I liked the lion in the movie bc of his comic relief! In the book though I loved the scarecrow bc he stepped up and solved all their problems!! Even though he claimed to not have a brain!!

The ending was unexpected! I was thinking that I was going to keep reading but then I was shocked how quick it ended!!! I enjoyed all of the adventures they had together and in the end Dorothy finds out that she could have been home the whole time by using the silver slippers, which I am still shocked that they are sliver instead if ruby red!!!

Sandra (sandraselvasv) | 47 comments Rene wrote: "I enjoyed the book!!! I was shocked by how different the movie and book were. I liked the lion in the movie bc of his comic relief! In the book though I loved the scarecrow bc he stepped up and sol..."

I know, I had to read that three times because I was still hoping to read about the ruby red slippers, so I was shocked with them being silver.

Don't know if I like the movie better or if I prefer the book. Both are unique in their own way. But I do love the both!!

message 13: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
This is my first time reading The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz. Shocking! I am so glad I read it. It really is a wonderful tale. Full of great characters and plots. Baum creates a wonderful world. I will for sure be carrying onto the other novels in the series.

I am glad too that in the book Oz is not a dream. I can't stand when books/movies do that. You go the whole way only to find out it was all fake! The silver shoes in the book/red shoes in the movie has always bothered me too. I guess it was because they were trying to make use out of the movie being in color.

The Wicked Witch of the West is clearly not a big villain like in the movie. In the movie we know she is chasing Dorthy the whole time. The monkeys are EVIL and scary. In the book they were so friendly and just really wanted to be freed. I really enjoyed finding out their back story.

I did think the story ended a little abrupt. Was a series planned? Or did the author just want to write this one book? One thing I LOVE LOVE about the movie is that Kansas is in black and white and OZ is in color. Very very clever!

message 14: by Christine (last edited Jun 14, 2013 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christine | 147 comments I read this book some time ago but here's my review:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I would highly recommend going on to read the rest of the books because they are so good in their own special way! The next one I need to read is #7, The Patchwork Girl of Oz The Patchwork Girl of Oz by L. Frank Baum
The rest of the books really make you hate how people think they know The Wizard of Oz just because they saw the movie, and how totally and completely Oz: The Great and Powerful ruined the books and was completely inaccurate. L. Frank Baum would have a heart attack if he saw that movie.

message 15: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim (kadykayf) Marie wrote: "The rest of the books really make you hate how people think they know The Wizard of Oz just because they saw the movie, and how totally and completely Oz: The Great and Powerful ruined the books and was completely inaccurate. L. Frank Baum would have a heart attack if he saw that movie..."

Your comment actually reminded me of this article:
http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/03/14...
A very interesting read from Ms. Magazine's blog.

message 16: by willaful (new)

willaful I'm with you, Marie!

message 17: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

What do you guys think of the political aspects of the book? the yellow brick road representing the gold standard leading to a green palace, representing the American dollar, that is being lorded over by a greedy and deluded politician; and silver, Dorothy's shoes, being more powerful than gold or the dollar, etc. I do know that Baum never said this had anything to do with politics but some people speculate that it is. Did you think it was symbolic that the Cowardly Lion destroys the church in China Town? I thought that was a big red flag about a Baum's take on religion.

I wish I listened to the audio of this book. Anna Hathaway reads it and I love her so I would love to hear her read it. Also this is pretty fun to read: http://www.cracked.com/article_18881_...

message 18: by Gothology (new)

Gothology | 1 comments "I would've loved to see the tin man finding the munchkin girl he loved so much. And whatever happened to Oz?

ikr the yellow brick road in my mind was basically the gold brick road i think its very weird how people see the movie and then read the book. the book is tottaly better

message 19: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Raissa wrote: ""I would've loved to see the tin man finding the munchkin girl he loved so much. And whatever happened to Oz?

ikr the yellow brick road in my mind was basically the gold brick road i think its ver..."

I forgot about the Yellow Brick road. In the book it sounds like it's a mess. Grass growing in it, pieces broken off. In the movie it looks so beautiful and perfect.

message 20: by LAWonder10 (new)

LAWonder10 | 1 comments I never read the Oz books but loved the movie.
I think the lessons learned were very good for all people to think about.

message 21: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 1 comments I think for me the Wizard of Oz books were a real treasure to any child. It gave them the first opportunity to use their imagination in creating a world in which they could insert themselves into a setting of their own choosing. There is nothing more powerful than having a child who loves to read tell you what worlds they have made up. Absolutely wonderful!

Christine | 147 comments @ Kim

Thanks for showing me that article I completely agree!! Someone finally gets it!