Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
This topic is about The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Wizard of Oz Discussion > Initial Thoughts: The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (last edited Jun 01, 2013 10:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sandra (sandraselvasv) | 47 comments Hello there! May ended and June is just beginning, and this means that we have a new book to read this month: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum.

This is a classic so many of you might have already read it. It doesn't matter if you have or not, I wanna know your initial thoughts about it.

How you're liking it so far?

No spoilers please!

message 2: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I will be picking up my book from the library tomorrow!!!

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim (kadykayf) Sandra wrote: "Hello there! May ended and June is just beginning, and this means that we have a new book to read this month: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum.

This is a classic so many of you might ha..."

I've read it multiple times before, but this time, I read the first 4 chapters with my four year old niece. She was so mesmerized. I'm not sure she actually understood a lot of the language, but she sure wanted to keep hearing us read it.

I have to say that I find it so much better than the movie. The movie is great, but it's really missing the charm of the book.

Theo | 116 comments I read it back in August because I've seen the Judy Garland movie too many times to count, I also enjoyed The Wiz, and I'd even read Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, so I figured I should read the original source material.

It was interested to read it while looking for those elements that have so enraptured generations of readers.

message 5: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ohhh... this makes me think... what is everyone's favorite Wizard of Oz retellings???

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Theo wrote: "I read it back in August because I've seen the Judy Garland movie too many times to count, I also enjoyed The Wiz, and I'd even read Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, so I..."

There are so many adaptations of this book it's crazy. I love the movie The Wizard of Oz (which is going to be remastered and released in IMAX in September). Fantastic job. I saw the sequel to the movie once as a kid and I remember being SCARED of it. I want to watch it again and see why. I just remember someone switching heads. I read Wicked and didn't love it... but I did go to the Broadway show Wicked and that is soooooo good! There are now some graphic novels out about OZ http://www.goodreads.com/series/77696... And of course we all know about the movie that came out this year Oz the Great and Powerful. I saw that a lot of people didn't care for that movie but I loved it. And it was perfect in IMAX. There is also going to be a movie called Dorthy of OZ which I think was supposed to come out this year but is now coming out next year.. http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/9/4/a...

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim (kadykayf) Angie wrote: "Ohhh... this makes me think... what is everyone's favorite Wizard of Oz retellings???"

I love Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West and I like the musical based on it too (though it's very different from the book).

I've also been rather partial to Return to Oz. It's sort of twisted, but it was something I really enjoyed as a kid.