Books on the Nightstand discussion

What are you reading JUNE 2013?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 186 (186 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kats (new)

Kats (kats1) | 134 comments I feel compelled to start this thread, if only to type out JUNE 2013.... otherwise it would be impossible for me to believe that it's officially the first of the summer months.... as we're suffering November weather for about the sixth week in a row! Right now, it's 8°C and it has been raining cats and dogs for almost 48 hours.... the landslides, mudslides and floods all over Switzerland already started this morning. :-(

Ah bon, at least it's perfect weather for reading!

So, I am going to keep trying to fall in love with A Constellation of Vital Phenomena which I'm listening to on audio. My print book is The Realm of Last Chances by the outstanding Steve Yarbrough, and the e-book I'm going to start is The Case of the Missing Servant by Tarquin Hall.

What is everyone else reading this month?

message 2: by Antonia (new)

Antonia (toniclark) | 70 comments I have just a few more pages left of Cutting for Stone, a book I kept postponing because it's so long. It's a wonderful read. (I'm a medical writer by day, so I'm loving this one.}

message 3: by Junek (last edited Jun 01, 2013 04:49PM) (new)

Junek | 44 comments I have at long last the very powerful novel "A Fine Balance" by Rohinston Mistry, my latest is "Sharp Objects" by Gillian Flynn, so far she has me hooked.

message 4: by Antonia (new)

Antonia (toniclark) | 70 comments Hmmm.... I'm pretty sure I read a novel by Mistry years ago. Not that one, though. Good to know about A Fine Balance.

message 5: by Sally (new)

Sally (nana9596) | 31 comments I am reading Inferno - I like it, but so hard to read something after And The Mountains Echoed (which I loved).

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2764 comments Mod
Sally wrote: "I am reading Inferno - I like it, but so hard to read something after And The Mountains Echoed (which I loved)."

I'm the reverse. I'm halfway through Inferno Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4) by Dan Brown and when I'm done with that, I'm moving on to And the Mountains Echoed And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini both of which are library books due next week.

I'm listening to The Art of Hearing Heartbeats The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker

message 7: by Antonia (last edited Jun 01, 2013 06:21PM) (new)

Antonia (toniclark) | 70 comments Finished Cutting for Stone (wonderful!) and am now starting The Paris Wife.

message 8: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments I finished Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald and Birds of a Lesser Paradise: Stories (which is possibly the best short story collection I've ever read) at the beach yesterday, and while I became a bit of a lobster in the process, it was a great reading day. I also started Ender's Game, which is much darker than I expected going in. It's one of my husband's favorite books of all time, and I can see why.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 01, 2013 08:56PM) (new)

I've created a personal challenge to read forty books this summer (starting last week-end and ending Labor Day week-end.) So far I've read:

01. The Little Book (by Selden Edwards);
02. Sarah, Plain and Tall (by Patricia MacLachlan);
03. The Freedom Maze (by Delia Sherman; narrated by Robin Miles);
04. Timeless (by Gail Carringer);
05. Fake Mustache (by Tom Angleberger);
06. Ex-Patriots (by Peter Clines);

and I'll be wrapping up The Art of Hearing Heartbeats (by Jan-Philipp Sendker) this week-end :-)

message 10: by PrimalAwakening (new)

PrimalAwakening | 26 comments Hi all!

I just finished Home by Toni Morrison (No further comment needed)
I'm currently reading The Wall by William Sutcliffe(An interesting story. If you liked Boneshaker by Cherie Priest you'll probably enjoy this one)
I'm just about to hopefully get my hands on A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Happy Reading!

message 11: by Eric (last edited Jun 02, 2013 07:10AM) (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Although I have been reading Joe Hill's comic book series "Locke and Key" for several years (loving the hell out of it and raving about it, as a matter of fact), this is the first prose novel of his that I've read.

It's a zippy, fast moving horror/fantasy novel. I was entertained by it.

Here's the thing: for a guy who went so far to distance himself from his famous father, Stephen King (Joe Hill's full name is Joe Hillstrom King), he really goes all out in this book to remind people that he's his father's son. One or both of two things is true: 1) This story is so derivative of King's work that it reads like almost a pastiche, and/or 2) Joe is marking out his territory as King's heir; telling us that he'll be continuing the legacy should the old man retire or depart.

This story has the following elements:

1) An evil car (think "Christine")
2) A Saint Bernard dog (think "Cujo", although the dog here is a gentle giant)
3) An alternate world American landscape (think "The Talisman")
4) Some people with a bit of the "Shining" to them
5) Charles Talent Manx, a bad guy who is equal parts Barlow and Randall Flagg
6) The Gasmask Man, who is very similar to Trashcan Man from "The Stand".
7) A lot of folksy Americanisms such as "King Shit of Turd Mountain".
8) Mentions of Derry and Castle Rock
9) Intimations that Manx and the Gasmask Man may actually be alternate incarnations of King's villains. Manx exhibits an empty "dark hilarity", like Flagg, and the Gasmask Man pledges, "My life for you!", like Donald Merwin Elbert, the Trashcan Man. Certainly the idea of a multiverse where certain characters exist in many incarnations is a staple of King's work.

One thing I liked was the idea that, contrary to many stories that paint children as good and innocent and adults as corrupt, Hill paints the opposite picture: children are selfish and are concerned with their own sense of fun. They haven't yet developed the empathy that comes with the denial of immediate gratification and striving. I tend to agree with this view more than the typical view of children as unspoiled and good. I believe that we become good, if at all, as we grow toward adulthood.

I was going back and forth as to whether to dock it to three stars for being derivative, or to give it four for just being flat out entertaining. I decided to go with four, but after this book, Joe might well just consider calling himself Joe King.

message 12: by Victoria (last edited Jun 02, 2013 04:10PM) (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 366 comments Ok, before I butchered my quoting when I posted earlier, I was going to say that Linda and I seem to be simpatico at the moment. I am about 3/4 done with Inferno, and have And the Mountains Echoed on my hold list at the library, due to me in a few weeks. I noticed how many people were mentioning Cutting for Stone and I was getting it confused with House of Stone: A Memoir of Home, Family, and a Lost Middle East, which I also have started. I don't think I'm going to finish it though, I just can't get into it. I think I have the excerpt from Cutting for Stone on my Kindle somewhere and I can't remember if I read that or not. I'll have to go look at it again.

message 13: by Marly (new)

Marly | 152 comments I just finished Wonder by R.J. Palacio and I loved it! Loved the many quotes in the book, especially “Kinder than is necessary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed.”
I'm still reading How to Kill a Rock Star by Tiffanie DeBartolo and I'm still loving it, I have not had time to get back to it.
Next up is either And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini or Life After Life by Kate Atkinson . Now to get back to my weeding, not reading, yet!

message 14: by Tracey (new)

Tracey S (trendytracey1) | 17 comments Reading Goddess (Starcrossed, #3) by Josephine Angelini and loving it - also on the list for this month are The Redemption of Alexander Seaton (Alexander Seaton, #1) by Shona MacLean and Please Look After Mom by Kyung-Sook Shin for bookclubs and The Public Image by Muriel Spark

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) | 494 comments just finished a May holdover, Roses by Leila Meacham & starting an advanced copy of The Lemon Orchard by Luanne Rice , which was a gift..

message 16: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 01, 2013 06:22PM) (new)

message 17: by Chanda2426 (new)

Chanda2426 | 136 comments Eric wrote: "NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Although I have been reading Joe Hill's comic book series "Locke and Key" for several years (loving the hell out of it and raving about it, as a matter of fact), this i..."

I read the advance copy of NOS4A2 and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a bit long and I agree, he is his father's son. The ending is even a bit King-esque. The writing is well done and he can weave a tale like his daddy. Definitely the heir to the throne.

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 3 comments Finally seeing what all the fuss is about. I'm reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn .

message 19: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) | 494 comments Chanda2426 wrote: "Eric wrote: "NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Although I have been reading Joe Hill's comic book series "Locke and Key" for several years (loving the hell out of it and raving about it, as a matter of ..."

I have this next on my list!

message 20: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments Finished Ender's Game, which was very good and very quick. I've decided to now go back to the Eisenhower biography that I put down several months ago (Eisenhower in War and Peace). It's really so good and well written. I think that after this, I'm going to start doing the presidential biographies in order, rather than skipping around.

message 21: by Julie (last edited Jun 03, 2013 08:57AM) (new)

Julie M (woolyjooly) | 270 comments I started and finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green already this month. Oh. My. Stars! Definitely a must-read for everyone here. Best of 2013 for me, so far.

message 22: by Linda (new)

Callie wrote: "Finished Ender's Game, which was very good and very quick. I've decided to now go back to the Eisenhower biography that I put down several months ago (Eisenhower in War and Peace). It's really so g..."

Funny, Callie, my husband and I watched Lincoln last night and I thought, "I need to read Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, which the movie is based on, I should read books about all the presidents."

I own Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln and Truman and probably quite a few more since history/biography reading was my first love.

Started And the Mountains Echoed And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini this morning. Excellent start.

message 23: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments Linda wrote: "Callie wrote: "Finished Ender's Game, which was very good and very quick. I've decided to now go back to the Eisenhower biography that I put down several months ago (Eisenhower in War and Peace). I..."

Linda, I got a stack at Northshire on Bill's recommendations last year. All I said was, "I'm thinking about reading biographies of all the presidents..." and like an hour later, I had more than I could carry. It was fantastic.

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy | 463 comments June = VACATION!! I am currently reading 2 books I hope to finish before I leave next weekend, On Sal Mal Lane(Booktopia #2 challenge) and The Fast Diet: The Simple Secret of Intermittent Fasting: Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer (hoping to lost a few pounds, and probably should have started a month ago before vacation).

Coming with me on vacation next week (don't judge, I like either light stuff or suspense novels on vacation) are I've Got Your Number, Reconstructing Amelia, Summer Rental, Off the Menu, and The Kissing List.

Challenges for the month...
Oldest TBR (2010): Fire Underground: The Ongoing Tragedy of the Centralia Mine Fire
Oldest TBR on my bookshelf: Homecoming
Book with the month's number in it: The Sixes
Newly published in current month: The Astronaut Wives Club: A True Story
Random: The Shadow of the Wind
Booktopia 2: The Enchanted Life of Adam Hope: A Novel, and The Art of Hearing Heartbeats.

And I am listening to Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls from Audible. Next up would be The Good Nurse: A True Story of Medicine, Madness, and Murder.

If I have any extra time (HA!), The Dinner and Inferno are top choices, followed by Flight Behavior, The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun, and Vampires in the Lemon Grove: Stories. Sadly, these have been "runner-ups" for the last few months and just can't get to them after I finish my challenges, book club selections, etc. And I am sure all of the requests I made for books at the library while researching my new release challenge book for the month will all come in at the same time at the end of June.

On Sal Mal Lane by Ru Freeman The Fast Diet The Simple Secret of Intermittent Fasting Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer by Michael Mosley I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews Off the Menu by Stacey Ballis The Kissing List by Stephanie Reents Fire Underground The Ongoing Tragedy of the Centralia Mine Fire by David DeKok Homecoming by Bernhard Schlink The Sixes by Kate White The Astronaut Wives Club A True Story by Lily Koppel The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón The Enchanted Life of Adam Hope A Novel by Rhonda Riley The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris The Good Nurse A True Story of Medicine, Madness, and Murder by Charles Graeber
The Dinner by Herman Koch Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4) by Dan Brown Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver The Happiness Project Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun by Gretchen Rubin Vampires in the Lemon Grove Stories by Karen Russell .

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Callie wrote: "I think that after this, I'm going to start doing the presidential biographies in order, rather than skipping around."

You know, it's funny that you would mention this! I've had something like that in mind for a couple of years and never got a Presidential Challenge started. I have had Ron Chernow's Washington: A Life (narrated by Scott Brick) sitting on deck for two years now! What do you have on tap for George Washington? Even if we're not reading the same books, maybe we could "travel" together though the presidential timeline :-)

message 26: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon (raejs) | 23 comments Tanya/dog eared copy wrote: "I've created a personal challenge to read forty books this summer (starting last week-end and ending Labor Day week-end.) So far I've read:

01. The Little Book (by Selden Edwards);
02. Sarah, Plai..."

WOW!...forty books during the summer! How do you get thru so many? I'll be lucky if I get forty read this entire year (and that includes audiobooks). That's awesome...good luck!

message 27: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon (raejs) | 23 comments I'm still working my way thru Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead. I'm about to start The Angel's Game for my book group this month. Not sure what my audible pick is going to be...nothing's striking my interest right now. Thinking about Inferno but not sure.

Lean In Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg The Angel's Game (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #2) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

message 28: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments Tanya/dog eared copy wrote: "Callie wrote: "I think that after this, I'm going to start doing the presidential biographies in order, rather than skipping around."

You know, it's funny that you would mention this! I've had som..."

I have 2 GW's on my list, the Chernow, and His Excellency: George Washington, which Bill raved about last year. I could do either, although I would love to finish the Eisenhower first.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Callie wrote: "I have 2 GW's on my list, the Chernow, and His Excellency: George Washington, which Bill raved about last year. I could do either, although I would love to finish the Eisenhower first. "

LOL, I'm in no rush! Whenever you get around to GW, just send out a heads up :-)

message 30: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Amy wrote: "Challenges for the month...
Oldest TBR (2010): Fire Underground: The Ongoing Tragedy of the Centralia Mine Fire"

Amy, we went to Centralia this past April. We didn't quite find our way into the town, since we had the kids with us and the dirt paths in were very muddy and I was a bit nervous. But we drove around the outer perimeter of the town. I'd like to go back and explore with just my husband.

message 31: by Kalen (new)

Kalen | 218 comments Yesterday I read Boy in the Striped Pajamas which, the more I think about it, I disliked. I am now reading Elliott Holt's You Are One of Them and liking it a lot.

message 32: by Linda (new)

Kalen wrote: "Yesterday I read Boy in the Striped Pajamas which, the more I think about it, I disliked. I am now reading Elliott Holt's You Are One of Them and liking it a lot."

Oh? Why, Kalen? I thought it was a powerful book, a cautionary tale. I hesitate to say that I liked the book because of the subject matter, but I was completely involved in that book.

Perhaps you felt manipulated?

message 33: by Linda (last edited Jun 03, 2013 05:20PM) (new)

And the Mountains Echoed And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

I started this morning. I love the way this started. Tell me a story, Khaled.

message 34: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments Linda wrote: "And the Mountains Echoed And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

I started this morning. I love the way this started. Tell me a story, Khaled."

Like!

message 35: by Kalen (new)

Kalen | 218 comments Linda wrote: "Kalen wrote: "Yesterday I read Boy in the Striped Pajamas which, the more I think about it, I disliked. I am now reading Elliott Holt's You Are One of Them and liking it a lot."

Oh? Why, Kalen? I ..."

Manipulated and it didn't feel real. I was okay with it until near the end--the scene in the kitchen. Then, downhill. Seems that this book gets five stars or one--there is little in between!

message 36: by sara keleny (new)

sara keleny | 26 comments I just started The Alchemist. It has been on my TBR list forever.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

message 37: by Chanda2426 (new)

Chanda2426 | 136 comments Julie wrote: "I started and finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green already this month. Oh. My. Stars! Definitely a must-read for everyone here. Best of 2013 for me, so far."

On my To Read list!

message 38: by Chanda2426 (new)

Chanda2426 | 136 comments I just started Those We Love Most by Lee Woodruff. It's sad but a well-written poignant read. While the subject is disturbing, the writing more than makes up for it! I can't wait to pick up Stephen King's Joyland and Patricia Volk's Shocked! So many great books, so little time!!!

message 39: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ I finished And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini And the Mountains Echoed and I'm still processing the story.

I am now reading The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult The Storyteller which is due at the end of the week and I'm not sure I'll have time to finish.

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy | 463 comments Ann wrote: "Amy, we went to Centralia this past April. We didn't quite find our way..."

I am hoping to visit with my husband too in the future. I am strangely fascinated by things like this and would happily let them dictate my vacation schedule :)

message 41: by Readnponder (new)

Readnponder | 125 comments Julie, I read "The Fault in Our Stars" last year. It has stuck with me ever since. In a couple weeks I will be in Amsterdam for the first time. (Just a one day layover.) I hope to visit the Anne Frank house and will be thinking about "Fault in Our Stars" while walking the city streets.

message 42: by Heather (new)

Heather (hmcgivney) | 35 comments I'm reading Flight of Passage: A True Story by Rinker Buck which is a great memoir about the author's flight across the USA in 1966 with his brother in a Piper Cub (Rinker was 15, his brother Kern was 17). I don't know much about aviation, but I'm enjoying the adventure and the sibling relationship.

However, I've started a mental drinking game because Buck seems to use some derivation of the word "barnstorming" in every other paragraph. I'm not letting it bother me, but I have to wonder if there isn't an alternate word he could have used occasionally to mix it up...

message 43: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) I finished Case Histories which I really enjoyed. I loved the main character Jackson Brodie so I will try to continue the series.

message 44: by Chanda2426 (new)

Chanda2426 | 136 comments I just finished Those We Love Most by Lee Woodruff and am preparing to start Stephen King's Joyland. I am so excited for a new King novel, especially after reading Joe Hill's NOS4A2. I hope the old man still has it!!!

message 45: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) | 494 comments Chanda2426 wrote: "I just finished Those We Love Most by Lee Woodruff and am preparing to start Stephen King's Joyland. I am so excited for a new King novel, especially after reading Joe Hill's NOS4A2. I hope the old..."

My next 2 books-after I finish a Sword of Storms LOL

Joyland & NOS4A2

message 46: by Chanda2426 (new)

Chanda2426 | 136 comments Becky-NOS4A2 was amazing!! I hope Joyland is as well. Let me know what you think about it! Hill's definitely a chip off the ole block!!

message 47: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) | 494 comments Chanda2426 wrote: "Becky-NOS4A2 was amazing!! I hope Joyland is as well. Let me know what you think about it! Hill's definitely a chip off the ole block!!"

I really like Heart Shaped Box

message 48: by Marion (new)

Marion Hill (kammbia1) I just started reading The Power And The Glory by Graham Greene. I've been wanting to read this modern classic for years. Now I am! LOL!

Marion

message 49: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth A (kisiwa) | 193 comments Just finished Lonesome Dove, and loved it. Not sure I can even read anything else for a bit. My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 50: by Jan (new)

Jan | 100 comments Reading "A Constellation of Vital Phenomena." wow!

« previous 1 3 4