Literary Exploration discussion

General Discussions > Please Help - Need Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 5 comments Language, as much as it is a means of free expression, has also been a tool for repression. The structuring of language in a particular way is symptomatic of the power relations within any society - and it has repercussions way beyond the era. Language is also a tool for manipulation, systematic brainwashing and a means of gaining control over those who have been silenced.

With this view in mind, can anyone suggest books/articles regarding this topic (preferably academic ones) - how language is used as a tool for marginalizing women (whether or not its emphasis is on sci-fi)?

Even if you cannot think of any books, simply names of theorists/authors who have dealt with this issue too will be of great help.

I am familiar with the works of Cultural Studies theorists, psychoanalysts, Marxists and feminists (not necessarily in the same order) like Jacques Lacan, Louis Althusser, Antonio Gramsci, Simone de Beauvoir, Michel Foucault and Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak in this respect and am searching for similar works.

Freudian theory is out of bounds due to its supposed patriarchal/phallic roots, so I'd appreciate the works of his and Lacan's successors.

Also I'd be grateful to be recommended works on Marxist theory with reference to Gender on the lines of the works of Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak - a postmodern Marxist feminist - to be precise.

More specifically, I'd like works with postmodernist leanings - but even modernist ones are okay. The request is put forward in order to help me with my research so if anybody is familiar with critical works on the subject of gender and language in sci-fi/cyberpunk/feminist sci-fi/feminist cyberpunk, it would be absolutely wonderful.

Thanks.

message 2: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 10 comments I have not read, but its my understanding that Margaret Atwood's book The Handmaid's Tale is one.

message 3: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 5 comments Yes, it is, but it is fiction, rather than a research work :(

message 4: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) Silences by Tillie Olsen is an excellent study of the social forces that prevent women from writing. It's still one of my favorite non-fiction books.