Womankind Worldwide Book Group discussion

Please Help - Need Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 94 comments Language, as much as it is a means of free expression, has also been a tool for repression. The structuring of language in a particular way is symptomatic of the power relations within any society - and it has repercussions way beyond the era. Language is also a tool for manipulation, systematic brainwashing and a means of gaining control over those who have been silenced.

With this view in mind, can anyone suggest books/articles regarding this topic (preferably academic ones) - how language is used as a tool for marginalizing women (whether or not its emphasis is on sci-fi)?

Even if you cannot think of any books, simply names of theorists/authors who have dealt with this issue too will be of great help.

I am familiar with the works of Cultural Studies theorists, psychoanalysts, Marxists and feminists (not necessarily in the same order) like Jacques Lacan, Louis Althusser, Antonio Gramsci, Simone de Beauvoir, Michel Foucault and Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak in this respect and am searching for similar works.

Freudian theory is out of bounds due to its supposed patriarchal/phallic roots, so I'd appreciate the works of his and Lacan's successors.

Also I'd be grateful to be recommended works on Marxist theory with reference to Gender on the lines of the works of Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak - a postmodern Marxist feminist - to be precise.

More specifically, I'd like works with postmodernist leanings - but even modernist ones are okay. The request is put forward in order to help me with my research so if anybody is familiar with critical works on the subject of gender and language in sci-fi/cyberpunk/feminist sci-fi/feminist cyberpunk, it would be absolutely wonderful.

Thanks.

message 2: by Bliss (new)

Bliss | 2 comments Lit Bug, you might want to look at some of the writing by feminists in the 1960/1970s. It's mostly popular writing aimed at showing people how language is used to marginalize women - referring to secretaries as girls for example. I don't think it's as academically rigorous as you are looking for but it may open some pathways for you.

message 3: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 94 comments Thank you, I'll certainly look into that - in fact I have referred to some of the writings of that era, and have benefited from that. Yes, they are not academic in that sense, but they are the foundation on which later critiques of language and gender roles are based.

Thank you :)

message 4: by Red (new)

Red Kempf (reddelishus) | 4 comments I first read this book for my Social Psychology class in college, then I met the author and it is wonderful.
Cunt A Declaration of Independence by Inga Muscio
Cunt: A Declaration of Independence

message 5: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 94 comments Thank you! Will look it up...

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Lilly | 20 comments Have you read Catharine MacKinnon? I recommend Only Words.

http://www.amazon.com/Only-Words-Cath...

message 7: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 94 comments I haven't! Thanks for the reco, I'll definitely look it up :)

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca O'Donnell (RebeccaODonnell) | 3 comments Anne of Grren Gables
Jane Eyre
The Screwtape Letters ( manipulation)
The Secret Messages of Water
The Glass Castle
The Mists of Avalon
David Copperfield for what the aunt says to David's vicious stepfather...something like "Smooth as silk you were...and when you were sure of her, you began to mold her, to break her, tormenting her through her own child, giving her wounds until she died of them."

My own dad told me I would "never be anything but a parasite on a man, like every other woman." He and my husband both had a terrible empathy, knowing exactly how to cause the most damage to a person.

message 9: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 94 comments Rebecca wrote: "Anne of Grren Gables
Jane Eyre
The Screwtape Letters ( manipulation)
The Secret Messages of Water
The Glass Castle
The Mists of Avalon
David Copperfield for what the aunt says to David's vicious st..."

Thank you for the recos, but as of now, I'm looking for academic research works rather than fiction.

It's a sorry state that women are still made to feel guilty for existing - and it's worse when women behave as independent entities, it is like committing a sacrilege. From my Third World Country female citizen perspective, I know how it feels to be marginalized.

message 10: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 94 comments Though I've been lucky not to have faced all that crap about women being a burden on men.

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane Lefer | 32 comments LitBug, I have a wonderful paper by anthropologist M.G. Hardman, "Gender through the Levels," originally published some decades ago in Women and Language. It's about linguistic postulates and gender. I don't see a way to attach a PDF here, but if you'd like to read it, please email me at DianeLefer@gmail.com and I'll send it to you.

message 12: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 94 comments Diane wrote: "LitBug, I have a wonderful paper by anthropologist M.G. Hardman, "Gender through the Levels," originally published some decades ago in Women and Language. It's about linguistic postulates and gende..."

Thank you Diane for pointing that out, I just searched the Web and it came up immediately in the search engine - so I have it with me now :)

I hadn't heard of it before, and I hope I'll be able to use it some way in my work. Thank you!

message 13: by Vicky (new)

Vicky Pinpin-Feinstein (vickypf) | 8 comments Hello Litbug, Interesting research topic. While I am familiar with the authors you have mentioned, I was a little curious in your postulation re how language marginalized women. Perhaps a way to analyze how language does that is to look at readings that on the surface, are feminist attempts to empower themselves and by doing so, you would be able to understand to some extent how language have marginalized them. For example, when I was researching a book that I was writing, I ran into a book called Wall Tappings: Women's Prison Writings from 200 A.D. to the Present, edited by Judith Scheffler. If you read through the various articles, you may find something worth noting about language and women. Some of these are poems, essays, book excerpts, etc. Hope this is helpful.

message 14: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 94 comments Thank you Vicky, yes I'm taking that very approach you mentioned, and needed academic references to validate my findings. I will look through the book you mention, it sounds very interesting :)

message 15: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Lukas | 9 comments Diane wrote: "LitBug, I have a wonderful paper by anthropologist M.G. Hardman, "Gender through the Levels," originally published some decades ago in Women and Language. It's about linguistic postulates and gende..."

Diane, I would also love a copy of that paper!!! is that possible?

Thanks in advance,
Margaret

message 16: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Lukas | 9 comments Lit Bug wrote: "Thank you Vicky, yes I'm taking that very approach you mentioned, and needed academic references to validate my findings. I will look through the book you mention, it sounds very interesting :)"

Lit Bug, have you read Wickedary, by Mary Daly? It's a dictionary of words, how they are male in origin and her changing them to female. Not terrible academic, but terrible fun and thought-inspiring.

message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane Lefer | 32 comments Margaret wrote: "Diane wrote: "LitBug, I have a wonderful paper by anthropologist M.G. Hardman, "Gender through the Levels," originally published some decades ago in Women and Language. It's about linguistic postul..."

Margaret, please send me your personal email so I can send you the attachment. I'm at DianeLefer@gmail.com

message 18: by Diane (new)

Diane Lefer | 32 comments Margaret wrote: "Diane wrote: "LitBug, I have a wonderful paper by anthropologist M.G. Hardman, "Gender through the Levels," originally published some decades ago in Women and Language. It's about linguistic postul..."

Hello again, Margaret. Did you get my message? I'd love to see you the article but still don't have an address to send it to. ? Happy New Year.

message 19: by Diane (new)

Diane Lefer | 32 comments I meant "SEND" you the article!

message 20: by Momo (new)

Momo Re: paper by anthropologist M.G. Hardman, "Gender through the Levels,"

Diane, I would also love a copy of that paper!

Thanks in advance,
MoMo
momodragaon-spy@yahoo.com

message 21: by Diane (new)

Diane Lefer | 32 comments Momo, I tried to send it to you and got
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain