Literary Exploration discussion

What Are You Reading > What are you reading - June 2013

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
This month I'm planning to read The Last Whisper in the Dark, What Was She Thinking? Notes on a Scandal , Tropic of Cancer, and Snow Crash. After know we shall see. What are you planning to read this month

message 2: by M.L. (last edited Jun 02, 2013 10:02AM) (new)

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 63 comments THE ORCHADIST, HERE IF YOU NEED ME, SOLARIS, MAJOR PETTIGREW'S LAST STAND

message 6: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V I am reading Chimamanda Adichie's 'Half of a yellow sun'. I watch her TED talk again and again, it is so inspirational.

message 7: by Claire (last edited Jun 02, 2013 07:47PM) (new)

Claire | 2 comments I'm readingKing Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table love it so far. I also just picked up a vintage version of 'Even Cowgirls Get the Blues' by Tom Robbins. Never read anything by him but have always been told i should check him out. Super pumped:--)

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa O'Rourke | 21 comments Just finished The Examined Life.... Intriguing

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Willis I'm currently reading Richard Wright's Black Boy, Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey, and Vampires in the Lemon Grove: Stories by Karen Russell.

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim Michael wrote: "This month I'm planning to read The Last Whisper in the Dark, What Was She Thinking? Notes on a Scandal , Tropic of Cancer, and Snow Crash. After know we shall see. What are you planning to read t..."

No club books?

I'll be reading The Dud Avocado, Grifter's Game, Little, Big, Among Others and Suldrun's Garden.

I'm also going to read The Neverending Story if I can find a copy at my local secondhand store.

message 11: by Claire (new)

Claire | 2 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm currently reading Richard Wright's Black Boy, Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey, and Vampires in the Lemon Grove: Stories by Karen Russell."

hows 'sometimes a great notion'?? i almost picked that up! I read 'Electric Koolaid Acid test' by Tom Wolfe as a kid, all about the Merry Pranksters and Ken Kesey and 'One flew over the Cuckoos Nest' but never checked any of his other stuff out. curious.

Claire

message 12: by Melissa H (new)

Melissa H | 36 comments I'm reading Things Fall Apart, A Void, The Castle of Otranto, and Murder in the Dark: Short Fictions and Prose Poems. I read this month's book selection about two months ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

message 13: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "Michael wrote: "This month I'm planning to read The Last Whisper in the Dark, What Was She Thinking? Notes on a Scandal , Tropic of Cancer, and Snow Crash. After know we shall see. What are you pl..."

Of course the book club books, but I thought people would know I planned to read them

message 14: by Franky (new)

Franky Just finished Me Talk Pretty One Day and right now I'm reading Murder on the Orient Express and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. After that, I'll read some of the other book club reads: Grifter's Game, The Dud Avocado.

message 15: by Lorilee (new)

Lorilee (lthomas74) I am reading Ragtime and then The Interestings.

message 16: by JoBerlin (new)

JoBerlin Oh Ragtime! One of my all-time-favs. I love Doctorow. Have you read "Homer&Langley"?

message 17: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Bonelli (lynnbonelli) | 7 comments Franky wrote: "Just finished Me Talk Pretty One Day and right now I'm reading Murder on the Orient Express and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. After that, I'll read some of the other book club reads: Grifter'..."

Love, love, love Me Talk Pretty One Day! Funny, I just downloaded The Adventures of Huckleberry Fin and am contemplating Mark Twain's Autobiography.

message 18: by Franky (new)

Franky Lynn, I thought Sedaris' humor would be right up my ally (sarcastic, cynical, etc), but I found him more and more annoying as the book went on, sort of like a stand up routine that runs out of steam. Glad you loved it though.

Huck Finn, one of my favorites!

message 19: by Lorilee (new)

Lorilee (lthomas74) This is my first Doctorow. It has been on my list forever. Now I have to add Homer & Langley. Thanks!

message 21: by Philippa (new)

Philippa | 100 comments I'm currently reading State of Wonder, which I've found to be surprisingly accessible. I think because I've seen Bel Canto and Ann Patchett on so many "serious" literary/contemporary lists I was expecting it to be quite a serious, heavy read but it's not at all, it's just well written. I'm not following any group reads at all this year, unless it coincides with something I already have a copy of. I moved (again) at the end of last year and packed and unpacked boxes of books I haven't read yet, so this year I'm not buying books to try and combat my TBR!

message 22: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia | 1 comments I'm currently reading Diana: The Goddess Who Hunts Alone by Carlos Fuentes and a surreal book Cronopios and Famas by Julio Cortazar.
Planning to start reading The Dud Avocado.

message 23: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) I am just about to start "One Hundred Years of Solitude", which I'm really looking forward to. I'm also reading "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and Through the Looking Glass".

message 24: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V During this one month summer vacation I've happily read whatever has taken my fancy without worrying whether I was carrying on with the Insane Challenge.
1)Watchers of time : Charles Todd
2)The last Mughal : William Dalrymple
3)Spy - Hook : Len Deighton
4)Half of a yellow sun :Chimamanda Adichie
5)Murder on Washington Square :Victoria Thompson
6)The Snowman : Jo Nesbo
Vacation ends on the 15th of June and I hope to speed read one more book before that. After that nothing but exam papers correction.

message 25: by Candy (new)

Candy Marsh | 3 comments I just started The Last Man by Mary Shelley, something I've wanted to read for long time, just never got around to. I'm going on vacation next week so I'll probably be reading a couple more.

message 26: by M.L. (last edited Jun 10, 2013 06:22PM) (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I'm reading The Ministry of Fear by Graham Greene - his writing is so incredible - reminds me of David Mitchell - or should say David Mitchell reminds me of Graham Greene.

message 27: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V Graham Greene is a classic writer. Because of his political views he was never awarded the Nobel prize. Every one of his books has something new for the reader. His writing style is spare, fundamental, non-effusive and poetical. There are few writers for whom I feel reverence, he is one.

message 28: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments Completely agree. To me there are writers and then there is Graham Greene. He is what I would aspire to knowing I could never reach it.

message 30: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments Currently reading The Night of the Triffids, a sequel to The Day of the Triffids but by a different author.

message 31: by Clawdia (new)

Clawdia Chauchat | 2 comments currently reading Collapse by Jared diamond.

message 32: by Clawdia (new)

Clawdia Chauchat | 2 comments Sonali wrote: "Graham Greene is a classic writer. Because of his political views he was never awarded the Nobel prize. Every one of his books has something new for the reader. His writing style is spare, fundamen..."

could you please explain what his political views were?
I would like to know your argument as to why he is a good writer.

message 33: by Kanishk (new)

Kanishk Singh | 22 comments Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel
1984 - George Orwell
The Story of my Experiments with Truth - M.K. Gandhi

message 34: by Fran (new)

Fran (frabrenner) | 3 comments This month: Distant Hours by Kate Morton; The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh; One thousand White Women by ; The Shoemaker's Wife by Adrianna Trigiani; Plain Song by Kent Haruf; Eventide by Kent Haruf; The Secret Daughter by Shilpii Gowda; The Namesake by Jhumpa Lapiri

message 35: by Fran (new)

Fran (frabrenner) | 3 comments Remembered the author of One Thousand White Women--
-Jim Fergus. Interesting title, eh?

message 36: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments Currently reading And the Mountains Echoed.

message 39: by Leanne (last edited Jun 27, 2013 11:34AM) (new)

message 40: by Lorilee (new)

Lorilee (lthomas74) What kind of books do you write or want to write?

message 42: by Fran (new)

Fran (frabrenner) | 3 comments Just started The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

message 43: by Pam (new)

Pam | 63 comments Currently reading SLEEPING IN EDEN by Nicole Baart. It is very good.

message 44: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Fran wrote: "Just started The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey"

I just finished The Snow Child and really liked it. Please let me know what you think of the ending.