You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Chit Chat About Books > What are you reading and why? June 2013.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 112 (112 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Janice, I started the June thread, but maybe you have to close the May one?

I found English Creek even better than Dancing at the Rascal Fair
Review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Then I continued on with Ellis Peters's fabulous Cadfael series.
Monk's Hood
My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
followed by
The Virgin in the Ice

I tried to download from Downpour A Constellation of Vital Phenomena, but it failed, so I will read Fever first..... while they fix the problem.

message 2: by Ratri (last edited Jun 01, 2013 05:17AM) (new)

Ratri Anugrah (ratrianugrah) | 8 comments The Story of Us by Deb Caletti

I'm reading this because I hope the story with relate to my life :) And it reminds me of Taylor Swift's song.

message 3: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4322 comments I am still reading my E book: Gardens of the Moon. I had put it aside to read the towel challenge. I also started Notorious Nineteen a library loan.

message 4: by Chrissie (last edited Jun 01, 2013 07:44AM) (new)

Chrissie I am absolutely loving Fever! I totally empathize with Mary Mallon. This book shows you how she felt. I read another review of this book and that person said she found Mary disagreeable! I am wondering how this is possible. Is it that she read the paper book and the narrator of the audiobook, Candace Thaxton, changes one's perception completely? I feel sorry for Mary. She is lonely, she misses her "husband"/boyfriend, she is given no clear explanation of all the tests being done to her. Jeez, I just want to punch the people around her. Also Candace Thaxton's Irish accent is fabulous. Not too much accent to make it difficult to understand and not too little, just perfect!

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 13 comments Finished Something Dangerous Something Dangerous (The Spoils of Time, #2) by Penny Vincenzi last night. It's the second book in a trilogy that follows an English publishing family and their American counterparts from around 1910-ish to wherever the third book winds up. :-) The one I just finished ends right after the Second World War. So far the books have been enthralling. (Dumb titles though. Sat here this morning thinking about posting this and couldn't remember the name of the book!)

These books are also so long that I'm getting woefully behind on my goal!

message 6: by Jess :) (new)

Jess :) | 248 comments Jennifer wrote: "These books are also so long that I'm getting woefully behind on my goal! ..."
Maybe you should go by pages read, not # of books ;)

I have never heard of this series before and it looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

message 7: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2013 08:16AM) (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Just finished The Painted Man today and it was amazing. Just bought The Desert Spear which is the second book in the series but can't decide whether to go straight ahead and read that or read my L book (Lost Souls) which I had planned on reading. Decisions, decisions!

message 8: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17079 comments Sarah wrote: "Just finished The Painted Man today and it was amazing. Just bought The Desert Spear which is the second book in the series but can't decide whether to go straight ahead and read that or read my L ..."

really glad you read this. My partner, Lexx, was bullied... should I say "bullied"... into buying it by our local secondhand bookshop owner. He's now waiting on number 3.

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48838 comments I started A Geography of Blood: Unearthing Memory from a Prairie Landscape for my Alphabet challenge and also for another group's Cross Canada Challenge.

Thanks for starting the thread, Chrissie!

message 10: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Janice, it is just b/c I am in Europe, so I need the thread sooner than others! I am glad I could help.

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48838 comments Chrissie wrote: "Janice, it is just b/c I am in Europe, so I need the thread sooner than others! I am glad I could help."

I was going to write something to that effect. You see the beginning of a new month about 7 hours before I do. :)

message 12: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Adding it is no problem!

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Jennifer wrote: "Finished Something Dangerous Something Dangerous (The Spoils of Time, #2) by Penny Vincenzi last night. It's the second book in a trilogy that follows an English publishing family and their American counterparts from arou..."

I just finished that a few weeks ago and I loved it! I really do enjoy those family saga stories even though they are usually so very very long! I can't wait to read the first and the third of this series.

message 15: by Dem (new)

Dem | 944 comments Just finished and really enjoyed Ordinary Grace Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger
This is my review www.goodreads.com/review/show/605538171

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 13 comments Ann wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Finished Something Dangerous Something Dangerous (The Spoils of Time, #2) by Penny Vincenzi last night. It's the second book in a trilogy that follows an English publishing family and their American count..."

I loved the first book. Probably read the third VERY soon!

message 17: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Anna wrote: "I started 2 books today Bluestockings The Remarkable Story of the First Women to Fight for an Education[bookcover:Bluestockings The Remarkable Story of the First Women to Fight for an Education|669..."

Bluestockings looks like an interesting read Anna

message 18: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I'm starting Those in Peril by Wilbur A. Smith

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1072 comments Kimberly wrote: "Anna wrote: "I started 2 books today Bluestockings The Remarkable Story of the First Women to Fight for an Education ...

Bluestockings looks like an interesting read Anna "

It is very interesting book. I knew that women had to fight for the rights for an education but somehow I didn't thought how hard it was for the first ones and how strong was/are prejudices.

message 20: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments I just finished Inferno.
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I kept waiting for someone to read this and assure me this was better than The Lost Symbol- and thankfully it was.

message 21: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Marnie wrote: "I just finished Inferno.

I kept waiting for someone to read this and assure me this was better than The Lost Symbol- and thankfully it was."

Pleased you enjoyed Inferno. I really want to read it as I've read all the others in the series. Waiting for the price to drop on kindle!

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Marnie wrote: "I just finished Inferno.

I kept waiting for someone to read this and assure me this was better than The Lost Symbol- and thankfully it was."

Sounds pretty good Marnie! I am so glad to hear that it is better than The Lost Symbol. That was one disappointing book!

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I just finished The End of Mr. Y. This was a really unusual book, quite unlike anything I have read before. It wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it a lot and gave it a 4 star rating. Here is my review:

Next I will be reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower. This has been on my TBR for a while now so I thought I would finally start it today. Looking forward to seeing what it is like.

message 24: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I really liked Fever. Good from start to finish! Think if all historical fiction was this good. Excellent narration too.

I will start A Constellation of Vital Phenomena. By my definition this too is historical fiction, even though it describes events not yet fifty years in the past. Will it be as good?

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1072 comments Lisa wrote: "Next I will be reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower. This has been on my TBR for a while now so I thought I would finally start it today. Looking forward to seeing what it is like..."

It's awesome.

message 26: by Dem (new)

message 28: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I'm going to start Icons (Icons, #1) by Margaret Stohl because my current read Those in Peril by Wilbur A. Smith is just horrible but I'm halfway through so I have to finish it but I need a break.

message 29: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Kimberly wrote: "I'm going to start Icons (Icons, #1) by Margaret Stohl because my current read Those in Peril by Wilbur A. Smith is just horrible but I'm halfway through so I have to finish it but I need a break."

Oops, Kimberly. I thought Wilbur Smith books were good. Hmm.. Can't wait to see what you think of Icons.

message 30: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I finishedA Constellation of Vital Phenomena, which so many like....except me, it seems. I explain why in my review:

I have begun Americanah, because I have liked other books by the author. Set in Nigeria primarily.

message 31: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) I've started Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe for the monthly read and am reading Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood as my "A" title in the alphabet challenge and I just started The Magic Cup (Mass Market Paperback) by Andrew M. Greeley which I keep in my purse for when I have to wait somewhere.

message 32: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Pragya wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I'm going to start Icons (Icons, #1) by Margaret Stohl because my current read Those in Peril by Wilbur A. Smith is just horrible but I'm halfway through so I have to finish it but I need..."

I like his writing usually but it seems like this book is a dud he's overly detailed and the writing is robotic.

message 34: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Kimberly wrote: "Pragya wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I'm going to start Icons (Icons, #1) by Margaret Stohl because my current read Those in Peril by Wilbur A. Smith is just horrible but I'm halfway through so I have to fini..."

Oh. Haven't read any of his work yet.

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I've read one other book by him and that was Elephant Song by Wilbur A. Smith and I absolutely loved it. I read about 3/4 of one of his historical fiction novels but got distracted by another book (you know what that's like) and never picked it up again but loved that one too. I think he was just trying to be a little to relevant to today's other thrillers. This one is one of those books where it reads more as a summary. Theres a lot of "this happened. then this. He said this. She said that. Then this thing happened here" type of writing. Plus his characters are very one dimensional and he struggled with getting the dialogue down. He had a 19 year old party girl talking like and old school marm. Needless to say I won't be recommending this one but I recommend Elephant Song by Wilbur A. Smith When the Lion Feeds (Courtney, #1) by Wilbur A. Smith however they can be a little gruesome.

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I really enjoyed it and gave it 5 stars.

Next I will be reading Stardust which is the first book I will be reading for this month's Toppler.

message 37: by Dem (new)

Dem | 944 comments I just finished TransAtlantic by Colum McCann TransAtlantic this is my review www.goodreads.com/review/show/632037619

message 38: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I started Empty by Suzanne Weyn

message 39: by Chrissie (last edited Jun 09, 2013 06:36AM) (new)

Chrissie Tricky isn't it, when popular authors come out with new books?! Will they be as good as the ones we have loved.

I finished Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
Who hasn't read Half of a Yellow Sun? Just about everybody. For me that was a five star book.

And who hasn't read either The Kite Runner or A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini?! They are both must reads. Now I have begun his newest: And the Mountains Echoed.
I am listening to the audiobook.

message 40: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I have completed And the Mountains Echoed

Now I need a non-fiction book. The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. If I like it, I will be happy b/c it is the first of a trilogy. Will it be as good as Mornings on Horseback?

message 41: by Lisa (last edited Jun 15, 2013 12:32PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I read Stardust and Forbidden for the toppler. I loved both of these books and gave them 5 star ratings. Forbidden is one of my favourite books of all time, it was amazing! Here is my review:

Now I am reading Lolita which is also for the toppler.

message 42: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I finished Empty by Suzanne Weyn and it started off well but in the end it wasn't all that great.
Now I'm reading One Fine Day You're Gonna Die (Rapid Reads) by Gail Bowen I read the first book a couple years ago and really enjoyed it so I'm hoping this is just as good.

message 43: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Lisa, I never thought I would like Lolita. It is very, very good!

message 44: by Dem (new)

Dem | 944 comments Just finished Wonder Wonder by R.J. Palacio
This is my review;
www.goodreads.com/review/show/614695942

message 45: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I finished One Fine Day You're Gonna Die (Rapid Reads) by Gail Bowen 3 stars.

I'm starting The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan .

message 46: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I have finished Marco Polo: From Venice to Xanadu

Now I will start One Fourteenth Of An Elephant. Learning more about the Burma-Thailand Railway is fascinating, and of course gripping. It being a biography draws me.

message 47: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (melcom) | 3 comments Linda Prather's The Gifts, A Jacody Ives Mystery by Linda S. Prather absolutely fabulous mystery.

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I finished Lolita Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov and The Silver Linings Playbook The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick today for the toppler. I really enjoyed 'Lolita' and gave it 5 stars, it was brilliant and I gave 'The Silver Linings Playbook' 4 stars because it was good but there were a couple of things about it that I wasn't so keen on.

Now I am starting Jamaica Inn Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier which is my J read for the alphabet challenge.

message 49: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Lisa wrote: "I finished Lolita Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov and The Silver Linings Playbook The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick today for the toppler. I really enjoyed 'Lolita' and gave it 5 stars, it..."

One is surprised how good Lolita is. Frenchman's Creek is, I think, better than Jamaica Inn.....

message 50: by Amber (new)

Amber Today I'm starting Time Flies A Novel by Claire Cook because this gloomy, overcast, rainy day could really use an uplifting punch and I expect this 'beach read' (my summer term for chick lit) to be just the ticket.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.