Rated YA-MA discussion

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)
This topic is about Grave Mercy
Historical Fiction > His Fair Assassin by R. L. LaFevers (Grave Mercy - Group Read June 2013)

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Jan 17, 2014 11:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

message 2: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments The group read for June is now open.

If you need to talk about any major plot points (minor story details don't need to be tagged), please use this code to put your text inside of a spoiler tag and make a note of whereabouts in the book you're talking about so people know if they've read far enough to be able to click on the tag :

[image error]

We also have a fantasy casting topic in the group reads folder for those who have an active imagination and would like to show pictures of who they envision in the character roles.

message 3: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 338 comments I LOVED this book - it was just the right mix of fantasy and history

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) Completely and totally agree Dee. I enjoyed every single second I read this book. I'm not a great literary critic tho, so I look forward to the comments of the other readers on this board. But I rated it 5 stars and I have the sequel on hold at the library. It's from one of the other characters POV and sounds just as wonderful!

Angie (pinkindle) | 828 comments I will also agree! I thought this one was great! But how can you go wrong with assassin nuns??? :P

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) I totally love this book. So excited to reread it for the group read. Definitely a different type of YA.

Maree | 249 comments I remember really liking this book, especially the grudging admiration that comes out of their relationship. I was going to grab the second one to read right away, but I heard that it follows a different character. I'll still probably read it, but no need to rush.

message 8: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 338 comments yeah - the 3 books follow the three girls from the beginning, but Robin said at her signing (yes, I got to meet her, she is soo awesome!) that they are all going to have cameo's in each others books - she also said book 3 isn't going to be out for like a year and a half because she has serious editing to do on it

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) I read Dark triumph already. Even though it followed Sybella it builds on the Dutchess's story line too and there were some good cameo's from Ismae and Duval. I honestly liked it just as much if not more.

message 10: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 338 comments and PS if you guys don't want spoilers - don't google french history and the time period...lol!

I actually read a negative review for the book because the reader was spoiled by the ultimate storyline since she looked up the history...

Maree | 249 comments That's pretty funny. I'll be sure to stay away from learning the history, anyway.

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) Great tip thanks! Im waiting on #2 to come in at my library! Aarrgghh!!!!

message 13: by R.A. (new) - added it

R.A. Desilets | 375 comments I'm only 22% in, but I'm struggling. It's not gripping me as much as I was hoping. I know there's going to be something coming - as the (view spoiler). I don't know what it is with me and historical fiction, but it always takes me significantly longer to find that groove. I'll keep reading, since so many people have enjoyed this book, I know it should pick up for me at some point.

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) R. wrote: "I'm only 22% in, but I'm struggling. It's not gripping me as much as I was hoping. I know there's going to be something coming - as the [spoilers removed]. I don't know what it is with me and hi..."

Normally I can't stand historical fiction. Really, I've tried and tried and I just don't like it. But I loved this book. Must have been the paranormal twist I guess.

I did take it slow and it took a bit of getting used to the wording of the 15th century, but I gotta tell you I just adored it. I hope it picks up for you R. because it has a GREAT ending!

Waiting for #2 to come in at the library!

message 15: by R.A. (new) - added it

R.A. Desilets | 375 comments Becky (Indiana) wrote: "Normally I can't stand historical fiction. Really, I've tried and tried and I just don't like it. But I loved this book. Must have been the paranormal twist I guess. "

Don't worry, I'll stick with it. I rarely give up on books - there's only been two I DNF. ^_^

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) R. wrote: "Becky (Indiana) wrote: "Normally I can't stand historical fiction. Really, I've tried and tried and I just don't like it. But I loved this book. Must have been the paranormal twist I guess. "

Don'..."

Cool, I think I have 3, lol. I just didn't want you to think it would be a struggle the whole way through, lol.

message 17: by Nicki (last edited Jun 06, 2013 07:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicki (nicki_has_thoughts) | 43 comments I enjoyed this story. I liked the mythology of the world as well as getting to have our main character come from one of the gods/saints that most people would think of as the bad guy or evil. I liked the characters and the story. I especially liked how it all flowed together and it makes me sad to have to wait for the last book to come out. I enjoyed that it was a historical fiction. (view spoiler) I will definitely need to read the second book. This was a great read.

message 18: by D.G. (new) - added it

D.G. With you, R. I'm really struggling so far. I thought it was going to be pure fantasy and now I see it's supposed to be Historical Fiction with a fantastic element, which I'm not sure I like, specially because I cannot get behind the business of the St. Mortane or however that spelled. I'm also struggling with the concept of (view spoiler)

message 19: by R.A. (new) - added it

R.A. Desilets | 375 comments I finished reading. I really want to love it, but I really couldn't get into it until the last 150 pages or so. It was in the last part of the book that I did find myself loving it, but because the beginning dragged so much for me, I think I would only recommend this book to people that love historical fiction.

I am not the intended audience, as historical fiction and I (even with the magical flare) don't really get along.

That being said, the writing was really good, it flowed well, and the ending did make it worthwhile to stick with it. So if you find yourself struggling like I did (or like D.G. is), stick it out. The ending was worth it.

Kristie Bartlett (bartlett-k) | 14 comments I liked the book, there was just too much romance novel in it for my tastes and not enough action.

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) I will say that Grave Mercy did take a little bit to get into just because it took a little time for me to shift to the historical language vibe. But after it got rolling I was really into it. The different churches and saints I found to be interesting and there was a lot of political intrigue.

Dark Triumph I liked a little more. There was definitely more action and since it was told from Sybella's POV the voice is completely different.

message 22: by D.G. (new) - added it

D.G. But that's my thing. I actually like Historical Fiction - one of my favorite series is a historical mystery set in Tudor England. It's just the premise of this series I cannot get into - I thought it was going to be pure Fantasy.

I'm planning to return the audio.

message 23: by R.A. (new) - added it

R.A. Desilets | 375 comments D.G. - what series is that? I definitely want to give HF another shot. I think it's all going to be hit or miss for me ^_^

message 24: by Jamie (new) - added it

Jamie (jamiemayhem) | 93 comments My copy was MIA for a bit there but I have found that sucker and plan to get to it asap. Don't know if I'll get it in before the end of the month but that cover is so pretty and the tagline is so boss. I hope it's good!

message 25: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I'll probably be starting it at the end of this week. I have a couple of scheduled galley/other stuff that has to get finished off, but I'm looking forward to this.

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Alright, I'm at 27%. For those of you who've read it, I just read where (view spoiler).

I'm enjoying it. WAY more than I thought I would. This is another book I doubt I ever would have read if it were not for a group read. But I like the historical writing and backdrop, and with just enough Fantasy to give it a special twist.

So far it's not TOO romancey, but I'm not that far. Just enough to hint that something is coming. I like both Duval and Ismae and I've already grabbed book two because I'm eager to read about Sybella.

My only early complaint is that I wish they had spent more time on the friendship between the three girls in the beginning. I know they couldn't do too much but it felt like they just met and then BOOM it's 3 years later. Also, all this talk about (view spoiler). I'm guessing, since this is YA, we don't get that though.

message 27: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill (bills0) | 6 comments I finished the book. I can't say it was my favorite, but it was far from the worst I've ever read. I would probably give it about 4.5 stars. I had trouble really loving the characters enough that I would like to be friends with them.

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Good thoughts... I agree that the characters don't reach out and grab me. They're well developed, just not personable.

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) Wendy F wrote: "Good thoughts... I agree that the characters don't reach out and grab me. They're well developed, just not personable."

I was thinking about your comment Wendy... I so agree, but do you think people in general were personable in the 1400's? LOL. It just strikes me a such a strange time period to choose for Historical fiction. I still adored it anyway. Book #2 is on my counter staring me down....

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments No, I think it's hard to write historical books from that era and cut through and make them personable. Perhaps it's because we're so different as a society now... I don't know.

But I'm really enjoying the book. I'll finish it today, probably, and after writing my review have quite a bit to come back to say.

One thing though, I know everyone is talking about how they wish there was less romance in this one, so I was expecting it to be heavy on the romance and I don't think it really is. I mean, at 77% there has actually been very little romance. Some tummy flutters, sure. but only (view spoiler). To me it seems 'intrigue heavy'. No, not as much action, but that's because it's more about the intrigue and politics.

I like it, which is surprising because I'm not usually a fan of politic heavy books.

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) Wendy F wrote: "No, I think it's hard to write historical books from that era and cut through and make them personable. Perhaps it's because we're so different as a society now... I don't know.

But I'm really ..."

Compared to some books I've read there's basically zero romantic elements in this book, lol. But that's just MHO.

I was really surprised how much I actually did ADORE this book. But everyone is different and that's what makes for interesting discussions, etc.. I know there's books out there ppl have loved and I can't even get through 2 chapters, lol.

This genre normally isn't my cup of tea, but like I said for whatever reason this one captured me and I am moving on to Dark Triumph (I love Sybella's character, will be great to learn more of her) as soon as I have an opening in my TBR, lol!

message 32: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 338 comments I live this time period because it is so different - so many historical s are set around the same time and it just gets dull

message 33: by Wendy F (last edited Jun 20, 2013 05:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Hey Robin, that second paragraph is a pretty big spoiler for book two, seeing as (view spoiler).

I hope you don't mind but I'm going to delete your post so that nobody else gets spoiled. Please repost it either spoiler-marking it and noting that it is a spoiler for book two, or repost just the first paragraph.

message 34: by Andrea (last edited Jun 24, 2013 02:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea (andreaking) This book was recommended to me and it took a lot of convincing on her part. I'm not a fan of historical fiction, but I'm happy I gave it a try. Grave Mercy wasn't as great for me but Dark Triumph was awesome!

I loved Sybella (view spoiler) than Ismae (view spoiler). As a main character, I also liked Sybella more. You'll know what I mean when you read the next book. :)

I did a review on both here on Goodreads and on my blog. Feel free to check it out and see what I thought about it. :)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) Just finished this. Needs more sauce, I find.

I'm not a big historical reader so I was hoping the interesting assassin spin would carry the story. Unfortunately much of the focus was more on the political intrigues, plotting and a whoddunit mystery in Breton court and very little on the assassin-ing. Perhaps I went into it with the wrong mindset.

The romance angle was very restrained which should've worked for me... But didn't because I found it too restrained.

I was expecting more of Wanted than Elizabeth I guess.

I'm still picking up the next one though but only on the mere strength of recs. Sybella wasn't particularly interesting for me here.

Andrea (andreaking) Ash Wednesday (Cupcake Ninja) wrote: "Just finished this. Needs more sauce, I find.

I'm not a big historical reader so I was hoping the interesting assassin spin would carry the story. Unfortunately much of the focus was more on the p..."

That was exactly how I felt about it, you should definitely read Dark Triumph though. Waaaay better than the first one. :)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Ash Wednesday (Cupcake Ninja) wrote: "Just finished this. Needs more sauce, I find.

I'm not a big historical reader so I was hoping the interesting assassin spin would carry the story. Unfortunately much of the focus was more on the p..."

Reading in Sybella's voice was more interesting I think than Ismae. There is less political intrigue, still some, but mostly it is really about relationships. Not romantic but how Sybella and her family fit into the plot. Honestly being inside her head was totally different than I expected it to be from the little we saw of her in Grave Mercy.

I enjoyed the different voice and there seemed to be a lot more action in Dark Triumph comparatively. Plus many of the characters were easier to relate to and there are great moments of lightness and some hilarity in the story.

I hope you enjoy it more like I did.

Carolyn (chughesman) | 6 comments Finished this last night and I LOVED it! It had me hooked right from the beginning, could hardly put it down.

I don't read much historical fiction, but generally enjoy it when I do. Hmmmm, maybe I should read more...

message 39: by Ash Wednesday (last edited Jun 27, 2013 07:38AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) I was actually thinking if GM would've worked better for me if told from a 3rd person POV instead of Ismae's. There were some LOL worthy moments here though so I'll give it that :)

I try to relate to the books I read as much as I can, so one thing I like about historicals is the small mundane details. Everytime Ismae sends a message via a fricking crow I glance at my phone with renewed fondness. I mean (view spoiler) and she has to wait for that crow to find his way back.

Also (view spoiler)

Donna Siebold | 3 comments So far I like the book, I'm at about 40%. I'm not in awe of the story or the writing style, but I am finding it interesting. I love historical fiction - especially if it is well researched. I haven't noticed the writing to be particularly suited to the time period but I will say that the tenor of the book reminds me very much of the Ariana Franklin series, Mistress of Death. That may simply be because of the title, but I think it is also a factor of the language of the past. I definitely like it enough (so far) to continue the series but unless it changes markedly over the remaining chapters it will not be a stand-out in my mind.

Natalie | 114 comments I finished this book earlier in the month and haven't had a chance to check in.

Overall I liked it but there were sections I was more iffy. One thing I did not understand was how if you are an assassin and seduction is one of the techniques are you not trained in it at all. Ismae seemed fairly inexperienced at any type of romantic interaction. I mean, maybe she was just supposed to kill them before she had to actually do anything?

I was not aware though that the next book would follow Sybella until reading through the comments but I think it makes sense and I will definitely pick it up. I think I may even enjoy it more than this book.

message 42: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I'm about halfway in and am going to try to finish the book today or tomorrow.

I'm so back and forth on this. I like the assassination scenes but the rest of the book is dragging for me, and I actually like historical fiction.

message 43: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Moving this topic to the historical fiction folder, where it will stay open for discussion.