Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art
This topic is about Understanding Comics
Group Monthly Discussions > Optional Book Club Discussion: Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art by Scott McCloud - June 2013 (may contain spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone. There are three books tied for second place for optional book discussion for the month of June.

This is the topic for our Optional Book Club Discussion for June 2013, Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art by Scott McCloud.

The discussion will occur during this whole month of June.

If your post will contain spoilers, then please type SPOILERS in capital letters at the top of your post (or use the html code for spoilers) so that members who are still reading or have not yet read the book can avoid critical details that can spoil their reading.

Enjoy our optional book club discussion everyone.

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 163 comments What a great book this is. Essential for anyone who wants to create or think about comics.

Peter | 150 comments Yes, it was a joy to read. I don't write or draw comics, but this book made me think more about what the authors are doing, and increased my appreciation and enjoyment of the medium.

message 4: by Ava (last edited Jun 25, 2013 06:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ava Brillat (ava_brillat) | 14 comments This book changed everything I thought about comics...mainly because I read comics without thinking! What a brilliant book! I know have an understanding of why I like what I like and what elements of comic books appeals to me most. I've always loved the theoretical behind the visual. I was a bit of a junky for educational comics that describe theories. I think Postmodernism for Beginners and Foucault for Beginners were my favorites. I can definitely see the parallels between this comic and these educational guides in the form of comic books.

M0rningstar | 16 comments Read this book years ago. It was eye-opening and great fun.

Ava wrote: " I was a bit of a junky for educational comics that describe theories."

Cartoon Guide to Genetics is another great one.

Cyndi (bookchick64) I will finish this tonight. A very pleasant surprise! Great info, great presentation.