Start by marking “Cartoon Guide to Genetics” as Want to Read:
Cartoon Guide to Genetics

Cartoon Guide to Genetics

(Cartoon Guides)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  773 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Have you ever asked yourself:

Are spliced genes the same as mended Levis?

Watson and Crick? Aren't they a team of British detectives?

Plant sex? Can they do that?

Is Genetic Mutation the name of one of those heavy metal bands?

Asparagine? Which of the four food groups is that in?

Then you need The Cartoon Guide to Genetics to explain the important concepts of classical and moder
Published August 14th 1991 by Collins Reference (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Cartoon Guide to Genetics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cartoon Guide to Genetics

Mohammed Abbas
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب رائع يشرح مسائل علمية معقدة باسلوب بسيط، وإن كانت بعض المعلومات بحاجة إلى تحديث
Farhana
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-books
I had been looking for this book for a while. Another best addition to my this year's nonfiction graphic books. The book is so well-written, well-sketched, well-organized, comprehensive, and cohesive. I love its way of teaching along with some fun yet retaining the full essence of the original concepts. Cheers to this big 5 star book!
Radwa

محاولات العلماء واكتشافاتهم كانت جديدة تماما بالنسبة لي
وخصوصا محاولاتهم لعلاج مرض الثلاسيميا

ولكن حقا إلى أين تأخذنا الهندسة الوراثية؟
Abeer
كتاب رائع جدا، بيبسط كورس "وراثة 101" اللي بيتاخد في سنة اولى في الكليات العلمية، في صورة كاريكاتير خفيف الدم جدا، ليكون في مستوى القارئ الغير متخصص بالمرة، و لتسلية و تثبيت معلومات المتخصص.

نسختي مفقودة للاسف، و ابحث عن نسخة اخرى :)
Nigel McFarlane
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Hairy tomatoes, a human strawberry and some very cute enzymes. A hilarious yet comprehensive introduction to genetics. Essential entertainment for anyone interested in biology.
Katra
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've always wanted to have a grasp of genetics but was frankly afraid to poke my nose in the intimidating books on the subject. The cartoon approach was inviting and amazingly packed with a great deal of information. I'm certainly not ready to start splicing genes at this point, but the fact that I now know basically what that entails gives me a great deal of satisfaction. I would definitely recommend this book as an introduction to the subject.
Aleisha  Zolman
Nov 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: geeks of genetics
Recommended to Aleisha by: abcte board
this was a bit better than the the cartoon guide to chemistry. maybe i know more about it so that it makes it so, but it was definitely less formula driven. a good review for me in some areas, enough knowledge of key experiments and people and concepts to take a test to certify in Biology. I hope.
Vera Maharani
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pre-IBO students, every beginner who wants to understand genetic
Recommended to Vera by: My father
This is awesome.

Ever think biology sucks? And genetics...what the hell is that?

I find this book funny and helps me a lot to learn genetics. Yes, the 'simpler' one like Mendellian genetics to the 'more complicated' one like molecular genetics! I first read it back in junior high and I could understand it well, even back then. Every so-called 'hard' subjects should be cartooned!
Lio
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Extra Simplified Introduction to Genetics For Specialists and non-specialists, I recommend It For Every one :).
Pietro Poggi-Corradini
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Learned a lot, but I'm afraid it won't stick. I will likely have to return to it again in the future.
Rex Hurst
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Larry Gonick, author of the wonderful Cartoon Guide to the Universe, has found his niche with educational comics and this book is a great example of it. He’s tackled many subjects and I found this to be thoroughly researched and presented in an easy to understand manner. And a bibliography is provided if you want to delve deeper into the subject- which I did not.

This is as much a history of genetic research as it is about the basics of the subject. He begins with primitive man, moving on to th
Mythreyi Ramesh
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-readable
One of the best introductions (and overviews) one can get of Genetics. Since from when I was in school, I liked Genetics (maybe because it was the only Maths part in the Biology we studied).

It started with the basics which most, including me, are familiar with. But it then ventured into a new territory that I had never explored before, namely, "What is it that a gene does and how does it do it?".

The illustrations are going to stick to my head and I loved the whole machinery (if I can use such a
Zinat Tasnim
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the first books I read after taking on Computational Biology as my thesis topic. This book is wonderful for brushing off your rusty biology knowledge. The amazing graphics make even biology an interesting read.
Anthony Faber
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good overview of the history and some of the workings of genetics. A good introduction to the subject.
Amy
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
We’ve been using this book along with the kids’ science for years. It’s a super fun way to explore biology and genetics, but I’m finding that the format doesn’t work for everybody.
Douglas Larson
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: medicine
I appreciated the cartoon aspect of the book which made the understanding easier. But even so being a non-scientist, non-biologist, non-geneticist there are still huge gaps in my understanding. They covered the overall history of genetics mentioning the major scientists, which I appreciated. But I still had many questions about how these scientists know the things they discovered. Especially all the biochemical interactions with the DNA, RNA and enzymes. How did they discover that these biochemi ...more
Lucas Apsey
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
the most fascinating, hilarious, and informative book I have ever read.
Yates Buckley
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical, curious
Actually a handy reference even for those that have studied Genetics previously. The one down-side of the text is that it's uneven in covering theory with text, vs. diagrams and metaphorical situations. Still, the book should be on every shelf as it gives you back much more you put in. And note that not all these illustrated books, even others by Gonik, have the same effectiveness.
Ali Gharib
تعلم الوراثة بالرسوم
من اروع الكتب التي قرأتها حتى الآن سواء بسبب محتواه العلمي الغزير
او محتواه الرسومي الممتع والمسلي
المساعد على تبسيط الفكرة
وايصالها بطرح مختلفة عن المألوف
عن طريق تحويل الفكرة العلمية الى نكته نثير الضحك تبقى راسخة في الذهن للأبد
الكتاب يتحدث عن علم الوراثة منذ ان تشئ والتطورات التي مر بها حتى وصل الى الشكل النهائي الذي نراه اليوم
بداية من
كيفية تصور القدماء لعملية التكاثر والانجاب
عن طريق التناسل التلقائي و تدخل الارواح
من ثم اختراع لمجهر من قبل ليفنهوك التي اكتشف عن طريقه
Bill Mutch
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ISBN 0-06-273099-1 trade paperback 1983.

Despite the title this is not an easy read. I have a partner who throws out terms like "hex-polyploidy" like ball fans sling batting averages. I read this so I might have a clue what she's talking about.
The illustrated narrative can be very funny but also gets technical enough to leave a lay person a little foggy brained. The history goes forward from cave peoples ideas of sex to finely researched details of what happens along RNA and DNA strings as the
Tomi Pakei
Aug 30, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-ĎĿ, math-science
Lagi: bukan untuk awam
Percakapan antara dua bunga ibu dan anak:
"Gadisku, mari ibu ceritakan tentang burung-burung dan manusia.."

"Saya sudah tahu itu sejak di selokan, Bu."
Ini mungkin ada faktor penterjemahan, tetapi humor Gonick memang payah. Maksudnya jelas agar membacanya lebih santai, tapi buku ini kadang seperti terlalu ngotot untuk melawak (joke tentang pengantar susu ysng di tahun 80-an saja rasanya sudah mulai usang, entah berapa kali nongol di sini).

Isinya relatif komplet (bahkan hingga
Andrew
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rare is the book by Larry Gonick that does not deserve the highest of praise. He can take the most convoluted of subjects, and through the power of his simple, yet emotive sketches, explain technical subjects with more clarity than the best university professor.

The Cartoon Guide to Genetics is very much out of date, these days, but it is still an excellent primer on the state of knowledge about genetics up to and including the 1980's. Gonick explores the early ideas of dominant and recessive gen
Andrew Lenards
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
So the project I work on is related, currently, to phylogeny (or how things are related). These relationships are built with molecular data, genes. Gonick & Wheelis create a beautiful guided conversation on the topic of genetics. They bring you from the most early understanding of the world to the current meddling of genetic engineering and transgenic manipulation. This book has given me the proper foundation needed to grok what is available on wikipedia and other sources. Hokey, campy, or g ...more
Ginan Aulia Rahman
Buku ini kocak! Menceritakan sejarah perkembangan ilmu genetika. Orang dulu belum bisa membedakan benda hidup dan benda mati, bahkan mereka mengira batu bisa bereproduksi! hahaha. Batu yang besar jika dibenturkan ke batu yang lain maka akan membuat pecahan batu-batu kecil, nah batu itu jadi bertambah banyak, mereka kira itu adalah reproduksi! kocak banget kan?

Lalu pengetahuan manusia berkembang soal genetika hingga sampai pada teori kacang polong Mendel dan ditemukannya DNA.

Seru. seru... Saya ci
M0rningstar
The author does a great job of clarifying some complex concepts, both through textual explanations and illustrations. Even though I had no problems with the course material, I still found this book useful as a fun, relaxing way of consolidating some of what was learned in class (beats going through the course pack!) For those who find their human biology or intro-level genetics courses challenging, this book is a painless primer that will make it easier to follow the course material.
Chris
Mar 09, 2014 added it
A classic. No need to read The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science. Just read the whole Gonick series. (See also The Cartoon Guide to Physics, etc.)
Gracia Aiia
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got this book as a bday gift from my beloved friend in my senior year. She knew how I loved genetics. Needless to say that I fell in love at the first read :)
this book is the collaboration of Larry Gonick and Mark Wheelis. It is very well-illustrated. You'll grasp the basics of Genetics in no time. This book never bores me.
Sara
No better than Mark Schultz's The Stuff of Life. Reads like a textbook, but completely illustrated (and, the illustrations are obviously cartoons so they're slightly more attention-holding than those of a textbook).
Shreyas
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
An excellent intro to the field and it manages to get pretty deep for a beginners guide, while keeping the reader engaged. Some of the material is a little dated at this point - would be neat to see an updated version that talks about genomics and bioinformatics.
Rebecca
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Ever find a book that explains something so simply that you can't help but understand? This book was that for me. I put the book down understanding phenotypes and genotypes in a way I never had before. Besides that, the graphics are A LOT of fun.
  • Biology as Ideology: The Doctrine of DNA
  • The Manga Guide to Molecular Biology
  • When a Gene Makes You Smell Like a Fish: And Other Amazing Tales about the Genes in Your Body
  • Human Body
  • Stem Cell Now: A Brief Introduction to the Coming of Medical Revolution
  • Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species: A Graphic Adaptation
  • The Skull in the Rock: How a Scientist, a Boy, and Google Earth Opened a New Window on Human Origins
  • The Neandertal Enigma: Solving the Mystery of Human Origins
  • The Periodic Table: Elements with Style! (Basher Science)
  • The Secret House: The Extraordinary Science of an Ordinary Day
  • Darwin for Beginners
  • Two-Fisted Science
  • Pluto's Republic: Incorporating The Art of the Soluble and Induction and Intuition in Scientific Thought (Oxford Paperbacks)
  • The Stuff of Life: A Graphic Guide to Genetics and DNA
  • Genetics: From Genes to Genomes
  • What Einstein Told His Barber: More Scientific Answers to Everyday Questions
  • Body Brokers: Inside America's Underground Trade in Human Remains
  • Carl Sagan: A Life in the Cosmos

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Larry Gonick (born 1946) is a cartoonist best known for The Cartoon History of the Universe, a history of the world in comic book form, which he has been publishing in installments since 1977. He has also written The Cartoon History of the United States, and he has adapted the format for a series of co-written guidebooks on other subjects, beginning with The Cartoon Guide to Genetics in 1983. The ...more

Cartoon Guides (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Cartoon Guide to Calculus