Buy No Books June Support Group discussion

Susan's List to Wipe Out

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SYL (last edited Jun 12, 2013 01:33PM) (new)

SYL (syleegurl) This is my list of books I own that I'm gonna try and read in June to (finally) get off my TBR:

After Ben ...gave up
Again
Catch Me If You Can
Fair Game
Tales from Foster High
Gives Light
Hushed
Magic Mansion
The Salisbury Key
Tigers and Devils
Wes and Toren

message 2: by Emma Sea (last edited Jun 01, 2013 03:19PM) (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) That seems pretty manageable. I've got 75 books m/m books I own and need to read. I don't think I can get through those in 30 days.

message 3: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) Emma wrote: "That seems pretty manageable. I've got 75 books m/m books I own and need to read. I don't think I can get through those in 30 days."

Oh...I have WAY more than just this. These are just the ones that I'm targeting to read this month! Ha!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

You people are much to organized. I have so many books I can just randomly sort thru them and pull something out. <---my plan

message 5: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "You people are much to organized. I have so many books I can just randomly sort thru them and pull something out. <---my plan"

I'm on the Kate Plan for picking books.

Susan, read Fair Game! It's really good. Also, I dug Magic Mansion big time.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Catch Me if You Can is fun. T&G is long and has no sex, so if you read it you've been warned and can't bitch! :>

message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess Candela (jesscandela) | 9 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "You people are much to organized. I have so many books I can just randomly sort thru them and pull something out. <---my plan"

Yes, this. That's why things like this and the M/M Bingo are good.

message 8: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) Tales from Foster High - done.

Next up: Catch Me If You Can

Grumble: I keep getting ARC's pushed my way. I really, really want/need to make a dent in my "own-to-read" list moreso than read new books that I'm getting for free.

message 9: by Ais (new)

Ais (aisness) | 26 comments So this is probably a stupid question, but are you guys just individually and/or arbitrarily deciding what books and how many you want to read in June? I ran across this group sort of by accident when I saw it mentioned in my feed but I wasn't sure if I missed a discussion that preceded the existence of the group that would give me a little more context on what I should try doing, myself.

message 10: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) I think we've mostly been approaching it at random, but Cheryl just suggested a pick-it-for-me challenge :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm doing randoms. Trying to get rid of some physical paper books.

message 12: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
For me it's random and mood-based, but to work through what I own. (Although my next read after Hell's End, I borrowed...)

message 13: by Ais (new)

Ais (aisness) | 26 comments Thanks guys :)

message 14: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Randoms. I want to finish Bad Attitude, Mechanical Heart, another BDB book, and then Idk a few others that strike me.

I'd like to start Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal sooner than later.

message 15: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) Jenn wrote: "Randoms. I want to finish Bad Attitude, Mechanical Heart, another BDB book, and then Idk a few others that strike me.

I'd like to start Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal ..."

And we have to start A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin ! Did you buy it already? I got it on May 31st! ha!

message 16: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Susan wrote: "Jenn wrote: "Randoms. I want to finish Bad Attitude, Mechanical Heart, another BDB book, and then Idk a few others that strike me.

I'd like to start Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's C..."

Yessssss, I went to Barnes a couple months ago and bought the 4 pack deal. It's just been sitting there waiting for a nudge. I. Can't. Wait.

I'm really going to need help, though. I just tried reading some quick cliffnotes to the first book, and that got me confused. Uh-oh.

message 17: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) @Jenn...I started book 1 awhile ago and gave up! ha! But, we've got a support system! And you guys have me to bring up the rear as the stupid one who doesn't get it! ha! :)

message 18: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Susan wrote: "@Jenn...I started book 1 awhile ago and gave up! ha! But, we've got a support system! And you guys have me to bring up the rear as the stupid one who doesn't get it! ha! :)"

lololol. Well we have lots of friends who have read it so I'm counting on all of them to help BOTH of us! :) And dammmmmnnn everyone, all this Red Wedding talk everywhere is making me want to check spoilers and I can't.

message 19: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) Jenn wrote: "all this Red Wedding talk everywhere is making me want to check spoilers and I can't. ..."

Just. F'ing. BRUTAL. Like, "holy shitballs" brutal.

message 20: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Susan wrote: "Jenn wrote: "all this Red Wedding talk everywhere is making me want to check spoilers and I can't. ..."

Just. F'ing. BRUTAL. Like, "holy shitballs" brutal."

As long as Jon Snow (view spoiler) Daniel, Kate, and Suze don't tell me! *chants in head* (view spoiler)

message 21: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) "Catch Me if You Can" done. I really liked it. I'm itching to read the sequel...anyone know if it's lendable?

message 22: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I think I have it. I gotta check & I'm not near my computer. I'll let you know in like 15 min or so.

message 23: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Susan wrote: ""Catch Me if You Can" done. I really liked it. I'm itching to read the sequel...anyone know if it's lendable?"

Amazon has it as lending-enabled, so it's lendable. I think I lent mine out a long time ago, but MM Romance group has a pretty active lending center.

message 24: by SYL (new)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I think.....After Ben. Just because. :D

message 26: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Fair Game! :D It's a fun Lanyon mystery.

message 27: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) Kate wrote: "I think.....After Ben. Just because. :D"

This book is BORING. But everyone LOVED it! Seriously. What am I missing?

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Susan wrote: "Kate wrote: "I think.....After Ben. Just because. :D"

This book is BORING. But everyone LOVED it! Seriously. What am I missing?"

I didn't read it because I didn't like the kindle sample, but all my friends raved over it.

message 29: by Jenn (last edited Jun 12, 2013 08:22AM) (new)

Jenn After Ben? It's Twilight fanfiction. Maybe you don't like Edward! :) At least that's what my friend told me. She loved it. I haven't read any of that series.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

It doesn't feel like Twific from the excerpts I've read, but who knows. There's so much out there you can't possibly avoid it.

message 31: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I can't imagine it would read like that based on the blurb. Seems like total ends of spectrum. I'm still trying to decide what to read next. I'm supposed to read that pudding book & Openly Straight, but we shall see.

message 32: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) I'm 25% in and have put it down 3 times. There's no clear couple for now...it's all about this Theo guy and his life, you know..."after Ben". ha! But, he's got a few different candidates for love interest, and I hate when I'm confused as to who the pairing is supposed to be. I'm not a "love triangle" kinda gal. :) But EVERYONE loves this book. I'm slugging along...

I never make the connection w/ twilight fanfics. NR Walker had one Sixty Five Hours (I think) that I had no idea. I'm not that creative. ha!

message 33: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Susan wrote: "I'm 25% in and have put it down 3 times. There's no clear couple for now...it's all about this Theo guy and his life, you know..."after Ben". ha! But, he's got a few different candidates for love i..."

Me, too, Susan. I don't read fanfic normally so I'm usually clueless unless someone tells me. Even then I don't usually notice ha!

Well, everyone loves those damn My Fair Captain books and to me, those things are a hot mess. *shrugs*

Is After Ben sad?

message 34: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Oooooh, My Fair Captain! @.@

message 35: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) Jenn wrote: "Is After Ben sad? ..."

Since it takes place after Ben's loss, we don't really get to know him or build an attachment. So it's sad for the MC, Theo, as he tries to move forward. But, it only really sad'ish from a distance.

message 36: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) Jenn wrote: "Is After Ben sad? ..."

I just read through everyone's reviews and people were an emotional wreck. Which confirms: I. AM. DEAD. INSIDE.

message 37: by Emma Sea (last edited Jun 12, 2013 01:36PM) (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) Lol @ "that pudding book"

message 38: by Jenn (new)

Jenn LOL, nahhh, you aren't, Susan!!! Now I'm curious to see if I'd get upset (I doubt it). People said they were snot-nosed wreck on the floor for Chase in Shadow, and yeahhhhh....uh no.

Emma, that's what I'm been referring to it everywhere lol. The funny thing is everyone always knows what I'm talking about. :)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Susan wrote: "Jenn wrote: "Is After Ben sad? ..."

I just read through everyone's reviews and people were an emotional wreck. Which confirms: I. AM. DEAD. INSIDE."

Zombie! And you've had us all fooled for months.

This is me and Amy Lane, always. People talk about crying, being emotional wrecks, using boxes of tissues, and I'm left feeling kind of weird because Hey! no tears. Not even a slight little prickle of them, only feelings of irritation and wanting to whack someone (usually the author, but also the characters).

message 40: by Lenore (new)

Lenore (xlenorex) | 14 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "I just read through everyone's reviews and people were an emotional wreck. Which confirms: I. AM. DEAD. INSIDE."

I started reading After Ben, read one paragraph, and put it aside. Don't ask me why.

message 41: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) Shit...I'm really not making any progress on these books. Maybe I should just write them off altogether.

Ok, I have to finish Fair Game. Problem is I started it as an audio book and am keen on finishing it as such...but have no time/instance to actually listen. Urgh.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Susan wrote: "Shit...I'm really not making any progress on these books. Maybe I should just write them off altogether.

Ok, I have to finish Fair Game. Problem is I started it as an audio book and am keen on f..."

This is why audio is a pain for me. a) you have to have time: be stuck in the car or at the gym or something brainless (don't try it when you are working on a complicated recipe <---don't ask how I know. b) they are at least 2-3x as slow as reading it and c) It's really hard to skim or skip parts. :D

message 43: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) I tried to do audio book on my flight over to Paris. I feel asleep w/in minutes. The best lullaby ever (though the Fair Game narrator is actually really good...not cheesy like some of the others I've heard!)

message 44: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) End of month recap:

*Read 2.5 of the books on my list. Grrrr...
*I cheated and spent $2.99 on a book that could have waiting.
*The best reads of the month were ARC's and I'm feeling really good about a couple of those.
*I'm extending my no-buy until the 15th of July when I get back from vacation. I'm going to try to finish a couple more on that list. Wifi is spotty anyway so I probably can't download anything new.
*One exception: I'm pre-ordering 20 copies of Glitterland for those who want/need for the buddy read.

This was fun! Thanks for letting me tagalong, Emma!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Why are you even awake??!

message 46: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Susan wrote: "End of month recap:

*Read 2.5 of the books on my list. Grrrr...
*I cheated and spent $2.99 on a book that could have waiting.
*The best reads of the month were ARC's and I'm feeling really good ab..."

I can't wait for Glitterland!!!! I read the first 2 chapters online, and I completely fell in love. Like loved. I'm glad your review and Kris' brought a new author to my attention.

I've read I think 4 books or so this month?? Trying to finish one or two more before the end of the day.

And, yes, Emma, this was most fun! :)

message 47: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Whoa, you're going to the 15th? Good luck!

You did great, and you did have a lot of reading this month, most of which was free-free-free, so feel good. :)

message 48: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) Kate wrote: "Why are you even awake??!"

I'm in France for work. :)

message 49: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) Jenn wrote: "I can't wait for Glitterland!!!! I read the first 2 chapters online, and I completely fell in love. Like loved. I'm glad your review and Kris' brought a new author to my attention...

Yeah...it's one of my favs of the year!! And AJH is such a freaking rockstar and good person. I'm excited for him!!!!

message 50: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments I'm reviewing Glitterland for Jessewave, so no need to buy me a copy.

Good job exerting your willpower and reading more on your list!

« previous 1