Read 100+ Books in 2013 discussion

June Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 103 comments Mod
I haven't been doing very well with the themes but I'll try to do better this month:

1. Read a book written by an author whose name starts with F.
2. Read a book with an F in its title.
3. Read a children's book.
4. Read a book someone recommended to you.
5. Read a book about summer.
6. Read a book about swimming or being in the water.
7. Read a book about a movie or TV show.
8. Read a humorous book.
9. Your choice.

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Jun 30, 2013 04:26PM) (new)

Rachel Let's see how June goes:

1. Read a book written by an author whose name starts with F. The Choice-Suzanne Woods Fisher 6/23/13
2. Read a book with an F in its title. Faith-Lori Copeland 6/21/13
3. Read a children's book. Where's Spot?- Eric Hill 6/15/13
4. Read a book someone recommended to you. Three Complete Novels On the Case with Lord Peter Wimsey Strong Poison/Have His Carcase/Unnatural Death-Dorothy L. Sayers 6/19/13
5. Read a book about summer. A Season for Tending-Cindy Woodsmall 6/10/13
6. Read a book about swimming or being in the water. Swimming Lessons-Mary Alice Monroe 6/26/13
8. Read a humorous book.
9. Your choice. Beside Still Waters-Tricia Goyer 6/1/13; Cutting for Stone-Abraham Verghese 6/7/13; Sarah's Key-Tatiana de Rosnay 6/11/13; Katie Opens Her Heart- Jerry S. Eicher 6/27/13; Until We Reach Home- Lynn Austin 6/28/13; Against the Tide-Elizabeth Camden 6/30/13

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Beside Still Waters (The Big Sky Series, #1) by Tricia Goyer 6/1/13
This was such an interesting novel. I liked the characters, and I like how Marianna's journey is both physical and spiritual. A well-written and unique Amish story. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more by this author.

message 4: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments This should be a fun month. My book that starts with F is "Fame" by Karen Kingsbury. I'm planning on getting some F. Scott Fitzgerald out of the library when I take the kiddies to sign up for the summer reading program. We have recommendations for Pete the Cat books for children's book. I got lots of ideas for this month. I like the theme choices too.

message 5: by Sheila (last edited Jun 30, 2013 05:38PM) (new)

Well, here I go.

7/9, 25 book

1. Read a book written by an author whose name starts with F--Chasing Heaven Amish Romance Boxed Set by Becca Fisher--finished 6/20/13.
2. Read a book with an F in its title--First Taste by Paisley Smith--finished 6/24/13.
3. Read a children's book--Adventures of Iggy and Sammy by E. Paul Chedda--finished 6/2/13.
6. Read a book about swimming or being in the water--Return to Zire: Airion, Book 1 by J. S Council--finished 6/19/13.
7. Read a book about a movie or TV show--While We Were Watching Downton Abbey by Wendy Wax--finished 6/11/13.
8. Read a humorous book--His Right Hand by Silence O'Shea--finished 6/1/13.
9. Your choice--A Book That Ends With Me by H.C. Turk--finished 6/4/13.

Bonus:
Acquired Taste by Shayla Kersten--finished 6/2/13
10 Sexy Stories by various authors--finished 6/2/13
Ace of Spades by J. Hali Steele--finished 6/4/13
Tinky and the Baby Butterflies by Susan Spira--finished 6/5/13
An Abandoned Woman by Lexie Conyngham--finished 6/6/13
Angel Diaries, Volume 1 by Larissa Hinton--finished 6/8/13
Taeh Goes to the Vet by Wendy Healy-Hindmarch--finished 6/8/13
Craig's Legacy by Terry Campbell--finished 6/13/13
Crocodile Rock: Ten Silly Poems for Kids by Tom Skinner--finished 6/17/13
Super Snail Sale by Tom Skinner--finished 6/17/13
Diets Suck: Discover Why You Are Overweight and Lose the Fat Forever by Janice Rivers--finished 6/20/13
Fading Echoes by Jaime McDougall--finished 6/24/13
The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat by Edward Kelsey Moore--finished 6/25/13
The Submissive by Tara Sue Me--finished 6/26/13
The Dominant by Tara Sue Me--finished 6/27/13
Framed: A Historical Novel about the Revolts of the Luddites by Christy Fearn--finished 6/28/13
Beta Read--finished 6/29/13
Cupcakes by Daniel Kelley--finished 6/30/13

message 6: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments I have finished two of this months challenges. I read my F book "Fame" by Karen Kingsbury and my children's book "The Bourbon Street Musicians". I posted my reviews of them on my page. I liked them both. For my next book I will read "To Have or Have Not" which got turned into a movie.

message 7: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Like Sheila, I haven't been doing well with the themes that have suggested but I'm trying!

"City of Glass" by Paul Auster
8. Read a humorous book.
9. Your choice.

message 8: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Just finished reading "15 Seconds" by Andrew Gross - 3/5 stars. I wanted to enjoy this book so much more. The ending was predictable and the characters, well, they were OK.

Now reading "The City of Glass" by Paul Auster.

"A detective-story writer named Quinn becomes involved in a bizarre case. A phone call from a man who believes someone is trying to kill him leads to a case more mysterious than anything Quinn could concoct. In this tale of strange reversals and shifts of identity, a character named "Paul Auster" makes an appearance as a man obsessed with Quinn's story."

message 9: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments As the month continues . . .

"Death Without Company" by Craig Johnson
8. Read a humorous book.
9. Your choice.

message 10: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Finished "City of Glass" by Paul Auster.

Now reading "Death Without Company," Book 2 of the Walt Longmire series.

"With his debut novel, The Cold Dish, Craig Johnson proved himself a strong new voice in the realm of literary mystery. In his newest work, Johnson again takes us to Sheriff Walt Longmire's Absaroka County, Wyoming.
When Mari Baroja is found poisoned at the Durant Home for Assisted Living, Sheriff Longmire is drawn into an investigation of her death that proves to be as dramatic as her life. Her connections to the Basque community, the lucrative coal-bed methane industry, and the personal life of the previous sheriff, Lucian Connally, lead to a complex web of half-truths and assumed allegiances. As the specter of Mari's abusive husband arises, Sheriff Longmire, aided by his friend Henry Standing Bear, Deputy Victoria Moretti, and newcomer Santiago Saizarbitoria, must connect the past to the present to find the killer among them. Death Without Company is a riveting tale of the unspeakable viciousness that can lurk in the most beautiful and unlikely of places."

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese 6/7/13
This is a truly interesting historical novel. It is written very well, and it is informative as well as entertaining. It does take some thought to keep track of the characters and plot lines, but it's well worth reading.

message 12: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Rachel wrote: "Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese 6/7/13
This is a truly interesting historical novel. It is written very well, and it is informative as well as entertaining. It does take some thought to keep..."

I read this this a few years ago and is one of my favorites. Tremendous story with memorable characters.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A Season for Tending (Amish Vines and Orchids #1) by Cindy Woodsmall 6/10/13
This novel had a pretty slow start for me, but once I finally got into the story, I enjoyed it. The writing is good if a bit slower paced, and the characters are interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about the "premonitions" and "gut instincts" Rhoda experiences, but I do like how she likes to help people. Overall, a good read.

message 14: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Manda wrote: "hi everyone i'm back and missed you all x have only read 13 books so far this year - been knitting way more than reading and still have my target of 52 books to read this year so need to play catc..."

Welcome back Manda - Great hearing from you!

message 15: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments I just finished reading F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Last Tycoon". It was good but not one of my favorites by him. It would have been interesting to see how Fitzgerald would have finished it had he lived. I am moving on to the book recommended by someone else. I will be reading "Never Cry Wolf". My husband suggested that I read it.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay 6/11/13
This was a fairly interesting novel that goes back and forth between 1942 and more-or-less present day. The parts dealing with the round-up of the Jews is depressing, but it's not graphic about anything, a fact that I appreciated. It was written fairly well, and it's emotionally grabbing, of course, but I didn't care too much for many of the characters although it was interesting to see the varying reactions and changes in the lives of the characters as they learned their connection to a very specific tragedy.

message 17: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments As the month continues . . .

"The Likeness" by Tana French
8. Read a humorous book.
9. Your choice.

message 18: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Finished reading "Death Without Company" by Craig Johnson, Book #2 of the Walt Longmire series.

Now reading "The Likeness" by Tana French, Book #2 of the "Dublin Murder Squad" series.

"Six months after the events of In the Woods, Detective Cassie Maddox is still trying to recover. She's transferred out of the murder squad and started a relationship with Detective Sam O'Neill, but she's too badly shaken to make a commitment to him or to her career. Then Sam calls her to the scene of his new case: a young woman found stabbed to death in a small town outside Dublin. The dead girl's ID says her name is Lexie Madison (the identity Cassie used years ago as an undercover detective, and she looks exactly like Cassie.

With no leads, no suspects, and no clue to Lexie's real identity, Cassie's old undercover boss, Frank Mackey, spots the opportunity of a lifetime. They can say that the stab wound wasn't fatal and send Cassie undercover in her place to find out information that the police never would and to tempt the killer out of hiding. At first Cassie thinks the idea is crazy, but she is seduced by the prospect of working on a murder investigation again and by the idea of assuming the victim's identity as a graduate student with a cozy group of friends.

As she is drawn into Lexie's world, Cassie realizes that the girl's secrets run deeper than anyone imagined. Her friends are becoming suspicious, Sam has discovered a generations-old feud involving the old house the students live in, and Frank is starting to suspect that Cassie's growing emotional involvement could put the whole investigation at risk. Another gripping psychological thriller featuring the headstrong protagonist we've come to love, from an author who has proven that she can deliver."

message 19: by Sheila (new)

Manda wrote: "hi everyone i'm back and missed you all x have only read 13 books so far this year - been knitting way more than reading and still have my target of 52 books to read this year so need to play catc..."

Welcome back, Manda. We've missed you and glad you could return to us.

message 20: by Sheila (new)

Just finished While We Were Watching Downton Abbey. Good chick lit about friendship and what it means. Lots of fun!

message 21: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments So I finished my book that was recommended by someone. My hubbie Paul recommended "Never Cry Wolf" by Farley Mowat. It was a great read about his time learning about wolves for the Canadian government. It debunked many things people thought about wolves at the time. It was interesting to read about one of my favorite creatures and I learned a lot from it. Very good book if you like nature. Next I will read my summer book "Rising Tides" which takes place at a summer home.

message 22: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Colleen and Nanda,
Take a look at "The Tenderness of Wolves" by Stef Penney, you may like to read it.

message 23: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments Manda wrote: "Colleen wrote: "So I finished my book that was recommended by someone. My hubbie Paul recommended "Never Cry Wolf" by Farley Mowat. It was a great read about his time learning about wolves for th..."

You would love "Never Cry Wolf".

message 24: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments Chuck wrote: "Colleen and Nanda,
Take a look at "The Tenderness of Wolves" by Stef Penney, you may like to read it."

Thanks for the tip. I'll add it to my list.

message 25: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments Wow. This has been the best I've done on the themes so far this year. I've finished my choice about summer which was "Rising Tides". Great historical fiction book for anyone who likes that genre. I'm moving on to my choice this month "Waging Heavy Peace", Neil Young's autobiography. Look forward to seeing what that has to say. I love music. Neil Young is growing on me as I get older so this should be a good read. I'll let you know.

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Where's Spot? by Eric Hill 6/15/13

My son got this book this weekend as a belated birthday present. We have now read it many times. A cute little book. :)

message 27: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments Rachel wrote: "Where's Spot? by Eric Hill 6/15/13

My son got this book this weekend as a belated birthday present. We have now read it many times. A cute little book. :)"

My kids loved that book and the videos it spawned.

message 28: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments June continues and getting ready for our 6 week camping trip to the Pacific NorthWest . . .

8. Read a humorous book.
9. Your choice.
"Echelon" by Josh Conviser

message 29: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Now reading "Echelon" by Josh Conviser.

"In the time it takes to read this sentence, Echelon will intercept more than 70,000 phone calls, e-mails, and faxes. Operated by the National Security Agency, Echelon is the most pervasive global eavesdropping network in history. Today, Echelon will capture three billion electronic communications.

Imagine what it will do tomorrow.

In the near future, war is unknown, conflict has vanished, and life is picture-perfect. Or so it seems. Once merely a surveillance net, Echelon has severed its ties with the United States to become the covert power shaping world affairs. It manipulates the data flow at will, snuffs out dissent, and controls information–and thus the world–with an iron fist. But after years of silent dominance, Echelon stands on the brink of collapse.

Honed, armed, and bioengineered to the hilt, Ryan Laing, a veteran Echelon operator, is thrust into a dark conspiracy to overthrow Echelon and draw the world into new violence and chaos. With his handler, Sarah Peters, a neo-punk hacker out of Scotland, Laing embarks on a desperate race through the halls of power and across the globe–from the flooded beachfront of Venice, California, to a murderous jungle in Southeast Asia–to find out who in Echelon is playing God . . . and what greater hell will soon be unleashed."

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel On the Case with Lord Peter Wimsey Three Complete Novels/Strong Poison/Have His Carcase/Unnatural Death by Dorothy L. Sayers
6/19/13
Having read all of Sayers' short stories about Peter Wimsey, I was excited to read some of the novels. They were very well-written, exciting, and interesting. I truly enjoyed them.

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Faith (Brides of the West, #1) by Lori Copeland 6/21/13
This was a fun, sweet Christian romance. It's written well for the genre, and I enjoyed it a great deal. The characters were well drawn and interesting, and I liked how the story was about overcoming pride and stubbornness that keeps a person from true love and happiness.

message 32: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Manda wrote: "Chuck - I'm very envious of your mega trip away - I could do with a holiday but with hubby starting new business just not possible......

so breaks away still only in my head with my books.....lol!"

This trip has been planned for sometime now. We leave Southern California the 1st week in July and returning the week of August 19th, 10 days before schools begins!

Going as far north as Astoria, Washington/Mount St. Helen's area and lots of state parks and national parks in between.

I'm sure after the business starts up there will be time for those trips!

Be well!

message 33: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments Chuck wrote: "Manda wrote: "Chuck - I'm very envious of your mega trip away - I could do with a holiday but with hubby starting new business just not possible......

so breaks away still only in my head with my ..."

Have a great trip. Sounds like fun.

message 34: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Colleen wrote: "Chuck wrote: "Manda wrote: "Chuck - I'm very envious of your mega trip away - I could do with a holiday but with hubby starting new business just not possible......

so breaks away still only in my..."

Thank you very much!

message 35: by Sheila (new)

Chuck wrote: "Manda wrote: "Chuck - I'm very envious of your mega trip away - I could do with a holiday but with hubby starting new business just not possible......

so breaks away still only in my head with my ..."

Enjoy your trip! Stay safe and return to us.

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Choice (Lancaster County Secrets, #1) by Suzanne Woods Fisher 6/23/13
This is both a new favorite and a new author. I truly enjoyed this Amish novel. It's well written, entertaining, and has well drawn characters.

message 37: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments I finished my choice for the month, Neil Young's Waging Heavy Peace. I liked it. I would recommend it for any fan of music or Neil Young. I found his thought processes interesting and at times drifting. Overall it was good read. Next I'm going to start "The Road to Take When Life gets Serious". I actually won it on Goodreads and it is about my hometown, Pittsburgh so I thought that was an appropriate choice for water. I'll let you know.

message 38: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments 2 more weeks before are 6 week camping trip to the great Pacific North West!

"Water Witches" by Chris Bohjalian
8. Read a humorous book.
9. Your choice.

message 39: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Finished reading "Echelon" by Josh Conviser this afternoon, 4/5 stars!

Now reading "Water Witches" by Chris Bohjalian.

"Set in the Vermont countryside, Water Witches is a tale of the clash between progress and tradition, science and magic. In the midst of a nightmarish New England drought, cynical ski industry lobbyist Scottie Winston is trying to get a large ski resort the permits it needs to tap already beleaguered rivers for snow. His wife, his little girl, and his sister-in-law -- dowsers or "water witches" all -- hope to stop him."

message 40: by Sheila (new)

Just finished "The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can Eat" by Edward Kelsey Moore. This book is fantastic! It follows three women who have been friends since their teen years as they hit middle-age and have to deal with health issues, death, family, friendship. I laughed, I cried, I laughed 'til I cried. Great character development. Everyone knows people like these. Just great:

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Swimming Lessons  by Mary Alice Monroe 6/23/13
This was a good novel mainly about mother-and-daughter relationships, like the first novel Beach House. It's well written, the characters are well drawn and interesting. I really enjoyed it and learned a bit more about sea turtles again.

message 42: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Katie Opens Her Heart (Emma Raber's Daughter, #1) by Jerry S. Eicher 6/27/13
I truly enjoyed this one. I feel that Jerry Eicher has become so much more experienced as an author. The first few books I read by him were a little dry and strange, but the books I've read by him this year and last were much better. This novel was well-written and entertaining. I enjoyed the changes in the characters as well and look forward to reading more of this series.

message 43: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 56 comments I finished "The Bridge to take when things get serious". I loved this book. I learned some new things about my hometown. I felt the author wrote with an honesty that isn't in other peoples writings. I related to her life in many ways. An excellent read.

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Until We Reach Home by Lynn Austin 6/28/13
This was a well-written and engaging historical novel. The characters were well drawn, and I enjoyed seeing them overcome obstacles and mature both as persons and as believers.

message 45: by Sheila (new)

Manda wrote: "I finished Some Kind Of Fairy Tale. My second graham joyce novel read. At school reading a midsummers night's dream shakespeare's sexual references were there loud and clear to a class of gigglin..."

It may be on my wish list but it will be a while before I get to it. ;)

message 46: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Just 1 more week before hitting the road!

"Water Witches" by Chris Bohjalian
8. Read a humorous book.
9. Your choice.
"Blaze" by Richard Bachman (Stephen King)

message 47: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Finished reading "Water Witches" by Chris Bohjalian - Enjoyed this book tremendously - 4/5 stars.

The author's opening lines: "Some people say that my wife's sister is a witch. My father, for one. My brother, for another. And while I will not dispute their use of the term when they are merely alluding to her somewhat contrary nature, I do take issue with them when they use the word to malign what she believes is her calling."

Now reading "Blaze" by Richard Bachman/Stephen King.

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Against the Tide by Elizabeth Camden 6/30/13
This was a suspenseful and interesting historical novel. The characters were well portrayed, and I enjoyed learning something about early Naval intelligence and about opium smuggling and consumption in America.

message 49: by Janice (new)

Janice (seejanread) 1. Read a book written by an author whose name starts with F. - If I Stay - Gayle Foreman
2. Read a book with an F in its title. - Blood Feud. The Hatfields & the McCoys: the Epic Story of Murder & Vengeance by Lisa Alther
3. Read a children's book. - Isabella, Star of the Story by Jennifer Fosberry
5. Read a book about summer. - How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True by Sarah Strohmeyer
7. Read a book about a movie or TV show. - This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith (takes place in a small town in Maine during the filming of a movie .... Very loose interpretation of the topic)
8. Read a humorous book. - Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell
9. Your choice.  - The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller

I did not finish the entire list, but 7 out of 9 isn't bad!

message 50: by Sheila (new)

Janice wrote: "1. Read a book written by an author whose name starts with F. - If I Stay - Gayle Foreman
2. Read a book with an F in its title. - Blood Feud. The Hatfields & the McCoys: the Epic Story of Murder &..."

That's good. I hope you're having fun.