Start by marking “The Choice (Lancaster County Secrets #1)” as Want to Read:
The Choice (Lancaster County Secrets #1)

The Choice

(Lancaster County Secrets #1)

With a vibrant, fresh style Suzanne Woods Fisher brings readers into the world of a young Amish woman torn between following the man she loves--or joining the community of faith that sustains her, even as she questions some of the decisions of her elders. Her choice begins a torrent of change for her and her family, including a marriage of convenience to silent Daniel ...more
Paperback, 1st, 308 pages
Published January 1st 2010 by Revell

To ask other readers questions about The Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Choice

Start your review of The Choice (Lancaster County Secrets #1)
Stefani
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to be honest with you - I read this because it was a free Kindle book. In the end, I loved it!

To give you a little background: I was raised in a mixed religion household (my father is Jewish, my mother is Catholic) and I do not consider myself a religious person. I expected this book to be too religious for me, but I was really surprised.

Carrie is an Amish girl, part of the "Plain Folks" society of Lancaster PA. I expected a sort of "Boy-Meets-Girl" storyline but WHEW, there are twists
Erin
Jan 23, 2010 rated it really liked it

This is the first book I've read from author Suzanne Woods Fisher and it certainly won't be my last. I enjoy how Suzanne writes, as her writing style was easy to read and the captivating story kept it hard to put down. I read The Choice in a day in a half and am so sad that the story is over. I'm really look forward to more books in the Lancaster County Secrets Series!

The Choice is a tale full of moral values, family, faith, and tragedy. I was quite intrigued learning about the Amish ways as
Renee
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Up until recently I have been wary of picking up Amish fiction simply because they seem to be so repetitive in themes and storyline. Over the past 2 years or so there has been an influx of new authors in the "bonnet" fiction genre that are really bringing a freshness to books focused around the Amish way of life. I am excited to say that Suzanne Woods Fisher is one of those great new authors.

Her first foray into Amish fiction, The Choice, deals with a young woman facing the difficulty of
Abbie
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My first response to this book after I finished was WOW! This book had more twists and turns then I ever expected! The book starts out with Carrie in love with Solomon. He is Amish but loves baseball and has been playing behind the back of his community. He gets drafted to play as a pitcher and wants Carrie to come with him. She wants to but days before they are set to leave a tragic even changes everything and she remains behind heartbroken. She ends up marring Daniel to get her and her brother ...more
Jess
I ultimately liked the resolution of this, but good lord, the number of deaths. I don't think I've read anything with that high a body count outside a book where there are actually battles taking place.
Jerry
May 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too tragic. I hope the series improves after this.
Melissa Lee
After the sudden death of her father, Carrie’s plans to run away with beau Sol are changed in favour of raising her younger brother Andy. Angry with her decision, Sol leaves her and their faith behind for a chance of becoming a baseball star. Meanwhile, Carrie concerned with the future and well-being of her brother decides to marry a young man named Daniel and become baptised into the Amish church. She and Andy move onto a new farm with Daniel, his father and Grandmother Yonnie. In a bid to get ...more
JanetTronstad Author Tronstad
A beautifully written book. Love the descriptions of Amish life -- they're woven into the story so naturally. The characters are alive in this book.
Susan
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I know, I know - another Amish book? I thought the same thing. Just how many haystack dinners, Sunday Singings, Shoo Fly pies and general gemutlichkeit can one person take, huh?

But, The Choice is different than many other Amish fiction books I've read. Here you'll find the typical gentle, slow-moving Amish life on steroids. There are deaths, multiple trips to the hospital, accidents, marriages, widowings (is that a word?) ... suffice it to say that you will not be bored with The Choice.

The book
Kaylea
Jun 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
One of the things I liked about Fisher's novel is that the characters seem believable - sometimes more so than other Amish novels on the market today.

Fisher said she is very deliberate about making her characters "realistic" for readers.

"Some of it comes from giving characters flaws, so that they become believable," Fisher explained. "Readers can identify with a character when he/she isn’t perfect."

One of those realistic characters is Steelhead, who unexpectedly appears in the novel and shows
SheLove2Read
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I think this book is a perfect example of why any one thought, religion, or practice can be too rigid.

There are times in the book when I wanted to strangle Carrie for being so thoughtless and unbending. Jesus gave us Grace to live under so that we aren't bound by strict rules and regimens that leave no gray areas. I cannot imagine telling my sister that even though we worship the same God, read the same Bible, and share the same feelings towards faith being a part of our daily lives, that I
Zette
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
April Gardner
Feb 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One moment Carrie Weaver was looking forward to running away with Lancaster Barnstormers pitcher Solomon Riehl—plans that included leaving the Amish community where they grew up. The next moment she was staring into a future as broken as her heart. Now, Carrie is faced with a choice. But will this opportunity be all she hoped? Or will this decision, this moment in time, change her life forever?
(back cover copy, “The Choice”)
For Carrie Weaver, it’s all about choices, tough ones. Deciding whether
Debbie Lester
Jan 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My Synopsis:

The Choice (Lancaster Country Secrets Series - Book 1) by Suzanne Woods Fisher

In The Choice, the first book in the Suzanne Woods Fisher's new Lancaster County Secrets series, Carrie Weaver is forced to decide between her life in the Amish community where she grew up and the unknown world outside.

When her father dies suddenly, Carrie enters into a marriage of convenience to provide a home for herself and her brother, Andy. But, her broken heart keeps her from becoming totally
Joanie Bruce
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a sweet story, full of faith, dedication to family/community, and forgiveness.

Carrie Weaver has many choices to make in this story, but the one that affects her life the most is whether to leave her Amish home and family to run away with the love of her life. That choice shapes the rest of her life, and takes her down a path that in the end, helps her find true, fulfilling happiness.

What I liked: The characters were likable, the plot was unexpected with a couple of twist and turns, and
Sam
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I feel biased. I admit I rate lighter on Amish fiction.

I LOVED how Fisher put in the cons of Amish life as well. All the Amish fiction I've read has a little bit of a "holier than thou", detached depiction of their lives. As if the Plain way is the only way that is right. I loved how Fisher brought in both. The peace of Amish life, but also the conflict.

What I didn't like was, I suppose, the redundance of Amish fiction. I can ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS predict what is going to happen. They all run on
Jocelyn Green
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Here's what I liked about the book:
I learned some fascinating things about the Amish culture I wouldn’t have known otherwise
While the book shared some positives and negatives about the Amish lifestyle, it didn’t seem like propaganda to convince the reader that the Amish are either all good or all bad.
I couldn’t tell which way the story was going to go- and it was refreshing to not be able to predict the ending!
There were several plot lines twisted together, not so much to complicate the
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Nov 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Simply enjoyable. This is truly a story that shows how each choice you make carries a consequence. Sometimes those consequences are good and sometimes they are filled with sorrow and regret. While she loves her Amish world, Carrie's life hasn't been easy with a prickly step mother and a father and brother who suffer from hemophilia. But, when she falls in love with Sol, nothing else matters.

After heartbreak and disappointment, however, she chooses a different path; one that keeps her within the
Janeice
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful story, captivating and gives a real understanding of being Amish. It was wrote well and a lot of detail. It was so good it was hard to put it down. Suzanne shows how things work out when we trust the Lord and learn to forgive and accept forgiveness from God and others. I would recommend this book and am so glad that I got it to read.
✨ Gramy ✨
Reading this Amish romance was anengaging experience. Maybe it was not as compelling as some other Amish series that I've read, but still I liked it.

Getting to know the characters, you share the struggle, deciding between all you have ever known and the unknown.

The book is clean and wholesome, able to stand on its own, and provides an HEA.
April
4+ Stars

I will be honest, I am not a big Amish story reader; however, I decided to give this one a try. I am so glad that I did! While it took me a little over a chapter to get hooked in, from that point on I was immersed in the story.
Fisher writes honest, refreshingly real characters. I enjoyed seeing them work through life, learn, grow and find their place in God's story. A worthwhile read; with heart, faith, family and love all woven seamlessly together.
Jennifer Taylor
Nov 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Amish book I have finished reading from the beginning to the end. I tried an Amish novel a few years ago, but couldn't get passed chapter one. Therefore, my finishing it should say a lot about this novel. It grabbed my attention--the way it was written, the intriguing story plot, and the engaging characters. One of the things that surprised me about this book was the fact that it contained an element of suspense to a murder mystery. There was one plot twist I didn't see coming ...more
Karen Korb
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts About The Book: I am a huge fan of Suzanne Woods Fisher and have read many of her books and must say I have enjoyed them all. This book is no exception. This book is the first in a series so I got to meet the characters from the very beginning. This was nice. I was immediately drawn into the book and felt as if I had known Carrie for a long time. This was my first Amish book that was filled with so many life altering issues. I could not believe all the problems that just kept popping ...more
Cafelilybookreviews
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it

Carrie Weaver is in love with Solomon Riehl, and shares a life changing secret with him. In a community where movies, cars, electricity and bicycles are banned, Sol’s baseball pitching contract weighs heavily on their minds. Carrie’s family isn’t fond of Sol, so their relationship must also be kept a secret.

When Carrie’s father dies, Sol asks Carrie to run away with him and be married. As much as Carrie loves Sol, she’s terrified of leaving her 9 year old brother Andy, with their overbearing
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a change of pace from what I normally read. This being said I did really enjoy the book's diversity and overall feeling of hope and peace. This book represents the very simple things in life that most of us have forgotten in the hussle and bussle of life with all of it's modern conveniences. I think for me reading this book was about or getting to see things for how simple they really are instead of missing out on what is truly beautiful knowing God's love for us. This book simply ...more
Sandy Mckenzie
Feb 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have been always been fascinated with the Amish and their lifestyle. I can't even begin to say enough good things about this book. This is the first of Suzanne Woods Fisher's books that I've ever read and I can definitely say that it won't be the last. The emotions that the characters felt were well portrayed and any reader, whether they've gone through similar circumstances or not, can relate to what each character must be feeling at any given time. I could not put it down!

The book starts off
steph
For a free book I picked up on my kindle, this wasn't half bad. I will admit, I was blown away in surprise at one part and slightly surprised by another which is different for me. Usually, I can see exactly where a book is headed. So kudos to the author for that.

I will admit, having read quite a few Amish books the writing manner of this one in describing the Amish and their belief's, interactions, daily life seemed a bit dull and lifeless to me, but looking at all the reviews on here I'm pretty
Joan
Aug 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I rarely read 'religious books - I hate having someone's views thrust down my throat - but this was recommended to me and I started reading it much as I would a sci-fi AU story with world-building and a totally different way of life.

And it worked. I didn't get uppity about the religious aspects, or the seemingly incomprehensible (to me at any rate) ability of people to be so darned NICE in the face of real unpleasantness!

In some places it dragged, and there was a fair amount of repetition, but
Paula-O
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
wonderful story by Suzanne Woods Fisher book #1 in the Lancaster co secrets, "Choice", this was about Carrie and the choices she had to make in her life. I like reading bout the simple life of the amish and sometimes in maturing they make choices that arent always the best ones and then have to live with those choices. This is something we all have to do in our lives. I am ready for book #2 to see how these choices made some of the folks lives change, was it for better or worse???
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is NOT your average Amish fiction book. The author wasted no time educating us about the Amish culture. I have read a few now and this one is different. The story line was varied, interesting and hard to put down. You will love it! (Even if you have had your fill of shunning and buggy accidents.)

• A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • Courting Cate (The Courtships of Lancaster County, #1)
  • A Hopeful Heart (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #1)
  • The Covenant (Abram's Daughters, #1)
  • The Christmas Orphans
  • The Brethren (Annie's People, #3)
  • The Timepiece
  • Plain Perfect (Daughters of the Promise, #1)
  • The Parting (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #1)
  • The Crossroad (Amish Country Crossroads, #2)
  • An Amish Reward: An Amish Romance Inspired by a Beloved Bible Story
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Preacher's Daughter (Annie's People, #1)
  • The Thorn (Rose Trilogy, #1)
  • The Struggle (Kentucky Brothers, #3)
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Secret (Seasons of Grace, #1)
  • The Shunning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1)
Suzanne Woods Fisher is the bestselling, award winning author of fiction and non-fiction books about the Old Order Amish for Revell Books, host of the radio-show-turned-blog Amish Wisdom, a columnist for Christian Post and Cooking & Such magazine.

Her interest in the Amish began with her grandfather, who was raised Plain. A theme in her books (her life!) is that you don’t have to “go Amish” to

Lancaster County Secrets (3 books)
  • The Waiting (Lancaster County Secrets, #2)
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)
“There’s a verse in the Bible that says God has the length of our days planned out. He knows when it’s time for a person to pass. The psalmist wrote that God has the days of our lives all prepared before we’d even lived one day. It’s all part of God’s plan. Some die sooner than others, and that’s hard, real hard to understand, but that’s God’s business. Our work is to trust him about those things.” 1 likes
“Would she ever learn to be content in this life she chose? She felt so strange inside. Sad and lonely and missing the life she thought she would have.” 1 likes